Options

Of Potato heads and Polaroids

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
    got mine yesterday....love it but it does make me wish he had a decent camera.  Polaroids SUCK
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,736
    ‘Of Potato Heads and Polaroids’: Pearl Jam guitarist captures rock life one shot at a time
    http://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/of-potato-heads-and-polaroids-pearl-jam-guitarist-captures-rock-life-one-shot-at-a-time

By
    Seattle Times columnist

Mike McCready takes a shot of the crowd gathered at KEXPs gathering space May 30 for the release of his new book Of Potato Heads and Polaroids Nicole Brodeur  The Seattle Times
    Mike McCready takes a shot of the crowd gathered at KEXP’s gathering space May 30 for the release of his new book, “Of Potato Heads and Polaroids.” (Nicole Brodeur / The Seattle Times)

“Am I really an author if I just put pictures in a book?” Mike McCready asked.

The capacity crowd at the KEXP gathering space seemed to think so. They had all come out Wednesday to see the Pearl Jam guitarist talk about “Of Potato Heads and Polaroids: My Life Inside and Out of Pearl Jam.”

The book is a collection of 500 photographs McCready has taken over the last 25 years while his band traveled the globe and he grew from a scrawny, gifted guitarist to a husband and father of three with his own record label (Hockeytalkter, which published the book) and a fresh induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

McCready was interviewed onstage by KEXP’s Kevin Cole while a selection of the Polaroids from the book were projected on a large screen. The event was live-streamed on both the Pearl Jam and KEXP Facebook pages, and some 200,000 people tuned in to watch and ask questions.

One shot at a time, McCready has captured everything from Pearl Jam’s increasingly bigger crowds to his ever-changing hair color and growing family. There are shots of the music legends Pearl Jam has played with and the hometown and celebrity friends who have visited backstage.

Most are holding a Mr. Potato Head he found in a Minneapolis drug store in 1995.

“The box said, ‘They’re fun!’ so I thought, “I’ll buy one of those.'”

Mike McCreadys new book Of Potato Heads and Polaroids includes 500 photos taken over 25 years on the road and at home
    Mike McCready’s new book, “Of Potato Heads and Polaroids” includes 500 photos taken over 25 years on the road and at home.

So why Polaroids? Cole asked.

“It was this instant, tangible thing,” McCready explained. “Instant gratification.”

But the photos also allowed a certain intimacy. The simple act of shooting a single photo seemed to remove any sense of formality. The subjects are smiling and playful.

And yet, some of the photos are artful, like the silhouette of McCready raising the 12th Man flag atop the Space Needle. The Duomo di Milano and Stonehenge. There’s a double-shot of McCready’s daughter, Kaia, that could be hung in a museum.

In one shot, McCready’s 1956 Stratocaster stands beside Paul McCartney’s Hoffner bass. McCready took it when was asked to help record a song with McCartney (and Lady Gaga).

“It was one of the highlights of my musical life,” McCready said.

Still, he told Cole that he was struck almost speechless until he thought to ask McCartney about his earliest memory of Jimi Hendrix. McCartney told him of stopping into a London pub called The Bag O’Nails for a meal during the “Revolver” era and seeing a three-piece set up on the stage. It turned out to be The Jimi Hendrix Experience. McCartney called some friends — including Pete Townshend of The Who — to come down and see them. Fast.

There are shots of backstage visitors like  Randy “The Big Unit” Johnson, Kate Hudson, Dustin Hoffman and Sting. Neil Young, Venus Williams. Eddie Vedder with Johnny Ramone.

There’s former Pearl Jam drummer Jack Irons with his hands plunged into a bucket of ice. Current drummer Matt Cameron hunched over an open box of Band-Aids. (“Now we’re all trading epsom salts and ointments,” McCready cracked.)

There is a photo of Jack White that McCready took during an interview he did for Sirius XM radio.

“He’s like eight different guys in one guy,” McCready said. “He’s got a label and is in about eight different bands that are all rad. He’s bluesy and nasty and real and effective and I can feel it in my soul.”

There are several photos of Steve Gleason, a friend of McCready’s who was a gifted player for Washington State University and the New Orleans Saints before he was diagnosed with ALS in 2011.

“He was a fan and a hippie dude and a football player and (his diagnosis) didn’t make any sense,” McCready said of Gleason.

There are also people who are gone. Alice in Chains frontman Layne Staley, who died in 2002. And Chris Cornell of Soundgarden, who died May 18.

“It’s tough to look at that right now,” McCready said while a shot of Cornell flashed on the screen.

“I miss him,” McCready said. “It’s everyone’s loss … and I wish we didn’t have to talk about these pictures in that kind of sense … We all know how amazing Soundgarden was, and his solo things and how great his voice was. I mean, he was incredible … I am still at a loss and grieving.”

Said Cole: “We’ve lost the voice of Seattle.”

“Amongst a bunch of others!” McCready said. “And it’s like, ‘Stop! Stop (expletive) dying.’ Sorry, am I swearing a lot on world-wide radio?  Sorry, Prague. Or the South.”

Some of the happiest shots are those McCready has taken from stages around the world: South America, Europe. The Showbox in Seattle. Fans smiling and screaming with their arms held high, or reaching toward him, or holding signs that say, “MIKE IS A HEADBANGER. MIKE IS A PUNK ROCKER.”

“I probably should be playing guitar,” he said of the time he took to take the shots. “I’m generally paying attention to our songs.”

Over 25 years, he took some 20,000 Polaroids. He would toss them in his road case and then, once home, into a box.

Last year, drummer and graphic designer Regan Hagar put the book together, choosing just 500 from the mass of pictures that have captured an extraordinary life.

“This is a dream come true,” McCready told the crowd. “So thank you for being a part of it.”

The entire interview is available on KEXP’s Facebook page, here, beginning at the 28 minute mark.

Nicole Brodeur: 206-464-2334 or nbrodeur@seattletimes.com; on Twitter: @nicolebrodeur. Nicole Brodeur is a Seattle Times columnist.

• Options
    Blacksheep76Blacksheep76 Houston, TX Posts: 167
    Received mine a couple of days ago.  Be careful when opening the package.  My picture fell out of the box when I pulled the book out of it.

• Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,847
    pretty sweet, again kicking myself because I didn't preorder.
    If anyone has a deluxe version they want to trade I have a bunch of 2000 and 2003 bootlegs for you :) And you can keep the signed Polaroid. 
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    blacksheep76, i got the same photo, signed in black along the bottom, signature goes along the bottom in the white and over the picture, then he drew lines around the sign on the right in the background like it's glowing, like a sun. 

anyone know what show it's from or the sign in the background?  all the polaroids he signed were different?  any idea how many signed?

amy
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    Just picked this up today. Great book and really fun to flip through. :)
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,210
    HesCalledDyer said:gI received the very same pic today.

epie said:
    Anybody that can read "McCready" that can decipher this for me?
    Sure thing, it says "Mike McCready" :wink:

• Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    After all the warnings about the signed polaroid, I opened the box, it fell out, I grabbed after it and bent the corner pretty bad. Oh well.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,427
    demetrios said:
    Is that your video?  It's very good.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    a5pj said:
    If anyone has a deluxe version they want to trade I have a bunch of 2000 and 2003 bootlegs for you :) And you can keep the signed Polaroid. 
    What s the difference between the two?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,847
    mcgruff10 said:
    a5pj said:
    Just that sweet slipcase I think lol. I'd be fine with the regular version too if someone has an extra.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,796
    a5pj said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    a5pj said:
    Just that sweet slipcase I think lol. I'd be fine with the regular version too if someone has an extra.
    And the signed Polaroid 
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,172
    a5pj said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    a5pj said:
    Regular version is still in the 10c shop.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    a5pj said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    a5pj said:
    it's on amazon for $25.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    DeadmanDeadman Posts: 784
    Anybody else's autograph come pretty smeared?  Just curious.  Looks kinda cool but it's pretty smeared.
  • Options
    scurtis said:
    demetrios said:
    Nope, not mine. Haven't received my copy yet from 10club. 
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,463
    demetrios said:
    scurtis said:
    demetrios said:
    Still waiting myself here in Ont.
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    billyruffbillyruff Posts: 534
    BLACK35 said:
    demetrios said:
    scurtis said:
    demetrios said:
    Still waiting myself here in Ont.
    yea and we will be waiting for a while still...usually about a month from shipping date  for me..
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere - 30 minute video of Mike being interviewed about the book.

Front page of Salon

http://www.salon.com/

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,492
    Really enjoyed flipping through this. Great book Mike!
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,692
    Think my copy  arrived in Ireland on friday
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    insert thisinsert this Posts: 290
    Anyone buy both regular and deluxe?
    Just wondering if they were sent separately? 
  • Options
    rw160510rw160510 Posts: 909
    Still waiting for the deluxe in the UK. Really looking forward to flicking through it.
  • Options
    Of Potato Heads and Polaroids - Autographed Copies!

Mike just stopped by and signed a few copies of his new book. We will randomly ship these copies to those who purchase the book over the next couple weeks.

Randomly? D'oh! 
  • Options
    A cool book. Here's mine:

"My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,427
    A cool book. Here's mine:

Love the little note you got on yours Del.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    demetrios said:
    Of Potato Heads and Polaroids - Autographed Copies!

Mike just stopped by and signed a few copies of his new book. We will randomly ship these copies to those who purchase the book over the next couple weeks.

Randomly? D'oh! 
    Yeah.  So forget about the people that preordered the book.  So now the rest of thiose that order now, after the drop get a chance at signed book.  That kinda sucks!!  
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville