Options

Springsteen Cancels NC Show PJ should too

Comments

• Options
    derbydave said:

PJ_Soul said:

RE4790 said:

I agree with Bruce but cancelling 2 days before is tough. Non-refundable flight and tickets hurts the regular folk more than anything. But like he said, some things are more important than a rock show.

easy for a multimillionaire like Bruce... but for the working class people whom he speaks for, they probably got burned pretty bad by this action.
    Good lesson about not booking non-refundable flights and hotel bookings for events that can get cancelled though. Surprised people still do that.
    Learned my lesson when Ed cancelled his 2012 solo tour with less than a week notice!!!
    Still had a BLAST at the Loose Caboose in Vegas,
    & the "Get Better Eddie Vedder" party in Phoenix...
    met some of my very BEST PJ Friends there!!
    At least you were in Vegas, not Charlotte lol
  • Options
    RE4790RE4790 Posts: 795
    What's super ironic is that when confronted with the Communism and the USSR, Bruce played the fucking concert to show them a better way.
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

derbydave said:

PJ_Soul said:

RE4790 said:

I agree with Bruce but cancelling 2 days before is tough. Non-refundable flight and tickets hurts the regular folk more than anything. But like he said, some things are more important than a rock show.

easy for a multimillionaire like Bruce... but for the working class people whom he speaks for, they probably got burned pretty bad by this action.
    Good lesson about not booking non-refundable flights and hotel bookings for events that can get cancelled though. Surprised people still do that.
    Learned my lesson when Ed cancelled his 2012 solo tour with less than a week notice!!!
    At least you were in Vegas, not Charlotte lol
    Vegas were the first shows of the tour...
    and I traveled there from Ohio to do these 3 shows!!!
    I still got to see Bon Iver at the Hard Rock that week,
    so not a TOTAL LOSS!! :rock_on:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,132
    RE4790 said:

What's super ironic is that when confronted with the Communism and the USSR, Bruce played the fucking concert to show them a better way.

That's what I was wondering.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited April 2016
    Sorry but don't give two shits what a rock band's stance is on anything to rob people of a show where they want to get away from everyday politics and go see music is just plain selfish on the artist part...sorry Bruce but your stance on this means jack shit to me...I don't agree with the bill (to a point) that was passed but you pissed on a lot more average people than you did making a statement other than you're a jackass

Pearl Jam follows suit and the same goes for them
    Post edited by pjalive21 on
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,614
    If bands start canceling shows because they don't agree with local laws then there won't be many states left to play in.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,679
    edited April 2016
    ComeToTX said:

PJ_Soul said:

RE4790 said:

Do you know how much a fully refundable flight costs?
    Yes. It's the only kind I'll buy if I'm traveling for a concert or anything else that has a relatively high likelihood of going sideways. It costs a lot less than losing the entire amount because the trip gets cancelled. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    derbydave said:

PJ_Soul said:

RE4790 said:

Fair enough. Not everyone would cancel a trip. I remember thinking that if that Wrigley show got cancelled (which it nearly did), I was still happy to have a vacation in Chicago. However, I assume that if someone is whining about it and talking about it as a loss of their money, they must not be interested in still making the trip without a show.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

RE4790 said:

That's easier to do with hotels and not at all an option with flights, unless you don't care if you go.
  • Options
    pjalive21 said:

Sorry but don't give two shits what a rock band's stance is on anything to rob people of a show where they want to get away from everyday politics and go see music is just plain selfish on the artist part...sorry Bruce but your stance on this means jack shit to me...I don't agree with the bill (to a point) that was passed but you pissed on a lot more average people than you did making a statement other than you're a jackass

I'm sure they don't give two shits if you give two shits. They are making their own political statement, not one on your behalf.
  • Options
    zachjgzachjg Posts: 105
    I'd assume they play and it gives EV his rights to voice his opinion during the show. Those are always entertaining.
  • Options

I'd assume they play and it gives EV his rights to voice his opinion during the show. Those are always entertaining.

I feel like this would have a stronger impact than canceling the show.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I'm going to chime in with what many have said...I think cancelling the show is punishing the wrong people. Pear Jam fans are generally forward thinking people with love for others. Don't play there in the future, sure, but it's too late to cancel now. Yes, many things are more important than a rock show, but having good people suffer for what bad people are doing is exactly what this law embraces.

I also agree with donating money from the show to fight the law. Turn the show into something very positive.

Obviously there is no intention of punishing the fans. They are just casualties of a problem between the artist's philosophy and the law/government. I don't think that the cancellation has anything to do with what the fans' views on the matter are, and completely besides the point.
    That's like saying civilians injured in war are just casualties of country's laws/government like it's no big deal. I realize no one will die if this show is cancelled but good people will be the ones who lose. If they were going to cancel they had a lot of time to do so and relocate, etc. So did Bruce really. Making a stand IS important, There are ways to make an impact and turn this positive without cancelling a show. PJ can obviously do whatever they want, it is their show and their band, and I support them, but I still don't want them to cancel the show.
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033

Cool.... Gives him a chance to preach to a crowd that would already agree with him.

Bruce is making a bigger stmt.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    mr bungle said:

What about all the low paid workers at these venues who count on every single event to pay bills and put food on there table? Canceling shows hurts the working class more than it makes a impact in politics.

This this this.
  • Options
    sheenTNsheenTN Posts: 163
    As a ticket holder for this Raleigh show inal biased but I absolutely do not want them to cancel. The idea of boycotting doesn't hurt the people who support the bill passed, it simply hurts those who spend their hard earned money to gather in a place to celebrate music, peace and love. Does it really have the greatest effect to boycott and not show up? What if PJ saw this as an opportunity with their appearance in the state Capitol? What if they hold a press conference stating their opposition to this bill and announce their donating a percentage of sales to fight said bill? What if they see a sold out coliseum as the perfect opportunity to have a petition set up right by the front doors calling for the repeal of this bill? What if the decided the strongest stance would be to go right into the heart of the problem and make your voice heard there? Please don't take the "easy" way out with a press release, show up and let your voice be heard. Support the residents of the state who are not only frustrated by the bill but are now being negatively affected financially for something that a politician did. Some of those people may be counting on the paycheck from your show, whether it be from serving concessions, waiting tables, or cleaning a hotel room, and need you to show up. Show up and be heard.
    Knoxville '98, Greensboro 2000, Raleigh 2003, Nashville 2003, Asheville 2004, Bonnaroo 2008, Columbia 2008, EV The Ryman 1&2 2009, Alpine Valley 1&2 2011, Charlotte 2013, Columbia 2016, Lexington 2016, Bonnaroo 2016
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684

mr bungle said:

What about all the low paid workers at these venues who count on every single event to pay bills and put food on there table? Canceling shows hurts the working class more than it makes a impact in politics.

This this this.
    Not if everyone takes a stand, cancels, and makes an impact. Then the politicians might listen when their state starts losing money.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    zachjgzachjg Posts: 105
    hsohi said:

Cool.... Gives him a chance to preach to a crowd that would already agree with him.

Oh yeah, for sure. I think you agree with me? My company made a big statement about it a week or so ago and you would not believe the comments that were posted shaming us
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,915
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Having the show and using it to further the cause is far more effective

I agree. Don't cancel PJ. The NC fans deserve the show!
    I disagree. No one would really bat an eye if they did the show and simply made mention of the laws, and would literally have no impact whatsoever in any way. Cancelling the show gets a WAY stronger reaction, obviously, and sends a real message to the government (i.e., this law hurts your economy).
    If Kanye rants can get publicity so can a solid EV rant
    Neither one has any real impact on any issue just by commenting at a show, and god knows Kanye gets more attention that EV. WAAAAAY more. Either way, all it gets is Twitter traffic. It's ineffectual at the end of the day as far as laws go. At best it stimulates online conversation.
    When has cancelling a show changed anything? There are plenty of fans who don't support the NC govt. whatever happens I'm cool with but I'd feel bad for a lot of people.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    PJ_Soul said:

derbydave said:

PJ_Soul said:

RE4790 said:

Fair enough. Not everyone would cancel a trip. I remember thinking that if that Wrigley show got cancelled (which it nearly did), I was still happy to have a vacation in Chicago. However, I assume that if someone is whining about it and talking about it as a loss of their money, they must not be interested in still making the trip without a show.
    I really couldn't cancel my trip...
    I was heading out to Vegas for the annual NAB convention that started the Monday after Ed's show in Phoenix, so I just moved my trip up a few days to see the shows.
    If I remember correctly, the tour was cancelled on Friday...
    and I was set to fly out to Vegas the following Monday.
    Ed's solo shows were on Tuesday & Wednesday in Vegas,
    the Bon Iver show was on Thursday & Ed's show in Phoenix was Friday.
    I had a GREAT time hanging out with friends that I met at PJ20 who were also coming to Vegas for the shows and then went down to Phoenix to get out of Vegas for a few days!!
    Hit Sedona on the way back to Vegas too!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    They only bow to money and canceling a few rock shows is a drop in the bucket. If massive companies leaving doesn't change their minds then PJ not playing means little. Play the show.
  • Options
    TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422
    I think it spits in the face of his fans who took off work, planned to travel, paid for hotels, not to mention the workers who were dependent on the show. Liberals have a monopoly on being offended.
  • Options
    This is totally tearing me up.
    I waited 22 years to score general standing tickets for Pearl Jam and it finally happened! The Raleigh show was marked to be the best day ever, Ive been counting down ever since! Then, HB2 happened. Im a lesbian living in NC and everyday I have to read or hear about the discrimination happening in my own state which literally has thrown me into a state of depression. So, the only thing I had to look forward to was April 20 when I was going to spend a few hours of my night dancing in the one place I longed to be for the past 22 years of my life in front of my absolute favorite band and for a few hours feel happiness again.

So, this sucks. On one hand, I would be proud of Pearl Jam for standing up for the LGBT community. But, on the other hand, what was supposed to be the best day of my life that I waited for the past 22 years will be my worst if they do cancel.

Guess we'll see. I will support their decision either way. They will always be my favorite band and if I have to wait another year or two to try to win lottery tickets, then so be it. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2016

PJ_Soul said:

I'm going to chime in with what many have said...I think cancelling the show is punishing the wrong people. Pear Jam fans are generally forward thinking people with love for others. Don't play there in the future, sure, but it's too late to cancel now. Yes, many things are more important than a rock show, but having good people suffer for what bad people are doing is exactly what this law embraces.

I also agree with donating money from the show to fight the law. Turn the show into something very positive.

Obviously there is no intention of punishing the fans. They are just casualties of a problem between the artist's philosophy and the law/government. I don't think that the cancellation has anything to do with what the fans' views on the matter are, and completely besides the point.
    That's like saying civilians injured in war are just casualties of country's laws/government like it's no big deal. I realize no one will die if this show is cancelled but good people will be the ones who lose. If they were going to cancel they had a lot of time to do so and relocate, etc. So did Bruce really. Making a stand IS important, There are ways to make an impact and turn this positive without cancelling a show. PJ can obviously do whatever they want, it is their show and their band, and I support them, but I still don't want them to cancel the show.
    I really don't think that saying music fans will be disappointed is the same as saying humans will die is similar in any way whatsoever.
    Yes, protest for the sake of civil rights can be an inconvenience. And...? I feel that any artist should take any action he feels he should in the name of civil rights, and while the showing going on and them saying something on stage would have an impact FOR THE PEOPLE AT THE SHOW, it would have literally zero impact on the people he wants to impact. Of course I understand that fans want to go to the show. I would too. But ..... sometimes other things take precedent, and in this case, Bruce's beliefs and his need to take action that he thinks lawmakers might actually notice did.
    Aside from the show happening, I truly don't understand how people think having the show would be more effective in what Bruce is trying to accomplish. It simply would not be.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    TL170678 said:

Liberals have a monopoly on being offended.

You must be fucking joking.
    Plus, you think that "liberals" are the only ones who support LGBT rights?? So the scale is liberals ---> bigots. And nothing in between. Interesting.
    Sorry, if you don't find the new NC laws offensive then there is something wrong with you.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033

hsohi said:

Oh yeah, for sure. I think you agree with me? My company made a big statement about it a week or so ago and you would not believe the comments that were posted shaming us
    I'm with you.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    ComeToTX said:

They only bow to money and canceling a few rock shows is a drop in the bucket. If massive companies leaving doesn't change their minds then PJ not playing means little. Play the show.

I think it does have an impact. I bet if bands and companies alike keep doing this the laws will be repealing pretty soon.
  • Options
    A better thing for Bruce to do is play a huge free rally in town.
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    There's no way Pearl Jam cancels, they have a different relationship with their fans. Chris Cristie and many other backward thinking people go to Bruce shows for whatever reason, it's like they don't listen to Bruce's lyrics but just want to be at the show or something.

I agree with Bruce canceling in the sense that the only thing the politicians care about is money. The only reason similar backward laws didn't pass in other states like Georgia is because huge corporations like the NCAA & NFL stepped in and ultimately threatened revenue not because they changed their beliefs.

The move for Pearl Jam is to donate money to the groups fighting the hatred and have booths & tables raising awareness in the arena. They can & will motivate their fans to go out & change things for the better as they always have.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    PJ_Soul said:

pjalive21 said:

I'm sure they don't give two shits if you give two shits. They are making their own political statement, not one on your behalf.
    Technically they are making a statement on people's behalf who wanted to attend the show and not discuss politics. People pay to see you play, so do it. You want to make a political statement do it at the show or somewhere else. What point did they make except to piss people off who wanted to go to the show, yeah that's really helping your cause. You have an obligation so stick to it. I would be fired from my job if I just upped and walked out to make a statement for the LGBT community on this issue. There is a time and a place. Like someone said you really back the cause throw money for support or get your boots on the ground in the community.