Revenge of the BOTS...Reason why PJ, The Hip and other tickets are hard to get...

2»

Comments

• RF283499RF283499 Posts: 141
    The only way to fix this is by having a system of registered users. Pay a yearly fee to use TM. You fill out an application like you would for a credit card. Then the registered users get to buy (or enter a lottery sale) on the presale. Not very unlike the system PJ uses.
  • the_donthe_don Posts: 513
    Why can't a bunch of high profile bands just take a stand already? It didn't work for PJ before, cause they were the only ones doing it. Get bruce, u2, foos, and whoever to ALL take a stand together. But of course, $$$ prevails so that will never happen...
    2000: Montreal 2003: Toronto 2005: Toronto 2006: Toronto x2 2008: MSG x2, Montreal x2 (EV), Toronto x2 (EV) 2009: Toronto 2010: Buffalo 2011: Detroit (EV), PJ20 x2, Montreal, Toronto x2, Ottawa, Hamilton 2013: London, Buffalo, Brooklyn x2, Philly x2 2014: Detroit 2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x2, Fenway x2 2018: Home Shows x2 2020: L.A. x2, Oakland x2 
    2023: Seattle x2 (EV) 2024: Vancouver x2, Seattle N2
    This is pretty good. Listen to a Hip ticket scalper get scalped by my local rock radio station.

Ah, good times.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/06/04/tragically-hip-tickets-scalper_n_10299728.html
    the_don said:

Why can't a bunch of high profile bands just take a stand already? It didn't work for PJ before, cause they were the only ones doing it. Get bruce, u2, foos, and whoever to ALL take a stand together. But of course, $$$ prevails so that will never happen...

You mean the bands that have long term contracts with Live Nation (who own TM)? To play at their venues almost exclusively and therefore use the TM ticket system.

This is the problem, the bands need Live Nation and are obligated to be in business with them.

• ZodZod Posts: 10,535
    RF283499 said:

the_don said:

You mean the bands that have long term contracts with Live Nation (who own TM)? To play at their venues almost exclusively and therefore use the TM ticket system.

This is the problem, the bands need Live Nation and are obligated to be in business with them.

+1 - PJ Tried to take a stand in '95. Not the one where Stone and Jeff went to congress but the one where they toured non-ticketmaster venues. They had to do everything themselves. Handle ticketing, security, etc... I thank that tour damn near killed them (it damn near killed Eddie). Now it's 20 years later and I don't think there's many non TM/Live Nation venues left. Musicians earn their bread and butter touring. The only way they can protest is to collectively stop touring.
  • RF283499 said:

the_don said:

Not to mention the fact that hardly anyone pays for their music anymore leaving touring as their primary income generator.

Money prevails on all levels- if someone has downloaded music for free... they're just as concerned for their bank account as bands are about their's... and are in no position to cast stones.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • RF283499 said:

This is pretty good. Listen to a Hip ticket scalper get scalped by my local rock radio station.

Ah, good times.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/06/04/tragically-hip-tickets-scalper_n_10299728.html

HTTZ is my station too & this was the best! I really hope the jerk was listening on his drive back to Mississauga lol
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,897
    edited June 2016
    the_don said:

I agree. If only PJ's most successful peers had been willing to make the same sacrifices that PJ was willing to make (god knows they could have afforded it), the fight would have probably been won in the 90s. Legislation probably would have been written to better regulate the industry.
    But in the very end i guess i blame this on government most, and its refusal to regulate for the protection of consumers. One almost has to wonder whose pockets are being lined.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Posts: 2,011
    RF283499 said:

The only way to fix this is by having a system of registered users. Pay a yearly fee to use TM. You fill out an application like you would for a credit card. Then the registered users get to buy (or enter a lottery sale) on the presale. Not very unlike the system PJ uses.

Yeah, this wouldn't piss off anyone at all. I'd love to have to fill out an application and pay a yearly fee just to buy a ticket to a concert... 10C is a completely different situation.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,897
    edited June 2016

RF283499 said:

Yeah, this wouldn't piss off anyone at all. I'd love to have to fill out an application and pay a yearly fee just to buy a ticket to a concert... 10C is a completely different situation.
    Yeah, I don't see it as an option for TM. Not least because TM has absolutely no reason to do such a thing.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,535
    I don't see that helps. I saw a video on one of the big ticketing agencies in England. They had binders and binder full of valid credit cards issued in different names. That's how they get around ticket limits. Making someone pay a fee to have a registered account on ticketmaster isn't going to eliminate any of that. Broker's make enough money they'll pay the fee(s) too.

In the article I posted i think one of things that I didn't realize was promoters paying bands more money than what they take in from ticket sales (at face value). I always blamed everything on TM, but there's so many problems that go beyond TM too. Promoter's selling blocks of tickets to brokers above Face Value so they can still make money on the concert. The whole system is rigged. I never realize how much control Promoter's had with the tickets.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    I don't see a problem with the band or promoter controlling who gets the tickets. They are putting on the event. If they want 20% to go to the public and 80% to internet presales, friends, family, business contacts, brokers, etc... then that is their right. Their show, their risk, their rules.

The problem is when the tickets allocated to the general public are not allocated fairly.

• I don't see a problem with the band or promoter controlling who gets the tickets. They are putting on the event. If they want 20% to go to the public and 80% to internet presales, friends, family, business contacts, brokers, etc... then that is their right. Their show, their risk, their rules.

The problem is when the tickets allocated to the general public are not allocated fairly.

I don't have a problem w/ the band controlling the tickets. That's it though.
    Pearl Jam is in a position to say "Hi, we want to rent your facility on this night, how much"?
    Pay the fee and then allocate tix via 10c as they see fit.