Options

Should the US institute a ban on assault weapons.

Comments

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Yes
    i'm not staking a position one way or another here...

but the "well regulated militia" argument is absolutely hilarious and just doesn't fly in todays world...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    Yes
    my2hands said:

but the "well regulated militia" argument is absolutely hilarious and just doesn't fly in todays world...

Not at all. Today's version of a "well regulated militia" in America is fucking terrifying. Any kind of "militia" that grows in America today is just a big extremist group packed with criminals and white supremacists.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited June 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

man I'm glad the rest of the country don't think like you guy's ! HAHHAHHAHHAHHA !!!!

Godfather.

Most of American actually doesn't think that way. It's just that the Republican politicians are being bought off, which I gather you are totally cool with.

psssssssssst....don't say anything but they're all being bought off...shhhhhhhhhh !

vote Trump !

Godfather.

:confused: It's not a secret that the NRA is buying off Republicans - no need to be quiet about it!
    so who's buying off the Dem's ? big oil ? corporate giant's ? some celeb's even buy a little political clout and if the NRA is buying politician or two....GREAT !!!! that's one for the good guy's

Godfather.
    FTR, the NRA isn't the only lobby that is buying Republicans... just in case you got that into your head somehow. I never know with you.
    ahhahahahha true enough, but really most responsible gun owners (millions) don't have a problem with wider back ground checks, I believe the other stuff they add into the bill that gets people pissed off, personally I think wider back ground checks are a no brainer although I don't agree with an "assault weapons" ban, if there is a ban on assault rifles where will it end ? any semi automatic hand gun ? then a law allowing only X amount of guns per house hold ? then a complete gun ban ?

Godfather.

that's what i've been saying for years. I have no problem with multiple background checks just don't ban anything. first it's semi automatic scary weapons, then handguns, then shotguns, then 5 round mags.....before long all I'll have is a bolt action .410 lol.
    why don't we just ban manufacture and sale of ammo? make ammo more difficult to get.

That way people can have all the guns they want, and then they need to pass a background check to buy ammo. and once they can buy ammo it has to be done in person, with valid id, at a gun store. no online sales where people can hide their motives and true identity. no sales across state borders.

if people don't want any guns banned, we have to control the ammo supply.
    sure man because nobody knows how to reload ammo.......are you out of your cotton pickin mind ????

Godfather.

nope. we need to regulate the ammo.

if guns are not the problem, the ammo is. we can't infringe on the right to have guns, but we can limit the amount of ammo people can buy and we can regulate how and where they can get it from.

we regulate fireworks for fucks sake, why can't we regulate ammo?

you can keep your guns. but you have to drive your ass to the local gun store, pass your background check, buy your ammo from that store in limited quantities. no online sales, no shipping. you have to buy it with your credit or debit card so there is a record of the purchase.

if people don't have anything to hide and if they want to shoot their guns, they have to put in a little effort. this will make it harder for the the crazy people to go out and murder a bunch of people.

if you could only purchase a limited supply of ammo you will have to be judicious with how you use it. there will be no wasted shots. if the person can actually shoot there will be less bystanders being hit.

just my opinion.
    In New Jersey you have to obtain a firearm identification card to buy handgun ammunition. In order to get a firearm Id card you need to get fingerprinted, criminal background check, mental health background check, two non family references, employer contacted and then must fill out a referral.
    Not a bad idea bud but online sales are nice since I can usually get free shipping and cheaper prices.
    But yeah, you can reload lol.
    This is far from what happens in OH. You fill out the form (which just asks yes or no if you have mental problems or have felonies), give the seller your license to get FBI background check which they do via computer and phone call, and pay for your gun. That's it. No finger prints. Limit is only 1 hand gun purchased per week. No limits at all for long guns including AR AK etc. No limits for ammo from stores here (except usually 2 boxes of 22lr per person like at Field and Stream or Cabelas). You just have to answer question if you are legal citizen or not. So who's gonna answer NOT?? I don't think I've ever shown my license to buy ammo. You can pay cash too.

If you have an OH license, no crime, over 18... Seems like anyone could purchase a gun in OH. If you have money, you can purchase ammo.
    Post edited by PP193448 on
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited June 2016
    other
    PJ_Soul said:

my2hands said:

Not at all. Today's version of a "well regulated militia" in America is fucking terrifying. Any kind of "militia" that grows in America today is just a big extremist group packed with criminals and white supremacists.

I think it is more to do with people being able to arm themselves against a militia of white supremacist or any "militia" that could possibly threaten the people, including a fascist foreign or domestic government. I feel that this "well regulated militia" is not what you think it means in reference to who should or should not be armed. It was not written so that only militias could be armed, it was written so that "the people" could protect themselves as a last resort if needed.
    The army is just one example of a needed well regulated militia, and they are needed to protect us from other armies to hopefully secure a free state, but if shit hits the fan and the army is tied up and another crazy group tries to attack the people, then the people have the right to bear arms against them or any other threat to their right to life and Liberty.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Yes

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

man I'm glad the rest of the country don't think like you guy's ! HAHHAHHAHHAHHA !!!!

Godfather.

Most of American actually doesn't think that way. It's just that the Republican politicians are being bought off, which I gather you are totally cool with.

psssssssssst....don't say anything but they're all being bought off...shhhhhhhhhh !

vote Trump !

Godfather.

:confused: It's not a secret that the NRA is buying off Republicans - no need to be quiet about it!
    so who's buying off the Dem's ? big oil ? corporate giant's ? some celeb's even buy a little political clout and if the NRA is buying politician or two....GREAT !!!! that's one for the good guy's

Godfather.
    FTR, the NRA isn't the only lobby that is buying Republicans... just in case you got that into your head somehow. I never know with you.
    ahhahahahha true enough, but really most responsible gun owners (millions) don't have a problem with wider back ground checks, I believe the other stuff they add into the bill that gets people pissed off, personally I think wider back ground checks are a no brainer although I don't agree with an "assault weapons" ban, if there is a ban on assault rifles where will it end ? any semi automatic hand gun ? then a law allowing only X amount of guns per house hold ? then a complete gun ban ?

Godfather.

that's what i've been saying for years. I have no problem with multiple background checks just don't ban anything. first it's semi automatic scary weapons, then handguns, then shotguns, then 5 round mags.....before long all I'll have is a bolt action .410 lol.
    why don't we just ban manufacture and sale of ammo? make ammo more difficult to get.

That way people can have all the guns they want, and then they need to pass a background check to buy ammo. and once they can buy ammo it has to be done in person, with valid id, at a gun store. no online sales where people can hide their motives and true identity. no sales across state borders.

if people don't want any guns banned, we have to control the ammo supply.
    sure man because nobody knows how to reload ammo.......are you out of your cotton pickin mind ????

Godfather.

nope. we need to regulate the ammo.

if guns are not the problem, the ammo is. we can't infringe on the right to have guns, but we can limit the amount of ammo people can buy and we can regulate how and where they can get it from.

we regulate fireworks for fucks sake, why can't we regulate ammo?

you can keep your guns. but you have to drive your ass to the local gun store, pass your background check, buy your ammo from that store in limited quantities. no online sales, no shipping. you have to buy it with your credit or debit card so there is a record of the purchase.

if people don't have anything to hide and if they want to shoot their guns, they have to put in a little effort. this will make it harder for the the crazy people to go out and murder a bunch of people.

if you could only purchase a limited supply of ammo you will have to be judicious with how you use it. there will be no wasted shots. if the person can actually shoot there will be less bystanders being hit.

just my opinion.
    Very good ideas here. I would add that if you're buying more ammo, you should have to account for the ammo you're replacing. If you're buying a box of shotgun shells, for example, where did the box you're replacing go? Did you shoot 10 deer? Target practice? Put it on record what people are using these guns for.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Yes
    I seriously doubt that most gun nuts are imagining that their desire to have full access to guns makes sense because all the minorities and liberals need to protect themselves from right wing white supremacists, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    other
    PJ_Soul said:

my2hands said:

or could logically argued is already in place , in each states national guard.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    Yes
    Every damn day I have to read about shootings or someone shooting themselves by accident..etc.etc..... when is enough enough?
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:

It s amazing how democrats were against the patriot act because it took away some of our constitutional right but in regard to gun control they are ok with taking away your right to due process. And then you can flip it around for the republicans. God I d love a third party!!!

I know this is old logic, but it holds true...AR15? Where is your limit? a Tank? Jet? Nuke?

Can you tell me what kind of weapons will be available 250 years from now? I doubt it... Neither could people living in the 1700's...

Why are some common sense laws so wrong?

• Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827
    myoung321 said:

Every damn day I have to read about shootings or someone shooting themselves by accident..etc.etc..... when is enough enough?

Every day I have to read about people getting killed, or killing others and also getting injured, as well as injuring others in car accidents. 38,300 people were killed and 4.4 million injured in car accidents last year. When are we going to get rid of cars? They're weapons on four wheels. Enough is enough there as well, correct??
  • Options
    Yes
    Oh brother. Not another gun vs. car theorist, lol.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    No
    myoung321 said:

mcgruff10 said:

It s amazing how democrats were against the patriot act because it took away some of our constitutional right but in regard to gun control they are ok with taking away your right to due process. And then you can flip it around for the republicans. God I d love a third party!!!

I know this is old logic, but it holds true...AR15? Where is your limit? a Tank? Jet? Nuke?

Can you tell me what kind of weapons will be available 250 years from now? I doubt it... Neither could people living in the 1700's...

don't forget when the founding fathers wrote the bill of rights the "arms" they were talking about were cutting edge technology. they wanted civilians to have the same weapons that the military had.
    there's no law against owning a tank or jet...a nuke is just a stupid ass comment.

I don't understand what is wrong with me owning the finest piece of weapon technology to defend my family. average response time by the police is 3-5 minutes...a lot can happen in 3-5 minutes. god forbid there is multiple threats against my family I want the best firearm out there to defend them. father of five talking here.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Just waiting on the hypocritical response. :wink:
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Yes
    EM194007 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Try the search function. This debate has been done to death in this forum a dozen times, and the ones trying to argue that cars and guns are comparable as a pro-gun argument inevitably lost the debate every time.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

EM194007 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Try the search function. This debate has been done to death in this forum a dozen times, and the ones trying to argue that cars and guns are comparable inevitably lost the debate every time.
    No one debating, or arguing, just tired of hearing the whining. But it is the truth. I"m tired of hearing about stupid people killing them self or someone else, as well goes for the some on injuries in car accidents every day.

Just having fun. :whistle:
  • Options
    Yes
    EM194007 said:

PJ_Soul said:

keep waiting...

• Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited June 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

myoung321 said:

mcgruff10 said:

don't forget when the founding fathers wrote the bill of rights the "arms" they were talking about were cutting edge technology. they wanted civilians to have the same weapons that the military had.
    there's no law against owning a tank or jet...a nuke is just a stupid ass comment.

I don't understand what is wrong with me owning the finest piece of weapon technology to defend my family. average response time by the police is 3-5 minutes...a lot can happen in 3-5 minutes. god forbid there is multiple threats against my family I want the best firearm out there to defend them. father of five talking here.
    So you got the finest piece of... At home??? :lol: Colt, Bushmaster???

So now what will real blow the anti gun peeps minds is this... You can own a semi automatic assault weapon like an AR-15, and you can actually buy conversion kits to make it fully automatic. But it's illegal to convert it... So think about whether everyone is law abiding and not converting any???
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    No
    PP193448 said:

mcgruff10 said:

myoung321 said:

mcgruff10 said:

So you got the finest piece of... At home??? :lol: Colt, Bushmaster???

So now what will real blow the anti gun peeps minds is this... You can own a semi automatic assault weapon like an AR-15, and you can actually buy conversion kits to make it fully automatic. But it's illegal to convert it... So think about whether everyone is law abiding and not converting any???
    I do have the finest many things at home! Lol nice pick up bud.
    But I have an m&p Orc. I think it cost right around $850 after all was said and done.
    I know you can buy a conversion kit but I don't ever want to spend even one minute in jail so no thanks!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Yes
    In 250 years... if they try and ban ray guns... I'll snap.

"Hey man. Moon shuttles kill more people proportionately than ray guns. Why not ban moon shuttles? Huh?"
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    other

In 250 years... if they try and ban ray guns... I'll snap.

"Hey man. Moon shuttles kill more people proportionately than ray guns. Why not ban moon shuttles? Huh?"

You read my mind!
    I was thinking Ray guns and anti-gravity cannons lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Yes
    EM194007 said:

myoung321 said:

Every day I have to read about people getting killed, or killing others and also getting injured, as well as injuring others in car accidents. 38,300 people were killed and 4.4 million injured in car accidents last year. When are we going to get rid of cars? They're weapons on four wheels. Enough is enough there as well, correct??
    You want to start a thread about car deaths go right ahead. This thread is about a ban on assault weapons. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    other
    Pretty much what I have been arguing all along, prohibition does not work... Gun control advocates would make a lot more headway in actually helping reduce violence if they put their money and mouths into other strategies...
    https://reason.com/archives/2016/06/21/what-will-gun-controllers-do-when-americ
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    other
    PJPOWER said:

Pretty much what I have been arguing all along, prohibition does not work... Gun control advocates would make a lot more headway in actually helping reduce violence if they put their money and mouths into other strategies...

Like the black market and just where THOSE guns enter the pipeline. Lets start there. Register ALL sales by serial number.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    other
    mickeyrat said:

PJPOWER said:

Like the black market and just where THOSE guns enter the pipeline. Lets start there. Register ALL sales by serial number.
    Or rebates/tax or insurance breaks for people that follow through with safety classes or active shooter awareness trainings. People get insurance rate reductions all the time for defensive driving classes, CPR training, etc. We're always going to be dealing with crazy people using different strategies for killing. It's been stated over and over that a little situational awareness or basic first aid skills could have saved lives in different circumstances, not just those having to do with an active shooter. Hell, you could go city by city and give everyone $50 for taking a class with the billions being wasted on "gun control".
  • Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    Yes
    PJPOWER said:

Nobody is advocating a prohibition on all guns.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    other

PJPOWER said:

Where did I imply they were? Did you read the article?
    Edit: "Nobody" is not a true statement. There are some on this board that have stated all guns. Maybe the majority are not, but some definitely are.
  • Options
    Yes
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Edit: "Nobody" is not a true statement. There are some on this board that have stated all guns. Maybe the majority are not, but some definitely are.
    No, I didn't read the article I read your post. And I haven't seen anyone on there boards say they wanted to see all guns banned.
  • Options
    other

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

No, I didn't read the article I read your post. And I haven't seen anyone on there boards say they wanted to see all guns banned.
    Okay...so you were just replying to reply...wow. Seems kinda strange to post the reply that you did, when it does not pertain to the statement I made what so ever. Maybe try looking into what people are actually talking about for starts. Wow...
  • Options
    Yes

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

I think there might be one single person who said they support banning all guns. Can't remember who it is. But anyway, almost no one thinks that.
    Anyway, I did read the aritlcle, and it about prohibition of assault rifles, not all guns.