Options

Becks Odelay/Sea Change/Guero Reissue up at SRC Vinyl

Comments

• Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    Interesting that these were priced at $35 on the US site still but are up to $42 now on the UK site. I emailed them about why the postage price has gone down for UK customers since I purchased it from $14 to $8 (2nd class) and it was apparently a mistake to do with the weight so I was refunded the difference.
  • Options
    Comparing the sleeve from the original Mellow Gold and the new press today I would say the new one is really good. All the song listings either use a thinner version of the font or it could be the print is just much sharper. All other graphics, photos and colours are as good as the original.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Nice, mine arrives tomorrow.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    I guess the Geffen/ Interscope pressing must be delayed. Not on Amazon and it was meant to be out 9th September I think. Maybe they pulled it because Bong Load beat them to it.
  • Options
    FR181798 said:

I guess the Geffen/ Interscope pressing must be delayed. Not on Amazon and it was meant to be out 9th September I think. Maybe they pulled it because Bong Load beat them to it.

Interesting.

In other News, Sams Town coming out October 7th,glad I jumped on one despite the cost.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,610
    FR181798 said:

The Sept 9 presale for it is still on Amazon.ca, so I think everything is fine.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

FR181798 said:

I'm still waiting on my copy of Sevens from Amazon so I wouldn't bank on it.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    FR181798 said:

PJ_Soul said:

FR181798 said:

I'm still waiting on my copy of Sevens from Amazon so I wouldn't bank on it.
    This isn't the same situation as that at all though. That was a 10C limited item that was NEVER going to be available through Amazon. This reissue isn't like that. I think we can trust Amazon on this one. The Odelay reissue isn't limited or anything (plus I trust srcvinyl enough as well. If it had been cancelled src would have done something about their preorder. I see that they list it as available Sept 16th though, while Amazon says Sept 9th).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Just seems strange that no where in the UK is advertising this reissue. Even if it was out in October it would be showing up for pre-order at all my usual online shopping spots by now. I've also seen 16th September at some US stores.
  • Options
    FR181798 said:

Just seems strange that no where in the UK is advertising this reissue. Even if it was out in October it would be showing up for pre-order at all my usual online shopping spots by now. I've also seen 16th September at some US stores.

I don't know, but it would be pretty unprecedented for various reputable stores in North America to actually take money for pre-sales for an album that doesn't even exist. If it really doesn't, I would be very curious to know wtf happened! I don't think Sound Stage Direct and SRC would actually launch sales on the basis of rumour alone.
  • Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,895

Odelay is Vinyl, Me Please's Record of the Month for October on special edition bourbon vinyl with black marbling and it looks awesome. If anybody's interested in signing up, here's a referral link for a $10 account credit once you join! http://fbuy.me/d8WjZ
  • Options
    Saw this earlier today, works out a bit cheaper than Bong Load however so far we know the BL reissues have been done quite well by all accounts. We don't know how the Geffen/ Interscope version will be. How does the referral work. Do I get $10 credit after I pay for the first month (I would probably just go the month to month route) or do I get $10 off my first one.

Does anyone know what kind of numbers they press the VMP in. More than 2000? Thanks.
  • Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,895
    edited September 2016
    FR181798 said:

Saw this earlier today, works out a bit cheaper than Bong Load however so far we know the BL reissues have been done quite well by all accounts. We don't know how the Geffen/ Interscope version will be. How does the referral work. Do I get $10 credit after I pay for the first month (I would probably just go the month to month route) or do I get $10 off my first one.

Does anyone know what kind of numbers they press the VMP in. More than 2000? Thanks.

They're made to order, just like TMR Vaults with some excess stock held over for their member store. You get the $10 account credit after signup. They have two separate billing dates per month, so any account credits earned before they bill are applied to your next payment. When I signed up for the My Morning Jacket Z record a couple months ago, I registered via PayPal (PP bank draft maybe) and it didn't charge me right away so when the payment date came, it subtracted any available credits and then hit PayPal. I had also picked up the RATM - Evil Empire exclusive in that initial span, and credits were applied to that.

They may bang a credit card right away so I'd recommend looking into the PayPal option.

I can also send the referral via email address if anybody's interested. Please PM if so. Thanks!
    Post edited by kasedoug on
  • Options
    Thanks, definitely interested in this as I have an original BL and was thinking of getting the Geffen press. I know it's a made to order thing, just wondered if there was a rough estimate of their member numbers.
  • Options
    I don't think they publish that info. I'd say a good guess is around 5000.
  • Options
    So really if I want a reissue copy that will maintain good value then the blue BL is more limited. Unfortunately with the price of vinyl the way it is I have to consider this as a factor when I make a purchase these days.
  • Options
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    Same with Guero - new edition is no longer 45RPM 2xLP though.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    SRCvinyl Odelay pre-sale now saying Oct 26 release date.
  • Options
    FR181798 said:

So really if I want a reissue copy that will maintain good value then the blue BL is more limited. Unfortunately with the price of vinyl the way it is I have to consider this as a factor when I make a purchase these days.

To be honest, don't base vinyl buying decisions based on how it may/may not maintain its value.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

SRCvinyl Odelay pre-sale now saying Oct 26 release date.

They probably decided to just release all 3 at the same time.
    Defiintely ordering Sea Change.
  • Options
    Whole Geffen/Interscope catalog is forthcoming.
  • Options

Whole Geffen/Interscope catalog is forthcoming.

Update 9/21/16: Pitchfork is reporting that this is the start of a bigger reissue campaign, with “Reissues for Mellow Gold, Mutations, Midnight Vultures, The Information, and Modern Guilt forthcoming.” We’ll keep you updated on pre-order links for those in the coming months.
  • Options

FR181798 said:

To be honest, don't base vinyl buying decisions based on how it may/may not maintain its value.

I know what you are saying and its not the only factor, I just think its expensive these days and I make sure I spend my money wisely, I dont impulse buy records anymore when they are $40 etc. I like to make sure I get the best sounding pressing and the most limited.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Looking forward to getting The Information on vinyl, Im guessing next year. Its not a great Beck album but the only one I never purchased when it eventually came out. It will fill the space in the collection unless the quality of these new presses is horrible.
    Post edited by FR181798 on
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Interested to hear how Sea Change sounds. It seems unlikely that they use the Mofi remaster but you never know. I have the original press and sold my pink mofi copy sealed for an insane price. Been kicking myself considering people say it sounds incredible.

The reason I wonder this is that the mofi plates were used for the Vinyl Me Please version of Weezers Pinkerton.
    Post edited by FR181798 on
  • Options
    I think they may use the mofi pressing.

• Options

I think they may use the mofi pressing.

That would be great wouldn't it. Would really make letting go of that Pink Mofi version a wise decision.
  • Options
    Definitely. Especially if this is pressed at Pallas. Outside of the virgin vinyl and the nicer sleeves on MoFi LPs, they could be comparable.
  • Options
    Hmm it seems like Geffen have just heard there is a vinyl revival. They are also reissuing every Weezer LP in October up to red despite the majority being readily available on mofi. Again it would be interesting to see if they use the mofi plates. Im thinking these may not and these could be a low budget effort.
    Seems like a really pointless reissue.

Copyright on a lot of bands catalogues seems really messed up. Too many reissues of the same titles with very poor details of source and mastering etc.