Options

**THE OFFICIAL ST. LOUIS CARDINALS BASEBALL THREAD**

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    Team has a great look this year! Looking forward to reclaiming the Central!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I don't know, man. Losing Reyes for the year really hurts. I don't think we have the lineup, rotation or defense to compete. The central belongs to the Cubs for at least the next five years.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    I don't think Reyes was gonna pitch as much as most fans seem to think. Will be hard to hang with the Cubs, but they can easily snag a WC slot and make it interesting going down the stretch. I don't think the Cubbies run away with it like last year. The Birds always seem to overperform when the expectations are lower.

I don't think it's as doom and gloom as I was feeling upon hearing the Reyes news. Lots of players coming back from injuries and CMart could very well take that next step up to a truly elite pitcher. Piscotty could very well have an all star caliber season and I think the pressure of setting the table being lifted from Carp could help him settle into a run producing role better than he has in the past. Excited to see what Diaz can do with a full season after a spring as a sure starter. Be an added bonus if Adams or Wong could produce in the bottom third of the lineup.

Cubs have a nice future no doubt, but our young guys get overlooked quite a bit. I think Dewitt and Mo are biding their time til a better free agent class when the big bucks start rolling in from the tv deal.
  • Options
    Sounds like a big get with Jose Garcia.

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,507
    fuck the cubs!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    I'll say this as a lifelong Cardinals fan, the way some fans have treated Dexter Fowler online these last couple of weeks has been humiliating as hell.
  • Options
    Yeah, it's just dumb, but what do you expect in Trump country. Impressed as hell with how he's handled it.
  • Options

I'll say this as a lifelong Cardinals fan, the way some fans have treated Dexter Fowler online these last couple of weeks has been humiliating as hell.

Bunch of trolls. Not worth anyone's time.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Boys looking sharp these past few games!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Nice spring training! Lets beat the Cubbies!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Awesome game! Been waiting forever for this to be an even matched rivalry!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    That was an awesome game. Incredible atmosphere. I gotta make it over for a Cubs/Cards game this year. I'd love to see a closer race this year and I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility. The Cards young talent is understandably overlooked in the shadow of Bryzzo and the crew and the Cubs pitched a little over their heads last season.

We need somebody to step up into that All star level. Grichuk or Piscotty are primed for it. I think Diaz may already be there. Kid just takes great at bats.

I like the Yadi deal too. Dont think his impact can be overstated and his familiarity with the next generation of pitchers is gonna mean a lot as they deal with Cubs mashers for the next decade.

Martinez is the real deal and it looks like Wacha figured out his mechanical issues. Bullpen could be a strength, results wise, but I don't anticipate have fingernails at the end of the season,

Now a few negatives...Peralta needs to come off the bench. Wong needs to be named the everyday 2b to clear his headspace. Should keep his mouth shut, but he just looks scared to make a mistake out there. Matheny has handled him horribly. I think he'll hit better when that pressure is off and they need as many good gloves as they can squeeze in.

I want Rosenthal back asap. Being able to rear back and sling a 100mph fastball is the most lethal weapon when guys don't see enough pitches to time it. Oh is perfect for that middle relief role.

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    Heard Piscotty could be in the lineup today. That's good news. Man, that was an unfortunate trip around the bases! Glad he's not seriously hurt.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

That was an awesome game. Incredible atmosphere. I gotta make it over for a Cubs/Cards game this year. I'd love to see a closer race this year and I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility. The Cards young talent is understandably overlooked in the shadow of Bryzzo and the crew and the Cubs pitched a little over their heads last season.

We need somebody to step up into that All star level. Grichuk or Piscotty are primed for it. I think Diaz may already be there. Kid just takes great at bats.

I like the Yadi deal too. Dont think his impact can be overstated and his familiarity with the next generation of pitchers is gonna mean a lot as they deal with Cubs mashers for the next decade.

Martinez is the real deal and it looks like Wacha figured out his mechanical issues. Bullpen could be a strength, results wise, but I don't anticipate have fingernails at the end of the season,

Now a few negatives...Peralta needs to come off the bench. Wong needs to be named the everyday 2b to clear his headspace. Should keep his mouth shut, but he just looks scared to make a mistake out there. Matheny has handled him horribly. I think he'll hit better when that pressure is off and they need as many good gloves as they can squeeze in.

I want Rosenthal back asap. Being able to rear back and sling a 100mph fastball is the most lethal weapon when guys don't see enough pitches to time it. Oh is perfect for that middle relief role.

