*** Ottawa, ON Fanviews Here 5/8/16 ***

Comments

• FlyingwFlyingw Brantford Posts: 443
    Aug 18/93 Toronto, May 9/06 Toronto, Sept 11/11 Toronto, Sept 15/11 Hamilton,
    July 16/13 London, Oct 12/13 Buffalo, Oct 17/14 Detroit,
    April 8/16, Ft. Lauderdale, April 9/16 Miami, May 8/16 Ottawa, May 10/16 Toronto
    May 11/16 Toronto, Aug 20/16 Wrigley, Aug 22/16 Wrigley, TOTD Nov 5/16 Philly
  • FlyingwFlyingw Brantford Posts: 443
    SheDreamsInColour and I are part of the story. Pearl Jam fans are the best! Such a terrific community. Can't wait for Toronto.
    Aug 18/93 Toronto, May 9/06 Toronto, Sept 11/11 Toronto, Sept 15/11 Hamilton,
    July 16/13 London, Oct 12/13 Buffalo, Oct 17/14 Detroit,
    April 8/16, Ft. Lauderdale, April 9/16 Miami, May 8/16 Ottawa, May 10/16 Toronto
    May 11/16 Toronto, Aug 20/16 Wrigley, Aug 22/16 Wrigley, TOTD Nov 5/16 Philly
  • lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,733
    edited May 2016
    Longueuil said:

I heard Fatal was played at sound check - did anyone get to hear sound check??

Speed of Sound, Fatal, Green Disease, Setting Forth, I Am Mine, Big Wave, Love Reign O'er Me
    Would've loved to hear Fatal!!!
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• It was a great night, for sure. Seeing people we'd met at previous shows, and getting to hear some rare songs was a definite bonus. Having part of "our story" shared is a really special memory as well; many people don't understand how PJ fans stick together, and how a mutual love of this band can turn strangers into friends, and friends into soulmates.

Can't wait for the next two shows!
    "If there was a reason, it was you."

May 9, 2006 - Toronto, ON :: May 10, 2006 - Toronto, ON :: May 10, 2010 - Buffalo, NY :: September 11, 2011 - Toronto, ON :: September 15, 2011 - Hamilton, ON :: April 8, 2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, FL :: April 9, 2016 - Miami, FL :: May 8, 2016 - Ottawa, ON :: May 10, 2016 - Toronto, ON :: May 11, 2016 - Toronto, ON :: August 20, 2016 - Chicago, IL :: August 22, 2016 - Chicago, IL :: July 10, 2018 - Barcelona, ES :: August 8, 2018 - Seattle, WA:: August 10, 2018 - Seattle, WA ::

The best is yet to come:
    March 18, 2020 - Toronto, ON :: March 24, 2020 - Hamilton, ON
  • ajflickerajflicker Canada Posts: 166

Experienced my first PJ show last night after being a fan for the past 6 years. It was an amazing experience that went above and beyond my expectations. My 526xxx 10C number scored me floor section C, row 2, seats 3 & 4 behind the GA pit, which ended up being awesome. Hoping to make it to another show in the near future.

My 10c #535xxx got me Sec A, Row 4 on the floor. My wife was disappointed cause it was her first PJ show and is too short to see on floor. Luckily we met up with an awesome PJ fan who had sec 118 10c seats and was willing to trade for my floors. My wife was able to see it all and rock out. Thanks to John for the trade. Made the night more special. PJ fans are the best.
  • BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    I thought I would let it sink in for 24 hours before posting my review. Here goes:

This was the most disappointed I have been at a PJ show in a long time. Aside from the great seats I had and the beauty of finally seeing a backdrop due to Ottawa not being able to sell out the whole arena (AGAIN!), the show was flat to me.

The set list was basically a greatest hits show (save for Daughter and RVM) and the main set was about as boring as I have seen since maybe Toronto 2005? Big Wave tried to make things interesting at the end, but it was too little, too late for me.

The first encore finally offered a few nice tunes with Bee Girl, Speed of Sound and Parachutes but the mix of those 3 wasn't great as they are all so slow that it sucked the life out of the building.

The second encore was typical and boring. They need to give Black a little bit of a rest.

A big part of this poor review is due to my expectations for this show, and I am well aware of that. I was at the first 3 shows of this tour, which all blew me away. Add to that the great set in Quebec City and the fact that Ottawa has had two amazing shows in a row and I thought this might be the show of the tour.

The good news: this can only be good for Toronto. I am really looking forward to the last two shows of the tour at the ACC!!!!
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • bobby dazzlersbobby dazzlers Posts: 1,989
    I'm with BeerBaron here a little bit....just in regards to the crowd being flat...it was looking like EV was wanting the crowd to be jumping during MYM especially the GA. His body language gave me the impression of disappointment.
    But the later sing alongs might very made up for it...though he did have to coax some of it out of the crowd.
    I enjoyed myself nonetheless. Good times.
    And did it not sound like they were playing Bad by U2 instead of All I Want is You? That's what I heard at the beginning anyways.
    Oh and thanks to the guy in the TSN box for the unexpected gifts!!
    It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe
  • Just got home from Ottawa after a 14hr drive back.
    Great show, great seats - thanks 10c!

Seems they are really enjoying themselves on stage now. EV seems more relaxed and gives it when really needed. Blood was one of the best versions I have ever heard.
    Crowd seemed a little quiet but I think it's because like me I don't know whether to jump or just stand in awe and appreciate what I am seeing/hearing.
    The crowd wasn't rowdy but I thought it seemed it was a show to just sit and enjoy.
    Blood was amazing -
  • pl190092pl190092 Ottawa, ON Posts: 12
    Show was great. I was disappointed in my 10c seats and reading other posts I can see that people with higher 500 000 10c numbers than me had much better seats than me... so much for seniority-based assignment of seats. I can now call B****t on that!!! LOL!!!

The crowd was on fire! 2nd loudest of my 7 shows - Montreal 2003 has that honor. Highlights for me were LBC, the "new" Corduroy, Deep and Immortality and the sing-alongs. Crowd sang really loud. Can't wait for the boot.

That first encore was the biggest letdown for me. They had just gone through an absolutely blistering first set and came back with 4 consecutive slow songs that, though not bad songs, kind of brought the show to a screeching stop! At least if they had been slow songs like Hard to Imagine or Just Breathe, Footsteps, or even Off He Goes. They went with little known, newer, slow songs that the crowd couldn't sing to... took the wind out of the show's sails. (I don't like Sirens very much!!!)

I love F***n Up but I don't like it as a show closer. When I saw that they dropped Crazy Mary AND possibly Indifference at the end I was like : "Ah Man!!!".

BUT HOLY CRAP WHAT A FIRST SET!!!!
    pl190092 said:

Show was great. I was disappointed in my 10c seats and reading other posts I can see that people with higher 500 000 10c numbers than me had much better seats than me... so much for seniority-based assignment of seats. I can now call B****t on that!!! LOL!!!

The crowd was on fire! 2nd loudest of my 7 shows - Montreal 2003 has that honor. Highlights for me were LBC, the "new" Corduroy, Deep and Immortality and the sing-alongs. Crowd sang really loud. Can't wait for the boot.

That first encore was the biggest letdown for me. They had just gone through an absolutely blistering first set and came back with 4 consecutive slow songs that, though not bad songs, kind of brought the show to a screeching stop! At least if they had been slow songs like Hard to Imagine or Just Breathe, Footsteps, or even Off He Goes. They went with little known, newer, slow songs that the crowd couldn't sing to... took the wind out of the show's sails. (I don't like Sirens very much!!!)

I love F***n Up but I don't like it as a show closer. When I saw that they dropped Crazy Mary AND possibly Indifference at the end I was like : "Ah Man!!!".

BUT HOLY CRAP WHAT A FIRST SET!!!!

Where were your 10c seats and whats your#?
  • PearlJamVSPearlJamVS Eastern Ontario Posts: 62
    My outstretched arm before Mike let me strum his guitar... (thanks to my rail buddy for the pic!)

Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight,
    I am fuel, you are friends, we got the means to make amends
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side
    I am right by your side.

Ottawa 2011
    London 2013
    Ottawa 2016
    Boston 1 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Had a great time in Ottawa! Been to enough shows now (8) that it’s almost as much for the community of Pearl Jam fans as for the show. People from all over coming together to celebrate, that’s what it’s all about.

Went to the Pearl Jam party the night before at the Earl of Sussex. Forgot your name, but thanks to the guy who organized it and to the bar. PJ20 was on a screen outside and all the people out there had a great sing-along about midnight. The waitress was a little annoyed with someone getting on top of a table to sing but oh well. Met some great folks. RJ with ten tattoos, one representing each album, great to meet you! Good luck with your band!

Laugh of the weekend, at some bar the waitress asks why we are in town. “We’re going to the Pearl Jam show”. She says: “Oh yeah, great! My parents are going!”. Oh boy, felt a little old there, lol.

At the show, had awesome seats, section 108 side stage by Mike. He knew someone near us, was pointing at them and then to the rest of us a few times. Threw a bunch of picks but missed us by a row or two. The people around us were friendly and I always love to celebrate with people when they get “their” song. Guy behind us when Immortality started.. “thank you! this is my favorite song!”… high fives all around.

I got six songs I hadn’t heard live before: Deep, Love Boat Captain, Parachutes, Speed of Sound, Love Reign, and Big Wave.

Highlights were many! Lightning Bolt opener was great. I have guessed wrong on the opener every show this tour, I like that unpredictability. Save You, love it. Riot Act is my favorite album right now. Then we got LBC and I am Mine later. Too bad Green Disease was crossed off.

Ed introduced Jon Krakauer by asking Kille to put the spot on him, then played Setting Forth. Immortality was killer, then I thought Big Wave was really good live.

Encore 1 brought Bee Girl for Mother’s Day. We had been guessing what Ed would choose for Mother’s Day, never guessed that. Speed of Sound sounded excellent and then Parachutes was a big highlight. I just happened to learn to play Parachutes on guitar last month. My brother and I sang every word.

Have wanted to hear Love Reign O’er Me live for a while. I thought it was about perfect. Blood to close the first encore was special…really cool with the red lights.

Second encore was okay. We were hoping they would squeeze one more in between Black and Alive, but oh well. Fuckin’ Up was a great closer.

Sold two extra tickets I had to another ten clubber. He was nice enough to get me a poster. Thanks Ben!

Can’t wait for Wrigley!

They weren't bad seats just not as close as I had hoped... 119 (far corner from the stage, Boom side) My number is 530XXX and I read up higher someone had 535XXX and had seated floor row A... and someone else said high 500 000 and had the same type of floor seats...

• ally12ally12 Ottawa Posts: 68
    pl190092 said:

They weren't bad seats just not as close as I had hoped... 119 (far corner from the stage, Boom side) My number is 530XXX and I read up higher someone had 535XXX and had seated floor row A... and someone else said high 500 000 and had the same type of floor seats...

Yeah that was me! Sucks for others, I don't know why they say seniority plays a factor. Everyone who has much more seniority than me got really bad seats
    2011: PJ20- Ottawa, Canada
    2016: PJ25- Ottawa, Canada
    2020: Ottawa, Canada, QC City 
  • ally12ally12 Ottawa Posts: 68

I'm with BeerBaron here a little bit....just in regards to the crowd being flat...it was looking like EV was wanting the crowd to be jumping during MYM especially the GA. His body language gave me the impression of disappointment.
    But the later sing alongs might very made up for it...though he did have to coax some of it out of the crowd.
    I enjoyed myself nonetheless. Good times.
    And did it not sound like they were playing Bad by U2 instead of All I Want is You? That's what I heard at the beginning anyways.
    Oh and thanks to the guy in the TSN box for the unexpected gifts!!

I was jumping during MYM, but GA wasn't really moving as I thought it would be.
    2011: PJ20- Ottawa, Canada
    2016: PJ25- Ottawa, Canada
    2020: Ottawa, Canada, QC City 
    edited May 2016
    ally12 said:

pl190092 said:

I was the #535xxx. The Sec A, Row 4 seats were good for floors but my wife is so short she couldn't see over the GA pit. Luckily we found someone on the forums here to trade with. We traded for his 10c section 118 row P. He said his # was 524xxx. He couldn't believe we wanted to trade further back.
    Post edited by ajflicker on
    ajflicker said:

ally12 said:

pl190092 said:

I was the #535xxx. The Sec A, Row 4 seats were good for floors but my wife is so short she couldn't see over the GA pit. Luckily we found someone on the forums here to trade with. We traded for his 10c section 118 row P. He said his # was 524xxx. He couldn't believe we wanted to trade further back.
    ajflicker said:

ally12 said:

pl190092 said:

My buddy was in 118 row R and he was 10c too... with a lower number than me but his seats were comparable to mine. I would have loved those Floor seats!! Good for you guys that got them... except for your wife!!! I'm glad you could change though!
    edited May 2016
    pl190092 said:

ajflicker said:

ally12 said:

pl190092 said:

ajflicker said:

ally12 said:

pl190092 said:

