Options

Sean Penn's 'interview' with El Chapo

Comments

• Options

I like Chris Penn as well. And Michael Penn's "No Myth" is one of my favorite songs of all time. And he's married to Aimee Mann who I also adore. Seems like a pretty good group of brothers to me.

I like Penn & Teller...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,589
    edited January 2016
    dankind said:

For the record: Clint Eastwood directed Mystic River.

Sean has a long way to go before he's that good.

Oh right, thanks. Duh, I knew that. Clint makes amazing movies. But anyway, Penn is great in that movie. Do I ever bawl in the "Is that my daughter in there?!" scene. :bawling:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    the el chapo shirt
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Don't care that Eddie is friends with him, Penn is the liberal equivalent of Ted Nugent and Kirk Cameron. He's an arrogant douche.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623

I like Chris Penn as well. And Michael Penn's "No Myth" is one of my favorite songs of all time. And he's married to Aimee Mann who I also adore. Seems like a pretty good group of brothers to me.

Loved her background vocals on Time Stand Still by Rush.
  • Options

Don't care that Eddie is friends with him, Penn is the liberal equivalent of Ted Nugent and Kirk Cameron. He's an arrogant douche.

I don't understand how you can compare him to Kirk Cameron or Ted Nugent. Those two are fanatics. Sean Penn isn't a fanatic. Where is the connection?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    I would say Sean Penn is the left equivalent of Clint Eastwood.
  • Options

Loved her background vocals on Time Stand Still by Rush.
    Indeed. I was hoping they would have her on the R40 tour last year.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

Ah cept penn is smart. And mostly on correct side of issues.

Just see a lot of envy and jealousy.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

Absolutely. That was more of a downplay in response to the Kirk Cameron/Ted Nugent comment. Eastwood is a great man, well respected in Hollywood (and beyond), just a little narrow-minded when it comes to political views. Like Sean Penn, I really like Eastwood as an actor & director. I might not agree with everything he stands for, but I'm not going to have this vigilant stance against him and called him a douche or piece of shit or any of the other descriptors that have been thrown at Sean Penn in this thread.
  • Options
    callen said:

?? Clint Eastwood is brilliant. Yeah, his politics are very old man and right wing, but he's incredibly smart.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

?? Clint Eastwood is brilliant. Yeah, his politics are very old man and right wing, but he's incredibly smart.
    I'm not saying he's not, but how could you possibly know how smart he is?

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

I'm not saying he's not, but how could you possibly know how smart he is?

Because a person has to be smart to do what he does the way he does it, of course.
  • Options
    a person can be good at their art without being brilliant. in my opinion.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

Exhibit A

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Sure, to a point I guess, but I don't think that applies to Clint Eastwood. Eastwood has, IMO, demonstrated that he has an pretty extraordinary mind. I don't understand why anyone would think he's not smart. I am pretty surprised to see anyone debating it. Do you think he's not smart?? If so, why? What has he done to suggest that?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Sure, to a point I guess, but I don't think that applies to Clint Eastwood. Eastwood has, IMO, demonstrated that he has an pretty extraordinary mind. I don't understand why anyone would think he's not smart. I am pretty surprised to see anyone debating it. Do you think he's not smart?? If so, why? What has he done to suggest that?
    I didn't say I didn't think he wasn't smart. I have no clue if he is or not. you stated it was "obvious" that he is "brilliant". I don't think it's obvious at all. I think he can be brilliant at his art, but be a guy who talks to an empty chair in real life.

I think it's obvious that Stephen Hawkin and Neil de grasse Tyson are brilliant. But Eastwood? haven't heard anything brilliant (intellectually) out of him as of yet.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited January 2016

PJ_Soul said:

I didn't say I didn't think he wasn't smart. I have no clue if he is or not. you stated it was "obvious" that he is "brilliant". I don't think it's obvious at all. I think he can be brilliant at his art, but be a guy who talks to an empty chair in real life.

I think it's obvious that Stephen Hawkin and Neil de grasse Tyson are brilliant. But Eastwood? haven't heard anything brilliant (intellectually) out of him as of yet.

Okay. I think it's really really obvious, lol. Sounds like you don't know as much about him as I do maybe?? I just don't understand how anyone could know what he's done and then say, "well, that doesn't mean he's smart." Doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    smart and brilliant are different words. smart? sure, I mean, he probably is. but you stated he is BRILLIANT.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

smart and brilliant are different words. smart? sure, I mean, he probably is. but you stated he is BRILLIANT.

I stated that he is both brilliant AND smart, actually. Yes, he's brilliant. He's Clint Eastwood for crying out loud, lol.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    He did have a conversation with a empty chair...
  • Options
    edited January 2016

He did have a conversation with a empty chair...

Brilliant, smart people can still do dumb shit.
    That chair conversation was cringe-worthy for sure.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Leave Clint alone :angry:
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    hedonist said:

Leave Clint alone :angry:

Yeah. :angry::lol:

One weird thing about him: He looks EXACTLY like my dad now. They didn't look the same when they were both younger, but now that they're old, they could be twins! Slightly disturbing for me, actually, given that I have had a massive crush on Clint Eastwood all my life. :fearful:
  • Options
    Clint has mostly awful movies with some great hits.
    Keeps him relevant though.
  • Options

I'd reverse that. He has mostly good movies with a handful of stinkers, IMO.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    PJ_Soul said:

I'd reverse that. He has mostly good movies with a handful of stinkers, IMO.
    Agreed. And I too admit to the long-time crush.

(thank goodness he bore no resemblance to my dad)

Had coffee with him at a golf/tennis place when I was around 15/16. Over the moon doesn't begin to describe how I felt!
  • Options
    Well since I rarely go off topic let's get back to Penn.
    Not sure would call him a journalist but am quite sure a movie or Netflix thing is coming out and will be good.
    Hey OP thanks for the AMT thread!