Options

Becks Odelay/Sea Change/Guero Reissue up at SRC Vinyl

124»

Comments

• Options
    FR181798 said:

Hmm it seems like Geffen have just heard there is a vinyl revival. They are also reissuing every Weezer LP in October up to red despite the majority being readily available on mofi. Again it would be interesting to see if they use the mofi plates. Im thinking these may not and these could be a low budget effort.
    Seems like a really pointless reissue.

Copyright on a lot of bands catalogues seems really messed up. Too many reissues of the same titles with very poor details of source and mastering etc.

I sort of missed the Beck reissue news, was pretty pumped to be able to pick a few up as I don't have any Beck on vinyl. Like you though, I'm a little wary and may hold off until they're released and people give their opinions on quality.

Saw these tweets from Bob Gendron the other day, he's a music writer for the Chicago Tribune:

"Beck catalog being reissued on vinyl this fall, but Universal taking cheap way out. No remastering, no sources or pressing plants listed."

"Yesterday, UME announced Beck vinyl LP reissues. Today, Weezer and Blink-182. Same deal: No remastering, no source info. Pathetic."

I'll admit I'm not the greatest at telling quality of vinyl re-issues. Hoping they turn out ok.

No time to be void or save up on life, you gotta spend it all.
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    I would like the VMP Odelay but would like to know the source first. Unfortunately the regular Geffen/ Interscope version will not be out until after the deadline. Seems like the BL reissues are the way to go or wait for reviews of the cheaper pressing.
  • Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,895
    10 days left if anybody's still considering the Vinyl Me, Please edition of Odelay. Here's a referral link to get a $10 VMP account credit: http://fbuy.me/d8WjZ

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,612
    kasedoug said:

10 days left if anybody's still considering the Vinyl Me, Please edition of Odelay. Here's a referral link to get a $10 VMP account credit: http://fbuy.me/d8WjZ

That is a really ugly record.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Update 10/6/16: That first round of reissues has been pushed back to December 2nd. According to the label, it’s because of production delays.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options

Update 10/6/16: That first round of reissues has been pushed back to December 2nd. According to the label, it’s because of production delays.

This is happening more and more often this year. At this point I think I'm just going to assume that any reissue will actually be released 2 to 4 months after the original release date. Irritating. I really wish more pressing plants would open up. I think nobody wants to do that because they're worried the vinyl boom is just a fad.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

This is happening more and more often this year. At this point I think I'm just going to assume that any reissue will actually be released 2 to 4 months after the original release date. Irritating. I really wish more pressing plants would open up. I think nobody wants to do that because they're worried the vinyl boom is just a fad.
    Absolutely. The releases that are announced as coming within a month of announcement I take with a grain of salt, thats a pretty quick turnaround, unless the label held off on the announcement. Those are the types that get delayed the most.
  • Options
    My copy of Odelay from Vinyl Me, Please shipped last night. Still about a week left to get in on it. http://fbuy.me/d8WjZ
  • Options
    kasedoug said:

My copy of Odelay from Vinyl Me, Please shipped last night. Still about a week left to get in on it. http://fbuy.me/d8WjZ

Nice. I actually don't know which pressing the delay is for, so don't know how long I will have to wait for Odelay and Sea Change. But the release date for both was Oct 28 or something like that I think.
  • Options
    I believe the delay affects Geffen Odelay, Sea Change and Guero.
  • Options
    Odelay from Vinyl Me, Please arrived today. Looks great. Almost a bit more of a translucent red than brown when you hold it up. Looking forward to spinning it soon. Two days left if anybody's interested in getting in on it: http://fbuy.me/d8WjZ

• Options
    kasedoug said:

Odelay from Vinyl Me, Please arrived today. Looks great. Almost a bit more of a translucent red than brown when you hold it up. Looking forward to spinning it soon. Two days left if anybody's interested in getting in on it: http://fbuy.me/d8WjZ

How does it sound?
  • Options
    I just signed up following a referral from kasedoug. If anyone wants me to refer them just PM me. Thanks.
  • Options
    FR181798 said:

I just signed up following a referral from kasedoug. If anyone wants me to refer them just PM me. Thanks.

What's in this? Is it worth signing up for?
  • Options
    edited October 2016

FR181798 said:

What's in this? Is it worth signing up for?
    This Beck record is my third straight VMP record. I've enjoyed it so far. Each month, you get an exclusive colored record pressed just for VMP. It comes with a package that usually comes with an art print like pictured above. Also comes with a drink recipe that's specially created to pair with the record. Don't drink so haven't made that effort yet.
    Also, once a month, they open up their member store and stock it with new, curated exclusives, some colored, and other selected new LPs.
    It's been a pretty good value so far and I've enjoyed it. Just gone month-to-month right now but they have 3 month and yearlong subscriptions that include "swaps" if you want to join for a longer period where you can trade the Record of the Month for something else in their store if the ROTM isn't something you're into. The last day to grab the Beck - Odelay exclusive is tomorrow and you can get a $10 account credit by using my link above.
  • Options
    I FINALLY got Odelay and Sea Change from SRCvinyl. :) Can't wait to spin them!
  • Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    PJ_Soul said:

Nice one, both are absolute classics, you'll love them. I have originals, so no need for the reissues, but really want Midnight Vultures and especially The Information on vinyl.. Anyone know if these are getting repressed too??

A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

How do they sound?
    I sold my Bong Load reissues for a nice profit so I'm looking to pick up these reissues at a lower price.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

How do they sound?
    I sold my Bong Load reissues for a nice profit so I'm looking to pick up these reissues at a lower price.
    I will let you know as soon as I have time to listen (this weekend). :)
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,150
    Just had to blow more cash.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,984
    reesdog said:

PJ_Soul said:

Nice one, both are absolute classics, you'll love them. I have originals, so no need for the reissues, but really want Midnight Vultures and especially The Information on vinyl.. Anyone know if these are getting repressed too??

I heard that is in the cards, yes.

In fact, I read Bong Load will get first crack at MV and Mutations (because they did the original pressings) and do them on color.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,984
    I've read Sea Change has non-fill issues creating problems with pops and static, but pressings that are well done sound good, just not as good as the Mofi

• Options
    I have the first press of Sea Change but picked up a Pink Mofi. Although everyone says it sounds brilliant I sold the Mofi for a good price as I figured that as two pressings had been done by Mofi then more may follow. I guess there may not be any more Mofi pressings done now there is a new Geffen pressing.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

How do they sound?
    I will let you know as soon as I have time to listen (this weekend). :)
    They sound just fine. Not mind blowing, but nothing wrong with them either. An acceptable pressing.
  • Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981

reesdog said:

PJ_Soul said:

I heard that is in the cards, yes.

In fact, I read Bong Load will get first crack at MV and Mutations (because they did the original pressings) and do them on color.
    Nice one thanks, I just hope The Information is part of the repressings, I know it's not his most popular album, but it's my favourite from Beck..

A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.