When religious people won't take no for an answer

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
There's this guy at university that is very religious and runs some Christian group.
He wanted to be Facebook friends with me so I added him. Anyways, he keeps sending me Facebook event invites to his group events even though I told him I am not religious.
This is from an event he invited me to today....

Hi guys, Come along this weekend for a discussion on way to evanglise people, wheather they be family, friend or even people you meet on the street. bring your ideas along and any stories you may have of doing this sort of ministry. I will get some tips from the best apologists out there and I am sure we will all get something out of it. So see you there and God Bless.

This guy is starting to piss me off.
I had to Google the terms "evangalise" and "apologists" which is on the event and it is pretty much to convert and make deniers of God believe.

I just click ignore on each event he invites me to.

Is there anyway to block certain facebook friends from being able to send you event invites?

I feel I will make it awkward if I ask him to stop.
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Comments

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I don't do Facebook, but why not just continue to ignore those invitations? Or block him altogether; you knew what he was about when you added him.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    hedonist said:

I don't do Facebook, but why not just continue to ignore those invitations? Or block him altogether; you knew what he was about when you added him.

I didn't lol. I found out after.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    You can unfriend him. Easy peasy.

Religious people can be very persistent with gathering new victims followers.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I'm not on Facebook but I agree with the unfriending. Some guy my husband knows kept sending us political stuff that was the extreme opposite of how we think. After my husband asked him numerous times to stop, he finally just unfriended him.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    You don't have to go as far as unfriending him. If the invitation is coming from a specific group, you should be able to block everything from that group. If the invitation is coming from the guy's personal account, you can unfollow him while still remaining friends. Next time an invitation comes, look at the top right corner of the post and look for a down arrow. Clicking that should bring up the options to hide the post, block posts from the group, or unfollow the guy depending on what kind of post it is.

For example, I am a member of "The Official Pearl Jam Ten Club Members" group. If I got annoyed with posts from that group or from someone in particular, follow the pictures below:

This was from my phone, but the same should apply for desktop.
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    They want to pray for you
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    I got off the book years ago. Very thankful that I did. People can be extremely annoying.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Just say no.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1

• I feel I will make it awkward if I ask him to stop.

Sounds like it's awkward now.
    I think you know the answer.
    If it helps you out, I just returned some church brochures to some ladies knocking on doors just this past weekend. I'm not embarrassed to say that I'm a church goer. However, my doors say no soliciting. They always choose to ignore it. They are the same women every few months. I walked down the street, found them and told them, "Ladies, I do believe that you may have missed the no soliciting sign on my door."

They apologized and said that they did.

I told them that it was right there. I said that I have a church and won't be putting this information to use, so I wanted to return it.

They hopped into their vehicle and drove away, looking out their window to see if they could see me. I was at the neighbor's house, giving him the scoop.

Point is that I am one to attend church and still don't want people preaching to/at me. I stepped up and said no. Just click unfriend and be done with it. You'll be happier and then you won't have anxiety when you go onto FB.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I thought that this thread was going to be about Catholic priests.

Good thing it's just about Facebook issues. Seems easy enough to fix.

Easier than what I was thinking it was anyway.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    you could... message him back some ridiculous bullshit
    you could... avoid him like the plague
    you could... unfriend him altogether
    you could... attend one of his events
    you could... quite possibly torque his mom's engine real quick
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

You don't have to go as far as unfriending him. If the invitation is coming from a specific group, you should be able to block everything from that group. If the invitation is coming from the guy's personal account, you can unfollow him while still remaining friends. Next time an invitation comes, look at the top right corner of the post and look for a down arrow. Clicking that should bring up the options to hide the post, block posts from the group, or unfollow the guy depending on what kind of post it is.

For example, I am a member of "The Official Pearl Jam Ten Club Members" group. If I got annoyed with posts from that group or from someone in particular, follow the pictures below:

Thank you. I will try that next time he sends me an invite. He always invites from his personal page.
    I don't want to unfriend him as we will be in the same lectures and possibly classes next semester and semesters in future.
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    chadwick said:

:rofl:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.

I don't want to unfriend him as we will be in the same lectures and possibly classes next semester and semesters in future.

See what you get for being nice :lol:
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    chadwick said:

you could....get the hell off faceturd.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wow. Marky there are 34k members in that fb group.

TA, Didn't realize that you were the OP. Block out what you can. Are you positive you'll be in classes with him?
  • ^^^
    You didn't realize who the OP was?
    It's not even half a page.

^^^
    You didn't realize who the OP was?
    It's not even half a page.

Avatar change. Sorry. Mistakes. I make them. The world continues to spin.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Just be honest and if he doesn't stop, there's no shame in unfriending (blocking?) him.

If things get awkward, so be it. Getting through and over it can be a valuable experience.
  • Get off faceturd.
    deadendp said:

TA, Didn't realize that you were the OP. Block out what you can. Are you positive you'll be in classes with him?
    Yeah we study the same subject so will definitely be in lectures and if we end up being allocated in the same classes, then there too.
    FoxyRedLa said:

See what you get for being nice :lol:

Yeah, I am too nice for my own good.
    This guy thinks I need some saving. He wants me to the see the light.
    I told him twice at university I am not religious, this is before he sent me a friend request.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Just unfriend him. BFD if you have classes with him. Again, you're worrying about what people think about you, who cares? It's not like he's going to kill you for unfriending him.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless

This guy thinks I need some saving. He wants me to the see the light.
    I told him twice at university I am not religious, this is before he sent me a friend request.

Flick a light switch on and tell him that you see the light! :smiley:

Thank you. I will try that next time he sends me an invite. He always invites from his personal page.
    No problem. It would be better if he did that from a group page instead of his personal page. Imo it's easier to cut off communication from a group page than an individual's page. If you unfollow him and he posts other things not related to those invitations, then you'll be out of luck seeing those posts (more like you'll be lucky to not see those posts based on what you've said already).
    FoxyRedLa said:

Wow. Marky there are 34k members in that fb group.

Yeah. The only person from here in that group that I even recognize is dimitrispearljam because of the flag :lol: