Options

Sad news... Gord Downie has terminal brain cancer.

Comments

• Options
    kk277412kk277412 Posts: 45
    Sky dome for the last show? Fill all seats and infield
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    MayDay10 said:

kk277412 said:

When did they say Canada only?

found evidence

hopefully they just forgot that Buffalo isnt in Canada
    I mean, dude, we're basically in Canada.
  • Options
    Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    What is it going to be like at the last show of the tour? When was the last time there was a concert and everyone knew it'd be the frontman's last concert and then he dies after? I'm not ready for that. I'm also not ready to listen to "Long Time Running" yet.
  • Options
    And what'll it feel like walking out of the concert? Or whichever one you go to?
    And what would it feel like to be one of the band members trying to judge when to go to bed after they drink or play cards each night on tour knowing they've only got 10, 5, 2, 1 night together until the tour ends.
    It's sensational but not in a good way. Whatsoever
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103

And what'll it feel like walking out of the concert? Or whichever one you go to?
    And what would it feel like to be one of the band members trying to judge when to go to bed after they drink or play cards each night on tour knowing they've only got 10, 5, 2, 1 night together until the tour ends.
    It's sensational but not in a good way. Whatsoever

Damn. It's so much to take in as a fan. I can't imagine being a part of that circle and going through this.
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,344
    This is very sad news for his family and friends..... fans too. I am interested in getting tickets to a show this summer..... considering some earlier posts here - what would the mood be like leaving the show? They put on a great show at the Molson Amphitheatre in 2015. Incomprehensible sad news.
  • Options
    For the folks talking of not going... come on, man.

I'm pretty sure empty arenas isn't exactly paying respects to a Canadian rock icon who's given us music that has been awesome.

Go to the show. Enjoy it. And wen you leave the show... be grateful to have been there for the entire ride... and be emotional if emotions move you.

These guys did it right and they did it very well. A top tier band with some top tier songs. I don't go into the 'lyrics' thread too often, but when I do... I post their un-freaking-real lyrics.

Nautical Disaster. F**king Nautical Disaster. Wow.

Gord has made my life better with his awesomeness.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I can't think of a better way to say goodbye than to rock out, raise a glass, ya maybe shed a few tears...but no one will be alone in that.. Could even be cathartic.
    Finally getting a chance to listen to some Hip...this sucks

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    I'm going to a show for sure.
  • Options
    iammine16iammine16 Vancouver, BC Posts: 806
    edited May 2016
    Absolutely shattered by the news. Seeing Fully Completely in it's entirety last year in Vancouver is still one of the best shows I have seen. It will be hard to see them one last time...but it will also be a celebration. I will be there at one of the shows for sure!
    Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,761
    Major bummer. One of Canada's finest. Best wishes to Gord and the band.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,488
    Tour dates are suppose to be announced this morning some time
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    In a lot of ways, it is awesome though. The emotions in those buildings are going to be strong and raw. The band and the fans are going to go all out in appreciating one another as well as this man.
    I cant believe the dedication and courage to want to go ahead with a tour. Its insane and and something beyond comparison.

• Options
    dfm74dfm74 Posts: 11
    edited May 2016
    Not sure how complete or reliable this is but it makes sense to wind up in Kingston.

http://www.songkick.com/artists/401543-tragically-hip/calendar

Friday 22 July 2016
    The Tragically Hip
    Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre, Victoria, BC, Canada

Sunday 24 July 2016
    The Tragically Hip
    Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC, Canada

Thursday 28 July 2016
    The Tragically Hip
    Rexall Place, Edmonton, AB, Canada

Monday 01 August 2016
    The Tragically Hip
    Scotiabank Saddledome, Calgary, AB, Canada

Friday 05 August 2016
    The Tragically Hip
    MTS Centre, Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Monday 08 August 2016
    The Tragically Hip
    Budweiser Gardens, London, ON, Canada

Wednesday 10 August 2016
    The Tragically Hip
    Air Canada Centre, Toronto, ON, Canada

Friday 12 August 2016
    The Tragically Hip
    Air Canada Centre, Toronto, ON, Canada

Tuesday 16 August 2016
    The Tragically Hip
    FirstOntario Centre, Hamilton, ON, Canada

Thursday 18 August 2016
    The Tragically Hip
    Canadian Tire Centre, Ottawa, ON, Canada

Saturday 20 August 2016
    The Tragically Hip
    K-Rock Centre, Kingston, ON, Canada
    Post edited by dfm74 on
  • Options
    awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    The Tragically Hip – Man Machine Poem Tour
    Friday, July 22 Victoria, BC Save On Foods Memorial Centre
    Sunday, July 24 Vancouver, BC Pepsi Live at Rogers Arena
    Thursday, July 28 Edmonton, AB Rexall Place
    Monday, August 1 Calgary, AB Scotiabank Saddledome
    Friday, August 5 Winnipeg, MB MTS Centre
    Monday, August 8 London, ON Budweiser Gardens
    Wednesday, August 10 Toronto, ON Air Canada Centre
    Friday, August 12 Toronto, ON Air Canada Centre
    Tuesday, August 16 Hamilton, ON FirstOntario Centre
    Thursday, August 18 Ottawa, ON Canadian Tire Centre
    Saturday, August 20 Kingston, ON Rogers K-Rock Centre
  • Options
    Wow those dates work for me. Anyone know when the on sale date is?
  • Options
    presale monday, general friday (3rd)
  • Options
    Drew89Drew89 Posts: 7
    NO!!!!! I was planning on going down to Wrigley field to see Pearl Jam on my birthday. The Hip just announce their last show is on the same day in Kingston...I don't think I can miss that one.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,848
    I saw the Headstones at the K Rock. that place would go bananas, last Hip show, ever, in their hometown. and it's not that big of a place. those tickets are going to be impossible to get.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Friday night show in Winnipeg. Holy shit. I wonder why no Sask shows? although nearly 5 day layoff between Alberta and Winnipeg.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

For the folks talking of not going... come on, man.

