Options

Becks Odelay/Sea Change/Guero Reissue up at SRC Vinyl

Comments

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,984
    I don't think anyone knows how the Geffen/Interscope version is gonna sound. This is apparently a different cut.

• Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    edited July 2016
    MRP pressed these new Bong Load records in case anyone was wondering, would love to hear how good they sound. Elliott Smith Figure8 is only on 1lp when all previous presses were 2lp.
    Post edited by FR181798 on
  • Options
    Looks like they are just putting a set amount up for sale on BL each day. Not sure if this is an attempt to
    A. Stop flippers
    B. Drive the sales by making them look sold out
    Or
    C. Maybe it's all the demand they can cope with.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Do you know what time?I'm after the Mellow Gold release and nowhere near an Indie store or Newbury Comics.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    They will place the next sale date on social media, the website and via the mailing list.
  • Options
    I've heard mixed reviews of MRPs quality.
  • Options
    Sams Town is Out of Stock now.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    There is something different about the Bong Load website today in that when you go onto the UK site you get the prices in dollars rather than GBP. So UK customers are getting them for $35 instead of £35. Postage is also more expensive but it works out about £4 or £5 cheaper than the other day.

I ordered Mellow Gold as my original is not 180g so will see what happens. Of course it will probably end up coming from the US and I will get charged import duty.

Anyone remember when indie labels use to give away free stickers with records rather than selling them in packs?
    Post edited by FR181798 on
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,984
    hell, Bong Load used to give stickers in new records. I still have it in my Odelay.
  • Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,655
    Still have my Bongload copy. Is there anything special about the reissue?
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    pjpjpaul said:

Still have my Bongload copy. Is there anything special about the reissue?

Colored pressing Ltd to 2016 copies. Heard a few complaints about surface noise on the new pressing but if I remember correctly the original has crackles intentionally on just about every track on both CD and vinyl. Packaging is meant to be good though.

Geffen / Interscope pressing meant to be coming in September, larger volume and therefore cheaper price tag.
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,434
    Bought both reissues from Bong Load this morning, even though they're quite a bit more than the SRC version... Hope it was worth it.

I guess I'm a sucker for coloured wax.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    I was able to snag a colored copy of Odelay just now. Its the only one that says Temporarily out of stock. Cancelled my order with SCR.
    Also noticed that the Sams Town listing is completely gone from the site
  • Options
    Heard a rumour that Vinyl Me Please are working on something to do with Odelay. Could be Album of the month or some sort of variant. MRP who pressed the Bong Load reissues also do some Vinyl Me Please stuff.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,149
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    That def is a new one and a little scary. Hopefully the quality is good.
  • Options
    Checking out Bong Load today, the UK site now lists them as $42 and 2nd class post $8. =$50
    The other day I paid $35 (Sale Price) plus 2nd class post $14. =$49
    Last week they were £35 ($46)

What is going on? they don't seem to know what they are doing with the shop.
  • Options
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,610
    scurtis said:
    Yeah, it actually makes me not trust them. And I wonder why it says to contact them if the item is damaged during shipping? Do they send replacements in that case, but not if the records are warped? Weird.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

scurtis said:
    Yeah, it actually makes me not trust them. And I wonder why it says to contact them if the item is damaged during shipping? Do they send replacements in that case, but not if the records are warped? Weird.
    I considered cancelling my order after reading it, but am going to take my chances.... *knocks on wood*
  • Options
    Mellow Gold BL reissue arrived in the UK. Packaged well, sleeve art seems spot on although I haven't compared it to my original press yet. No warp and sounds good. Tempted by Odelay but would really like to see what the Geffen/Interscope presses are like.
  • Options
    My Odelay arrives shortly. Interested to see how she sounds.
  • Options
    Everything checked out visually. Will take a listen a little bit later.

• Options
    Interesting to note that my Bongload reissue wasnt stickered Ltd edition 180g on the front like all the copies I've seen. I guess it may have been missed or it wasn't done before a box of these got shipped to the UK.
  • Options
    FR181798 said:

Interesting to note that my Bongload reissue wasnt stickered Ltd edition 180g on the front like all the copies I've seen. I guess it may have been missed or it wasn't done before a box of these got shipped to the UK.

Does it have the stamp on the back? I got 0997/2016
    Mine had no stickers at all on the shrink wrap either.
  • Options
    08** can't quite remember the exact number. Although I ordered it through the BL website it came direct from the Forte Music warehouse in the UK so not sure why it was $14 postage.

I wondered why $35 had SALE PRICE next to it when these first came out but now I know as it has gone up to $42. I wonder if they will also be $42 on the US site.

It seems like they might be trying to avoid these being flipped.
  • Options
    Listened to side one. Reading a lot of complaints on warped records on both Odelay and MG. Idk if thats people over reacting about their return policy or valid complaints but mine came almost dead flat.Very minor uneven surface, not enough for me to complain.
    I am pleased with the sound quality. An occasional crack here and there, and thats without a cleaning yet. Again I read a lot of complaints about surface noise on these, but mine is very very minor. Apparently the originals suffered from the same?
    Overall, very happy with the purchase. Jacket/sleeve quality is also quality.
  • Options
    Glad to hear your Odelay sounds good, I haven't ruled out picking it up.

On Odelay, I'm wondering if people are actually hearing additional surface noise or if it is in fact all the crackles and ticks that are on the original recordings. When you listen to a digital version you can hear crackles on every track because every track is full of samples recorded off old records. The album is so sample heavy using what is now old technology with Beck riffing and singing over the top using not the best of equipment. The crackles and noise are a huge part of that album, to me it's part of it's charm, it sounds so DIY. I think if this was done today and all these samples were completely clean and free of noise it would lose a lot of what is great about this record.

I'm sure people will be complaining about the quality of the photo on the sleeve soon, the photo of the dog was scanned from the cover of a Kennel club book because they couldn't get hold of the original photo. Likewise with the text on the front, you will notice that it doesn't all line up, probably on purpose which just helps the look and feel of the whole thing.

I think once in a while a record comes along where everything just feels right about it. I think on Odelay, despite everything being so eclectic it just works together, it shouldn't but for some reason it does. Probably one of the greatest albums of the last 20 years.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,610
    edited August 2016
    I don't think Dr. Delight's review makes it sound good. A few cracks and minor surface noise on a brand new record is not good or even okay in my book. Would love to hear what difference a cleaning makes Dr. D!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't think Dr. Delight's review makes it sound good. A few cracks and minor surface noise on a brand new record is not good or even okay in my book. Would love to hear what difference a cleaning makes Dr. D!

Sparse ticks every once in awhile and like FR said, it could be the original recordings used. Nothing at all that would deter me from buying it. It sounds very good. Very happy with the purchase despite the price which is still lower than earlier issues of these prints except the forthcoming Geffen Odelay release.
    Was able to pick up a Mellow Gold today too. In fact it is still available in the bongload shop as I type this.
    Post edited by Dr. Delight on