My buddy was in 118 row R and he was 10c too... with a lower number than me but his seats were comparable to mine. I would have loved those Floor seats!! Good for you guys that got them... except for your wife!!! I'm glad you could change though!
    Ya we were lucky we got a trade an hour before the show. Considering I rejoined 10c in Jan after a 8 year lapse the 4th row floor seats weren't the worst I have had.
    Post edited by ajflicker on
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    edited May 2016
    ally12 said:

Yeah that was me! Sucks for others, I don't know why they say seniority plays a factor. Everyone who has much more seniority than me got really bad seats

From where I was seniority worked pretty good. My number is in the 137,000's and I was in section 115 row C. Basically the section right next to the stage on Stone's side without being behind it. The only time I had better seats was in 2011 in Ottawa, when they did the lottery and I got first row.
    Post edited by Kel Varnsen on
  • loved this show. Did not love waiting for hours outside not knowing which lineup was right. I missed out on all merchandise, and The PJ Sens jersey was born for me to wear. I didn't get one at the show and I don't think I can afford the $300 theyre asking for now on Ebay
  • When that stupid dipshit yelled "I love you Eddie" while he was talking to us did anyone else feel a little awkward at the comments he tried to shut the fan up with when he called him out?
    I wasn't expecting that and I think EV was surprised those words came out. He stopped talking to that idiot right away after that because enough attention was already given to the shithead who just wanted to be heard on the boots.
    Guys, stop yelling I love you Eddie, it is embarrassing.
  • PJForceofNaturePJForceofNature Posts: 3,087
    I thought it was awful, and he was sitting right next to me, unfortunately. Glad that Eddie stopped talking to him rather quickly. He left so many times during the show that he might as well not have been there at all.
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    First set was awesome.
    First encore... Bee girl was cute for mother's day but Speed Of Sound followed by Parachutes and Sirens was a good sleeping combo!
    Except that it was right my cup of tea and I had a blast.
  • iammine16iammine16 Vancouver, BC Posts: 772

I thought it was awful, and he was sitting right next to me, unfortunately. Glad that Eddie stopped talking to him rather quickly. He left so many times during the show that he might as well not have been there at all.

I was next to his girlfriend...they drove me nuts all show. They must have left and come back a dozen times

Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018
  • PJForceofNaturePJForceofNature Posts: 3,087
    Yes, they were driving me nuts too. Why even bother going to a show if you're going to get up and leave and come back a dozen times? By the way, I think I was standing next to you at times when they left! :)
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited May 2016
    ^^^
    Idiots like that ruin the show.
    A grown man shouting "I Love You Eddie"

Really?
    Shut up.
  • odiedragonodiedragon Arena, WI Posts: 206
    CopperTom said:

Can someone post the pic of the set list?

A little closer to accurate than the official picture. From Mr. McMelty himself. :heart:
    "So now, I drink wine." - Milwaukee, WI 10/20/14
    "How fortunate were we that we were born in Chicago..." - Rosemont, IL 5/14/15
    "The irony is that maybe someday they'll find exactly that... maybe that's a good thing." - Rosemont, IL 5/15/15
    "[Unthought Known] wasn't the *worst* thing I'd ever done..." Central Park, NYC 9/26/15
    "Cómo se dice 'really high'?" - Mexico City, DF 11/28/15
  • odiedragonodiedragon Arena, WI Posts: 206
    All the bitching on this thread makes me sad. This was my favorite (even if not "best") show out of the four Canada shows we attended. But then again I love Parachutes and Sirens sooooo.... :heart::rock_on:
    "So now, I drink wine." - Milwaukee, WI 10/20/14
    "How fortunate were we that we were born in Chicago..." - Rosemont, IL 5/14/15
    "The irony is that maybe someday they'll find exactly that... maybe that's a good thing." - Rosemont, IL 5/15/15
    "[Unthought Known] wasn't the *worst* thing I'd ever done..." Central Park, NYC 9/26/15
    "Cómo se dice 'really high'?" - Mexico City, DF 11/28/15

All the bitching on this thread makes me sad. This was my favorite (even if not "best") show out of the four Canada shows we attended. But then again I love Parachutes and Sirens sooooo.... :heart::rock_on:

Saw Pearl Jam 4 times and the Ottawa show was my favourite too.
  • Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    Too bad they didnt do Indifference. And if I recall correctly some of the guys were getting ready for it but called it off last minute and went off