I'm pretty sure empty arenas isn't exactly paying respects to a Canadian rock icon who's given us music that has been awesome.

Go to the show. Enjoy it. And wen you leave the show... be grateful to have been there for the entire ride... and be emotional if emotions move you.

These guys did it right and they did it very well. A top tier band with some top tier songs. I don't go into the 'lyrics' thread too often, but when I do... I post their un-freaking-real lyrics.

Nautical Disaster. F**king Nautical Disaster. Wow.

Gord has made my life better with his awesomeness.

there won't be an empty seat. a few people not wanting to attend won't do anything to those numbers. I sort of get it. it would be almost like going to a funeral. I still think they'll regret it, maybe not, but I sort of get it.

I'm nervous already just THINKING about ticket sales.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    This pretty much sums up the Hip for me... grew up with them:

"The teenager stood with his friends, watching the singer and the band from the other side of the arena. “Thank you,” the singer said as they walked offstage. “We are never going away.”

Stability, the teenager thought. In a time when it felt like his world balanced on a pin, the stability was comforting. And so they, teenager and band, stayed together for years.

“Just one more show,” the teenager told himself and those around him, though no one believed him. He was attached. He would see them at every gig he could. He would turn new friends onto them, or try to as they feigned interest.

Some people said the band's lyrics told the story of a still-young country trying to forge a creative identity – well, the teenager said that – and he swallowed every lyric whole. For every pivotal event in the teenager's life, be it his first loss, first fuck, first joint, first heartbreak, this band had a song for it. If you were to create a road map through the teenager's soul, these lyrics would be the language that would show you the way.

And he wasn’t alone. Good bands make songs you can sing along to. Great bands create their own language to be shared.

The band's songs grew from something that at first you didn’t understand into vast, incredible works of art that warranted study. Even more importantly, their songs made the teenager want to understand everything about the places the singer sang about.

The teenager saw the band in concert almost 40 times. He shouted along to every lyric. He jumped up and down in a fit of unrestrained jubilation. He got blackout drunk, probably also because of the unrestrained jubilation. Eventually, as an adult, he would watch with trepidation when he took his wife to her first show, hoping she'd want to be a part of it.

And as he sang along, he loved every second of it all. Because every band, every artist has a time, a place and a mood. At all of those 40-odd shows, he remembers only one emotion: love. Love of the songs and love of the people he shared those songs with.

He’d grow older and realize that stability would never come to his life. But at the end of the day, at the end of any day, there was the band. When he needed to love, he sang the band’s songs to himself. He wrote a book about the band. All he really wanted was that book to be a tangible gift, a “thank you” to them for everything they’d done for him.

For the teenager inside him, and for the teenager inside every one of us, he believed the singer would never really go away."

AND NOW THIS IS MY PLAN IF I CAN GET TICKETS:

""Sing with Downie with every ounce of energy you have. It's what he does for us with every show. Sing loud, sing with your friends and sing to give Downie and his family strength during this terrible time. Thank him, if you need to."

Peace.Love.Music.Always.
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,650
    my wife is due 2nd week of september...

she is already fighting with me because i want to travel to one of longest friend's wedding in St. John's the first weekend in August...

the only date that want to attend is August the 12th in toronto... i could go to the west coast, but it's not a hip show without all my friends...i would be by myself out there...

i don't know what i'm gonna do... start another fight i can't win... or regret missing out on giving Gord a proper send off...

this sucks in so many ways... I was really hoping for July on the east coast... and I feel guilty for even voicing this opinion as it's just me being greedy...

the news just keeps getting worse... :(

i was listening to Scared this morning on the way to work and almost broke out in tears... too many powerful lyrics... long time running will be too much...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    kk277412kk277412 Posts: 45
    See everyone in Kingston!
  • Options
    Ill be at either one of the Toronto shows or Hamilton. Hopefully
  • Options
    CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414
    I'm a little surprised there aren't any QC shows. But 12 dates might be all he can handle now.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,629
    OMG. The Tragically Hip have booked their Vancouver show for the same night when Pearl Jam is most likely playing Pemberton Fest. Seriously, the timing could not possibly be worse here. SMH. WTF do I do?!?!?! I guess Eddie isn't dying of a brain tumour, so I should choose the Hip??? This reminds me of that time when RNDM played Vancouver the same night as Bruce Springsteen... except this is 10 times worse.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    i can't stop crying over this...thinking this will be the last time i will see gord lead his band. gord is a canadian treasure. we all lose, whether you are a fan or not. there was never a better poet(imo). his clever lyrics is always what i loved about him the most. a brilliant mind and someone who cared deeply about the environment. met him a couple of times throughout the years. always articulate and kind. his solo tour was something i will never forget.

my very best wishes go to him and his family and the band and it's management

i seen a few artists play shows and then pass away....but no one announced beforehand that this would be it. ie) prince, and bowie

it's gonna be a really REALLY tough time to go to the show but there is also no way could i not be there, especially as this is gord's idea. i will be there for him. singing my loudest and crying the whole time.

not that it matters but I stopped counting the number of Hip shows when I got to 50. that was over 5 years ago.
  • Options
    DukeSpiritDukeSpirit Posts: 278
    MayDay10 said:

Is there a presale through their website? I haven't seen any info on pre-sales
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,629

MayDay10 said:

Is there a presale through their website? I haven't seen any info on pre-sales
    Yes, pre-sales on May 30th, but only for registered fans. Didn't say anything about whether or not there is a cut off date for registration (But I certainly hope that it would only apply to those who were registered before today).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata