Ten Club Kind of Screwed Me

reyrey Posts: 280
Sorry for the negativity but I just wanted to vent some frustration and also issue a warning to anyone looking to buy posters from 2016 (even though there are only two shows left).

I was lucky enough to score the MSG 5/1 poster when it dropped. I was logged into the 10c website with my wife’s membership and when I added the poster to my cart there was already another item in the cart that she had been looking at previously. It was a badge pack for $2.50……I don’t even know what that is, but in an effort to save time and complete my purchase (I knew I only had a few minutes!) I left it in the cart and completed the purchase. My credit card number went through, the purchase was completed and I received an Order Number. However, I never received a confirmation e-mail, which concerned me. I checked the shop on the website and did not see the badge pack available anywhere so I hoped that trying to purchase it didn’t affect the purchase of the poster. The purchase also never showed up in my Order History on the website, but I checked the credit card account and saw that there was a pending charge so I thought maybe everything was good and just a little delayed. After several more days of nothing, I sent an e-mail to the 10Club asking about the status of the order and received the below response.

The badge pack that was in the order caused the order to go into exception. By the time we pulled the badge pack out of the order, the poster had sold out. The $46.49 was only authorized, not charged. If it hasn't already, the amount should be made available to your account again soon.

Is it just me, or does it seem a little strange that if you purchase two items on the website and the 10Club subsequently finds out that one of the two is not available, the other item then becomes available for others to purchase???? I also don’t really understand how the purchase went through in the first place if one of the items in the cart wasn’t currently available.

I have never had any issues with the 10Club in the past, but I am really frustrated by this. It just doesn’t seem fair. Word to the wise……if you’re buying a poster (or anything else that might sell out), be sure that you do not also try to buy another item with it that may cause your order to “go into exception”. Whatever that means. Carry on.

Comments

• AlexanaAlexana Posts: 66
    It sucks that you missed out on the poster but with the nature of online ordering and inventory systems it is easy to understand how it happens.
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder Posts: 9,118
    I have an extra as a fundraiser item for my South Jersey based nonprofit. PM me and let's see if I can help you while still helping my nonprofit and make your unfortunate circumstance a win-win of some sort...
    EV
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,330

I have an extra as a fundraiser item for my South Jersey based nonprofit. PM me and let's see if I can help you while still helping my nonprofit and make your unfortunate circumstance a win-win of some sort...
    EV

Wow. Good stuff right here.
  • JedJed Posts: 1,176
    edited June 2016
    I have to agree with Alexana on this one. Ten Club is not big enough to monitor and catch every inventory glitch or correct it immediately. These poster sales are pretty insane and the amount of organization and effort to get this volume of merch sold and shipped is pretty impressive. Maybe they should ramp up personnel for these sales, but they probably already do. Even if they had, a unique issue like this could fall through the cracks.

I am surprised they don't keep back inventory to replace posters damaged in shipping, but then again, maybe they decided this scenario doesn't qualify.
    Post edited by Jed on
  • reyrey Posts: 280
    nicknyr15 said:

EV

Wow. Good stuff right here.
    Agreed. Good stuff for sure.

PM sent to EV.

• SEACIDESEACIDE Posts: 410
    edited June 2016

EV

THAT ^^^^ is what its all about! :)
    Love is all you need.....
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 4,023

EV

Wow, Way to look out.
  • reyrey Posts: 280
    Jed said:

I have to agree with Alexana on this one. Ten Club is not big enough to monitor and catch every inventory glitch or correct it immediately.

I don't necessarily disagree with this. I understand that the Ten Club is not like amazon.com. Doesn't make it any less frustrating for me though.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,897
    edited June 2016
    I'd say that "getting screwed" would involve a much higher level of indifference or incompetence than what happened here. 10C is really more of a mom and pop operation, and I wouldn't expect their system to catch something like this within the few minutes it took for those posters to sell out.

Also, very nice elwayvedder. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • adamg5adamg5 Posts: 802
    That's awesome that we help each other out! Nice elwayvedder.

What's not awesome is that every time a poster sells out quick there are a bunch of new listings on eBay not cool. Flippers are making only a few bucks after eBay and PayPal fees, screwing the tenclub members that want to hang in there homes.
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    It does suck that they weren't able to honor your purchase or do something for you at least. At the same time though, it seems like it could've been avoided if you'd used your account instead of your wife's, or dealt with the item in her cart in between F5s.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • JM55546JM55546 Posts: 133
    PJ_Soul said:

I'd say that "getting screwed" would involve a much higher level of indifference or incompetence than what happened here. 10C is really more of a mom and pop operation, and I wouldn't expect their system to catch something like this within the few minutes it took for those posters to sell out.

It's not a Mom and Pop operation though but they act like it and have been getting better about running a business in the last few years. Eddie alone is worth about $90 million based upon public info. If it went into exception, the poster still should have been taken off the inventory count. 10c screwed up and I'm sure there's 1-5 posters sitting somewhere in the warehouse. If they don't have any extra posters and have mystery sales etc. then they screwed up.
  • :rock_on:

very nicely done Mr. Silver, bravo
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
    edited June 2016
    JM55546 said:

PJ_Soul said:

It's not a Mom and Pop operation though but they act like it and have been getting better about running a business in the last few years. Eddie alone is worth about $90 million based upon public info. If it went into exception, the poster still should have been taken off the inventory count. 10c screwed up and I'm sure there's 1-5 posters sitting somewhere in the warehouse. If they don't have any extra posters and have mystery sales etc. then they screwed up.
    Well okay, I meant mom and pop more figuratively. What I really meant is that it takes a pretty advanced e-commerce system to identify something like that and automatically respond to it during an online purchase, and 10C just isn't at that level.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Check your cart before you shop!!! And take the few extra seconds and hit "REMOVE" if there is another item!!!
    October 1, 1996 ... Marine Midland Arena, Buffalo-NY (USA)
    October 12, 2013 ... First Niagara Center, Buffalo-NY (USA)
    May 2, 2016 ... Madison Square Garden, New York-NY (USA)
    May 8, 2016 ... Canadian Tire Centre, Ottawa-Ontario (Canada)
    May 10, 2016 ... Air Canada Centre, Toronto-Ontario (Canada)
    May 12, 2016 ... Air Canada Centre, Toronto-Ontario (Canada)
    August 5, 2016 ... Fenway Park, Boston-Mass. (USA)
    August 7, 2016 ... Fenway Park, Boston-Mass. (USA)
    November 7, 2016 ... TOTD, Madison Square Garden, New York-NY (USA)
    September 2, 2018 ... Fenway Park, Boston-Mass. (USA)
  • hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    ldent42 said:

It does suck that they weren't able to honor your purchase or do something for you at least. At the same time though, it seems like it could've been avoided if you'd used your account instead of your wife's, or dealt with the item in her cart in between F5s.

I too wondered why he didn't use his account thus there would be no surprises in the cart. But in the end thanks to the generosity of others he will get his poster.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • JM55546 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Not necessarily, (maybe?). Because all of the other orders that didn't go into "exception" were processed first, essentially emptying the inventory. Had there been posters left and the order went through after the outdated other item was pulled, then the inventory would have reflected it. I could be wrong, but it would only come off in the inventory if the sale is officially processed; going into "exception" basically meant it was in the cart and the sale was still processing.

Anyway, I hope you're able to score despite the unusual circumstance!!!
    October 1, 1996 ... Marine Midland Arena, Buffalo-NY (USA)
    October 12, 2013 ... First Niagara Center, Buffalo-NY (USA)
    May 2, 2016 ... Madison Square Garden, New York-NY (USA)
    May 8, 2016 ... Canadian Tire Centre, Ottawa-Ontario (Canada)
    May 10, 2016 ... Air Canada Centre, Toronto-Ontario (Canada)
    May 12, 2016 ... Air Canada Centre, Toronto-Ontario (Canada)
    August 5, 2016 ... Fenway Park, Boston-Mass. (USA)
    August 7, 2016 ... Fenway Park, Boston-Mass. (USA)
    November 7, 2016 ... TOTD, Madison Square Garden, New York-NY (USA)
    September 2, 2018 ... Fenway Park, Boston-Mass. (USA)
  • CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 3,016
    Trying to purchase anything else with a limited item is a very rookie move. I say this is user error rather than a significant flaw with 10c's inventory system.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    CopperTom said:

Trying to purchase anything else with a limited item is a very rookie move. I say this is user error rather than a significant flaw with 10c's inventory system.

Completely disagree. Any good system should be able to handle exceptions. If the system knows that there is an exception and just dumps it into a queue for manual processing, it just means that it isn't robust enough. If they recognize there is an exception, then it isn't a stretch to think that they could wrap some code around that exception. Process the order without the item causing the exception, but notify the user of item(s) in the cart that couldn't be processed for whatever reason. Unhandled exceptions are just lazy.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • JM55546JM55546 Posts: 133
    Agree with Jeffbr. They sell thousands of tickets via this system. There's no reason the poster shouldn't have been subtracted from
    Inventory and held out until The order was fixed or cancelled
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 14,982
    jeffbr said:

CopperTom said:

Completely disagree. Any good system should be able to handle exceptions. If the system knows that there is an exception and just dumps it into a queue for manual processing, it just means that it isn't robust enough. If they recognize there is an exception, then it isn't a stretch to think that they could wrap some code around that exception. Process the order without the item causing the exception, but notify the user of item(s) in the cart that couldn't be processed for whatever reason. Unhandled exceptions are just lazy.
    I agree. Ten club should double our dues and buy a robust system.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

on2legs said:

jeffbr said:

CopperTom said:

I know it is hard for 10c apologists to grasp, but discussions like this could be useful in thinking about ways of making improvements. If you think a vendor is going to double licensing fees because they added some exception handling to their system, then perhaps you've been dealing with the wrong vendors. This type of feedback should be seen as searching for improvement. But it seems many 10c apologists are thrilled with mediocrity, and are clearly 10c's target audience. This acceptance of mediocrity and status quo seems to be prevalent throughout society and has given us some fantastic presidential nominees this time around as well. Mediocrity FTW!!!
    jeffbr said:

on2legs said:

jeffbr said:

CopperTom said:

I know it is hard for 10c apologists to grasp, but discussions like this could be useful in thinking about ways of making improvements. If you think a vendor is going to double licensing fees because they added some exception handling to their system, then perhaps you've been dealing with the wrong vendors. This type of feedback should be seen as searching for improvement. But it seems many 10c apologists are thrilled with mediocrity, and are clearly 10c's target audience. This acceptance of mediocrity and status quo seems to be prevalent throughout society and has given us some fantastic presidential nominees this time around as well. Mediocrity FTW!!!
    I actually agree with you, as I've had the same fight when it comes to 10C's insane shipping practices and to their vinyl manufacturer and their producer, lol. I guess I really do expect less when it comes to their website just because it's a band's fan club, not Amazon. Even I draw the line somewhere. I really don't expect ANY independently run band fan club to have a super duper robust e-commerce website just because of the nature of the business. I have come across much bigger and much more money-focused companies with worse e-commerce functionality than 10C. I guess it's really a matter of reasonable expectations vs unreasonable expectations, or, if you like, when mediocrity is reasonable given the circumstances and when it's not. In general, I completely agree that most people are way to open to mediocrity.
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 14,982
    jeffbr said:

on2legs said:

jeffbr said:

CopperTom said:

The system works fine 99.5% of the time. And would have worked fine if the OP didn't have an expired item in his cart. I'm not a 10c apologist. I just have an issue with the micro nitpicking that goes on here all the time. Some of you people must be loads of fun at a party the way you mope around here complaining all the time.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

on2legs said:

jeffbr said:

on2legs said:

jeffbr said:

CopperTom said:

The system works fine 99.5% of the time. And would have worked fine if the OP didn't have an expired item in his cart. I'm not a 10c apologist. I just have an issue with the micro nitpicking that goes on here all the time. Some of you people must be loads of fun at a party the way you mope around here complaining all the time.
    Agreed. I thought that the expectation of a sale going smoothly with an expired item in the cart is a little far-fetched as well. I would expect that on Amazon, not pearljam.com.
    PJ_Soul said:

jeffbr said:

on2legs said:

jeffbr said:

CopperTom said:

I actually agree with you, as I've had the same fight when it comes to 10C's insane shipping practices and to their vinyl manufacturer and their producer, lol. I guess I really do expect less when it comes to their website just because it's a band's fan club, not Amazon. Even I draw the line somewhere. I really don't expect ANY independently run band fan club to have a super duper robust e-commerce website just because of the nature of the business. I have come across much bigger and much more money-focused companies with worse e-commerce functionality than 10C. I guess it's really a matter of reasonable expectations vs unreasonable expectations, or, if you like, when mediocrity is reasonable given the circumstances and when it's not. In general, I completely agree that most people are way to open to mediocrity.
    I try not to bitch just to bitch, but when there are things I think could be improved, I am certainly happy to interject. I agree with you about shipping. I know you Canadians really took a hit over the last few years with their shipping prices. And all of us in the US suffer with their decision to go with Mail Innovations. I don't expect a fan club to have a world-class ecommerce/merchant solution, and don't expect them to compete with Amazon. But I do expect better communication, a rethink of their shipping policies and fees, and some improvements in their ecommerce solution - especially since it has been pointed out numerous times that their merch is their bread and butter. If their main source of revenue is merch, and most of that is sold through their online store, then I would think they'd put the appropriate effort into ensuring that the transactions are as seamless as possible so that people continue to want to buy. As it stands, I only purchase music (and an occasional tshirt) from 10c that is exclusive to their store.
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    on2legs said:

jeffbr said:

on2legs said:

jeffbr said:

CopperTom said:

Whaddya mean "you people" :lol::get_outta_here:
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • MUZIKMUZIK Posts: 629
    a band that's been around for over 25 years made millions and millions of dollars, and people still think there running a mom and pop shop lol.

10C can do no wrong!

09.11.98, 08.24.00, 08.25.00, 04.30.03, 07.08.03, 07.08.03, 09.15.05, 09.16.05, 09.19.05, 09.30.05, 10.01.05, 05.12.06, 05.13.06, 05.25.06, 05.27.06, 05.28.06, 06.01.06, 06.03.06, 06.19.08, 06.20.08, 06.22.08, 06.24.08, 06.25.08, 06.27.08, 06.28.08, 06.30.08, 07.01.08, 08.05.08, 08.07.08, 10.27.09, 10.30.09, 10.31.09, 05.18.10, 05.20.10, 05.21.10, 10.15.13, 10.18.13, 10,19,13, 9.23.15, 9.26.15, 04.28.16, 04.29.16, 05.01.16, 05.02.16, 05.06.22, 05.07.22, 09.14.22
  • jeffbr said:

on2legs said:

jeffbr said:

CopperTom said:

MUZIK said:

a band that's been around for over 25 years made millions and millions of dollars, and people still think there running a mom and pop shop lol.

10C can do no wrong!

10C and the band are not the same thing, and 10C certainly can do wrong, and there are always plenty of people willing to point it out.