Options

Sean Penn's 'interview' with El Chapo

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    hedonist said:

PJ_Soul said:

Clint has mostly awful movies with some great hits.
    Keeps him relevant though.

I'd reverse that. He has mostly good movies with a handful of stinkers, IMO.
    Agreed. And I too admit to the long-time crush.

(thank goodness he bore no resemblance to my dad)

Had coffee with him at a golf/tennis place when I was around 15/16. Over the moon doesn't begin to describe how I felt!
    :scream:

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    PJ_Soul said:

hedonist said:

Leave Clint alone :angry:

Yeah. :angry::lol:

One weird thing about him: He looks EXACTLY like my dad now. They didn't look the same when they were both younger, but now that they're old, they could be twins! Slightly disturbing for me, actually, given that I have had a massive crush on Clint Eastwood all my life. :fearful:
    Hey I like Clint and he's smart guy. Old crusty and from jurrasic era but good dude though I don't agree with him on some stuff. My brother and brother in law hung out with him drinking whiskey few years ago. Not that this matters but fun rid bit. Now think Penns smarter. Ha
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Looks like Penn is now under somewhat recognition that he may have played with fire. He is doing a 60 Minutes interview to say he was in no way "essential" to El Chapo's capture, as Mexican officials have stated.

Hopefully for him, El Chapo has access to US cable TV in the pokey.
  • Options
    Think chappo knows Penn didn't rat him out.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    Ever since I saw as much of Tree of Life as I could tolerate, I've wished nothing but death for Sean Penn... worst movie ever. I wish Vedder would stop following him around like a little schoolgirl!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,587
    edited January 2016
    pjtaper said:

Ever since I saw as much of Tree of Life as I could tolerate, I've wished nothing but death for Sean Penn... worst movie ever. I wish Vedder would stop following him around like a little schoolgirl!

That is pretty fucking extreme, don't you think?? You've wished nothing but death for him because you hated one of his movies?? Huh? I guess you must be exaggerating, but perhaps find a better way to express yourself, since wishing death upon someone shouldn't be taken lightly.
    I agree that Tree of Life was a pretentious piece of shit though. I mean seriously, what the FUCK were they thinking?? And it was nominated for best picture FFS. I was flabbergasted.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    callen said:

Think chappo knows Penn didn't rat him out.

Don't know. He didn't even know who Penn was and was more interested in the mamacita actress.

Chapos lawyers are saying what Penn printed are all lies, so that's not helping Penn out much either. The Mexican government pointing Penn out as a contributing factor as well as Penn printing El Chapo's admissions of crimes (which has never done in the past) ... well, let's just say I'm glad I'm not Sean Penn.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Tree of Life is a cinematic masterpiece.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    pjtaper said:

YIKES

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
  • Options
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited January 2016
    dankind said:

.... Are you being sarcastic? It was artsy-fartsy garbage.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,809
    edited January 2016
    So last night I heard that Mr. Penn did the El Chapo interview, so that people would discuss, and debate, the "War on Drugs".

What exactly is Mr. Penn's viewpoint on the "War on Drugs"?
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    edited January 2016

So last night I heard that Mr. Penn did the El Chapo interview, so that people would discuss, and debate, the "War on Drugs".

I don't know, but don't most people think it's a total joke that causes way way more problems that it solves? I would assume that's Penn's opinion too. I mean, it's the "war on drugs" that allowed El Chapo to reach that status that he did. If it weren't for the "war on drugs", none of us would even know who he is.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

dankind said:

Not at all sarcastic. Tree of Life ranks up there with 2001: A Space Odyssey (same FX) and Mulholland Drive as gorgeous cinematic mindbenders.

Also, in my experience, phrases such as "pretentious piece of shit" and "artsy-fartsy garbage" are generally reactionary statements that could often be replaced with "I don't get it" -- that is, if the one uttering the phrase can suppress one's ego for a few seconds and realize that it doesn't speak to one's intelligence but rather one's aesthetic preference and/or taste.

I speak from experience, having uttered similar phrases about Radiohead for years before finally realizing I sounded like an asshole. I just don't get Radiohead. Wish I did. But I just can't get into them.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options

his viewpoint on the war on drugs is this (also posted in the link above):

Let's go to the big picture of what we all want," Penn said. "We all want this drug problem to stop. We all want them -- the killings in Chicago to stop. We are the consumer. Whether you agree with Sean Penn or not, there is a complicity there. And if you are in the moral right, or on the far left, just as many of your children are doing these drugs."

basically what he's saying is what we all know: if there is demand, someone will supply it. if you want there to be gangs and shootings and the like, sure, make all drugs illegal. if not, let's do something about it; put the gangs and kingpins out of business.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dankind said:

PJ_Soul said:

dankind said:

Not at all sarcastic. Tree of Life ranks up there with 2001: A Space Odyssey (same FX) and Mulholland Drive as gorgeous cinematic mindbenders.

Also, in my experience, phrases such as "pretentious piece of shit" and "artsy-fartsy garbage" are generally reactionary statements that could often be replaced with "I don't get it" -- that is, if the one uttering the phrase can suppress one's ego for a few seconds and realize that it doesn't speak to one's intelligence but rather one's aesthetic preference and/or taste.

I speak from experience, having uttered similar phrases about Radiohead for years before finally realizing I sounded like an asshole. I just don't get Radiohead. Wish I did. But I just can't get into them.
    agreed. (although I do love the non-bleeps and bloops Radiohead).
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    Dankind, you make a rational response to a foolish comment passing judgement on something you enjoyed. (Foolish because as we know one man's garbage is another man's gold.) You sir, are what we all should aim to be.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,754

Dankind, you make a rational response to a foolish comment passing judgement on something you enjoyed. (Foolish because as we know one man's garbage is another man's gold.) You sir, are what we all should aim to be.

Get a room!
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options

Get a room!
    He's got one already ... and you're not invited!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,754
    dankind said:

Get a room!
    He's got one already ... and you're not invited!
    Mean Boy!
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761

No talk about how the article is also fucking terrible and offers almost no insight into the guy?

Here you go . . . The article is in fact fucking terrible, as in the *actual writing* is laugh-out-loud, embarrassingly amateur. That alone reveals Penn as a moron in my view . . . never mind that I also find him to be an over-rated actor and annoying as a celebrity in general. I can't think of any movie that I liked with him in it. I enjoyed Into the Wild, but McCandliss ultimately created that story, not Penn. He just made it look pretty.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    dankind said:

PJ_Soul said:

dankind said:

Lol. No dude. I get it (that is condescending of you to suggest that actually. The movie and it's style isn't hard to get - sorry it bugs me when people say "you just don't get it" when someone says they don't like something). I know art, I enjoy art, I know a lot about it, and i understand it. This has nothing to do with my ego (well not until you suggested I think it's artsy garbage because I don't get it, lol). I just hated this movie. I think it's awful. And the fact that the kid in it is so outrageously unlikeable that I was actually poignantly glad when he died. Sometimes, although rarely, art really is just pretentious crap, like a failed, somewhat insincere attempt at true creativity, and this is that time IMO. I have honestly never said that about any other movie in my life, nor any music for that matter. Tree of Life is a real standout for me when it comes to bad art film.
    Radiohead is awesome though, and 2001: A Space Odyssey and Mulholland Drive are both excellent too.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

dankind said:

PJ_Soul said:

dankind said:

Lol. No dude. I get it (that is condescending of you to suggest that actually. The movie and it's style isn't hard to get - sorry it bugs me when people say "you just don't get it" when someone says they don't like something). I know art, I enjoy art, I know a lot about it, and i understand it. This has nothing to do with my ego (well not until you suggested I think it's artsy garbage because I don't get it, lol). I just hated this movie. I think it's awful. And the fact that the kid in it is so outrageously unlikeable that I was actually poignantly glad when he died. Sometimes, although rarely, art really is just pretentious crap, like a failed, somewhat insincere attempt at true creativity, and this is that time IMO. I have honestly never said that about any other movie in my life, nor any music for that matter. Tree of Life is a real standout for me when it comes to bad art film.
    Radiohead is awesome though, and 2001: A Space Odyssey and Mulholland Drive are both excellent too.
    No worries, buddy. To clarify, though, if you had just said that you didn't like it, I wouldn't have said that it's because you don't get it. Instead, you took a dump on a work of art, even if you don't consider it as such (or consider it a failure).

And perhaps "it doesn't click/resonate with you" is better than saying "you don't get it," especially to an academic :wink: , so that's on me.

FWIW: Tree of Life has an 84% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and an 85% rating on Metacritic (plus the Oscar nod), so it's not as widely panned as a lot of folks believe it to be. And the only place it really failed (other than in some viewers' opinions) was at the box office.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2016
    Anyone else feel his article "failed"? "Journalists who want to say that I'm not a journalist — well, I want to see the license that says that they're a journalist,"
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/el-chapo-i-knew-risk-meeting-sean-penn-says-n498456
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    I thought he was good on 60 minutes last night. I liked how he was honest about his journalist abilities.

No talk about how the article is also fucking terrible and offers almost no insight into the guy?

Here you go . . . The article is in fact fucking terrible, as in the *actual writing* is laugh-out-loud, embarrassingly amateur. That alone reveals Penn as a moron in my view . . . never mind that I also find him to be an over-rated actor and annoying as a celebrity in general. I can't think of any movie that I liked with him in it. I enjoyed Into the Wild, but McCandliss ultimately created that story, not Penn. He just made it look pretty.
    Watch All the Kings men. It was about Huey P Long. Good movie.
  • Options

I thought he was good on 60 minutes last night. I liked how he was honest about his journalist abilities.

Yeah think it was good interview. Charlie was great as always. He did push hard. Think Penn knows this wasn't his finest work/desision but didn't pass up opportunity and it did take some cajones to actually go.

Tree of Life?? I didn't get it and hated it. It could be due to not understanding. May try again.
  • Options
    dankind said:

PJ_Soul said:

dankind said:

PJ_Soul said:

dankind said:

No worries, buddy. To clarify, though, if you had just said that you didn't like it, I wouldn't have said that it's because you don't get it. Instead, you took a dump on a work of art, even if you don't consider it as such (or consider it a failure).

And perhaps "it doesn't click/resonate with you" is better than saying "you don't get it," especially to an academic :wink: , so that's on me.

FWIW: Tree of Life has an 84% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and an 85% rating on Metacritic (plus the Oscar nod), so it's not as widely panned as a lot of folks believe it to be. And the only place it really failed (other than in some viewers' opinions) was at the box office.
    Yeah, the ratings shock me, lol. You are actually the first person I have ever discussed it with who liked it. ;) But FTR, I absolutely do consider it a work of art. Of course it is - all film is. I just think it's a shitty work of art, lol! I don't think I would ever call art a "failure", but I am definitely happy to say whether I think it sucks or not! But that said, always, it's subjective.
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761

Saw it. Didn't like it. Read the book multiple times and did not enjoy the adaptation. To each his own.
  • Options

Saw it. Didn't like it. Read the book multiple times and did not enjoy the adaptation. To each his own.
    Are you familiar with Huey Long and what he did? I loved it (movie) but if you don't like it then I can't argue with that.