Options

Colorado Springs Terrorist Attack

124»

Comments

• Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682

hedonist said:

Ident's no troll, that's for sure.

A piece I watched earlier reminded me of Black Friday.

Your late chiming makes no sense.
    "Enough with the troll shit please" was referring to myself being called a troll.
    Contribute to the convo or chime somewhere else.
    Your rudeness makes no sense, nor does your fixation with so-called 'late chiming', a concept of your own creation which I find rather grating. I don't think it's your place to say when people may choose to contribute to the conversation or to judge the value of their contribution on such a ridiculous basis.
  • Options

hedonist said:

"Enough with the troll shit please" was referring to myself being called a troll.
    Your rudeness makes no sense, nor does your fixation with so-called 'late chiming', a concept of your own creation which I find rather grating. I don't think it's your place to say when people may choose to contribute to the conversation or to judge the value of their contribution on such a ridiculous basis.
    Not sure how your personal opinion about me contributes to the thread topic.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    It pretty much echoes many other thoughts that it's neither surprising nor fucked up, in lack of initial response, although I completely understand where ND was coming from.

Sometimes people just don't have the energy or words to "chime in" until they want or are able. Many a time I've written something out and felt it didn't properly articulate what I wanted to say.

Never thought a sentence inserted would have an impact for anyone here. Sorry, and just breathe! It'll all be OK.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

hedonist said:

Tell you what. Don't worry so much about my timing or chiming. Your post appeared to say otherwise, but fine.

Observing the vulture-like behavior I saw is contributing by my own definition.

(FYI, if you're drinking tonight and looking to be the angry drunk, please remove the Mod cape, find an outlet elsewhere or take it to PM. Don't want to sully the OP's thread).

Brian, thank you for your kind words...and now I feel like that old commercial where someone's about to give a stock tip in a restaurant and everyone hushes and listens (remember that one?). That ain't me =)
    Is E F Hutton a thing anymore?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Ah! I couldn't think of the name.

Thirty, you have restored my faith in those who remember those old commercials.

(and no, not even close to a thing!)
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Hope I don't get my hand slapped for "late-chiming," but I saw the "journalist" stuff today and I thought it was awful. MSNBC issued an apology. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nbc-live-tv-images-san-bernardino-shooting-suspects_5661d3bce4b072e9d1c5f047

I'm glad they did. (Not that it's gonna change anything.) Thanks, dankind, for the links to other news sources.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    Yeah really thanks Dankind for the links good stuff
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,630

ldent42 said:

dankind said:

ldent42 said:

The wires? Like aP?

mickeyrat said:

dankind said:

Mickey, I could, but I think that you, PJ_Soul, Brian and Hedo are all smart enough to separate the wheat (journalism) from the chaff (infotainment). I assume that you and Hedo were talking about the latter, since you used the catch-all term "media" and it seemed as though Hedo was taking about the local TV news. PJ_Soul and Brian used the term "journalists," though, and that is a disservice to a noble, honorable, important profession without which our world would be much worse off than it is already.

(If you honestly don't know where to find news that is reported with integrity, I'll pm you some links. I didn't want to insult your intelligence by taking you seriously when it seemed as though you were being sarcastic.)

So much clickbait "journalism "

I drive a truck. Off time while on the road doesnt leave as much time for me to seek more accurate journalism out as others might otherwise have. Would love to be better informed than I am able to be now.So absolutely pm the sites. Would be greatly appreciated .

Longing for the first to be accurate kind of pieces even if it means waiting (egads) while facts are gathered and disseminated. As opposed to the first to get a like with teaser openings that are more editorial in nature. Its on me , but my primary access to news orgs is via adbook.
    Yeah, ldent42, like AP. Mickey and ldent42, the wires are the best sources of BS-free/just-the-facts news by journalists "in the trenches" (sometimes literally): AP Big Story (http://bigstory.ap.org), Reuters (http://www.reuters.com), and Agence France-Presse (http://www.afp.com/en/news/) are my big three. Dow Jones Newswires (sub required) still has some value as well, despite what many think. Tass (http://tass.ru/en) for Russia and Xinhua (http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/mobile/index.htm) for China, but I take that reporting with a grain of salt since it's likely been run through institutional and governmental censors. Yonhap (http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr) for Korea is solid for China and Asia.

Other US news sites that I read are affiliated with newspapers that everybody else reads. I won't mention those here because although they all have fantastic reporting, they also do things like back political candidates, which is a demerit, imho.

For international news, as I mentioned, the wires for Russia and China are heavily censored, and the papers/websites are highly opinionated. The same can be said for most Middle Eastern news agencies and newspapers/websites. I have my go-tos for all regions, but they are politicized so I wouldn't recommend them here. I generally just try to stick with the big three.

For thread integrity, there are so many reasons why the terrorist attack on a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs, Colo., didn't receive much public attention, and it has nothing to do with journalism or media coverage. The journalists had it covered, and the sensationalists dug into all the angles similar to what they do for all these types of incidents. The audience just didn't respond, so it gets pushed off the cycle. All the reasons that I can think of for the public citizenry's willful ignorance are deplorable and/or terrifying.
    I realize this is OT since it's actually about the SB shooting but it reminded me @dankind 's words on journalistic integrity.

http://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2015/12/what-the-hell-just-happened-on-msnbc/418893/?utm_source=SFTwitter
    What the Hell Just Happened on MSNBC and CNN?
    A baffling, surreal scene just played out on the two networks, where the landlord of the San Bernardino shooting suspects apparently allowed reporters into their apartment.

The result was disturbing. On live national television, reporters sifted through the remains of the lives of Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik. They picked over children’s toys. They held up photos, speculating about whether the woman depicted in one might be Malik. They displayed Social Security cards and driver’s licenses with readily identifiable information—and not just for the deceased suspects:
    How is this even remotely close to being disturbing?
    WTF?

Lol. Yeah, I agree. I didn't find it disturbing. It was kind of weird. That's about it. And if it was illegal, then they should be charged. If it wasn't illegal, I don't care at all.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,630

hedonist said:

Yeah, I have no clue where you got this late-chiming concept either. It's not a thing, FYI! No one thinks there is anything wrong with it except you! I have actually never, since the beginning of the internet, seen anyone besides you bring it up.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata