Options

History of 10 club tix and seniority

Comments

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,916
    JS38594 said:

Poncier said:

Seniority has never been a factor in getting tickets.
    I

But it should be...
    I think they want some young people at shows :sunglasses:
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,649
    edited January 2016
    a5pj said:

So I'll add this, and hopefully someone can back me up. The only time Seniority being a factor in getting tickets (that I know of) was for the Irving Plaza NY 2006 show. I waited a long time in line to get tickets to that show because you had to buy the album on release day. I heard (forget where, probably saw here somewhere) that long time low number NYC fans had the opportunity to purchase tickets to the show, I think someone posted the e-mail with the details. I remember logging in and seeing the tickets for sale but couldn't buy. So I don't know if this was just a personal favor for friends of the band or something or what, but I do know it happened.

I believe 150 pairs were made available to the lowest 10c # members that lived in NYC (Manhatten proper).

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    subpoprockcitysubpoprockcity Posts: 241
    edited January 2016
    KC138045 said:

rgambs said:

Where is subpoprockcity?
    :whistle:

Back in hiding until after the next lottery.......halts maul
    No, I am actually working a normal 9-5 job. Thanks for singling me out though, in a thread in which I haven't participated, which again is not really in the spirit of the forum.
    Post edited by subpoprockcity on
  • Options
    steved said:

When I listen to you guys debate and argue about this, I think some of the issues are pretty obvious. "Fair" is generally going to be in the perspective of whose self interests are being served.

If you have been a member since the 90's and you have a low Fan Club number you generally are going to side with this current system being less fair. If you are a newer member this system serves you better and is more "Fair".

Find me someone who has a 4-5 digit Fan Club number who thinks this is more "Fair", and I will tell you they are trying to sound like a nice guy, but inside they are lying. Show me a guy who joined last year, who would prefer all reserved seating with him being in the back of the line, with no shot at GA, and him thinking that is more "Fair" and will think the same.

I personally like the old system better, but at least I am honest about why, it is because it served me better. It least I can own that. I'm not going to say what is "FAIR" or "UNFAIR. At heart, I love Pearl Jam, and I want to see them from the best seats possible. It doesn't make me bad that I'm not thinking about the rest of you, but it certainly makes me partial and biased to have a debate or argument about it.

thank you. My fair is not your fair because it's subjective.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,526
    steved said:

When I listen to you guys debate and argue about this, I think some of the issues are pretty obvious. "Fair" is generally going to be in the perspective of whose self interests are being served.

If you have been a member since the 90's and you have a low Fan Club number you generally are going to side with this current system being less fair. If you are a newer member this system serves you better and is more "Fair".

Find me someone who has a 4-5 digit Fan Club number who thinks this is more "Fair", and I will tell you they are trying to sound like a nice guy, but inside they are lying. Show me a guy who joined last year, who would prefer all reserved seating with him being in the back of the line, with no shot at GA, and him thinking that is more "Fair" and will think the same.

I personally like the old system better, but at least I am honest about why, it is because it served me better. It least I can own that. I'm not going to say what is "FAIR" or "UNFAIR. At heart, I love Pearl Jam, and I want to see them from the best seats possible. It doesn't make me bad that I'm not thinking about the rest of you, but it certainly makes me partial and biased to have a debate or argument about it.

For what its worth, i have been a member since the 90s, i have a low number, and i would vote for this system 100% of the time.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    stevedsteved Posts: 651
    edited January 2016

For what its worth, i have been a member since the 90s, i have a low number, and i would vote for this system 100% of the time.

There are exceptions to every rule... Quite an altruistic guy you are...lol
    Post edited by steved on
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,867

a5pj said:

So I'll add this, and hopefully someone can back me up. The only time Seniority being a factor in getting tickets (that I know of) was for the Irving Plaza NY 2006 show. I waited a long time in line to get tickets to that show because you had to buy the album on release day. I heard (forget where, probably saw here somewhere) that long time low number NYC fans had the opportunity to purchase tickets to the show, I think someone posted the e-mail with the details. I remember logging in and seeing the tickets for sale but couldn't buy. So I don't know if this was just a personal favor for friends of the band or something or what, but I do know it happened.

I believe 150 pairs were made available to the lowest 10c # members that lived in NYC (Manhatten proper).
    Ah, I'm not crazy. So really in all of PJ's many concerts 150 pairs were available based on seniority... That's not bad in my book.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,526
    steved said:

Haha, its not altruism. Its self preservation. F5 and the current lottery give you basically the same odds. One just gives you a feeling of control. The other doesnt.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,276
    mcgruff10 said:

Things are fluid and always have been. in a few years when their kids are older this band might be touring a lot more often. Lots of people will be kicking themselves for punting their membership. Also, they seem to slowly be moving towards stadiums. Playing Giant's stadium would of made getting 10C seats much easier. Don't get stuck on one missed opportunity for tickets and miss the big picture.

I really hope they don't make the leap to stadiums. 17k crowd as opposed to 60-80k?

No thanks.

I also don't think they would sell out..... Worcester 2 didn't sell out in 2013. If they couldn't do 34k (est.) in two nights, I doubt they could could sell 55k + at Gillette.

(Gillette's capacity is 67k for FB games, idk the concert capacity..... Stabbing in the dark w/ that #.
    i'm wondering if both fenways will sell out.
    I think both will sell out initially. (I mean right now James Taylor and Billy Joel are both listed as sell outs), and more tickets will come available later. Always happens there, they hold back plenty of tix to create an inflated demand.
    I think the number of die hards (like us) who will attend both shows will drive them to sell out. If the band did static set lists like some bands do, they probably don't sell 2 nights out cause many would just go once, but I think there'll be enough of us crazies who go both nights that the general public will fill in enough to sell them out. Friday will be the bigger demand show for sure, will have higher prices on secondary market.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,943

KC138045 said:

rgambs said:

Where is subpoprockcity?
    :whistle:

Back in hiding until after the next lottery.......halts maul
    No, I am actually working a normal 9-5 job. Thanks for singling me out though, in a thread in which I haven't participated, which again is not really in the spirit of the forum.
    Please take your personal issue with each other off the forum. If you cannot get along with someone it's time to put them on ignore. Since we don't have an ignore feature on this forum it will be up to you to not respond to the posts. Please do not put your posting privileges at risk. If you see a problem post please report it and let us handle it.
    Thank you

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines
  • Options
    same here.... been in since the mid 90's... get shut out for tix roughly half the time I choose... shit happens...its a lottery... actually think its a pretty good/fair system to benefit all...and thankfully the band feels similar as well... PS... i'm just happy pj still rocking out... I'm 43 now and hope they outlast me...
    Vedd Hedd said:

steved said:

Haha, its not altruism. Its self preservation. F5 and the current lottery give you basically the same odds. One just gives you a feeling of control. The other doesnt.

• Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818

Quick question, sort of related, but not really...... Did I read correctly in another thread yesterday, that there was a group of 10c members turning their back on the band at shows to express their displeasure over certain songs being played?

If I saw this and confirmed it was true I would put all the pretentious so called "fans" right in their place...when you try and become bigger than the band you need to get a life or reality check that no one is there to see those "fans", nor does the band give two craps if you are tired of hearing Evenflow a 100000x because they are going to rock that shit no matter what

there are so many people who would kill to be GA just once, like I was up until a few years ago in St. Louis when I was front and center in GA and rocked the hell out to Evenflow

**drops mic***....Done

• Options
    mklmgmklmg Posts: 45
    Like an idiot, l let my membership expire in the mid 90s. Rejoined just in time for the 2000 tour. Always got decent seats except 2010 when I didn't win the lottery & had to go via Ticketmaster. I trust Pearl Jam to do the right thing.
    St. Pete 3/29/1994
    Jones Beach 8/24/2000
    Uniondale 4/30/2003
    New York 7/8/2003
    New York 7/9/2003
    New York 6/24/2008
    New York 6/25/2008
    New York 5/20/2010
    New York 5/21/2010
    Brooklyn 10/18/2013
    Wrigley 8/22/2016
  • Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    edited January 2016
    mklmg said:

Like an idiot, l let my membership expire in the mid 90s. Rejoined just in time for the 2000 tour. Always got decent seats except 2010 when I didn't win the lottery & had to go via Ticketmaster. I trust Pearl Jam to do the right thing.

There was no lottery in 2010 except for rows 1,2,9, and 10. That was for 10c members who had already purchased tickets.
    Post edited by Yefa on
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    edited January 2016

Quick question, sort of related, but not really...... Did I read correctly in another thread yesterday, that there was a group of 10c members turning their back on the band at shows to express their displeasure over certain songs being played?

I've never seen this myself so don't know if it happened or not.
    I did see this though…
    My ticket buddy won the 10c lottery for MSG II in 2010. We were in the 2nd row. During Alive, I happened to notice a woman in the 3rd row who was standing there with her arms folded. I was stunned because Alive is the song that got me into Pearl Jam (saw the video on MTV) way back in 1991. She (or her ticket buddy) must have had incredible seniority to have 3rd row tickets at that show.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,780
    JS38594 said:

JS38594 said:

Poncier said:

I

But it should be...
    why?
    we pay membersip per year
    THIS YEAR me and you paid the SAME MONEY
    why and how your money is different for this year than mine??
    same color the dollars mine and yours,same value for this year..same chances to score tickets
    AFTER and IF we both score tix..u get a better seat in the house cos u paid more years than mE..
    SYSTEM IN PERFECTION....
    The fan club itself places a value on member number. I think we can all agree on that. The lower the number, the longer you have been in the fan club. This is important. If this didn't exist, there would be no seniority argument and it would be a free-for-all. Because this does exist, we can debate how much value is placed on it.

By its very nature, the concept of seniority is dependent upon time. Meaning that it doesnt matter if you and I paid the same money THIS YEAR. I've been paying for the last 18 YEARS. In the context of seniority, how does 1 = 18?
    You misunderstood Demi's post, read it again.
  • Options
    Yefa said:

I did see this though…
    My ticket buddy won the 10c lottery for MSG II in 2010. We were in the 2nd row. During Alive, I happened to notice a woman in the 3rd row who was standing there with her arms folded. I was stunned because Alive is the song that got me into Pearl Jam (saw the video on MTV) way back in 1991. She (or her ticket buddy) must have had incredible seniority to have 3rd row tickets at that show.
    Of course standing with her arms folded may just be the way she enjoys a concert. (There's an old stereotype about guitar players in the audience always doing that while watching another band).
  • Options
    Dercheef said:

JS38594 said:

JS38594 said:

Poncier said:

I

But it should be...
    why?
    we pay membersip per year
    THIS YEAR me and you paid the SAME MONEY
    why and how your money is different for this year than mine??
    same color the dollars mine and yours,same value for this year..same chances to score tickets
    AFTER and IF we both score tix..u get a better seat in the house cos u paid more years than mE..
    SYSTEM IN PERFECTION....
    The fan club itself places a value on member number. I think we can all agree on that. The lower the number, the longer you have been in the fan club. This is important. If this didn't exist, there would be no seniority argument and it would be a free-for-all. Because this does exist, we can debate how much value is placed on it.

By its very nature, the concept of seniority is dependent upon time. Meaning that it doesnt matter if you and I paid the same money THIS YEAR. I've been paying for the last 18 YEARS. In the context of seniority, how does 1 = 18?
    If you paid your membership for 18 straight years, then you you already got your benefit in those years while you were in the club. Period. Why you think you deserve something better because of this than any other member who paid their membership fee for 2016 is beyond me. Everyone who is an active member should be treated equally imo.
    Its called a benefit, you paid your dues all these years, you have seniority. It's a pretty basic concept, applied in many aspects of life.

They changed it up with lottery system, giving chance for new members to get seats up close, its all good. But long time members absolutely should get the better seats, outside of lottery seat winners. ABSOLUTELY.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2016
    pjalive21 said:

If I saw this and confirmed it was true I would put all the pretentious so called "fans" right in their place...when you try and become bigger than the band you need to get a life or reality check that no one is there to see those "fans", nor does the band give two craps if you are tired of hearing Evenflow a 100000x because they are going to rock that shit no matter what

there are so many people who would kill to be GA just once, like I was up until a few years ago in St. Louis when I was front and center in GA and rocked the hell out to Evenflow

**drops mic***....Done

100% agree
    I have heard this rumour before on the forum of this happening, makes me sick that people could/would do this.
    How awesome would it be if EV stopped playing and said "Kealy, lights"
    Music stops and he says (to the backs that are turned) "Hey fuckers, I still stand.... time for you to leave assholes"

Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192

pjalive21 said:

**drops mic***....Done

100% agree
    I have heard this rumour before on the forum of this happening, makes me sick that people could/would do this.
    Music stops and he says (to the backs that are turned) "He fuckers, I still stand.... time for you to leave assholes"

this is what i do when you post, dude!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Been to many a show, have never seen nor heard of this. I think its a rumor spread by the newbies hoping they'll do away with seniority. :).

Not gonna happen. Sorry folks, they mixed it up with the lottery (row 1/2 and rows 10/11) but to completely do away with their long standing seniority system is never going to happen.

• Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329

Been to many a show, have never seen nor heard of this. I think its a rumor spread by the newbies hoping they'll do away with seniority. :).

Not gonna happen. Sorry folks, they mixed it up with the lottery (row 1/2 and rows 10/11) but to completely do away with their long standing seniority system is never going to happen.

Agree. Such a myth, unless there's a pic. Surely someone had a phone out and snapped a pic
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    ^^^
    Pics or it didn't happen.
  • Options
    subpoprockcitysubpoprockcity Posts: 241
    edited January 2016
    Yefa said:

I did see this though…
    I have yet to see this myself in person or anyone who's recorded it. Would love to see if this is actually the case, but I doubt it.

All those camera phones and not one pic?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Somebody probably took the story from U2 in Boston in 2001 and bastardized it to a PJ story,

The U2 story is 100% true, I was there. 2nd show at the Fleet Center (now TD Garden), being taped for DVD. (night before was taped for rehearsal). Folks had left night 1 early to get in GA line for night 2 to be up front for DVD. (I was in GA night 1 and saw a large group leave early, shocked but got that much closer to the Edge so I was fine with it) The afternoon of show 2, reps from either band or promoter or some entity came out to the line and pulled random folks from different parts of the line and allowed them inside early. I was waiting for a ticket drop and witnessed it. Folks at front of line were pissed. They theorized band wanted "beautiful people" to show up on the DVD, subsequent legend is band had no idea, but director was concerned about energy level up front cause folks at front of line looked like they had been up all night (they had). So during the show at one point the folks who were bypassed (I forget what song at the moment but its slightly visible on DVD) decided to sit down as a protest and create a "hole in the heart" (U2 had a heart shaped runway around GA area that tour).
    It bugged me cause it happened in my city but the culprits were travelers following the band (you know the types, many of you are the types).

So I bet this story somehow morphed into a musical urban legend and that's where the folks turning their backs during Evenflow story stems from.
  • Options
    Poncier said:

Somebody probably took the story from U2 in Boston in 2001 and bastardized it to a PJ story,

The U2 story is 100% true, I was there. 2nd show at the Fleet Center (now TD Garden), being taped for DVD. (night before was taped for rehearsal). Folks had left night 1 early to get in GA line for night 2 to be up front for DVD. (I was in GA night 1 and saw a large group leave early, shocked but got that much closer to the Edge so I was fine with it) The afternoon of show 2, reps from either band or promoter or some entity came out to the line and pulled random folks from different parts of the line and allowed them inside early. I was waiting for a ticket drop and witnessed it. Folks at front of line were pissed. They theorized band wanted "beautiful people" to show up on the DVD, subsequent legend is band had no idea, but director was concerned about energy level up front cause folks at front of line looked like they had been up all night (they had). So during the show at one point the folks who were bypassed (I forget what song at the moment but its slightly visible on DVD) decided to sit down as a protest and create a "hole in the heart" (U2 had a heart shaped runway around GA area that tour).
    It bugged me cause it happened in my city but the culprits were travelers following the band (you know the types, many of you are the types).

So I bet this story somehow morphed into a musical urban legend and that's where the folks turning their backs during Evenflow story stems from.

I'm sure U2 never gave it a second thought.
  • Options

pjalive21 said:

**drops mic***....Done

100% agree
    Music stops and he says (to the backs that are turned) "Hey fuckers, I still stand.... time for you to leave assholes"

This happened in Indio somewhat. "You fuckers have to leave, they're going to kick you out!"
    Another shoe got thrown at Ed and he walked off stage...
  • Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    JS38594 said:

Poncier said:

I

But it should be...
    Couldn't agree more. I think the history of seniority in 10c is irrelevant to future improvements. It's a straw man that people are hanging their hat on because they don't want seniority to be a factor. Funny thing is, it's the same people who thought the change to the lottery was good, history be damned. Just goes to show that people only care about what they perceive to be better for themselves.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,971
    Whatever did or didn't happen in the past, to me the most telling thing about seniority is how Eddie seems to view it. It has no impact at all on seating for his solo shows. Tickets are sold via lottery, seating is given out in random pockets around the arena. Our 10C number and/or tenure means nothing.

One story we know is true is Eddie losing it on some texting stiff-as-a-board fans in I believe Vancouver a few years ago. Pretty sure it was the last North American tour without GA at the front.

Speaks volumes to me.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840
    MG79478 said:

JS38594 said:

Poncier said:

I

But it should be...
    Couldn't agree more. I think the history of seniority in 10c is irrelevant to future improvements. It's a straw man that people are hanging their hat on because they don't want seniority to be a factor. Funny thing is, it's the same people who thought the change to the lottery was good, history be damned. Just goes to show that people only care about what they perceive to be better for themselves.
    Seniority gives you the best reserved seats.
    Am I missing something?