Options

**THE OFFICIAL ST. LOUIS CARDINALS BASEBALL THREAD**

Comments

• Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818

Did you watch it? They did it all with 2 outs, nonetheless. That was crazy!
    2 out and a runner on, the following sequence happened.

A 4-pitch walk
    A HBP on the first pitch to the next batter
    A single to right on the first pitch to the next batter
    A single to left on the first pitch to the next batter (in a mere 7 pitches, it's a 4-3 game!)
    A 4-pitch walk
    Pitching change
    Walk the tying run in
    A HBP to score the winning run

My only question is why was Busch Stadium so empty? A perennial playoff contender and the stands were bare!

Don't have an answer for you there. A Monday night on a super humid and hot evening? It's been gnarly weather-wise this week. Anyway, Cards are slipping big time. They just can't seem to stack up wins this year. I thought maybe there was a glimmer last week - we could have cut the Cubs down to 5.5 game lead, but instead we lost a bunch of inexplicable games against the Braves of all teams. Oh well - still watching, still loving and you never know what will happen. Still plenty of ball to be played last time I checked.
    At this point im just going to enjoy Weaver on Saturday and watching Reyes last night was nice...this team can't win consistently at home and its killed them

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    Yeah, Reyes man, wow. Kid has some talent for sure. Season ain't over until it's over, so you just never know. That's part of why I love baseball so much. So many variables at work each game, all season long. Things can turn around or down for any team. Cubs haven't won anything yet, nobody has. Pundits are already lining up their cute little playoff scenarios. Fuck em' - two months of baseball left.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123

Yeah, Reyes man, wow. Kid has some talent for sure. Season ain't over until it's over, so you just never know. That's part of why I love baseball so much. So many variables at work each game, all season long. Things can turn around or down for any team. Cubs haven't won anything yet, nobody has. Pundits are already lining up their cute little playoff scenarios. Fuck em' - two months of baseball left.

They've won alot more than the Cardinals have.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options

I'll PM you a congratulations if they make it all the way this year. Until then, nothing had been decided, locked in or set. Looking forward to the 4 game set coming up!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Cards win tonight! Peralta had a heck of a game!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

I'll PM you a congratulations if they make it all the way this year. Until then, nothing had been decided, locked in or set. Looking forward to the 4 game set coming up!
    No need. I'm just looking at the records for both teams this year. Based on that, the cubs have won a lot more.
  • Options

No need. I'm just looking at the records for both teams this year. Based on that, the cubs have won a lot more.
    Ok, so......congratulations on being in 1st place currently? Hahaa! You're killing me man. You and I need to meet up some day and have a beer!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Ok, so......congratulations on being in 1st place currently? Hahaa! You're killing me man. You and I need to meet up some day and have a beer!
    Next time you're in Charleston, hit me up. I'll tell you all about how I used the Cardinals '87 team when I played RBI baseball for nintendo!
  • Options

Next time you're in Charleston, hit me up. I'll tell you all about how I used the Cardinals '87 team when I played RBI baseball for nintendo!
    Hahaha!! Great game, wasted a few summer's of my youth playing that one.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
    Bush league move by Car Mar there. Couldn't happen to a better guy!!! Season is over boys.
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,514
    you guys got hosed.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Hopefully we haven't lost Holliday for the year. Let's hope Waino brings his 'A' game this afternoon!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Hopefully we haven't lost Holliday for the year. Let's hope Waino brings his 'A' game this afternoon!

Or his shortest outing 'game'. Jeeeeez.....Go Cubs Go...
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Sorry Garfunkel...
    But your team took a beating today!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options

Sorry Garfunkel...

That's comedy right there folks
  • Options

Sorry Garfunkel...

Bad one too. What an embarassing loss. Just shows who's the better team this year. Cubbies looking fuckin' solid guys. Hope we can get that second wild card spot. Looking doubtful though. Too many holes, too many problems.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Sorry Garfunkel...

Bad one too. What an embarassing loss. Just shows who's the better team this year. Cubbies looking fuckin' solid guys. Hope we can get that second wild card spot. Looking doubtful though. Too many holes, too many problems.
    But remember..
    It's the CUBS!!!!

We will find a way to screw it up!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420

Sorry Garfunkel...

But remember..
    It's the CUBS!!!!

C'mon, Speedy! History NEVER repeats!
  • Options
    I've watched alot of Cubs games [thank you WGN & Grandpa], this team looks better than any I've seen probably ever. I hope you guys do it. Love seeing the NLC represent!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Offense comes alive! Cards win!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Sorry Garfunkel...

But remember..
    It's the CUBS!!!!

It's fitting you say that. I used to umpire youth baseball in the Detroit area. One day, in 2003, I look down at the catchers name, and it's Leyland. I turn around, and Jim fucking Leyland is standing 20 feet behind the backstop. We ended up having a lightening storm in the 4th inning, and me and my buddy end up standing next to him in the shelter. We talk baseball for with him for a half hour, he's wearing his marlins 1997 WS championship ring, let's us wear it a sec, then I ask him, "so, skip, how bout them cubbies this year?" He responds "yeah, they have the best staff - should probably win it all - but it's the Cubs. They'll find a way to fuck it up." We all know how that ended.
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    Leyland is a fuckin' legend.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Leyland is a fuckin' legend.

Yeah, it was cool getting to meet, and talk baseball with him. And I believe he was the tiger's manager the next season.
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    Gtilley8 said:

Sorry Garfunkel...

But remember..
    It's the CUBS!!!!

It's fitting you say that. I used to umpire youth baseball in the Detroit area. One day, in 2003, I look down at the catchers name, and it's Leyland. I turn around, and Jim fucking Leyland is standing 20 feet behind the backstop. We ended up having a lightening storm in the 4th inning, and me and my buddy end up standing next to him in the shelter. We talk baseball for with him for a half hour, he's wearing his marlins 1997 WS championship ring, let's us wear it a sec, then I ask him, "so, skip, how bout them cubbies this year?" He responds "yeah, they have the best staff - should probably win it all - but it's the Cubs. They'll find a way to fuck it up." We all know how that ended.
    Unreal. I really like that guy.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,514

I have no idea what happened, but his slide on scutaro in '12 was very bad cosmic juju :nuh_uh:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Wobbie said:

I have no idea what happened, but his slide on scutaro in '12 was very bad cosmic juju :nuh_uh:
    Unintentionally hit by a pitch. I do think know why, but I always like Holliday he always seemed to play the game the right way.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413

Sorry Garfunkel...

You think it's time for Matheny to go? Great motivator, but I read an article the other day that talked about his strategic inadequacies, both long and short term.

I'm wondering if his pep talks are starting to ring hollow to this group of players.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

Sorry Garfunkel...

You think it's time for Matheny to go? Great motivator, but I read an article the other day that talked about his strategic inadequacies, both long and short term.

I'm wondering if his pep talks are starting to ring hollow to this group of players.
    I see what you're saying, and he's definitely made some bone-headed moves for sure. His inexperience reared it's ugly head that first year as head coach making it to the World Series. He's pretty young for a head coach still - but I believe he's the Cardinals long term guy. Besides, they are poised to make a possible 6th consecutive return to the playoffs this year and I don't think talent alone has taken them there the past 3 seasons.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

Sorry Garfunkel...

Local/regional news casts Matheny as a 'players guy'. Very popular in the clubhouse. Is there room for managerial growth? Yep, every single day. Honestly, when he took over, I expected the Cardinals to fade pretty quickly, but they've surprised me for sure. I don't think they've faded as much as the Pirates and Cubs have become stellar ballclubs and have made the Central competitive once again.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Offense baby! Yeah! Cards are heating up again!
    www.cluthelee.com