Options

London support?

Comments

• Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    The Jake and Pete comedy hour would be fairly amusing.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    I doubt the Arctic Monkeys have anything nice to say about Pearl Jam. Their Daddy NME would smack their bottoms.
    come on give them a break

their album is actually good, and they always come across very well in interviews
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • Options
    I think we can safely assume it's not going to be Arctic Monkeys. A band who are playing a headlining slot at Glastonbury and 2 of their own stadium shows a month later would have very little gain by supporting PJ, a band they have zero in common with, at an arena show.

I think Arctic Monkeys are great but I wouldn't want to see them opening for Pearl Jam.
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    I think we can safely assume it's not going to be Arctic Monkeys. A band who are playing a headlining slot at Glastonbury and 2 of their own stadium shows a month later would have very little gain by supporting PJ, a band they have zero in common with, at an arena show.

I think Arctic Monkeys are great but I wouldn't want to see them opening for Pearl Jam.
    I'm pretty sure he said they were not headlining at Glastonbury...and what Stadium shows? the Lancaster CCC you mean?..is that really stadium size? doubt it.
    not that I think they'll open for PJ either.
  • Options
    duggro wrote:
    come on give them a break

their album is actually good, and they always come across very well in interviews

If you'll notice, my comment was not so much an attack on Arctic Monkeys as it was on NME.

And it's based on a truism: in my experience, this magazine - and the vast majority of bands associated with it - badmouth PJ constantly. The whole British Indie scene right now is pretentious and arrogant, and refuses to recognise anything great came before it (except maybe The Smiths *yawn*).

I haven't got time for it. All that said, I've nothing against the Arctic Monkeys personally. I'd rather have them at my party than Pete Docherty, given a choice.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    If you'll notice, my comment was not so much an attack on Arctic Monkeys as it was on NME.

And it's based on a truism: in my experience, this magazine - and the vast majority of bands associated with it - badmouth PJ constantly. The whole British scene right now is pretentious and arrogant, and refuses to recognise anything great came before it (except maybe The Smiths *yawn*).

I haven't got time for it. All that said, I've nothing against the Arctic Monkeys personally. I'd rather have them at my party than Pete Docherty, given a choice.
    *BANG* Thats you hitting the nail on the head :D
    Did you read the review of Pj at Reading last year by NME? I was ready to fucking kill someone, not because they gave a negative review, if someone doesn't dig the band then thats their opinion (theyre wrong but I won't go into that :D:p) but the review was just an attack on the band and the review of the album was even more slanted. I hate NME passionately, its filled with pretentious idiots.
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    I'm pretty sure he said they were not headlining at Glastonbury...and what Stadium shows? the Lancaster CCC you mean?..is that really stadium size? doubt it.
    not that I think they'll open for PJ either.

Oh, I read on another site they were one of the headliners....it could be wrong of course but I'm sure they're playing high on the bill.

The Lancashire County Cricket Club shows have a capacity of 50,000 each, according to the venues official website.......I'd call that a stadium sized show :)
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • Options
    Oh, I read on another site they were one of the headliners....it could be wrong of course but I'm sure they're playing high on the bill.

The Lancashire County Cricket Club shows have a capacity of 50,000 each, according to the venues official website.......I'd call that a stadium sized show :)

I saw REM there back in 2005, and the REM site and the CCC site said there were 55,000 people there. Definitely stadium size!
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    some kind of articmonkey fest or summet.

i think they are ok, but i wouldn't go nuts over them like everyone in yorkshire has (well the uk), its all sensationalism, when my ancient, stuck up prick of a boss at work talks about them and the kaiser chiefs it all loses credability for me.

it was sweet at our managers meeting last year pre leeds festival (i'm a manager who works at a certain supermarket that provides service to the festival goers) and when they asked who's on, they all when nuts for the arctic monkeys and kooks but when i said, PJ are hedlining, they were like..................'who?', i had never more loved PJ at that moment in time

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,892
    I saw REM there back in 2005, and the REM site and the CCC site said there were 55,000 people there. Definitely stadium size!

Yep, I saw REM at CCC. And David Bowie too.

Would be sweet to see Pearl Jam there. With Arcade Fire supporting!
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    I'd like to see Pearl Jam give a new band with potential some exposure
    .. so my vote goes to People In Planes
    .. now back in the UK after touring the States

http://www.myspace.com/peopleinplanes

:cool:
    ♥ ♪ ♪
  • Options
    I'd like to see Pearl Jam give a new band with potential some exposure
    .. so my vote goes to People In Planes
    .. now back in the UK after touring the States

http://www.myspace.com/peopleinplanes

:cool:

People In Planes are terribly dull live though. I saw them opening for Biffy Clyro a few years ago and it seemed like they were just tuning up for the whole of their half hour set :(

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • Options
    People In Planes are terribly dull live though. I saw them opening for Biffy Clyro a few years ago and it seemed like they were just tuning up for the whole of their half hour set :(
    Perhaps they were having a bad night;)
    I saw them supporting Oceansize a while ago and actually prefered People in Planes :D They seemed to be enjoying themselves and I felt they had something.
    ♥ ♪ ♪
  • Options
    Perhaps they were having a bad night;)
    I saw them supporting Oceansize a while ago and actually prefered People in Planes :D They seemed to be enjoying themselves and I felt they had something.

Maybe.....it's a long time since I saw them.

What did you think of Oceansize?

I'm not a huge fan of their music but I used to be good friends with two of them at University so i always try and pop along to see them when they're playing :)

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • Options
    Maybe.....it's a long time since I saw them.

What did you think of Oceansize?

I'm not a huge fan of their music but I used to be good friends with two of them at University so i always try and pop along to see them when they're playing :)

I really like Oceansize's first album. Second one not so much, it seems to be closer towards generic nu-metal to me. The first was a bit more inventive.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Options
    nutmeg81nutmeg81 Posts: 627
    Parasol wrote:
    i think we all agree on this, no support act but more Pearl Jam :D

yeah 3 hours would be nice!
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
  • Options
    Parasol wrote:
    i think we all agree on this, no support act but more Pearl Jam :D

yeah 3 hours would be nice........!
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
  • Options
    icemanapicemanap Posts: 406
    Nothing wrong with the Arctic Monkeys. Then again I am from the home of British music (Sheffield - a biased opinion!), although their second album will be the making of them - there's only so much you can sing about Sheffield, being young and drunk! I saw Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly recently and he/they are very good, quite political - be right up PJ's street!
    :D Rock on!!!! :D
    Seen Pearl Jam 4 times in London, once in Manchester, as well as an Eddie show at Hammersmith.
  • Options
    duggroduggro Posts: 1,343

And it's based on a truism: in my experience, this magazine - and the vast majority of bands associated with it - badmouth PJ constantly. The whole British Indie scene right now is pretentious and arrogant, and refuses to recognise anything great came before it (except maybe The Smiths *yawn*).

well then you know what?

i agree with you entirely
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • Options
    How about Metallica!!!

Their doing another 3 week Escape from the Studio tour.
    Tour '08
    Destroying DC Scum.
  • Options
    mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Super_Fan wrote:
    How about Metallica!!!

Their doing another 3 week Escape from the Studio tour.

Metallica would never support PJ. I think Lars doesn't like PJ and Metallica are too big to support PJ in Wembley arena. Metallica would just do their own show at the stadium. Would be cool tho.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Options
    saw doctors!!
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
  • Options
    trammeustrammeus Posts: 124
    mole1985 wrote:
    Metallica would never support PJ.

This is absolutely NOT a problem.
    Metallica is crap since mid 90's.
    Verona 93 - Milan 96 - Barcelona 96 - Verona 00 - Milan 00 - Turin 06 - Berlin 06 - Lisbon 07 - Madrid 07 - Katowice 07 - London 07 - Werchter 07
  • Options
    I really like Oceansize's first album. Second one not so much, it seems to be closer towards generic nu-metal to me. The first was a bit more inventive.

generic nu-metal? I'm not sure they fit that description. I think their 2nd record was actually better, they seemed more confident on it and a lot more of a together band.

I don't know whats happened to them recently. For reason best known to themselves, they went on a thankless tour with Fightstar and I think it might have finished them off. I know they were all thinking about doing different stuff.

On the first album, don't you think there's a part of song "Remember Where You Are" that sounds exactly like Oceans?

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • Options
    generic nu-metal? I'm not sure they fit that description. I think their 2nd record was actually better, they seemed more confident on it and a lot more of a together band.

I don't know whats happened to them recently. For reason best known to themselves, they went on a thankless tour with Fightstar and I think it might have finished them off. I know they were all thinking about doing different stuff.

On the first album, don't you think there's a part of song "Remember Where You Are" that sounds exactly like Oceans?

Yeah OK 'generic nu-metal' was maybe a bit harsh - they're not. I just found it slightly more predictable. Different strokes I guess.

And yeah, you're right about Oceans. I was listening through the whole album thinking 'I bet they like Pearl Jam'. I love 'One Day All This Will Be Yours'.

• Options
    Yeah OK 'generic nu-metal' was maybe a bit harsh - they're not. I just found it slightly more predictable. Different strokes I guess.

And yeah, you're right about Oceans. I was listening through the whole album thinking 'I bet they like Pearl Jam'. I love 'One Day All This Will Be Yours'.

love oceansize, effloresce is on eof my favourite all time albums. and also....

As of Feb 2007, the band are writing their as yet untitled third album. Vennart posted an MP3 of a slow-moving recently recorded jam called 'Scribble Pad (Guide Dog)' on on Oceansize official message board on 3rd Feb 2007 1. It is unlikely that this work will appear anywhere, but was used solely as an appetizer for eager fans.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    The Proclaimers
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    jrdjrd Posts: 3,060
    dunkman wrote:
    The Proclaimers

stunned silence. everyone's thinking... "is he joking...?"
    Oh yeah? Well, I've had about enough of morons and halfwits, dolts, dunces, dullards and dumbbells - and you chowderhead yokel, you blithering hayseed, you - you've had enough of me?
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    jrd wrote:
    stunned silence. everyone's thinking... "is he joking...?"

everyone else bar jrd is thinking "nope, he probably isnt!!...." ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    I'd be happy with The Proclaimers!
    Seen them with my husband (who's a big fan) last year and had the time of my life!
    They're a great live band.