Options

Sad news... Gord Downie has terminal brain cancer.

Comments

• Options
    NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 824
    I've done a bunch of blogging about the Hip, in case you feel like reading a bunch of self-indulgent bitching about crap setlists (and you're a Pearl Jam fan so you might!). Anyway, it's here if you're interested. I'm feeling the need to share memories today. Frig, this sucks.

https://snjohns.wordpress.com/category/music/the-tragically-hip/
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options
    coachchriscoachchris Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada Posts: 749
    edited May 2016
    These lyrics resonate with me in ways I can't begin to explain.

For a good life we just might have to weaken
    And find somewhere to go
    Go somewhere we're needed
    Find somewhere to grow
    Grow somewhere we're needed

Gord is a storyteller unlike any other and I'm proud he's Canadian.

Kurt hurt, Layne hurt, Scott hurt but it was all brought on by themselves. Getting the news on Gord this morning brought me to my knees. I hope I'm able to witness one more performance.

Fuck you cancer.

Edit* Just realized both of my signatures are from Gord.

Post edited by coachchris on
    Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
    Leaving is for the answering machine.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,630
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    kk277412kk277412 Posts: 45
    I've seen the hip 50+ and the last tour I complained so much about how they didn't switch the songs before and after fully! Well now i think we all can agree why now. Gord must have been having issues leading up to this. They alway switch the shows then of all of a sudden don't
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    edited May 2016
    Love the Hip but have always been drawn to Gord's solo work more since I first heard it. Got to see him solo a couple of years ago and the Hip last year. Hoping for once more.

Vancouver Divorce
    imageyoutu.be/dX1C_ZbzM-k
  • Options
    Buffalo will get a show maybe even a couple. They played ballroom on a two night run than art park for four
  • Options
    Buffalo will get a show maybe even a couple. They played ballroom on a two night run than art park for four
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,849
    NWOntario said:

I've done a bunch of blogging about the Hip, in case you feel like reading a bunch of self-indulgent bitching about crap setlists (and you're a Pearl Jam fan so you might!). Anyway, it's here if you're interested. I'm feeling the need to share memories today. Frig, this sucks.

you were at Live At The Bathouse?? JESUS. I just want to SEE it, I can't imagine being there.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Who knows? We don't know how many shows he has in him, how vibrant he is/will be, if there will be guests to shoulder the load, etc. "Tour" seems to indicate a decent run of shows, I would assume Buffalo will see one. I would think minimum would be Halifax, Montreal, Toronto, London or Hamilton, Buffalo, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Vancouver
  • Options
    they have said "Canada only" on this tour. so no Buffalo.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ah, I didnt catch a 'Canada only' part of a statement.

Either way, it shouldnt be a far trip
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Edit: Double post glitch
  • Options
    When did they say Canada only?
  • Options
    pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    All i know is that after seeing them with 30 people in a recording studio and with 40,000 plus at Edenfest and 20 plus venues in between - I WILL CRY MY EYES OUT when I see them this tour. Hell i'm crying typing this......
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options
    kk277412 said:

it was part of a press conference this morning.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pearljim said:

All i know is that after seeing them with 30 people in a recording studio and with 40,000 plus at Edenfest and 20 plus venues in between - I WILL CRY MY EYES OUT when I see them this tour. Hell i'm crying typing this......

when/for what did you see them in the studio? that's immeasurably cool.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Won a radio contest here in Michigan. Had to meet at a lot then walked to the studio about two blocks away. The Hip played most of Phantom Power. They'd play a few songs then take questions few more songs, questions.. Then afterwards they hung around and talked, signed autographs - very cool. I have followed these guys since 91 and they are top notch CLASS.
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options

NWOntario said:

you were at Live At The Bathouse?? JESUS. I just want to SEE it, I can't imagine being there.
    OH! nonononono--I saw it in theatres :) And me, too! Again, I mean.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options
    I also got to sing with him at The Filmore here in Detroit when he walked in between the stage and barrier he shared the mic with me during Blow at High Dough :)

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options
    pearljim said:

Won a radio contest here in Michigan. Had to meet at a lot then walked to the studio about two blocks away. The Hip played most of Phantom Power. They'd play a few songs then take questions few more songs, questions.. Then afterwards they hung around and talked, signed autographs - very cool. I have followed these guys since 91 and they are top notch CLASS.

unbelievable. that's awesome.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    NWOntario said:

NWOntario said:

OH! nonononono--I saw it in theatres :) And me, too! Again, I mean.
    I wonder if it's somewhere on George Strombo's website.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,652
    i really hope we get one last Canada Day blow out bash with Gord, where we invite everyone in Toronto to Downsview park to say goodbye.... no tickets, no limits on the number of people, send in the CBC to televise it for anyone who can't be there, just Canada and Gord and the boys...

seems like a fitting last show. i don't even know if i could make it through it...

it will break me, but it's how we all need to show him how much he means to us all...

the band's music is the soundtrack to my life... even though i've only gotten to see them 10 or 12 times, and it was only later in their career...

broken hearted... his poor family... this is not fair...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    WWSWWS Ontario Posts: 458
    One of my earliest shows, I saw them in a bar in 1989 and almost every tour since. This is a tough one...I don't know if I can see the farewell tour. Held back tears a couple of times today thinking about how many good time have been had over the last 25-30 years with the Hip either in the background or as background cottage music. Brutal
    '93 Toronto, '98 Barrie, '00 Toronto, '03 Buffalo, '05 Hamilton, '06 Toronto 1&2 '09 Toronto, '09 Philly #4, '11 Hamilton, '13 London, '13 Wrigley,    '13 Buffalo, '14 Detroit Rock City,'16 Ottawa, '16 Toronto 1&2, '16 Fenway '18 Wrigley 1&2, '20 Baltimore. '22 Hamilton, '24 Wrigley 1&2
  • Options
    shep said:

i really hope we get one last Canada Day blow out bash with Gord, where we invite everyone in Toronto to Downsview park to say goodbye.... no tickets, no limits on the number of people, send in the CBC to televise it for anyone who can't be there, just Canada and Gord and the boys...

seems like a fitting last show. i don't even know if i could make it through it...

it will break me, but it's how we all need to show him how much he means to us all...

the band's music is the soundtrack to my life... even though i've only gotten to see them 10 or 12 times, and it was only later in their career...

Think I'll be avoiding "the last show." Because it'll break me, too. I'm not sure if you saw video from Spirit of the West's last show--their singer has Alzheimer's and can't remember the words to his own songs--but if you find them...yeah. It's really, really tough.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,630
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    kk277412 said:

found evidence

hopefully they just forgot that Buffalo isnt in Canada
  • Options
    IgotshitIDIgotshitID St.john's Newfoundland Posts: 895
    Fucking sad, one of the best of all time
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
  • Options
    CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414
    Any dates leaked for the tour?
    Or I could wait a day...
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,652
    NWOntario said:

shep said:

Think I'll be avoiding "the last show." Because it'll break me, too. I'm not sure if you saw video from Spirit of the West's last show--their singer has Alzheimer's and can't remember the words to his own songs--but if you find them...yeah. It's really, really tough.
    i hear ya... but I think if they want to go our and tour one last time, I have to think its because they want us to come celebrate the band and Gord and the music, and experience that music connection with their fans at least one last time...

it won't be easy, but we all owe that man one hell of a fucking party for all the joy he's put in my life at least... i have to go help them celebrate... i'll spend the rest of my life kicking myself if i don't...

and i was actually at the last show they played up until this news dropped... october in houston... and it was as amazing as ever... long time running to close almost seems eerie now...

i need a drink... work needs to end...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Man….first thing I read this morning. Not a good way to wake up the first workday after May long…
    There was a long period that I stopped listening to the hip…late 90’s until probably 5 years ago. I didn’t connect with TATHH, and they had become SO over-saturated….I listened to the radio all day at work, and practically lived in bars (early 20’s, working evening shift – nowhere else to go at the end of a 2:30-11 workday)….between coverbands, bar dj’s/jukes, and the radio, the Hip were EVERYWHERE. I just couldn’t handle hearing another shitty cover of New Orleans is sinking. After a few years I dove back into their catalogue, and was surprised to feel that TATHH sounded better than it did (to me) when it was released. I still include them on nearly any playlist I create – they have a song for pretty much every mood (and I have a memory for nearly every song). Their run from UTH to TATHH can hold up against any run by any great band/artist in history, IMHO. There is no more universally loved song in Canadian history than Wheat Kings. The singalong for that song at their shows is something to behold.

Im thankful Gord has chosen to share some of his invaluable time with his fans. Hope they make this a stadium tour, or outdoor shows. Would be a real shame to have fans scrambling for tickets and paying outrageous $ to say goodbye to an old friend. I don’t think they would have any issues filling stadiums on this tour.
    Thoughts are with Gord and those close to him.