The strings attached for tickets

Comments

• duffmannduffmann Posts: 475
    edited August 2016

myoung321 said:

We met a fellow member at FLL that got his ticket exactly this way... He waited 3 hours in merch line. Another member apparently had a pair with 1 extra... I don't know.. I think it could be looked at both ways.. It's a community helping each other kind of a deal or It's a extortion ;)... fine line.

A lot of this is cured with Lottery winners getting a pre-sale merch package ;)

The line actually wasn't as horrible as I anticipated. I met REALLY cool people, & got a killer tan. The lawn chair was key & the bottled water. So the deal was he & his girlfriend both won the lottery. He sold me a pair for face & a drink to get his merch....... STILL owes me the beer, I'll catch up with you ONE of these shows Wes! lol I've Never waited in a line like that before until Philly 2 16 when I was on the rail.... Shout out to MakeUSmile, WHAT a show that was.....10!
    Post edited by duffmann on
    Philly PA 91, Philly 92, Camden 98, Camden 2X 00, State College, Philly, Camden 2X & Hershey 03, Reading 04, AC 2X & Philly 05, Camden 2X 06, Camden 2X 08, Philly 4X 09, Philly 2X & Balt 13, Natti & Moline 14, FTL & MIA, Philly 2X, MSG 2X, Fenway 2X 16, Seattle 2X, Missoula, Wrigley 2X, Fenway 2X 18                               ******COVID******
    San Diego & LA  2X, PHX, MSG, Camden, Nashville, 50th SHOW STL 22, CHI(n2), INDY, FTW(n2), Austin 2X 23......
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    If both are parties OK with the terms, who cares?

Not like they're asking for a BJ on top of the trade.

(I assume)
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,243
    hedonist said:

(I assume)

Who cares? Probably the guy, who in reality only wants to pay face value for a ticket, but feels his only alternative to having to buy a ticket for triple face value on the secondary market is to ***pretend*** he is cool with waiting in line for 3 hours like an indentured servant so he can pay a reasonable price for a ticket. AND to have a chance to do that, he is FORCED to stand in line....OTHERWISE the seller will simply sell it to a buyer who will agree to his DEMANDS, under the ruse of it being ***mutually beneficial*** And the supply is so sparse, you know the seller will have his pick of the litter for potential buyers. Sad.

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

hedonist said:

(I assume)

Who cares? Probably the guy, who in reality only wants to pay face value for a ticket, but feels his only alternative to having to buy a ticket for triple face value on the secondary market is to ***pretend*** he is cool with waiting in line for 3 hours like an indentured servant so he can pay a reasonable price for a ticket. AND to have a chance to do that, he is FORCED to stand in line....OTHERWISE the seller will simply sell it to a buyer who will agree to his DEMANDS, under the ruse of it being ***mutually beneficial*** And the supply is so sparse, you know the seller will have his pick of the litter for potential buyers. Sad.

But does everyone attach strings? Seen many straight-up offers...as well as more on the side of the initiator offering an extra effort or two vs. the recipient.

Not as if they're gonna be a butler like on Seinfeld.

If not happy with the deal, you're free to move on and find another avenue. No one is being forced to accept the offer; if you don't like it but are willing to compromise your time or integrity or sweat or anything else - and sacrifice that for a ticket - that's on you.

*disclaimer - "you" meant in the general sense.
    The problem, though, is that LATELY it's not the prospective buyer offering; it's a contingency of sale and that is wrong.
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Posts: 4,830
    edited August 2016
    I gave someone a TOTD Philly ticket for free in exchange for standing in line for me

The merch lines have gotten absolutely insane. I am happy to not have to wait in the line, he is happy to have a free ticket to TOTD. I don't see anything wrong at all.

Honestly, the line will probably be 4-5 hours long. Giving away a 100$ ticket is well worth it to me, well worth it.
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • pulling69pulling69 Posts: 983

The problem, though, is that LATELY it's not the prospective buyer offering; it's a contingency of sale and that is wrong.

This...if the buyer offers upfront a beer, to stand in line for you for something or for a period of time, cool. When the seller starts offering conditions for the sale it gets out of hand(other than the standard buy me a beer, I think we can all agree that is fine and never going away lol). Ticket sellers saying "hey I have a spare, I will sell it to you if you buy me dinner, pay for a beer, and buy all of my merch(Ill give you the cash for that)" are getting out of hand.

PS In all fairness I have never asked for anything other than a beer for a ticke but due to the generosity of other people here have gotten more unsolicited. Wrigley I got a Spectrum shirt, a beer, and a big Gatorade(which came in very handy during the show), Detroit I sold my extra to some rather quirky guys from across the border and I think I ended up with a free beer or two, Memphis my extra went to a group that were super cool and we hung out all night.
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited August 2016
    What about the other way around? What if the member already wants to go get merch and picking up a couple extra things for a fellow member / ticket buddy works to get them in the show. If we keep it in the family and no one is forced, then I don't see an issue. We've all bought things for other members we've met along the way.. a sticker, poster.. whatever...a least I would hope most have :) ... it's kinda part of the community..
    Post edited by myoung321 on
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• pulling69pulling69 Posts: 983
    If someone posts a thread/ad like "need a ticket, Ill get you a beer or stand in the merch line" well then that is on the buyer and I would think more than acceptable to the masses(the buyer is putting the stipulation on the ticket). Sellers adding stipulations like "buy me 3 beers, stand in the merch line for me on day 1 before I arrive, and call an Uber after the show" are crossing the line.
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Posts: 5,902
    I agree with the OP. It's gotten out of control. People get away with scalping and those who don't try things like this. It's unfortunate.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951
    Tickets have turned into currency :money:
  • buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951
    myoung321 said:

Giving both our extra pairs for Wrigley to another member... Have now given extra pairs to least 6 or 7 shows,,always to members here... never requested anything other than for them to think of us when the ticket lottery luck turns the other way..... Ticket Karma baby... Personally I can't wait in those lines, especially in summer... I wouldn't pressure someone else to do it... but hey if you're going anyway pick me up a a couple things ;)

You the man M!!!!!
  • 1rogeraspain21rogeraspain2 Posts: 104
    edited August 2016
    Face value means face value. "Sweetening the pot" by any means (monetary or otherwise) is a violation of the spirit of the rule whether you're the seller or the buyer. The rule is in place to avoid the kind of bargaining the OP is talking about. That's how I take it. Seems pretty simple.

As far as trading goes (one for one) -- whether for different seats or a different show -- I don't really have a problem with that. If both parties agree to a straight up swap, so be it. That's their business.
    Post edited by 1rogeraspain2 on
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    Maybe posting here will help, since I put it everywhere else on the freakin boards....

I'm in search of a face value pair for Friday night Fenway

I can't wait in the Merch line as I have to work until 12 and I'll be coming from CT.....

But..... I'm a nice person and a longtime Tenclubber fan that got shut out in the lottery for Friday and had zero luck at the regular sale :blush:
    I'm trying NOT to support Stubhub or Tickets Now.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    MayDay10 said:

The biggest symptom to me that tickets are being purchased as a commodity are how plentiful "extra pairs" are. During tour times they seem to be offered up (for other pairs) more and more.

To me, this is a sign that people are figuring out how to double dip and more in the lottery... and also are overbuying to try to flip into other shows.

To me, this goes against the traditional 10c policies on tickets.

lottery is the method only,,the same was before..a couple,both 10c members get tix..lotery or f5 and they have extra pair to trade if both win lottery or score with f5,,
    thing is the demand is HUGE..all want to see the band and more travel to more than hometown shows..and they try to have as many tickets they can..to trade,to flip,to whatever
    this band sell out stadiums of 70k
    i rememebr a few years alot was saying ,pj will not play ballparks,cos cant sold outn big venues ..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549

i agree with this..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    edited August 2016

i agree with this..
    I get your guys point, but, if you have a product that you KNOW is in high demand, and would have multiple inquires about within minutes, why wouldn't you sell it to the person who can help you out with something else you need? It's not like another fan is "missing out" because you do this, someone is still getting tickets that they don't have and may not get otherwise.

And I know demand is high, because my post about the free TOTD ticket in exchange for Fenway merch line was responded to and worked out in literally under 5 minutes.

Also, this kind of thing is only going to happen more, not less. Every show, the line gets longer, and more and more people find it not worth it and are willing to shell out the extra cash on ebay or giving away free tickets in exchange for the merchandise.
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845

MayDay10 said:

The biggest symptom to me that tickets are being purchased as a commodity are how plentiful "extra pairs" are. During tour times they seem to be offered up (for other pairs) more and more.

To me, this is a sign that people are figuring out how to double dip and more in the lottery... and also are overbuying to try to flip into other shows.

lottery is the method only,,the same was before..a couple,both 10c members get tix..lotery or f5 and they have extra pair to trade if both win lottery or score with f5,,
    thing is the demand is HUGE..all want to see the band and more travel to more than hometown shows..and they try to have as many tickets they can..to trade,to flip,to whatever
    this band sell out stadiums of 70k
    i rememebr a few years alot was saying ,pj will not play ballparks,cos cant sold outn big venues ..
    I was one of those people saying PJ couldn't sell out ball parks. I was wrong.

The lottery forces people to have to have to try to double dip to give themselves better odds.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,710
    MayDay10 said:

I think its probably a combination of folks intentionall figuring out how to double dip the lottery and folks who end up "double dipping" by chance/luck. 2 folks who plan to go to a show together (be they husband & wife or buddies or whatever), both enter the lottery cause the odds for the show are at 49% and they both get picked, but only need 1 pair, then they have an extra pair. How they choose to unload the spare pair becomes an issue sometimes.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    edited August 2016

i agree with this..
    I get your guys point, but, if you have a product that you KNOW is in high demand, and would have multiple inquires about within minutes, why wouldn't you sell it to the person who can help you out with something else you need? It's not like another fan is "missing out" because you do this, someone is still getting tickets that they don't have and may not get otherwise.
    Because you are supposed to be selling for face value. Period. Nothing extra attached. See my above post if you can't comprehend why it's wrong.
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 14,982

i agree with this..

And I know demand is high, because my post about the free TOTD ticket in exchange for Fenway merch line was responded to and worked out in literally under 5 minutes.

Also, this kind of thing is only going to happen more, not less. Every show, the line gets longer, and more and more people find it not worth it and are willing to shell out the extra cash on ebay or giving away free tickets in exchange for the merchandise.
    Got to disagree with you on all that. The tickets are supposed to be face value only. You're attaching an extra benefit to the face value of the ticket. There is clearly an extra benefit to you otherwise you wouldn't be picking the guy willing to stand in line for hours over the guy that just wants to give you $90 for the ticket.

Nothing personal, but not cool.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Hugo ReyesHugo Reyes Posts: 244

hedonist said:

(I assume)

Then don't take the deal. No one is forcing the person in your scenario to wait in line. The "ruse of being mutually beneficial"? It totally is! I bet many people who don't have tickets would gladly wait in a line if it meant they could get a face value ticket. In fact, I'd say the person waiting in line makes out better than the seller. To your point, the seller could quietly sell that ticket for 5 times face value because of limited supply.

hedonist said:

(I assume)

Then don't take the deal. No one is forcing the person in your scenario to wait in line. The "ruse of being mutually beneficial"? It totally is! I bet many people who don't have tickets would gladly wait in a line if it meant they could get a face value ticket. In fact, I'd say the person waiting in line makes out better than the seller. To your point, the seller could quietly sell that ticket for 5 times face value because of limited supply.

According to your rules, scalping 10c tickets is fine....I mean....nobody forces anyone to pay more than face value, right??

Please
    Nope...never came close to saying scalping 10c tickets is fine. It's a fact, however, that tickets could be scalped for a ridiculous profit. Doesn't mean people should do it, it's just a fact.

Nope...never came close to saying scalping 10c tickets is fine. It's a fact, however, that tickets could be scalped for a ridiculous profit. Doesn't mean people should do it, it's just a fact.

But why not, if people are willing to pay extra?

You seem to think its okay as long as both parties consent. No?

Yes...I'm ok with it. Not here to make judgements on others. If someone wants to sell a ticket for $10,000 and someone else is willing to pay for it, then who am I to judge either of them? One of them is making a ton of money and the other is going to enjoy a heck of a show.

That being said, I wouldn't do it. Probably naive of me but I enjoy the whole Pearl Jam group-thing. In a shitty world, it's a little escape for me. And, back to me being naive, I'd feel like I ruined that little escape if I cashed in on my tickets. But that's me. Doesn't make me better or worse. Just what works for me.

But that's a little different than trading a ticket for time in a line/merchandise. Regardless of where you stand on the whole scalping thing, that seems a little different.
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 14,982
    We accept the ten club tickets with the rule being you can't sell above face value. That's a fact. Whether you can sell it for a million bucks is immaterial because they put that stipulation on it before you ever make the purchase.

I think people are crazy to be bragging on here that they are flipping their tickets for time spent on a merch line. Almost begging for the ten club to cancel their tix.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

edited August 2016

i agree with this..
    Because you are supposed to be selling for face value. Period. Nothing extra attached. See my above post if you can't comprehend why it's wrong.
    Yep, still not comprehending how it's wrong.

Someone who is waiting in the merch line regardless now has a free ticket to a show where tickets are almost double face value for doing something he is doing anyway

That sounds great to me. I stand by my decision. When the 10club tells me I can't give away my extra ticket, free of cost, for someone to stand in line for me, that's when I will say I am wrong.

And for what it's worth, I traded a ticketmaster ticket, not a 10c ticket
    duffmann said:

myoung321 said:

We met a fellow member at FLL that got his ticket exactly this way... He waited 3 hours in merch line. Another member apparently had a pair with 1 extra... I don't know.. I think it could be looked at both ways.. It's a community helping each other kind of a deal or It's a extortion ;)... fine line.

A lot of this is cured with Lottery winners getting a pre-sale merch package ;)

The line actually wasn't as horrible as I anticipated. I met REALLY cool people, & got a killer tan. The lawn chair was key & the bottled water. So the deal was he & his girlfriend both won the lottery. He sold me a pair for face & a drink to get his merch....... STILL owes me the beer, I'll catch up with you ONE of these shows Wes! lol I've Never waited in a line like that before until Philly 2 16 when I was on the rail.... Shout out to MakeUSmile, WHAT a show that was.....10!
    Yeah, Duffman and I worked out a great deal with similar circumstances. But I owe him a few drinks at the next show were at together!
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855

I don't think it's okay under any circumstance to sell a 10C ticket for over face. I go a step further, I'll only sell to another member through this forum, to make sure it's not scalped. I have not personally seen scalping in the community, but I'm sure it happens.

Let's not pretend people don't line up for others in the GA line, for the same reasons brought up concerning merch.
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

This discussion has been closed.