Options

Should the US institute a ban on assault weapons.

Comments

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited June 2016
    other

Jason P said:

disagree, I agree there should be some laws and back ground checks but have you done the home work to get a fully automatic gun ??? pretty spendy.

Godfather.

And how many mass shootings have occurred due to an automatic gun?????????

????????

????????????
    automatic weapons are already illegal to own unless you do a mountain of paper work and a huge fee not to mention an additional back ground check but that aside mass killing don't happen due to automatic weapons they occur do to people and if a nut case wants to kill he/she will find a way, a little history should tell you that....on top of all that I think this auto gun show is a bunch of bullshit used as a distraction by the government and the media.

Godfather.

You are right. Not using correct language is not going to help the debate as to what should or should not be legal. If you want to take guns away, at least know what kind of fucking gun you are talking about. No wonder people are against gun laws created by liberal politicians. In CO, they accidentally made one of the most popular shotguns illegal due to poor definitions as to what they were really trying to restrict. Godfather is right, there's a major differences between semi-auto (one trigger pull one bullet) and automatic (one trigger pull multi bullets). If someone had taken a true "automatic" gun in there such as an M249(SAW) or M60, the death toll would have been closer to 250. Rhetoric matters. Same thing with clips vs magazines. At the very least research what gun components exactly you want to make illegal if you want to be taken seriously.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    other

I also have the right not to be killed by your guns. The unalienable right to life. That trumps your second amendment.

nothing trumps our 2nd amendment stop being paranoid.

Godfather.

Actually, my right to not die does trump your second amendment. There are many exceptions that Trump many amendments.
    That's a slippery slope. Should my right not to be plagiarized or verbally attacked trump the first amendment? Should I call for a repeal? Apples and oranges I know, but repealing the 2nd could very well put in jeopardy all of the rest.
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    Yes

I also have the right not to be killed by your guns. The unalienable right to life. That trumps your second amendment.

Godfather.

Actually, my right to not die does trump your second amendment. There are many exceptions that Trump many amendments.

Legit question....I have often wondered this same thing. How can someone's 2nd amendment right be more important than my right to safety, security, life, and liberty? Every time we have a mass shooting, every time I see another person murdered in my city, I wonder when enough will be enough. I don't want to take your guns away but I really think we need to enact some common sense rules.

So, real question to those of you that support the 2nd amendment....where does your 2nd amendment rights end and my right to life and liberty begin?
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    other
    riotgrl said:

Godfather.

Legit question....I have often wondered this same thing. How can someone's 2nd amendment right be more important than my right to safety, security, life, and liberty? Every time we have a mass shooting, every time I see another person murdered in my city, I wonder when enough will be enough. I don't want to take your guns away but I really think we need to enact some common sense rules.

So, real question to those of you that support the 2nd amendment....where does your 2nd amendment rights end and my right to life and liberty begin?
    The 2nd is all about liberty and being able to choose how you want to protect your life, security, liberty, belongings, etc.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    No
    PJPOWER said:

riotgrl said:

Godfather.

The 2nd is all about liberty and being able to choose how you want to protect your life, security, liberty, belongings, etc.
    you worry should be criminals and other forms of vermin...not guns.

Godfather.

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    Yes
    There was no such thing as an "assault" or semi-automatic weapon when the 2nd amendment was written. remember that.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    No
    lolobugg said:

There was no such thing as an "assault" or semi-automatic weapon when the 2nd amendment was written. remember that.

and there was only a printing press when the first amendment was written.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:

lolobugg said:

and there was only a printing press when the first amendment was written.
    that is the worst analogy I have ever heard.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    other
    mace1229 said:

Free said:

pjalive21 said:

Free said:

There are 2 uses for assault weapons.

1. Target practice
    2. To kill

If you're not going to the shooting range why would one own an assault weapon?

You just contradicted your own vote...target practice is enough of a reason

And how many people with "collections" actually go to target practice?
    I would think almost everyone. I have a gun collection and have only ever used any of them for target practice/sport. Same with everyone I know who owns a gun, And with the exception of those in military or law enforcement, target practice is just for fun and not any sort of tactical training. I don't know anyone with a gun collection who doesn't go out and shoot them every once in a while, except maybe those who inherited a couple 100 year old family relics and wouldn't even know how to shoot them, but that's hardly a gun collection in my opinion.
    This is not accurate to situations beyond your group in your region.
    All across the Midwest there are at least hundreds of thousands of gun owners with huge caches that never see the light of day, many of these folks wouldn't even admit to owning anything more than a .22LR or shotgun. People have dozens of guns and they sit and wait for the zombie apocalypse, maybe they go out and shoot at rocks and trees from time to time, but they aren't logging range time or wasting their precious bullets lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Yes

Godfather.

your right to bear arms trumps my right to life?? you have officially lost your fucking mind.

paranoid is thinking everyone in a turban is out to blow you up.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Yes
    PJPOWER said:

riotgrl said:

Godfather.

It's about your liberty because you choose guns. If I choose to not own a gun then I am at your mercy. I have to hope that you are a responsible, sane gun owner.

True story. I love my parents with all my heart but they should not have guns in their home. One with untreated PTSD (thanks, Vietnam War) and one with untreated depression. However, both are easily cleared, under current laws, to buy whatever gun they want. That infringes on my liberty.

I AM MINE
  • Options
    Yes
    riotgrl said:

PJPOWER said:

riotgrl said:

Godfather.

It's about your liberty because you choose guns. If I choose to not own a gun then I am at your mercy. I have to hope that you are a responsible, sane gun owner.

True story. I love my parents with all my heart but they should not have guns in their home. One with untreated PTSD (thanks, Vietnam War) and one with untreated depression. However, both are easily cleared, under current laws, to buy whatever gun they want. That infringes on my liberty.
    well, it doesn't, unfortuntalely, unless they turn that gun on you and fire it.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited June 2016
    other
    rgambs said:

mace1229 said:

Free said:

pjalive21 said:

Free said:

1. Target practice
    2. To kill

I would think almost everyone. I have a gun collection and have only ever used any of them for target practice/sport. Same with everyone I know who owns a gun, And with the exception of those in military or law enforcement, target practice is just for fun and not any sort of tactical training. I don't know anyone with a gun collection who doesn't go out and shoot them every once in a while, except maybe those who inherited a couple 100 year old family relics and wouldn't even know how to shoot them, but that's hardly a gun collection in my opinion.
    This is not accurate to situations beyond your group in your region.
    All across the Midwest there are at least hundreds of thousands of gun owners with huge caches that never see the light of day, many of these folks wouldn't even admit to owning anything more than a .22LR or shotgun. People have dozens of guns and they sit and wait for the zombie apocalypse, maybe they go out and shoot at rocks and trees from time to time, but they aren't logging range time or wasting their precious bullets lol
    Then why is it so hard to find range space? You would be surprised how many people ARE very proficient...at least in Texas. Most of rural Texas is agricultural and we were raised and taught to hunt and shoot very well. I cannot speak for other places. 4H, Boy Scouts and many other organizations teach accuracy and gun safety all around the country. 3gun competitions are gaining interests especially in the female populace. Maybe there are some out there buying guns to put in their closet, but there are plenty out there at the range as well.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    other
    I suppose the difference there is that you can't shoot rifles safely without hills to shoot into, and most of Texas is miserably flat lol

Still though, the number of paranoid horders is much much higher than most people (particularly city folk) would ever guess.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    other
    rgambs said:

I suppose the difference there is that you can't shoot rifles safely without hills to shoot into, and most of Texas is miserably flat lol

Still though, the number of paranoid horders is much much higher than most people (particularly city folk) would ever guess.

You're probably right about the cities. As far at Texas being flat, the prairies are probably where you would find the most long range shooters. There are miles and miles of open grassland. There is a reason that there are not many bow hunters on the grasslands. You have to be a good aim to hunt there where the average shot is 400-500 yards.
  • Options
    other
    riotgrl said:

PJPOWER said:

riotgrl said:

Godfather.

I guess we just see things differently, and that is liberty. Are you afraid your parents will go on a shooting rampage?
  • Options
    Yes

riotgrl said:

PJPOWER said:

riotgrl said:

Godfather.

Exactly my point. I have to hope that I can get them help because I know the VA has done little to help my dad. Common sense gun laws and changes to our mental health system would go a long way. I don't believe that I should sit on my hands and pray that they keep it together. Action is the only way to help.

I AM MINE
  • Options
    No

Godfather.

your right to bear arms trumps my right to life?? you have officially lost your fucking mind.

no, my mind in tact but I seem to be driving you crazy, are you experiencing any delusional thoughts about turtle migration or un-necessary feelings of happiness ?
    it's only a forum man take it easy and have a Xanax .....put the lime in the coconut

Godfather

• Options
    edited June 2016
    other
    riotgrl said:

riotgrl said:

PJPOWER said:

riotgrl said:

Godfather.

Exactly my point. I have to hope that I can get them help because I know the VA has done little to help my dad. Common sense gun laws and changes to our mental health system would go a long way. I don't believe that I should sit on my hands and pray that they keep it together. Action is the only way to help.
    By that statement, I would hope that you are doing everything you could do to educate yourself and them about their conditions. Please do not wait on a government law or someone else to help them, no one will care about them enough to connect them to the right treatment or resources other than those close. It's all about taking personal responsibility. Life, liberty, happiness is all about personal effort, not some entity telling you how to live your life. You are right, action is the only way to help. I just believe individual action goes a lot further and is quicker than politician action. My heart is with you and your parents, I wish you the best!
  • Options
    Yes
    PJPOWER said:

riotgrl said:

riotgrl said:

PJPOWER said:

riotgrl said:

Godfather.

By that statement, I would hope that you are doing everything you could do to educate yourself and them about their conditions. Please do not wait on a government law or someone else to help them, no one will care about them enough to connect them to the right treatment or resources other than those close. It's all about taking personal responsibility. Life, liberty, happiness is all about personal effort, not some entity telling you how to live your life. You are right, action is the only way to help. I just believe individual action goes a lot further and is quicker than politician action. My heart is with you and your parents, I wish you the best!
    Thank you for the good thoughts, they are appreciated.

I don't feel like he's a threat and I agree that we shouldn't depend on the government to fix all of our problems. I do, however, believe that our government bears some responsibility for helping him.

I AM MINE
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123

Jason P said:

disagree, I agree there should be some laws and back ground checks but have you done the home work to get a fully automatic gun ??? pretty spendy.

Godfather.

And how many mass shootings have occurred due to an automatic gun?????????

????????

????????????
    automatic weapons are already illegal to own unless you do a mountain of paper work and a huge fee not to mention an additional back ground check but that aside mass killing don't happen due to automatic weapons they occur do to people and if a nut case wants to kill he/she will find a way, a little history should tell you that....on top of all that I think this auto gun show is a bunch of bullshit used as a distraction by the government and the media.

Godfather.

It's a $200 fee.

Why aren't nutcases using automatic weapons? By your logic they can find a way to get them. History has told us that, right?
  • Options
    Yes

Godfather.

no, my mind in tact but I seem to be driving you crazy, are you experiencing any delusional thoughts about turtle migration or un-necessary feelings of happiness ?
    it's only a forum man take it easy and have a Xanax .....put the lime in the coconut

Godfather

and out comes the "you need to relax" passive aggressive bullshit. so predictable. no substance. just nonsense.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    No
    I'm beginning to think every American should be armed, maybe visitors to America should have the option of arming themselves ... These things are happening more and more frequently and involve more victims ... Seems like the odds are increasing that one in America could easily get caught up in one of these psycho's agenda, might want to have fighting chance...I kid of course.

So when are all the folks who want to disarm the citizenry going to call for the disarming of police, secret service, military and on and on...it seems like the police are involved in many questionable shootongs.

I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    No
    lolobugg said:

there was no flushing toilets either, no cell phones, no ball point pens but there were a lot of armed citizens that fought for their freedom and built a country.....and guess what ? guns have played a major roll in making and keeping America free from the beginning.

Godfather.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    Yes
    "It’s An Honor To Continue Being Valued Over Countless Human Lives.... You see, I’m just a humble lightweight, magazine-fed semi-automatic rifle; I never expected this kind of outpouring of affection." - AR-15

http://www.theonion.com/blogpost/its-honor-continue-being-valued-over-countless-hum-53094
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    callen said:

mace1229 said:

Free said:

pjalive21 said:

Free said:

1. Target practice
    2. To kill

So your little thrill of a Hobby kills thousands. But fk it you have rights. Fuck everyone else.
    Actually I was answering another question about who actually does target shooting, never made a comment about gun control. But thank you for jumping to conclusions without any real knowledge of the situation. Assault rifles aren't even the real problem, they account for less than 1% of gun deaths. But I'd still support some restrictions on assault rifles. I would agree 100% there is no practical need for large magazines and fast reloading capabilities.
    Sorry to take you off your high horse, but almost everyone has that attitude you accused me of. Second hand smoke kills more every year than guns, but fuck it, you have the right to smoke right? Drunk driving kills more children than guns, but who wants to restrict alcohol right? Lets just ignore all other statistics and accuse anyone who owns a gun of being selfish and having a small penis. And lets not acknowledge the real problem behind gun violence and just focus on assault rifles that will solve nothing.
    Lets not focus on the gangs of Chicago and South Central LA and try to get kids back in school, and harsher penalties for gang involvement, or strict enforcement of gun laws already in place because most gun deaths occur from illegally purchased or carried hand guns because that actually would solve something if we did focus n that. I'm just going to criticize assault rifles and anyone who owns a gun instead because it makes it sound like I care if I do,
  • Options
    No

Godfather.

Godfather

and out comes the "you need to relax" passive aggressive bullshit. so predictable. no substance. just nonsense.

sometimes I just get tired of your know it all bullshit...and have to realize that you and everybody else are no wiser than the next guy, so what would be the point of getting all ugly all the time ?

Godfather.

• Options
    Yes

lolobugg said:

there was no flushing toilets either, no cell phones, no ball point pens but there were a lot of armed citizens that fought for their freedom and built a country.....and guess what ? guns have played a major roll in making and keeping America free from the beginning.

Godfather.

toilets, ball point pens, and cell phones aren't designed to kill HUMANS.
    and yes gun violence has kept us free(against other sociopathic regimes) but has also contributed to many needless deaths.
    I don't see the correlation between military and citizens being able to own "automatic" weapons.
    are you seriously one of these guys that thinks some redneck with a cache of guns would stand a chance against a military? c'mon man, if you wanted to overthrow those stupid democrats you should've done it before they invented laser weapons and helicopter gunships.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938

lolobugg said:

Godfather.

It's a real tragedy that there are so many toilet, phone, and pen-related fatalities - especially when fifty people die instantaneously because of them. I'm not sure who you're trying to convince that semi-automatic weaponry is necessary for you to feel secure in life - but I assure you, your complete lack of logic guarantees it won't be anyone reading your train of (lack of) thought.

But now, a tribute to the fallen ones, showing the brutality of non-traditional weapons and their potential to harm. May they rest in peace.

'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Yes
    “There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.” HST

this is what I always think of when the godfather lays down his wisdom.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore