Options

RIO Olympics 2016

Comments

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,461
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    1 gold & 1 bronze medal so far for HELLAS

Post edited by Pap on
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123

What else can you say about Phelps? He's unbelievable. One of the greatest athletes of all time.

Pretty sure Katie Ledecky will be holding this title in a few years.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,763

What else can you say about Phelps? He's unbelievable. One of the greatest athletes of all time.

Yeah...she is unbelievable. No one is even close to her in these races.
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,896
    Jason P said:

I really care nothing about swimming in general, but I really enjoy watching Phelps smote fools.

Then you gotta check out Katie Ladecky....Holy shit it's crazy to see how good she is.

It's like she is PJ of her sport and the next best are nickleback and kid rock. That's how much she dominates.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,896

RKCNDY said:

Hope Solo is the absolute worst. I almost cheer against the USWNT because of her.

Yeah, I just saw her quotes. She's a all-time great goalie, but very unlikable. Shocked by the lack of attention all of her off the field bullshit gets.
    She's all over the news here... :|
    Yeah, that makes sense in her hometown and where she plays. Like dyer said above....if an NFL player had her track record and was still playing, the outrage would be off the charts.
    Clear cut double standard. Very unfair really. Ray Rice couldn't even get a team to call him for a try-out because they are so scared of the potential backlash.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    edited August 2016
  • Options
    What a game! It took 2 extra-time periods to have a winner! Kudos to both teams! Nice basketball! :clap:
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,083
    Wobbie said:

Wobbie said:

I'm getting a tad tired of swimming and gymnastics. personally, I don't mind watching sports the USA doesn't dominate.

You should watch the badminton tomorrow, America are shite at that :wink:
    I would watch that if I could find it.

I was pretty good at badminton, back in the day.
    good at the shuttlecock eh?

Hi Wobbie !!!!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,593
    Great athlete but sure does help to get medals when there are so many darn swimming events.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,495
    Pap said:

What a game! It took 2 extra-time periods to have a winner! Kudos to both teams! Nice basketball! :clap:

Yeah, that was a hell of a game between Argentina and Brazil.

What the hell happen to Lithuiania? I know Spain is pretty good, but to lose by 50 points???
  • Options
    cutz said:

What the hell happen to Lithuiania?

They always have a very solid and talented team, but also unpredictable. It's either that, or they have already started to save some energy for the next round. :wink:
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124

Great athlete but sure does help to get medals when there are so many darn swimming events.

LOL

It does help when you can compete in 10 events every four years.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,593
    Jason P said:

LOL

It does help when you can compete in 10 events every four years.
    To win four Olympics in a row is amazing and could be greatest Olympian just for that.

• Options

Really? The fact that he has won so many different events is what makes his career even more amazing. Most people do 2-3 events and he has done at least 5-6 for the past 4 olympics.
  • Options
    Pap said:

cutz said:

What the hell happen to Lithuiania?

They always have a very solid and talented team, but also unpredictable. It's either that, or they have already started to save some energy for the next round. :wink:
    Oh, i know about Lithuiania, because they usually play the USA tough.

LOL>I do beleive they did quit (to save some energy), but Spain was a desperate team too as they HAD to win or risk being eliminated.
  • Options

Really? The fact that he has won so many different events is what makes his career even more amazing. Most people do 2-3 events and he has done at least 5-6 for the past 4 olympics.
    That, and he competed against a lot of swimmers where it was their only event. And he still won.

Didn't Phelps make a Final in his first Olympics at age 15?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,625
    Bolt is fast
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    cutz said:

That, and he competed against a lot of swimmers where it was their only event. And he still won.

Didn't Phelps make a Final in his first Olympics at age 15?
    phelps is a great athlete ... more because of how long he's been able to do this ... but his record medals are aided by being a swimmer ... all the peeps with the most medals are swimmers ... there are just too many events ... think about it ... if you swim freestyle ... and you only swam it 100 m - you could win 3 medals ... 100 m individual; 4 x 100 m relay; 4 x 100 m medley relay ... now add the fact swimming another 100 m is not that much harder ... and you get another 2 shots ...

they say the greatest athlete is the decathalon winner - he will only ever get 1 medal ...
  • Options
    3 medals (2 gold & 1 bronze) so far for HELLAS

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

those two should have babies...can you imagine they kind of swimmer they could be?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123

RKCNDY said:

those two should have babies...can you imagine they kind of swimmer they could be?
    I honestly think they'd have a fish.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,683

Bolt is fast

Nice to see he's taking Canada's Andre de Grasse under his wing.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    So strange seeing so many empty seats for track and field.
  • Options
    4 medals (2 gold, 1 silver & 1 bronze) so far for HELLAS

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126

Bolt is fast

He sure is, never seen a sprinter 6ft 5 this fast he faster taking less strides with his frame....it always amazes me that the tiny island of Jamaica (pop. 2.5 mil) has some of the fastest sprinters in the world for both male and females. It has to be those yellow jams from the Parrish of St. Ann. :smile:

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited August 2016
    I'm so happy for the femal Swedish soccer team now in the final, it's incredible that they won over Brazil !
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Annafalk said:

I'm so happy for the femal Swedish soccer team now in the final, it's incredible that they won over Brazil !

and the US! ... great run for that team! ... good luck against germany!
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    Loved Shaunae Miller's dive over the line :smile: Pity Christian Taylor couldn't pull off something really special but a great performance nonetheless
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,780
    My sister is on her way to Rio now. Her son has Cystic Fibrosis and this was his Make A Wish. The wishes aren't just for terminal kids, it's for all kids with chronic illness and trust me CF is chronic. Anyway, excited for them. I'm house, pool and dog sitting for the next week. USA, USA!!!

Actually good luck to all the athletes.