Options

Are you as much a fan of any other band?

Comments

• Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    edited February 2016
    Widespread Panic... almost. Their live shows are soo much fun! I can't wait for April when it's Panic, PJ, PJ, Panic in 4 cities in 4 days.
    Post edited by jordn6971 on
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    Pearl Jam is my clear number 1. Springsteen, Eric Church, and DMB are a distant 2, 3, and 4.
  • Options
    NanouNanou Posts: 191
    If Pearl Jam announced a European tour, I would buy the tickets for anywhere and think about the details later.
    With other musicians (Eagles of Death Metal, Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals, Chris Cornell), as much as I love them, I would first think about the details and perhaps buy the ticket(s).
    That's the difference I guess.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,924
    I used to follow dmb but I would only go to 2 shows a year max. So in other words it s not even close.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    keeponrisinkeeponrisin Posts: 97
    edited February 2016
    Pearl Jam is my clear number one, but but I have been checking out J Roddy Walston and The Business a lot lately.
  • Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    edited March 2016
    My favorite artist is Neil Young. Pearl Jam and the Drive-By Truckers are tied for second. I haven't been going to as many Neil shows lately as I did in the past. I don't really travel outside the Northeast for Neil now except to go to the Bridge School Benefit.
    Post edited by Yefa on
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Tool and Puscifer. And the Beatles.

I mean, there's a shitload of music that means the world to me, but those three are as much a part of my life as PJ.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    Nanou said:

If Pearl Jam announced a European tour, I would buy the tickets for anywhere and think about the details later.
    With other musicians (Eagles of Death Metal, Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals, Chris Cornell), as much as I love them, I would first think about the details and perhaps buy the ticket(s).

That's a really good way of looking at it.
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    edited February 2016

Pearl Jam is my clear number one, but but I have been checking out J Roddy Walston and The Business a lot lately.

J Roddy & The Business are really good...
    I've been to 3 of their shows and love their music.
    Not in my top ten yet...
    and wouldn't travel out of state (I did go down for their show at The Taft in Cincinnati last year) to see them yet,
    but they are definitely on the way up on my list!!
    Post edited by derbydave on
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
    REM, Led Zeppelin, Neil Young, u2, Neil Finn/all Finn related stuff, Brad/Shawn Smith, Blind Melon, Supergrass & too many others to mention. I have complete works for tons of bands besides Pearl Jam. Pearl Jam is my favorite still.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,313
    Tool
    Iron Maiden
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348

Not at the level of this band, no, but Radiohead would be up there.

its a tie for me between pj n radiohead with mmj and petty next on the list, but radiohead is an equal obsession for me
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    I have many obsessions, PJ is just one of them.
  • Options

Nanou said:

That's a really good way of looking at it.
    :wink:
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641
    edited February 2016
    I don't get quite as excited about any other band's live shows as I do about PJ's (although am always stoked to see any band I think is worth the price of admission). But there are tons of artists/bands that I am a huge fan of and listen to just as much as or more than PJ. However, I know way more about PJ than any other band. I don't even usually know the names of everyone in a band, even if I really really really love their music, and aside from their music catalogues I usually know little to nothing about the detailed history of a band whose music I am a massive fan of. But with PJ I know pretty much everything there is to know about them and their music. Plus, this is the only paid fan club i am a member of (Third Man Records doesn't count). So I guess that means no, I am not as big a fan of any other band... Maybe not even close. I am only as big a fan of several other bands' music.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    blenderman69blenderman69 philly Posts: 2,104
    i'm a huge zombie fan...great live show!
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,487
    Social Distortion- I may like the songs a little better but PJ is the best live band I've seen.
    Social D tours more often and have seen them more.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 824
    Since no one's mentioned the Greatest Band in the World yet...the Who. Them, Pearl Jam, and Springsteen are my unassailable Holy Trinity; Springsteen's generally 1c, although having seen him twice in the past couple weeks he's pushing hard for the top two, but generally it's between Pearl Jam and the Who for my favourite band status. The Who's the only band that's ever made me cry--and Quadrophenia's my favourite record ever, so when pushed I'll usually name them as my favourite band as well. But I've seen Pearl Jam way more than anyone else, and that won't change even after two Who concerts in the next few weeks.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    NO
  • Options
    narnianarnia Posts: 635
    I was a Beatlemaniac back in the 60s. I was lucky enough to have seen them 3x, and many times throughout their solo careers. I never thought I'd like another band more than them, but then PJ came along.
    I escaped it...a life wasted...I'm never going back again
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,422
    Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and Nirvana. Of those 3 I only saw Floyd live (in '94), was too young for the Zep, and missed Nirvana.
    In terms of currently active bands, it's PJ with a strong nod to anything Slash does, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    NWOntario said:

Since no one's mentioned the Greatest Band in the World yet...the Who. Them, Pearl Jam, and Springsteen are my unassailable Holy Trinity; Springsteen's generally 1c, although having seen him twice in the past couple weeks he's pushing hard for the top two, but generally it's between Pearl Jam and the Who for my favourite band status. The Who's the only band that's ever made me cry--and Quadrophenia's my favourite record ever, so when pushed I'll usually name them as my favourite band as well. But I've seen Pearl Jam way more than anyone else, and that won't change even after two Who concerts in the next few weeks.

Empty, paging Empty!

Nice call - I love each bandmember individually and as a whole :)
  • Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    Nothing like Pearl Jam, just the live experiences alone leave them unmatched for me. At this point, I'm not even interested in seeing anyone else live.
    Other bands/musicians that I am really into and have just about their entire catalog are the Beastie Boys, Bob Dylan, Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead, and Bob Marley.
  • Options
    narnia said:

I was a Beatlemaniac back in the 60s. I was lucky enough to have seen them 3x, and many times throughout their solo careers. I never thought I'd like another band more than them, but then PJ came along.

Wow! You're so lucky! I didn't even mention the Beatles because I was only thinking of currently active bands. I love them. I grew up listening to their vinyls (my father is a fan). And I like thinking, had I lived in the 60s, I would have been one of the screaming fans front row. :heart:
  • Options
    Nanou said:

narnia said:

Wow! You're so lucky! I didn't even mention the Beatles because I was only thinking of currently active bands. I love them. I grew up listening to their vinyls (my father is a fan). And I like thinking, had I lived in the 60s, I would have been one of the screaming fans front row. :heart:
    Hell yeah! I missed this earlier.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Nine Inch Nails. And Springsteen.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,082
    Soul Asylum, Wilco. It used to be I had seen PJ way more than I'd seen anyone else, but now that I just see 2-4 shows every 3 years, other bands who tour annually have taken the lead..Given that I got got shut out of PJ tickets this year, my fandom may be waning even more. That's no fault of the band of course, but I'm feeling more and more of an outsider, and more and more appreciative of other bands who may be less commercially-successful but whose current music I enjoy all the same if not moreso. And I have no problem getting tix for, and I can usually get on the rail with no problems. On album PJ peaked on No Code/Yield for me, and on tour I'd say 2003-2005 was the best run.

Another artist I've listened to a lot, on CD and in concert, in the last 3-4 years is Joseph Arthur.
  • Options
    For me it all changed when I saw them live for the first time.
    PJ is the only band I have ever travelled abroad for.
    And I´ve just booked a 5,600 miles flight to Chicago next August.
    ...So I guess the answer is no :)
  • Options
    driowadriowa Wisconsin Posts: 115
    Nine Inch Nails, Rammstein (most epic live show ever!) and the criminally underrated Sevendust.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    KV4053 said:

red mos said:

For me:
    Toadies
    Foo fighters

Are you from Texas?

I was surprised to see them around still. Great band, but with only a couple of albums, hard to remember them sometimes (law of averages I guess). They played in north Houston a while back. Tickets were 'spensive. Woulda gone though....but for the long arse drive from the south side of town
    Yes. I live near downtown Houston.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12