Let me know when you do! Buy ya' a beer!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Crazy play and a bad break there with Yadi? Without that play I think we take 2 outta 3.

Need to get Rosenthal back to sure up the pen. Let the other guys get back to their natural spot.

Lynn looked good. Hope he's in full workload mode this year. Pitches as many quality innings as anybody in the game.
  • Options
    No doubt. Weird ending. Cards look good!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
    Good to hear you Cards fans valuing Fowler. I hadn't heard that he's been taking heat locally. But you guys got a ball player in Fowler. I wish nothing but the best for that guy, as he's everything you want in a lead off hitter/CF. I'll always root for that guy to do well - no matter the jersey he's wearing.

From a Cubs fan, this was a heck of a series to start the year, and I feel lived up to the hype that should be the Cubs/Cards opening year series. A game we thought we had - you won, and a game you thought you had - we won. pretty good parity there. I personally think that we just have too much fire power for the Cards to match, but if you were to make the post-season, anything can happen in a short series.

Take a step back from your Card-colored glasses for a second......You gotta love Schwarber. That dude mashes - and almost mashes like no one we've ever seen before.

Good series. Looking forward to the rest of the season. PS - that was way too much pine tar - make any excuse you want......but Yadi really helped fuel the cheating narrative today.
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • Options
    Great series, glad we came out on the plus side but all 3 games could have gone either way!

Like Gtilley8 said, I too will always root for Fowler to do well. Dude's a hell of an asset to a clubhouse. I like Gyorko, too. He's a local boy, WVU kid. I'd start him every day, Wong and his career .240 can go fuck himself. We had a guy like that last year in Tommy La Stella. Mediocre utility guy thinks he's owed a starting job and wants to whine about it. Managers need to stob enabling these crybabies.
  • Options
    I think they should put Peralta on the bench and Gyorko at 3b. Give Wong the job at 2nd. Remove the pressure on him and help the d up the middle. Wong needs to keep his pie hole shut, but Matheny has handled him horribly and he's not the most mentally strong player anyway, since he got picked off to end they WS game and bawled about it. Not the first guy to complain about pt and won't be the last.

Not sure what was up with the sticky ball. It didn't look like excess goo anywhere. I don't know what the rules are with what catchers can use. If it was some kinda ultra stickum the Cubs seemed ok with it, which tells me that they probably use something similar or it's at least pretty widespread. I kinda wondered if it was wedged in there or snagged on something. Hard to imagine there's any substance that can stop a baseball like that. I'd lean towards too much of something, but I don't know if there's such a thing as too much.

• Options
    In one of the replays, it looked like there was an indentation - at least some discolored spot - where the ball was stuck. I'm wondering if maybe it pierced the outer later of the chest protector and the threads on the ball got stuck on the inner material. I don't know, just shooting a theory out of my ass as I don't know what those things are made of. I don't think it's worthy of any investigation nor was it any tactic to cheat. I'd just chalk it up to one of those weird oddities that we might never see again.
  • Options
    Count on Cards and Cubs fans to continue to talk about it all season. Haha! Love me some good baseball people.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Well well...
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Yes, yes. Go on.

• Options
    The Birds are playing good ball! Hot streak! Let's put some early distance between the top and the rest fellas'! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    1st place, series win over Cubs. Hot streak! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Let's grab the lead here. I wanna see Scooter go for 5. But he damn sure ain't no Mark Whiten.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,507
    DewieCox said:
    Let's grab the lead here. I wanna see Scooter go for 5. But he damn sure ain't no Mark Whiten.

it would have been a travishamockery had he hit 5. 

I think his 10 rbi would make him the Giants SEASON leader.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Love the dig Gordo had at the Cubs in yesterday's PD. Easy to tank on purpose and retool then to stay competitive with the crew you have for many, many years. I don't mind that we didn't pick anyone up at the trade deadline. Will be interesting to see how this flawed team moves forward the rest of this season and into the future.
    *Edit to include article to hear Gordo's thoughts.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/jeff-gordon/quick-hits-jeff-gordon-on-the-cardinals/collection_803e2975-8f8b-5aeb-835c-ac93c4f9967b.html

Post edited by 2-feign-reluctance on
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Let's get fired up. Cubs and Brewers are falling apart!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Let's get fired up. Cubs and Brewers are falling apart!
    I'd say my Cubbies never had it together to begin with.  How did our division go from having the 3 best records in baseball 2 seasons ago to the mediocrity we are now??