Options

GARY JOHNSON FOR PRESIDENT

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,630

That's a very good question. I would imagine the foreign policy would be to pull out, cut funding, don't get involved, and observe.

I figure one might need to know a little about foreign policy and who leads which country to accomplish that. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

That's a very good question. I would imagine the foreign policy would be to pull out, cut funding, don't get involved, and observe.

And what's wrong with that, intervention in the Middle East has only made things a ton worse, no one has any solutions for the Middle East...so why not pull out and let them either get their act together or totally implode...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

And what's wrong with that, intervention in the Middle East has only made things a ton worse, no one has any solutions for the Middle East...so why not pull out and let them either get their act together or totally implode...
    I support that idea completely... although we can assume it's a lot easier said than done, and don't forget about the oil factor. There seems to be a "from our cold, dead hands" kind of mentality happening when it comes to US involvement in the middle east. I don't think the US will start backing off until they literally run out of oil... and by then the middle east will be uninhabitable anyhow, since it will be so hot no one can live there anymore.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,674
    lukin2006 said:

There's a lot wrong with it, but it depends on your moral perspective. I would support a change in Middle East policy. Johnson seems to support the stance that basically says: sorry we played a huge role in effing things up, you're on your own now, good luck!
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

lukin2006 said:

There's a lot wrong with it, but it depends on your moral perspective. I would support a change in Middle East policy. Johnson seems to support the stance that basically says: sorry we played a huge role in effing things up, you're on your own now, good luck!
    His position will get many fewer U.S. soldiers killed. Sorry Middle East, we really fucked up. Sorry for creating power vacuums, sorry for our unwavering support of Israel, sorry for not allowing you all to have self-determination. Nothing we can do now will right those wrongs, so in the interest of fewer US casualties, we'll go ahead and let you guys solve your issues. Have at it. Once you're done, and balance has been established, let us know who we can talk to about new, mutually beneficial trade deals. We'll be your trading partner, but we won't be your enemy, your friend, your sugar daddy, or your hired gun.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123

It's fine to support Johnson, but let's not spin his deficits into a strength. I would expect a Libertarian to not know boo-squat about international relations. Not getting involved is part of the platform. Do you ask a vegan about the best cut of meat? This small government thing sure is fun and can channel peoples frustration, but don't act surprised when those candidates show their skill set.

Being honest and transparent is a weakness in politics. It's why Bernie never stood a chance (although he was a lot more sharp the ol' Gary)
  • Options
    At least he is being honest about what he doesn't have knowledge of, but it's common that people want a president who can deal effectively with other leaders. No one would care if he's honest about his lack of in depth knowledge about thermodynamics.
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

lukin2006 said:

His position will get many fewer U.S. soldiers killed. Sorry Middle East, we really fucked up. Sorry for creating power vacuums, sorry for our unwavering support of Israel, sorry for not allowing you all to have self-determination. Nothing we can do now will right those wrongs, so in the interest of fewer US casualties, we'll go ahead and let you guys solve your issues. Have at it. Once you're done, and balance has been established, let us know who we can talk to about new, mutually beneficial trade deals. We'll be your trading partner, but we won't be your enemy, your friend, your sugar daddy, or your hired gun.
    There's been few attempts to do something different there. If Americans are frustrated and cynical about a complicated issue, I don't think our leaders should necessarily reflect that. I want our leaders to be better than me, not be a reflection of me.
  • Options
    So Governor Weld told Chris Matthews on the record last night that John Kerry deserves a Nobel Peace Prize for his work on the Iran arms deal.
  • Options

So Governor Weld told Chris Matthews on the record last night that John Kerry deserves a Nobel Peace Prize for his work on the Iran arms deal.

Never heard of Governor Weld. Is he relevant?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

He is Johnson's running mate.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Governor Weld was a pretty interesting and maverick Republican Governor of MA. Is he relevant? I'm not sure how to answer that, since that is pretty subjective. He's relevant to me. He isn't relevant to current Republican politics because he was never an evangelical fundie, or a Tea Party member, so didn't necessarily fit the Republican establishment. But he was socially liberal and a centrist, who was able to get elected in a fairly liberal state where he served for almost 8 years. He was also tagged by Bill Clinton to be Ambassador to Mexico but conservative Republicans (like Jesse Helms, may he rot in hell), blocked his nomination, so he was able to work well across party lines. He's very smart and would likely do a much better job than Johnson in debates and press conferences.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

He is Johnson's running mate.
    Lol. So not really. ;)
  • Options
    Odd thing about the Libertarian party is the VP is elected by delegates, not chosen by Johnson
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    should switch the ticket........Johnson is not ready for primetime or anytime.... I think he would do better if he still smoked weed every day

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lolobugg said:

should switch the ticket........Johnson is not ready for primetime or anytime.... I think he would do better if he still smoked weed every day

You should have seen some of the other choices ... one dude walked around dressed like a 1880's general.
  • Options
    I think one more Aleppo moment and Weld is off the ticket.
    He is probably gonna vote Clinton anyway, but if he leave Johnson high and dry (well definitely high) he'll endorse her too.
  • Options

I think one more Aleppo moment and Weld is off the ticket.
    He is probably gonna vote Clinton anyway, but if he leave Johnson high and dry (well definitely high) he'll endorse her too.

Totally agree. Weld is still very friendly with the Clintons, so that wouldn't be surprising at all. Not sure what happened to Johnson over the past couple of years, but he seems to be getting dumber and less adept at speaking with the press. Weld doesn't need anymore embarrassing moments, and I'm sure doesn't want to just be the handler that bails Johnson out every time there's a gaffe. I wish Weld was the headliner on the ticket. He's not really Libertarian, but also not Republican or Democrat. Sounds like me. Sounds like millions of voters.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989

I'd still take him over Trumpary but I've thought less of him with Aleppo and TPP of late. Stein all the way.

Oh yeah... Johnson over Trump all day
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Gary Johnson Is No Bernie, Bro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA5T7aBUi1A
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,516
    dumbass. sorry.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    All federal funding to foreign nations should be cut.
  • Options
    If Gary Johnson wins New Mexico and Trump and Clinton split swing states, there could be a tie and POTUS will be chosen by the house of representatives.

businessinsider.com/nate-silver-election-deadlock-poll-new-mexico-odds-2016-10
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    tonifig8 said:

Pretty hilarious:

GARY JOHNSON: If I had to choose between Clinton and Trump with a gun to my head, I'd 'let it go off'

You're not alone on this one, Johnson.

Really nithkng funny about that. It's a down right lie. And a poor analogy of saying they both suck. He could have made that point without saying he'd shoot himself in the head.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options

tonifig8 said:

Pretty hilarious:

GARY JOHNSON: If I had to choose between Clinton and Trump with a gun to my head, I'd 'let it go off'

You're not alone on this one, Johnson.

Really nithkng funny about that. It's a down right lie. And a poor analogy of saying they both suck. He could have made that point without saying he'd shoot himself in the head.
    just a typical sorry bastard making light of suicide.
    sorry friends, but if you supported this guy........it's time to get off the bandwagon.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Christ, Johnson is self-destructing with dumb comments. I was going to vote for him, but at this point I guess I'm sitting this one out. Plenty of local issues and candidates to vote for, so I'll still participate in the election in general, but there isn't a presidential candidate running who I could vote for or who has earned my vote. I'll try again in 2020.
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

Christ, Johnson is self-destructing with dumb comments. I was going to vote for him, but at this point I guess I'm sitting this one out. Plenty of local issues and candidates to vote for, so I'll still participate in the election in general, but there isn't a presidential candidate running who I could vote for or who has earned my vote. I'll try again in 2020.

Maybe he's just throwing all caution to the wind? He knows he's not winning anything, and he knows he's fucking up in any case.... perhaps he is just saying "fuck it!!" and having fun letting whatever crosses his mind fall out of his mouth? Perhaps he's gearing up to retire, lol.
  • Options
    gary Johnson reminds me of someone who was a lifetime weed smoker that quit smoking and now is constantly nervous and uptight.
    dude acts so fucking weird. go back to the weed, man.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    lolobugg said:

gary Johnson reminds me of someone who was a lifetime weed smoker that quit smoking and now is constantly nervous and uptight.
    dude acts so fucking weird. go back to the weed, man.

Hmmm...

I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon