Options

Colorado Springs Terrorist Attack

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:

Major news media would love nothing more than to have a juicy gory new news item everyday. :frowning:

We can do the innuendo, we can dance and sing
    When it's said and done we haven't told you a thing
    We all know that crap is king
    Give us dirty laundry
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,896
    brianlux said:

Major news media would love nothing more than to have a juicy gory new news item everyday. :frowning:

nature of 24/7 news cycles. the one "big' event gets speculated to death, the actual truth gets buried in between the lines.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

brianlux said:

nature of 24/7 news cycles. the one "big' event gets speculated to death, the actual truth gets buried in between the lines.
    So does this comment from your political guy Mike Huckabee "There's no excuse for killing other people, whether it's happening inside the Planned Parent headquarters, inside their clinics, where many millions of babies die, or whether it's people attacking Planned Parenthood," Huckabee said on CNN's "State of the Union." from this article http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/threats-are-nothing-new-for-planned-parenthood-insiders-say-1.2679350 bury any truth or has this whole domestic terrorism spectacle become political now.
    This shooting is now forgotten and is producing new headlines.
    In a nutshell who is the Huckabee guy? Seems like a dick to me.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

mickeyrat said:

brianlux said:

So does this comment from your political guy Mike Huckabee "There's no excuse for killing other people, whether it's happening inside the Planned Parent headquarters, inside their clinics, where many millions of babies die, or whether it's people attacking Planned Parenthood," Huckabee said on CNN's "State of the Union." from this article http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/threats-are-nothing-new-for-planned-parenthood-insiders-say-1.2679350 bury any truth or has this whole domestic terrorism spectacle become political now.
    This shooting is now forgotten and is producing new headlines.
    In a nutshell who is the Huckabee guy? Seems like a dick to me.
    Huckabee is a former preacher/govenor of arkansas now running for president. He was one of the "outraged" gop hucksters slamming PP and stood with Kim Davis of county clerk fame in a selfserving political move. He is a fucking douchebag.

Now he makes this statement while also peddling the idea of sending troops into Syria which would result in killing american soldiers and even more innocents. He would seek to close the borders to any refugee.

whats now known or been released is the civilian victims. A Mother of 2 and a male Iraqi war veteran. Both said to be there offering support for friends.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,630
    hedonist said:

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

There has been some discussion in the America. Gun Violence thread. I said it was terrorism and might need it's own thread...there was some agreement there.
    It hasn't been ignored, but it is sad that we are so desensitized to mass shootings that they don't get a big reaction any!more

Unless a Muslim does it. :neutral:
    PJ, no. I think sick fucks are sick fucks.
    I know, I wasn't talking about you of course. I wasn't talking about anyone here specifically. Was just a general comment about widespread reactions.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

There has been some discussion in the America. Gun Violence thread. I said it was terrorism and might need it's own thread...there was some agreement there.
    It hasn't been ignored, but it is sad that we are so desensitized to mass shootings that they don't get a big reaction any!more

Unless a Muslim does it. :neutral:
    the following list is of all islamist terrorist attacks for the last three months. I think this why people have such a huge reaction to this. Also don't forget, the biggest terrorist attack in the united states was by muslim extremists. Fourteen years later a lot of people still can't forget that terrible day.
    Nigeria September 10, 2015 - Explosion at a refugee camp for people fleeing Boko Haram kills at least 2.[145]
    Iraq September 17, 2015 – Two suicide bombings in Baghdad killed 10 and injured 55. ISIL claims responsibility.[146]
    Germany September 17, 2015 – An Islamist of Iraqi descent attacked and injured a police officer with a knife in Berlin. 1 injured, 1 dead (perpetrator).[147]
    Nigeria September 21, 2015 - At least 54 people were killed by multiple explosions in Nigeria.[148]
    Yemen September 24, 2015 – A bomb attack on a Shia mosque in Sana'a killed 25 and injured dozens more during prayers for the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha. Claimed by ISIL.[149]
    BangladeshItaly September 29, 2015 – Three men on a motorbike shot and killed an Italian aid worker. The attack has been claimed by ISIL.[150]
    Nigeria October 1, 2015 – Multiple suicide bombings by Boko Haram in North-East Nigeria killed 14 people (including the bombers) and injured 39.[151]
    Israel October 1, 2015 – Gunmen opened fire on a car near Nablus on the northern West Bank, killing a man and woman. 4 of their 6 children were also in the car and witnessed the attack, but were uninjured. The attackers have been praised by Hamas.[152][153]
    Australia October 2, 2015 – 2015 Parramatta shooting. A NSW Police Force civilian employee was shot dead outside NSW Police Force headquarters on Charles Street, Parramatta, Sydney by a 15-year old lone gunman. The gunman then engaged with NSW Police Special Constables in a shootout before being killed, 2 dead.[154]
    BangladeshJapan October 3, 2015 – A Japanese man was shot and killed in a similar fashion to an Italian aid worker killed 4 days earlier. The attack has been claimed by ISIL.[155]
    Iraq October 3, 2015 – In Baghdad, two suicide bombings in Shiite majority neighbourhoods kill at least 18 people and injure 61. Attack claimed by ISIL.[156]
    Afghanistan October 5, 2015 – Two suicide bombings in Kabul targeted an Afghan intelligence centre. 3 people were injured in the attack, claimed by the Taliban.[157][158]
    Somalia October 7, 2015 – Militants of Al-Shabaab ambushed and killed the nephew of Somalia's president, Hassan Sheikh Mohamud. 2 dead.[159]
    Turkey October 10, 2015 - In the 2015 Ankara bombings 102 people were killed and over 400 others injured. According to two high ranked sources in the Turkish security forces ISIL is most likely responsible.[160][161]
    Chad October 10, 2015 – Multiple suicide bombings in Chad killed 33 people and injured 51. The attack is believed to be the work of Boko Haram.[162]
    AfghanistanUnited Kingdom October 11, 2015 – A bomb attack in Kabul, targeting a British military convoy injured 7 Afghan civilians. The attack has been claimed by the Taliban.[163]
    Nigeria October 22, 2015 – 20 people were killed in the northeast state of Borno, Nigeria in a Boko Haram attack.[164]
    Nigeria October 23, 2015 – Two separate mosques were attacked by suicide bombers, killing 42 in Nigeria.[165]
    Niger October 28, 2015 - Boko Haram militants attack a village in Niger, gunning down 13 people and allegedly burning down houses and cars during the rampage.[166]
    EgyptRussia October 31, 2015 – Bomb on board a Russian jet brings it down in Sinai, bound for St Petersburg, killing 224 people.[167]
    Lebanon November 12, 2015 – Twin suicide bombings kill 42 people in the capital city of Beirut.[168]
    France November 13, 2015 – A series of terrorist attacks in Paris kill 136, and wound 352. They involved a series of coordinated attacks which consisted of mass shootings and suicide bombings. This incident was the most fatal event on French soil since World War II.[169]
    Iraq November 13, 2015 - A Suicide bomber kills at least 21 at a Shia funeral.[170]
    PhilippinesMalaysia November 17, 2015 – A Malaysian national is beheaded by Abu Sayyaf in the southern Philippines.[171]
    Nigeria November 17, 2015 – A suicide attack at a market in Yola killed more than 30 people and hospitalised more than 80. The attack is thought to be the work of Boko Haram.[172]
    France November 18, 2015 – A Jewish history teacher was stabbed in the arm and leg by three Islamists in Marseille.[173]
    Bosnia and Herzegovina November 18, 2015 – A lone wolf Islamist killed two soldiers and injured civilians. 3 dead 5 wounded.[174]
    Nigeria November 18, 2015 – Two explosions rock a phone market in Kano killing at least 15 people and injuring more than 100. Boko Haram is suspected to be behind it.[175]
    Mali November 20, 2015 – Bamako hotel attack. Gunmen yelling "Allahu Akbar" storm a hotel in Bamako, Mali. At least 19 killed, and more than 160 were taken hostage.
    Iraq November 20, 2015 - A Suicide bomber detonates inside a Shiite mosque killing 10 people, other bombings in the area killed another 5 people.[176]
    Cameroon November 21, 2015 – Suicide bombers affiliated with Boko Haram kill at least 10 in northern Cameroon.[177]
    Tunisia November 24, 2015 - At least 12 people were killed in a bus bombing in Tunis, the capital of Tunisia. ISIS claimed responsibility for this attack that targeted a bus transporting members of the Presidential Guard. [178]
    Egypt November 24, 2015 – In the November 2015 Sinai attack which occurred a day after the second round of parliamentary elections closed, militants attack a hotel housing election judges in the provincial capital of al-Arish in Egypt's North Sinai. 7 dead, 10+ wounded[179]
    Nigeria November 27, 2015 – 21 killed in Boko Haram suicide attack on a Shia procession in Nigeria[180]
    what do any of those events have to do with the terrorism on our shores perpetrated by our people that have nothing to do with islam?
    I was responding to pjsouls comment about how a Muslim killing people will spread like wild fire. Then I showed examples of Muslim extremists killing people across the globe and how 9/11 still resonates with Americans.
    I would agree with her statement. a muslim killing people HERE would spark outrage and be on everyones lips. She can certainly verify if this is true , but I do believe that is what she referred to. an event IN the US.
    Yes, that is what I meant.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Absolutely. I feel like I can see the glee sparkling in the jounalists' eyes when some terrible event that is cause for blanket breaking news happens. They are practically salivating.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,761
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

Absolutely. I feel like I can see the glee sparkling in the jounalists' eyes when some terrible event that is cause for blanket breaking news happens. They are practically salivating.
    Absolutely! And the thing is, the more Pavlovian the news, the more people want to eat it up-- devour it even. Thanks to some of these eager beaver journalists (with no offense toward those who try to report news as accurately as possible), an event such as a tragic loss of life through violence becomes a Roman spectacle with thumbs going every which way and the reality of it often gets lost in the hoopla.

When I was a kid, I remember seeing this tradgic movie called "Ace in the Hole" (they actually called it "The Big Carnival" on TV) about a guy trapped in a mine and the reporters where so eager to keep the story they literally turned it into a circus. That really blew my mind. I wish every kid, when they're old enough for it, would see that one.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

callen said:

Oh thought of it But where to start? Gun control? Covered.
    Mass shootings? Covered.
    Abortion, yep.

If it's established guy did this as part of some religious calling, well then we can discuss the irony of all the Muslim terrorist slamming and see we have same shit here. But not yet as it hasn't been established.

Once established probably do one of my Callen posts to which Thirty will enjoy/comment.

Callen...

I enjoy every one of your comments on the topics you highlighted. It's when we begin to figure out what to do with these dipshits when I start to get agitated with your comments.

You wanna scratch their back and massage their feet- I want to throw them off a bridge sooo... we're pretty far apart there LOL!
    Thirty honored when you bring me up in your replies. Just been away for bit and catching up and see you referenced my posting style. All good.

DP still not defensible. :)
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Does every single thread in thread in this section have to bring up "Muslims"?

The first time I heard about this story, "planned parenthood, attacked" didn't even register as an actual shooting. There's been so much going on lately, with those videos and the lady in charge being questioned before the Senate committee or whatever the hell that was, the clinics being forced to close in Texas and Missouri, and the regular daily protests outside clinic doors. Planned parenthood has been under attack so long and so much lately that honestly it's a wonder we don't get mass shootings at planned parenthood clinics more often. Though, really, I suspect the dwindling number of clinics might be a factor in that.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

The first time I heard about this story, "planned parenthood, attacked" didn't even register as an actual shooting. There's been so much going on lately, with those videos and the lady in charge being questioned before the Senate committee or whatever the hell that was, the clinics being forced to close in Texas and Missouri, and the regular daily protests outside clinic doors. Planned parenthood has been under attack so long and so much lately that honestly it's a wonder we don't get mass shootings at planned parenthood clinics more often. Though, really, I suspect the dwindling number of clinics might be a factor in that.

We bumped up our support for Planned Parenthood this year. I get so tired of the abuse of this most helpful organization. A bunch of fundamentalist Christian yahoos have taken to gathering downtown with their anti-abortion posters. It's their right to assemble and I respect that but I don't respect their yelling their slogans at me and waving their Bibles at me every time I walk or drive by. Last time I drove by them and they yelled at me I yelled back, "Dinosaurs!" and just happened to have a Dinosaur Jr CD on and cranked it up a bit.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    just imagine if the shooter's name was "Mohammed"....
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

just imagine if the shooter's name was "Mohammed"....

Ah huh.

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Haha! Yes, funny Onion stuff as always but sad too because there's just that little hint of reality in the satire.

• Options
  • Options
    This one isn't a humorous article unfortunately, but it gives examples of previous attacks. I'm addressing (and thus retracting) my comment earlier in which I expressed surprise PP clinics aren't violently attacked more often. Turns out they are, but not to this extent, and without as much coverage. http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/565c83b4e4b08e945febc888?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

This one isn't a humorous article unfortunately, but it gives examples of previous attacks. I'm addressing (and thus retracting) my comment earlier in which I expressed surprise PP clinics aren't violently attacked more often. Turns out they are, but not to this extent, and without as much coverage. http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/565c83b4e4b08e945febc888?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

I know I've told this story before but one more time: My sister used to drive by a PP clinic on her way to work and one day she saw protesters aggressively harassing the employees attempting to go to work. She got out of her car and told them, "I'm going to go in there and write them a check for $100 and I'll do this every time I see you out here bullying these employees". Sure enough, the next day she wrote a check and the next and the next. I'm not sure how much she gave to this clinic but I know it was a lot. Eventually it worked and the protesters finally left for good. I was so proud of my sister!

• Options
    brianlux said:

ldent42 said:

I know I've told this story before but one more time: My sister used to drive by a PP clinic on her way to work and one day she saw protesters aggressively harassing the employees attempting to go to work. She got out of her car and told them, "I'm going to go in there and write them a check for $100 and I'll do this every time I see you out here bullying these employees". Sure enough, the next day she wrote a check and the next and the next. I'm not sure how much she gave to this clinic but I know it was a lot. Eventually it worked and the protesters finally left for good. I was so proud of my sister!
    That's really cool B-lux. Best part of it is, regardless of the actual amount of money she donated, the ultimate gift of getting those protesters to fuck off is in fact priceless. Good on her.

When I first learned about "clinic escorts" I wanted to volunteer to be one, but there isn't really a need for that around here. If for some god forsaken reason I end up living someplace where clinic escorts are necessary, I'll def sign up.
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

brianlux said:

ldent42 said:

That's really cool B-lux. Best part of it is, regardless of the actual amount of money she donated, the ultimate gift of getting those protesters to fuck off is in fact priceless. Good on her.

When I first learned about "clinic escorts" I wanted to volunteer to be one, but there isn't really a need for that around here. If for some god forsaken reason I end up living someplace where clinic escorts are necessary, I'll def sign up.
    Very cool! I didn't know about that.

• Options
    A new PP clinic is opening here in West Hollywood and it's all over the news. I can't imagine any kind of protests, let alone crime (two minutes from the Sheriff's Department), happening there. Yet the newsfolks are pre-emptively wringing their hands.

Jesus!
  • Options
    hedonist said:

A new PP clinic is opening here in West Hollywood and it's all over the news. I can't imagine any kind of protests, let alone crime (two minutes from the Sheriff's Department), happening there. Yet the newsfolks are pre-emptively wringing their hands.

Jesus!

In a lot of ways the media are vampires and enemies to the common good.

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    brianlux said:

ldent42 said:

Good for her. Certainly you should be allowed to protest but definitely not harrass.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

Absolutely! And the thing is, the more Pavlovian the news, the more people want to eat it up-- devour it even. Thanks to some of these eager beaver journalists (with no offense toward those who try to report news as accurately as possible), an event such as a tragic loss of life through violence becomes a Roman spectacle with thumbs going every which way and the reality of it often gets lost in the hoopla.

When I was a kid, I remember seeing this tradgic movie called "Ace in the Hole" (they actually called it "The Big Carnival" on TV) about a guy trapped in a mine and the reporters where so eager to keep the story they literally turned it into a circus. That really blew my mind. I wish every kid, when they're old enough for it, would see that one.
    mickeyrat said:

hedonist said:

Jesus!

Journalist (well, ex-journalist) backs out of thread before getting drawn and quartered by rapacious pitchfork-wielding know-it-alls (one of whom got that way by watching a movie).
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

mickeyrat said:

hedonist said:

Jesus!

Journalist (well, ex-journalist) backs out of thread before getting drawn and quartered by rapacious pitchfork-wielding know-it-alls (one of whom got that way by watching a movie).
  • Options
    dankind said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

mickeyrat said:

hedonist said:

Jesus!

Can you show me instances of journalistic integrity related to PP, this incident and the like?

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420

I give this story until Wednesday to disappear from the headlines. (Paris is virtually gone now)
    It will be replaced by another terrorist act abroad or domestically.
    It made good headlines and we got to see a mugshot of some crazy motherfucker who defines the mold for the DP.

That's what gets me. Stuff like this seems to get swept under the rug so quickly. Yet Nancy Grace spends 8 months talking about one child being killed by her mother.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Journalists and the news media have probs, but let's also remember that it's freedom of the press that is probably most responsible for keeping western politicians in some kind of check. We NEED journalists.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited December 2015
    Mickey, I could, but I think that you, PJ_Soul, Brian and Hedo are all smart enough to separate the wheat (journalism) from the chaff (infotainment). I assume that you and Hedo were talking about the latter, since you used the catch-all term "media" and it seemed as though Hedo was taking about the local TV news. PJ_Soul and Brian used the term "journalists," though, and that is a disservice to a noble, honorable, important profession without which our world would be much worse off than it is already.

(If you honestly don't know where to find news that is reported with integrity, I'll pm you some links. I didn't want to insult your intelligence by taking you seriously when it seemed as though you were being sarcastic.)
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    DK, definitely local news. I just want to know what's going on my area as I start the day (and they do toss in tiny slices of national and world news), but they're mostly a fucking vapid unprofessional lot.

As to your integrity, I know you've got it :)