Options

Springsteen Cancels NC Show PJ should too

Comments

• Options
    GM151575GM151575 Freehold, NJ Posts: 346
    rgambs said:

GM151575 said:

If people paid for the concert, they should certainly deliver if they are able. This is like saying Amazon, or some other company who wanted to make a stand, stopped shipping out their orders to nc and just gave refunds. These people paid for a product, sure they're getting their ticket money back, but the delivering party did not make an attempt to deliver in good faith.

I feel like people think the fans own artists and it's just silly.
    Well in a sense if you buy a ticket, you have a contract to either get the concert or get your money back. They're getting their money back, not a problem there. But it still might create bitterness among his fans or hurt his brand. In my opinion it's not good business practice
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,626
    Florida, Kentucky and Louisiana are among the worst in LGBT rights. This could be a short tour if they start canceling shows for the reasons some of you think they should.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I really hope PJ doesn't cancel...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,696
    edited April 2016
    GM151575 said:

rgambs said:

GM151575 said:

If people paid for the concert, they should certainly deliver if they are able. This is like saying Amazon, or some other company who wanted to make a stand, stopped shipping out their orders to nc and just gave refunds. These people paid for a product, sure they're getting their ticket money back, but the delivering party did not make an attempt to deliver in good faith.

Well in a sense if you buy a ticket, you have a contract to either get the concert or get your money back. They're getting their money back, not a problem there. But it still might create bitterness among his fans or hurt his brand. In my opinion it's not good business practice
    I doubt Bruce would suffer from losing a handful of NC fans. This will have no impact on his business and he knows it (unless it perhaps improves it. It will probably actually attract way more new fans that he might lose, which is probably almost none). But I like to believe that most of his fans understand and respect that he is doing what HE feels is right.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tubes10stubes10s Posts: 512
    Pearl Jam absolutely should NOT cancel this Raleigh show.

Cancelling a commitment in the attempt to make a political statement is just a gigantic cop-out. If they wish to make a statement, then keep your commitments to the show, play the show, then donate all proceeds to those fighting for what you're wishing to support.
    8-31-98 - Raleigh
    8-3-00 - Virginia Beach
    4-16-03 - Charlotte
    5-27-06 - Camden 1
    5-28-06 - Camden 2
    5-30-06 - DC
    6-17-08 - Virginia Beach
    6-22-08 - DC
    5-13-10 - Bristow
    10-27-13 - Baltimore
    10-29-13 - Charlottesville
    4-18-16 - Hampton
  • Options
    jeshrivjeshriv Carolina Posts: 7
    I can all but guarantee that the local Carolina fans heading to this show are not in support of this obnoxious bill. I am looking forward to standing in protest with the band on 4/20 and making much more of a stand protesting and blazing from the rafters #WeAreNotThis #Don'tCancel
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,756
    Stealing this post from a gentleman named Ray in the PJ Facebook group....
    Ray said:

Bruce used to like referring to homosexuals as fairies in his songs. But leaves the word out when he is performing in the company of modern Liberal organizations.

“Lost in the Flood’s” lyrics read, “His countryside's burnin' with wolfman fairies dressed in drag for homicide.”

“Incident on 57th Street,” sang about “all them golden-heeled fairies in a real bitch fight.”

But because he is a Liberal rocker, nobody cares. Meanwhile they pull their flamethrowers out on people like Kid Rock and Blake Shelton.

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,502

I love Springsteen but he thinks a bit much of himself in this instance.

Ridiculous. Bruce has a long history of supporting human rights causes. From amenesty international to writing the theme song for Philadelphia to even his support of local charities here in my area. Eddie just performed at a Bruce show and I would be shocked if the band didn't follow suit here.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    GM151575GM151575 Freehold, NJ Posts: 346
    edited April 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

GM151575 said:

rgambs said:

GM151575 said:

I doubt Bruce would suffer from losing a handful of NC fans. This will have no impact on his business and he knows it (unless it perhaps improves it. It will probably actually attract way more new fans that he might lose, which is probably almost none). But I like to believe that most of his fans understand and respect that he is doing what HE feels is right.
    Sure at this stage in his career it's not gonna hurt him, losing some pissed off nc fans. I guess he should consider himself lucky to have enough fans to not care about losing some of them though.
  • Options
    ToHellURideToHellURide Posts: 145
    I have tickets to this show and while I would be disappointed in not seeing PJ that night, I would fully support their decision to cancel.
  • Options
    ToHellURideToHellURide Posts: 145
    I have also seen that US Soccer will no longer consider NC venues for matches featuring the men's or women's national teams
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,364
    This has already become a lose-lose situation for PJ.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404
    Unless the NC government repeals the law next week this show will be canceled. There's no way Pearl Jam play after Bruce
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    It's out of my hands...
    and while I am looking forward to this show,
    I would be okay with the band standing up for something they feel is important!!
    I have tickets for the Raleigh show...
    I'll still respect the band members whatever they decide to do!!
    I'll be at the show in Hampton before Raleigh
    and I'll be at the show in Columbia after Raleigh.
    I'll be with friends and I know we're going to have a great time hanging out together,
    no matter what happens!!!
    :rock_on:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,483
    ComeToTX said:

PJ_Soul said:

ComeToTX said:

Regardless. One show doesn't bring millions into a city.

Pretty sure it does. Supposedly, the average amount that a person spends on a night out is $81, which I think is a fair assessment of concert goers too, what with dinner, parking, drinks, etc etc. Multiply that by 23,000 people (which is the capacity of the Springsteen venue), and you've got nearly $2 million. Add to that hotels and taxis....
    That isn't profit for the city itself and those businesses shouldn't have to be hurt either. Again it hurts more people than it helps.
    Actually, there is a ton of income for the state itself. You cant just look at the concertgoers. The state also gets the taxes off all the salary paid to every worker involved. It is much bigger than just a fraction of what the fans spend. It spreads to infrastructure. And yes, the businesses should be hurt because it is their representatives that passed the law. Really amazing that level of intolerance was advocated and now codified as law. Every resident should be ashamed. I feel bad for fans that lost money, but I have traveled to many events only to have it rain or have the artist cancel. It happens. It is part of traveling no matter where you go or what you travelling for.
  • Options
    As I said earlier if they take a stand in NC they should also cancel the shows in other states that discriminate. That's Kentucky, Louisiana, South Carolina...
  • Options
    OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,031
    ComeToTX said:

Florida, Kentucky and Louisiana are among the worst in LGBT rights. This could be a short tour if they start canceling shows for the reasons some of you think they should.

Your'e wrong about Kentucky. In spite of what Kim Davis wants to tell you.. Louisville is amongst the most gay friendly cities in the nation.

• Options
    ComeToTX said:

As I said earlier if they take a stand in NC they should also cancel the shows in other states that discriminate. That's Kentucky, Louisiana, South Carolina...

Exactly
  • Options
    edited April 2016

ComeToTX said:

Your'e wrong about Kentucky. In spite of what Kim Davis wants to tell you.. Louisville is amongst the most gay friendly cities in the nation.

Louisville isn't a state. Just like Raleigh isn't a state. These are state laws, not city ordinances.

I live in Austin so I know what it's like to be a progressive speck in a sea of ignorance.
  • Options
    Did bands boycott CA over Prop 8?
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,756
    edited April 2016
    GB281198 said:

Unless the NC government repeals the law next week this show will be canceled. There's no way Pearl Jam play after Bruce

Why not? They don't have to do it just because Bruce did.
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    The state law in NC repealed any local municipality laws that assured rights. That's the biggest difference here. If KY creates laws to repeal local laws that granted rights then they would be similar. Fortunately THAT hasn't happened yet. I'm a gay man North of Nashville half an hour from the Kentucky state line with many friends in my circle living in Kentucky so we are WELL aware of any laws these assholes are trying to pass.
  • Options
    TheiaTheia Posts: 145

GB281198 said:

Maybe, I mean it's Bruce Springsteen........he is much respected by the band.
    Still, I wish there was another way.
  • Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404

GB281198 said:

Just my best guess, I hope they don't cancel I've got tickets and a hotel reservation and looking forward to going. The band has a lot of respect for Bruce and may well follow his lead.
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 2,007
    In the end, I think Pearl Jam has too much respect for their fans to do what Bruce just did. I just don't see them making a statement at their fans' expense.
  • Options
    He's welcome to do what he wants and I agree with his beliefs on this 100% but canceling 48 hours before a show is pretty shitty for those fans.

Why not be a voice for the thousands of people living there that hate this law?
  • Options
    jeshrivjeshriv Carolina Posts: 7
    GB281198 said:

GB281198 said:

Just my best guess, I hope they don't cancel I've got tickets and a hotel reservation and looking forward to going. The band has a lot of respect for Bruce and may well follow his lead.

Here is hoping they have more respect for their fans and give us the opportunity to give a big F you to the local government with them.
  • Options
    For someone that had floor standing tickets to see Bruce in Greensboro in two days, it 100% sucks.

Do I agree with his reasoning? Completely. The only way to make a statement is with action. It fires up fellow liberals, like myself.

While other parts of the country are moving forward, North Carolina is at a stand still, and in some ways, moving backwards. Our Governor Pat McCrory has been a complete embarrassment. This isn't the first issue he has caused with our state. Even though he is now proposing a 5% raise in teachers salaries, it is only viewed as a "change of the subject" for bigger issues.

McCrory is so caught up in his personal religious belief, that he isn't paying attention to what is best for the state and the people that live here. HB-2 is going to cause more financial issues that he care to pay attention towards.

The next week or so will be interesting. I have GA tickets to the Raleigh Pearl Jam show, and as much as I hope it doesn't happen, expect them to announce any day that they will be making the same choice.
  • Options
    I'm torn here. To cancel would anger fans and possibly motivate them to vote these losers out of office, but these bible thumpers will probably see cancelling as a cultural victory by keeping the "sin peddlers" out of their community. I respect and even applaud Bruce's decision but if Pearl Jam doesn't follow suit there is something to be said for using their voice to rally behind the lgbtq community.
  • Options
    TheiaTheia Posts: 145
    edited April 2016
    bluesuedeitzrad said:
    "Even though he is now proposing a 5% raise in teachers salaries, it is only viewed as a "change of the subject" for bigger issues. "

Exactly! Yeah, now he's not such a bad guy. What an ass.