Should the US institute a ban on assault weapons.

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Yes
    It's not even close how many of us here want something to be done instead of the folks that just want status quo to continue, every couple of months a massacre happens no big deal let's just cut it as collateral damage !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 900
    Yes
    What is stopping a ban on guns in the US? Or at least stricter laws?

If the president of the us wanted more laws, couldn't he just enforce them? Is it a public vote and less than 50% want change?
    (Yes I'm ignorant to how US laws come into practice)
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2016
    Yes
    While it's the gun and violence culture that really needs to change, I also support gun regulation, and I see absolutely no reason for anyone who is a civilian to own an assault weapon, and there shouldn't be opportunity for a potential murderer to buy them legally. A ban of them would reduce the ability of those who shouldn't have them to get their hands on them (at the very least, people should have to jump through EXTENSIVE hoops to get them - I'm talking full on investigation into their personal lives and shit... just the wait list to get a license this way would probably deter a lot of people). Any reduction in gun violence warrants further regulation IMO. Why the fuck not? I couldn't care less about gun nuts who enjoy their gun hard ons. Doesn't matter to me one bit if they are sad about not being able to get their little rush from firing a stupid AR-15 or whatever at the range.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    edited June 2016
    Yes

If the president of the us wanted more laws, couldn't he just enforce them? Is it a public vote and less than 50% want change?

There will never be a ban on guns in the U.S.

Basically laws have to get through congress before going to the president.

He could, I think, do an executive order, but all hell would break loose.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited June 2016
    No

Plus you have that thing called the 2nd amendment
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2016
    Yes

Yeah, it doesn't work like this, since it's not a dictatorship.
    You wouldn't believe the power that the NRA/gun lobbyists have managed to gain in government and over Republicans (who hold a majority in both Congress and the Senate right now). Obama can't get around them without basically starting a civil war. If he could he most certainly would.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    Yes

what is stopping it? that's easy. the NRA and the republican party.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    Yes
    pjalive21 said:

Free said:

There are 2 uses for assault weapons.

1. Target practice
    2. To kill

If you're not going to the shooting range why would one own an assault weapon?

You just contradicted your own vote...target practice is enough of a reason

And how many people with "collections" actually go to target practice?
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:

an outdated poorly written article needs to rewritten, or even repealed.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    No
    Free said:

pjalive21 said:

Free said:

1. Target practice
    2. To kill

I do Twice a month. The 200 yard range is fun. I also shoot skeet a few times a year and go shoot my handgun every few months.
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited June 2016
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:

Free said:

pjalive21 said:

Free said:

1. Target practice
    2. To kill

I do Twice a month. The 200 yard range is fun. I also shoot skeet a few times a year and go shoot my handgun every few months.
    Are they assault weapons?

And do you fear the govt is "coming to take your guns?"
    Post edited by Free on
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    edited June 2016
    Yes
    link to story in Tuesday's Philadelphia Inquirer - 7 fucking minutes to by an AR-15. disgusting

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/helen_ubinas/20160614_Ubinas__I_bought_an_AR-15_semi-automatic_rifle_in_Philly_in_7_minutes.html
    Post edited by pjhawks on
    No
    Free said:

mcgruff10 said:

Free said:

pjalive21 said:

Free said:

1. Target practice
    2. To kill

Are they assault weapons?

And do you fear the govt is "coming to take your guns?"
    Yes one rifle is an "assault weapon" and the majority of my other rifles were issued during ww2. I then have a couple .22 lr semi autos and bolt action 30.06 that i use for hunting.

I do not fear the govt is coming to take my guns.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    other
    jeffbr said:

rgambs said:

We need to focus more on the specific appointments and features than the specific weapons that package them.

Essentially that would be a ban on assault rifles, but it would avoid the trifling arguments of the hobbyists.

I don't consider myself a hobbyist at this point. I don't have any desire to purchase a high capacity, large caliber, semi-auto sporting rifle at this point in my life. But the laws and regulations need to be written clearly because we've all seen gov't create unintended consequences for new initiatives. I just want to make sure that we aren't legislating against the look of a firearm, while allowing something more dangerous and less scary looking past, and vice versa. A .22 caliber scary looking semi auto doesn't concern me, but would that be covered in the assault weapons ban? A normal looking Ruger 10/22 .22 caliber rifle would clearly not be prohibited. What happens when someone changes out the stock/grip/magazine? Essentially the same rifle, same firing mechanism, same caliber, but now is scary looking. Is it now an assault weapon?
    I'm asking these questions not as a nitpicking hobbyist, but to make sure that when people are making proposals on prohibitions, we are crystal clear what is allowed and what is not. That is the only way we'll be able to enforce it.

Legal under this ban?

Same gun. Still legal under the ban?

I like rgambs solution. Quit talking about the gun itself (AR-15 or whatever gun you don't like), and talk about those aspects or features that convert it from ordinary sporting use.
    Research our previous "assault" ban and all those things you'd like to have done were.
    California also had an extensive ban.
    Basically if it looked cool it got banned.
    I think the 22 was the only thing spared in that bill.
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Yes

mcgruff10 said:

an outdated poorly written article needs to rewritten, or even repealed.
    Outdated is a good term for it.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Yes
    absolutely
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Yes
    Absofuckinlutely
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Yes
    Absofukinlutelyloo

(One upped you!)
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Free said:

pjalive21 said:

Free said:

1. Target practice
    2. To kill

I would think almost everyone. I have a gun collection and have only ever used any of them for target practice/sport. Same with everyone I know who owns a gun, And with the exception of those in military or law enforcement, target practice is just for fun and not any sort of tactical training. I don't know anyone with a gun collection who doesn't go out and shoot them every once in a while, except maybe those who inherited a couple 100 year old family relics and wouldn't even know how to shoot them, but that's hardly a gun collection in my opinion.
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Free said:

1. Target practice
    2. To kill

Small penis along with insecurities. Oh oh and being selfish as fk.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
    mcgruff10 said:

It's an Amendment.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
    mace1229 said:

Free said:

pjalive21 said:

Free said:

1. Target practice
    2. To kill

I would think almost everyone. I have a gun collection and have only ever used any of them for target practice/sport. Same with everyone I know who owns a gun, And with the exception of those in military or law enforcement, target practice is just for fun and not any sort of tactical training. I don't know anyone with a gun collection who doesn't go out and shoot them every once in a while, except maybe those who inherited a couple 100 year old family relics and wouldn't even know how to shoot them, but that's hardly a gun collection in my opinion.
    So your little thrill of a Hobby kills thousands. But fk it you have rights. Fuck everyone else.
    Yes
    I also have the right not to be killed by your guns. The unalienable right to life. That trumps your second amendment.
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    No

I also have the right not to be killed by your guns. The unalienable right to life. That trumps your second amendment.

nothing trumps our 2nd amendment stop being paranoid.

Godfather.

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    They are called assault weapons, not defend weapons. Anyone who wants one should go through the same level of scrutiny that a person goes through to obtain an automatic gun.
    No
    disagree, I agree there should be some laws and back ground checks but have you done the home work to get a fully automatic gun ??? pretty spendy.

Godfather.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Yes

Godfather.

Lol you called this poster paranoid ga ha that's the funniest thing you've posted , aren't you afraid of all the brown folks coming over the border to ruin your way of life and the government coming to your house to take your guns ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121

disagree, I agree there should be some laws and back ground checks but have you done the home work to get a fully automatic gun ??? pretty spendy.

Godfather.

And how many mass shootings have occurred due to an automatic gun?????????

????????

????????????
    Yes

Godfather.

Actually, my right to not die does trump your second amendment. There are many exceptions that Trump many amendments.
    No
    Jason P said:

Godfather.

And how many mass shootings have occurred due to an automatic gun?????????

????????

????????????
    automatic weapons are already illegal to own unless you do a mountain of paper work and a huge fee not to mention an additional back ground check but that aside mass killing don't happen due to automatic weapons they occur do to people and if a nut case wants to kill he/she will find a way, a little history should tell you that....on top of all that I think this auto gun show is a bunch of bullshit used as a distraction by the government and the media.

Godfather.