Options

Sad news... Gord Downie has terminal brain cancer.

124»

Comments

• Options
    Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    I haven't religiously listened to the Hip in 5 years. Now I'm getting back into them and a big reason is because of this bad news. I'm going to find so many songs I forgot about, which is exciting, but I'm also sure I'll be devastated at the same time knowing Gord's situation
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    pretty sure Im registered but want to make sure. Their site has been hammered all day
  • Options
    looks like its back. I am able to sign into their site so I would assume I qualify as a 'registered user'
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,630
    MayDay10 said:

looks like its back. I am able to sign into their site so I would assume I qualify as a 'registered user'

Yes, I'd assume so. You also would have received their email announcements yesterday and today.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

MayDay10 said:

Yes, I'd assume so. You also would have received their email announcements yesterday and today.
    yeah, thats how I learned of the news.

Was eating my breakfast and my stomach dropped when I saw the subject "An important message from the band". I knew it was bad, but didnt expect it to be this bad
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852
    a girl at work compared The Hip to Nickelback. I wanted to throw her out the 10th floor window.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

a girl at work compared The Hip to Nickelback. I wanted to throw her out the 10th floor window.

That doesn't even make sense.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    canuck1973canuck1973 Waterloo, ON Posts: 3
    I'd like to see a comment from Eddie (or the band) re: Gord Downie. Gord is apart of Canada's DNA.
    2005 - Toronto (9/15), Kitchener (9/11)
    2006 - Toronto (5/9)
    2008 - Eddie @ Massey Hall (8/12)
    2010 - Buffalo (5/10)
    2011 - Hamilton (9/15)
    2013 - London (7/16)
    2016 - Toronto (5/10)
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    PJ_Soul said:

MayDay10 said:

Couldn't remember if I had an account, it's been quite a few years. Went and checked and it turns out I do, my email has been junking The Hips emails for years.

Sorry to hear that the dates for shows aren't working out well for some of you. It is the summer, so the dates are bound to conflict with things. I head on vacation the day after the Calgary show, so it should work well for me.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

I'd like to see a comment from Eddie (or the band) re: Gord Downie. Gord is apart of Canada's DNA.

PJ has never had anything to do with The Hip as far as I've ever been able to tell. I don't think they've ever even played the same festival or anything. There is no evidence suggesting they've met Gord (maybe they have, but if so, it seems to me it would have just been in passing). So I definitely don't want or expect a comment from them about him being sick. That kind of thing should be reserved for their friends and colleagues. Otherwise it would be a completely hollow statement.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    PJ_Soul said:

OMG. The Tragically Hip have booked their Vancouver show for the same night when Pearl Jam is most likely playing Pemberton Fest. Seriously, the timing could not possibly be worse here. SMH. WTF do I do?!?!?! I guess Eddie isn't dying of a brain tumour, so I should choose the Hip??? This reminds me of that time when RNDM played Vancouver the same night as Bruce Springsteen... except this is 10 times worse.

You're ok, pemberton is July 14-17.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

PJ_Soul said:

OMG. The Tragically Hip have booked their Vancouver show for the same night when Pearl Jam is most likely playing Pemberton Fest. Seriously, the timing could not possibly be worse here. SMH. WTF do I do?!?!?! I guess Eddie isn't dying of a brain tumour, so I should choose the Hip??? This reminds me of that time when RNDM played Vancouver the same night as Bruce Springsteen... except this is 10 times worse.

SMH. Really?? I'm an idiot! :lol: Uh, never mind everyone. That's embarrassing. I thought that Pemby was at the end of my vacation in July (which is the weekend of the 24th). Obviously I was mistaken! Well yay. That's awesome, lol.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

SMH. Really?? I'm an idiot! :lol: Uh, never mind everyone. That's embarrassing. I thought that Pemby was at the end of my vacation in July (which is the weekend of the 24th). Obviously I was mistaken! Well yay. That's awesome, lol.
    Lol nothing to apologize for or be embarrassed about. Sorry for embarrassing you. Sprrt for the confusion. And sorry for the apologies. Damn Canadians.
    Glad you can make both :smile:
  • Options
    Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    Wow something happy happened in this thread, good job team! Lol
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852

do they even know who he is? I assumed maybe they'd heard of the band, but that might be about it. I could see him mentioning it the next time they play canada. he probably would have mentioned something at one of the shows recently had he known.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    chittychitty Posts: 596
    Fan club sale, would I have got an email already for it?
    I got the band email about the horrible news, but no presale info. I assume I'm not in fan club, just on mailing list?