Revenge of the BOTS...Reason why PJ, The Hip and other tickets are hard to get...

The Todd Shaperio Show. Robert from Ticket Partners explains quite candidly why you can't get Tragically Hip Tickets on The Todd Shapiro Show... and you won't like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOrC-twSX3g
“Been to a few...” 

Comments

• gotsome420gotsome420 Posts: 528
    What a piece of shit, many of them out there though.
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,413
    edited June 2016
    I got about five and a half minutes through that..... thanks for sharing. The interviewee, Robert, wasn't trying to be an a-hole, but that's exactly what he came across as.
    The fact that these bots are not illegal is the real problem. As corrupt as the Ontario Liberal government is :), I wouldn't be surprised if they receive kick backs from the current ticket distribution monopoly, and/or great tickets to events.
    Post edited by BF89905 on
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 4,023
    So I guess all those Captcha's don't mean a fucking thing huh?
  • Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,272
    Ray J. T. said:

The hip presale didnt have captchas
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 4,023
    Horse2345 said:

Ray J. T. said:

I guess that just makes the nightmare even worse.
  • tinz.tinz. Posts: 2,694
    bert10486 said:

The Todd Shaperio Show. Robert from Ticket Partners explains quite candidly why you can't get Tragically Hip Tickets on The Todd Shapiro Show... and you won't like it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOrC-twSX3g

Wow..... that guy is the biggest POS hes even laughing about it.F Todd Shapiro for even letting that guy on his show....
    EV~Toronto Night 2 - 2008
    Toronto - 2009
    NYC Night 2 - 2010
    Toronto Night 2 - 2011
    Music Midtown, Atlanta - 2012
    London,ON - 2013
    Wrigley Field, Chicago - 2013
    Buffalo - 2013
    Charlottesville - 2013
    Charlotte - 2013
    Detroit - 2014
    Ottawa - 2016
    Toronto Night 1&2 - 2016
    Wrigley Field 1, Chicago - 2016
    EV~Dana Point CA - 2016
    Wrigley Field 1, Chicago - 2018
  • Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    edited June 2016
    Most expensive funeral ever he goes. This guys a beauty eh

PS - reading the comments on youtube for this video does help a little bit lol
    Post edited by Mignelli14 on
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    I hope that Robert character gets doxxed and arrested. I don't ever care what for. I just think he needs to be in jail.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    If it's legal why don't we buy a bot program?
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,185
    FoxyRedLa said:

It happens for Jordan Sneakers all the time...
  • hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    FoxyRedLa said:

Price.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Holly9075Holly9075 Posts: 195
    The guy sounds like he's majorly high on something.

Mexico City 28/11/15   Chicago 20/08/16    Boston 04/09/2018
    Quebec City 05/05/16  Chicago 22/08/16
    Ottawa 08/05/16          Taormina 26/06/17
    Toronto 10/05/16         Taormina 27/06/17
    Toronto 11/05/16         Boston 02/09/2018

• FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    hsohi said:

FoxyRedLa said:

Price.
    You wanna go in on it with me?
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,049
    FoxyRedLa said:

hsohi said:

FoxyRedLa said:

Price.
    Yes.

• Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    FrankY59 said:

FoxyRedLa said:

hsohi said:

FoxyRedLa said:

Price.
    Yes.

I'll go in on it too but I call dibs on having it on Fridays
  • Ticketmaster is in the secondary market too.

This is the caveat that speaks to how truly wrong this situation is.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    edited June 2016

Ticketmaster is in the secondary market too.

Yup. Definitely intentional they added extra steps for traditional users. Its guised as preventing bots... but it really gives them more advantage. They backdoor it, while we are stuck trying to figure out what pictures have store fronts in them. To make it more insulting... on these screens they actually say the use of bots is prohibited
  • IgotshitIDIgotshitID Posts: 895
    What a fucking piece of shit that guy is
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,535
    I thought this article was a better read:

https://theringer.com/ticket-industry-problem-solution-e4b3b71fdff6#.9wyf07xso

The problem starts long before the bots. The bots can only access the scum that's left during the public onsale. It's the stuff that goes on before the public onsale that's even worse.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I had to log in to just say wow what a sleazebag. Damn. And when he got guffawing about how he got to pay face value for tickets, that's when I was done and shut it off. I do hope some karma comes back to him somehow someday.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,897

Yeah, i really don't understand how that's legal.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited June 2016
    Ray J. T. said:

Horse2345 said:

Ray J. T. said:

I guess that just makes the nightmare even worse.
    No, it had a similar thing. You have to select photos instead (i.e. select all the photos that show a store front; select all the photos that show bodies of water, etc).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,687
    PJ_Soul said:

Simple....it's not illegal
    Unfortunately
  • PJ_Soul said:

Simple....it's not illegal
    Unfortunately
    And why it's not is the million dollar question.
  • ckravitzckravitz Posts: 1,668
    Zod said:

I thought this article was a better read:

https://theringer.com/ticket-industry-problem-solution-e4b3b71fdff6#.9wyf07xso

The problem starts long before the bots. The bots can only access the scum that's left during the public onsale. It's the stuff that goes on before the public onsale that's even worse.

Good read.

Paperless really does seem to be the solution to cripple the resellers, but I agree, there is so much else that goes on that it won't solve all the problems. It seems the only real solution is legislation that xx% of tickets must go on sale directly to fans. I don't know what that number is and it would obviously have to have exceptions so bands could play private events, etc., but at least according to that article, that's where the big issue is.

1. Go paperless
    2. Legislate a minimum % of tickets offered to the public
    3. Cripple the bots (this is LOL-easy from a tech perspective if they really wanted to)
    4. Legislate a cap on resale fees (and enforce it). Maybe 1.5x of face or something like that. I.e 100 face ticket is capped at 150. This dis-incentivizes the secondary market.

I know there is a strong current that says let the market forces play out, but the problem with that is it's not a true free market when a small number of groups are cornering it. In tainted markets like that legislation is needed to keep control.
  • There are countless solutions.

The point is that there needs to be a will towards making a change effort. The paying fans would like to see initiatives that stop them from getting gouged on the secondary market, but the secondary market is entrenched without restriction for a reason.
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    http://www.ag.ny.gov/pdfs/Ticket_Sales_Report.pdf

CURRENT LAW
    New York State law prohibits engaging “in the business of reselling any tickets to a place of entertainment” within New York State without first procuring “a license.11 Those who resell, offer to resell, or purchase with the intent to resell five or more tickets without a license are guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to penalties.12 Additionally, the law requires that brokers post a $25,000 bond with their license application to ensure compliance with the law’s provisions and cover damages to their customers from any misconduct.13 Brokers that resell tickets online must also display a hyperlink to a copy of their licenses,14 and they must display the face value of tickets along with the resale prices.15
    New York State law also makes it illegal for brokers to use Bots to bypass security measures on the websites of ticket vendors, such as Ticketmaster, or to maintain any interest in or control of such Bots.16 Anyone who violates these provisions is subject to penalties and the forfeiture of profits.17
    No current federal law specifically prohibits the use of Ticket Bots, but legislation has been proposed that would do so. The Better On-line Ticket Sales Act of 2014 or the BOTS Act, supported by Senator Charles Schumer, would prohibit, as an unfair and deceptive act, the sale or use of Ticket Bots. It would also provide for criminal penalties for those who engage in this conduct.

**All of the footnotes in this excerpt reference N.Y. Arts & Cult. Aff. L. (New York Arts & Cultural Affairs Law) 2010 version.

So on a federal level, the bots are not currently illegal. In my state, they are, so I'm not going in with any of you on the software. I'd suggest everyone check their state's laws to determine if the bots are legal there or not. THAT SAID, NY based brokers still use bots. So. Yea. Until there is any actual enforcement this shit aint gonna stop.

There was a federal bill introduced in 2014 and apparently a new version with the same name BOTS (Better On-Line Ticket Sales) Act 'introduced to the house' and then I don't know what happened. I don't know how laws work though so many someone less ignorant could google it and figure it out. https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/5104/all-info
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • What a fucking piece of shit that guy is

Nice
    edited June 2016
    No such laws where i am. Here is is perfecy legal for street scalpers to stand outside the venue and buy and sell tix as long as they aren't actually on the property. No limit on number of tix they sell.
    It's pretty brutal to stand there and watch a scalper buy a ticket from someone for face or even less and then resell it 15 seconds later at a 200% mark up .......... almost hard to blame them for doing it though. It's basically the easiest way to legally make money in the world. I feel more frustrated with the buyers.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on