Comments

• Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    Jason P said:

D-Generation X!!! Ah the memories
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited August 2016

Gymnastics team absolutely killed it! Phelps kickin ass as usual! (His parents went to the same high school as me!) And tell me there isn't a better smile in the world than the fastest woman in the water, Katie Ledecky!

Katie Ledecky is really great, from Sweden we have Sara Sjöström bringing proudness to her country :)
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,413
    bravo ANNA for the gold!!!!make us proud listen our national anthem in rio,,thank u!!

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,763
    edited August 2016

Phelps is the best American Olympic ever ......

He's the best Olympian ever at this point and I don't think it's even close.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420

In the HISTORY of the Olympics, he has more gold medals than the following COUNTRIES:
    Ethiopia
    Argentina
    Austria
    Jamaica
    Kazakhstan
    Iran
    Czech Republic
    North Korea
    Mexico
    Belarus
    Estonia
  • Options

he is..best ever!!
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Austria has 77 gold medals.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Jason P said:

Austria has 77 gold medals.

18 in summer olympis
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,354

After further review I totally agree !!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,562
    I'm getting a tad tired of swimming and gymnastics. personally, I don't mind watching sports the USA doesn't dominate.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Wobbie said:

I'm getting a tad tired of swimming and gymnastics. personally, I don't mind watching sports the USA doesn't dominate.

Boo hoo
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    Wobbie said:

You should watch the badminton tomorrow, America are shite at that :wink:
  • Options

Wobbie said:

You should watch the badminton tomorrow, America are shite at that :wink:
    I would watch that if I could find it.

I was pretty good at badminton, back in the day.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

What the hell kind of American are you?
  • Options

Wobbie said:

I like the underdog.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    No wonder Brazil hasn't scored a goal yet..they are too busy flopping every chance they get..it's ridiculous..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    wow..must have heard me
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options

No wonder Brazil hasn't scored a goal yet..they are too busy flopping every chance they get..it's ridiculous..

it's soccer, isn't it? joke of a sport.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,896
    Wobbie said:

it's soccer, isn't it? joke of a sport.
    On that, we can agree.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

Wobbie said:

I like the underdog.
    Soooo, rooting for the Cubs come playoff time?? :smiley:
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Wobbie said:

At least those are activities that seem to involve athleticism. It's weird to watch sports like synchronized swimming, trampolining (or whatever you call it), and BMX racing in the Olympics. In 2020 they're going to include rock climbing. Wonder how they score that.

Plus the USA women's gymnastics were phenomenal. I was sore just watching them.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    Speaking of events the USA has or has NOT dominated in table tennis and badminton. Two events they have NEVER won or even made the final. Love some table tennis but this year there's a chance the USA has a chance in badminton men's which in play has some of the fastest serves in any racket sports near 200 mph.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p said:

Speaking of events the USA has or has NOT dominated in table tennis and badminton. Two events they have NEVER won or even made the final. Love some table tennis but this year there's a chance the USA has a chance in badminton men's which in play has some of the fastest serves in any racket sports near 200 mph.

Peace

table tennis,china is killing it
  • Options
    so funny.crowd in tennis even cheers and scream at out..lol
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    It's unfortunate that the beach volleyball facility is a temporary one....recycle the damn thing if nothing else.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,683
    edited August 2016

Wobbie said:

At least those are activities that seem to involve athleticism. It's weird to watch sports like synchronized swimming, trampolining (or whatever you call it), and BMX racing in the Olympics. In 2020 they're going to include rock climbing. Wonder how they score that.

Plus the USA women's gymnastics were phenomenal. I was sore just watching them.
    Whoa. All of the sports you just mentioned take insane amounts of athleticism, especially synchronized swimming and trampolining. I used to be a swimmer, and I tried my hand at synchro swimming one year just to see how I could manage it, and I quit because it was SO fucking hard I couldn't handle it or even really do it at all no matter how hard I tried. Just keeping my head above water was a challenge, and I was a very strong swimmer. I have never done any other sport that hard in my life. And my cousin was 3rd in the World in trampolining. She was as strong, fit, and physically and mentally disciplined as any Olympian (while she was 3rd in the World Championships she didn't make the Olympics. Can't remember why now. If she was injured or just did badly at the wrong competition). She trained for years and years to get to where she did. And I'm just surprised that you can look at BMX cross and think it doesn't involved athleticism that is worthy of the Olympics. It's so exciting and dangerous, lol (unless you didn't mean it like that. If not, sorry, but I'll still defend those sports and very difficult and valid Olympic sports).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Well, I knew somebody would correct me on that, and well-deserved. Sorry to sound like I'm denigrating those athletes, because I didn't mean to. I should have used a different word than athleticism. I don't doubt that it takes plenty of hard work to do each of those activities and I'm sure the same is true of rock climbing, so bring it on for 2020.

I'm not sure how to express what I'm thinking here. It's not that I think the Olympics should be all about tradition and only do the sports the ancient Olympians did. Maybe it's that some sports kind of lend themselves to my tendency to make fun of practically everything? Some sports just seem like kind of a weird fit. OTOH I know something like beach volleyball requires plenty of effort and ability but I don't find it very interesting to watch or even laugh at. Same thing with golf.

I don't think of swimming and gymnastics as great viewing just because they're dominated by US athletes. That wasn't always the case and I still enjoyed watching them. Gymnastics in particular impresses me because it's obviously so difficult and requires so much training to pull off something while making it look fun. Not to mention what a klutz I am.

Anyway, swimming will end soon and we can talk about other sports. I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy watching badminton or table tennis. The speed and coordination are impressive.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,370
    When do they start again?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Why do the women wear shorts and tanks in indoor volleyball and then for beach volleyball they wear tiny bikinis?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

Why do the women wear shorts and tanks in indoor volleyball and then for beach volleyball they wear tiny bikinis?

Glad I'm not the only one that wondered about that. :lol: