Options

Colorado Springs Terrorist Attack

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,629
    dankind said:

Mickey, I could, but I think that you, PJ_Soul, Brian and Hedo are all smart enough to separate the wheat (journalism) from the chaff (infotainment). I assume that you and Hedo were talking about the latter, since you used the catch-all term "media" and it seemed as though Hedo was taking about the local TV news. PJ_Soul and Brian used the term "journalists," though, and that is a disservice to a noble, honorable, important profession without which our world would be much worse off than it is already.

(If you honestly don't know where to find news that is reported with integrity, I'll pm you some links. I didn't want to insult your intelligence by taking you seriously when it seemed as though you were being sarcastic.)

I find it pretty easy to separate the crap from the beneficial news, but the problem is not those who are able to do that. The problem is all of the people who can't or won't. I mean, let's look at the most obvious case: Fox News. That is presented as and considered by many many millions to be properly conducted news journalism by upstanding journalists. That is a BIG problem IMO. But come on, journalists with integrity or not, they are still often at the mercy of their editors. It's often not so much the journalist's work as it is what is reported and what isn't, or how much something is reported, and the tone of the reporting. That goes for print and TV reporting.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    PJ_Soul said:

dankind said:

Mickey, I could, but I think that you, PJ_Soul, Brian and Hedo are all smart enough to separate the wheat (journalism) from the chaff (infotainment). I assume that you and Hedo were talking about the latter, since you used the catch-all term "media" and it seemed as though Hedo was taking about the local TV news. PJ_Soul and Brian used the term "journalists," though, and that is a disservice to a noble, honorable, important profession without which our world would be much worse off than it is already.

(If you honestly don't know where to find news that is reported with integrity, I'll pm you some links. I didn't want to insult your intelligence by taking you seriously when it seemed as though you were being sarcastic.)

I find it pretty easy to separate the crap from the beneficial news, but the problem is not those who are able to do that. The problem is all of the people who can't or won't. I mean, let's look at the most obvious case: Fox News. That is presented as and considered by many many millions to be properly conducted news journalism by upstanding journalists. That is a BIG problem IMO. But come on, journalists with integrity or not, they are still often at the mercy of their editors. It's often not so much the journalist's work as it is what is reported and what isn't, or how much something is reported, and the tone of the reporting. That goes for print and TV reporting.
    I am an editor (print), and without us, you'd get fed a lot of bullshit that has not been verified yet. Sure it would get more clicks and sell more papers, but if an editor cannot verify, it ain't going in print.

This held true even at the most shitty news organizations where I worked.

Fox News/CNN/CNBC, hell, even WABC and KABC infotainers share agents with Hollywood actors. Maybe a handful of them (if that) went to J school.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I want links dankind. Having recommended news sources is never a bad thing.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ldent42 (and mickeyrat?), the most honest sources for breaking news are still the wires. They are human, and they do fuck up from time to time. But it's never because they are trying to push an agenda; it's usually because an editor hasn't looked at the story yet and the field journalist was given publishing privileges. It happens.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    The wires? Like aP?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,894
    edited December 2015
    dankind said:

So much clickbait "journalism "

I drive a truck. Off time while on the road doesnt leave as much time for me to seek more accurate journalism out as others might otherwise have. Would love to be better informed than I am able to be now.So absolutely pm the sites. Would be greatly appreciated .

Longing for the first to be accurate kind of pieces even if it means waiting (egads) while facts are gathered and disseminated. As opposed to the first to get a like with teaser openings that are more editorial in nature. Its on me , but my primary access to news orgs is via adbook.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,629
    dankind said:

PJ_Soul said:

dankind said:

I am an editor (print), and without us, you'd get fed a lot of bullshit that has not been verified yet. Sure it would get more clicks and sell more papers, but if an editor cannot verify, it ain't going in print.

This held true even at the most shitty news organizations where I worked.

Fox News/CNN/CNBC, hell, even WABC and KABC infotainers share agents with Hollywood actors. Maybe a handful of them (if that) went to J school.
    Sorry, I didn't mean that as an insult to editors (I also used to be one!). That depends on the editor, obviously. Some are good, some are scum, just like with most professions.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    ldent42 said:

The wires? Like aP?

mickeyrat said:

dankind said:

I drive a truck. Off time while on the road doesnt leave as much time for me to seek more accurate journalism out as others might otherwise have. Would love to be better informed than I am able to be now.So absolutely pm the sites. Would be greatly appreciated .

Longing for the first to be accurate kind of pieces even if it means waiting (egads) while facts are gathered and disseminated. As opposed to the first to get a like with teaser openings that are more editorial in nature. Its on me , but my primary access to news orgs is via adbook.
    Yeah, ldent42, like AP. Mickey and ldent42, the wires are the best sources of BS-free/just-the-facts news by journalists "in the trenches" (sometimes literally): AP Big Story (http://bigstory.ap.org), Reuters (http://www.reuters.com), and Agence France-Presse (http://www.afp.com/en/news/) are my big three. Dow Jones Newswires (sub required) still has some value as well, despite what many think. Tass (http://tass.ru/en) for Russia and Xinhua (http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/mobile/index.htm) for China, but I take that reporting with a grain of salt since it's likely been run through institutional and governmental censors. Yonhap (http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr) for Korea is solid for China and Asia.

Other US news sites that I read are affiliated with newspapers that everybody else reads. I won't mention those here because although they all have fantastic reporting, they also do things like back political candidates, which is a demerit, imho.

For international news, as I mentioned, the wires for Russia and China are heavily censored, and the papers/websites are highly opinionated. The same can be said for most Middle Eastern news agencies and newspapers/websites. I have my go-tos for all regions, but they are politicized so I wouldn't recommend them here. I generally just try to stick with the big three.

For thread integrity, there are so many reasons why the terrorist attack on a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs, Colo., didn't receive much public attention, and it has nothing to do with journalism or media coverage. The journalists had it covered, and the sensationalists dug into all the angles similar to what they do for all these types of incidents. The audience just didn't respond, so it gets pushed off the cycle. All the reasons that I can think of for the public citizenry's willful ignorance are deplorable and/or terrifying.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    OnWis97 said:
    Yes, OnWis, it is. And some of the worst we've produced domestically in some time. One giant step back.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dankind said:

ldent42 said:

The wires? Like aP?

mickeyrat said:

dankind said:

Yeah, ldent42, like AP. Mickey and ldent42, the wires are the best sources of BS-free/just-the-facts news by journalists "in the trenches" (sometimes literally): AP Big Story (http://bigstory.ap.org), Reuters (http://www.reuters.com), and Agence France-Presse (http://www.afp.com/en/news/) are my big three. Dow Jones Newswires (sub required) still has some value as well, despite what many think. Tass (http://tass.ru/en) for Russia and Xinhua (http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/mobile/index.htm) for China, but I take that reporting with a grain of salt since it's likely been run through institutional and governmental censors. Yonhap (http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr) for Korea is solid for China and Asia.

Other US news sites that I read are affiliated with newspapers that everybody else reads. I won't mention those here because although they all have fantastic reporting, they also do things like back political candidates, which is a demerit, imho.

For international news, as I mentioned, the wires for Russia and China are heavily censored, and the papers/websites are highly opinionated. The same can be said for most Middle Eastern news agencies and newspapers/websites. I have my go-tos for all regions, but they are politicized so I wouldn't recommend them here. I generally just try to stick with the big three.

For thread integrity, there are so many reasons why the terrorist attack on a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs, Colo., didn't receive much public attention, and it has nothing to do with journalism or media coverage. The journalists had it covered, and the sensationalists dug into all the angles similar to what they do for all these types of incidents. The audience just didn't respond, so it gets pushed off the cycle. All the reasons that I can think of for the public citizenry's willful ignorance are deplorable and/or terrifying.
    I realize this is OT since it's actually about the SB shooting but it reminded me @dankind 's words on journalistic integrity.

http://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2015/12/what-the-hell-just-happened-on-msnbc/418893/?utm_source=SFTwitter
    What the Hell Just Happened on MSNBC and CNN?
    A baffling, surreal scene just played out on the two networks, where the landlord of the San Bernardino shooting suspects apparently allowed reporters into their apartment.

The result was disturbing. On live national television, reporters sifted through the remains of the lives of Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik. They picked over children’s toys. They held up photos, speculating about whether the woman depicted in one might be Malik. They displayed Social Security cards and driver’s licenses with readily identifiable information—and not just for the deceased suspects:
  • Options
    Grossly irresponsible.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,986
    Jesus! Those are pretty deplorable actions, even for the media.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Gotta love that con logic of "Don't trample on my 2nd amendment rights but I can trample on your constitutional right to choose."
  • Options

Gotta love that con logic of "Don't trample on my 2nd amendment rights but I can trample on your constitutional right to choose."

I love that you've said that because I've been reading all day about the parallels. There's a democrat in Missouri that put a bill out there for a vote that put Missouri's restrictions on abortion recipients into gun-buying juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust to demonstrate how stupid this whole thing is.
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

dankind said:

ldent42 said:

The wires? Like aP?

mickeyrat said:

dankind said:

I realize this is OT since it's actually about the SB shooting but it reminded me @dankind 's words on journalistic integrity.

http://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2015/12/what-the-hell-just-happened-on-msnbc/418893/?utm_source=SFTwitter
    A baffling, surreal scene just played out on the two networks, where the landlord of the San Bernardino shooting suspects apparently allowed reporters into their apartment.

The result was disturbing. On live national television, reporters sifted through the remains of the lives of Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik. They picked over children’s toys. They held up photos, speculating about whether the woman depicted in one might be Malik. They displayed Social Security cards and driver’s licenses with readily identifiable information—and not just for the deceased suspects:
    How is this even remotely close to being disturbing?
    WTF?
  • Options

ldent42 said:

dankind said:

ldent42 said:

The wires? Like aP?

mickeyrat said:

dankind said:

How is this even remotely close to being disturbing?
    WTF?

you're joking right?
  • Options
    ^^^
    No I am not.
    People are upset about this? Almost as upset as the killings.
    Why is this upsetting people? (big eyeroll if the violated rights thing comes up)
    I really don't see what is wrong. The scene was returned back to the landlord. Whatever the landlord chooses to do after that is their choice.
    It is absolutely ridiculous that people are up in arms about this, to the point of having the press apologize.
  • Options
    Nat. Enquirer type reporting? Absolutely a problem.

• Options

^^^
    No I am not.
    Why is this upsetting people? (big eyeroll if the violated rights thing comes up)
    I really don't see what is wrong. The scene was returned back to the landlord. Whatever the landlord chooses to do after that is their choice.
    It is absolutely ridiculous that people are up in arms about this, to the point of having the press apologize.

No one is as upset about this as the killings I dunno where you're pulling that from.
    There's some dispute about whether the scene was cleared or not. Regardless it would be too soon for the FBI to be entirely "done" with the scene. The landlord disputes that he let the reporters in, says they 'charged' in, either way there's an issue there.
    The PRIMARY issue is that these 'journalists' took cameras into this apartment and started filming while rifling through these people's shit and published uncensored personal identity information (social security card?!?! HELLO) and not even the suspect's information. Going through kids' stuff?! I don't get how you don't see anything wrong with this. Unless you're just trolling which seems likely, in which case I shouldn't have responded. But I mean really. Common sense here, that shit is just wrong.
  • Options
    No journalistic value.

• Options
    ldent42 said:

^^^
    No I am not.

No one is as upset about this as the killings I dunno where you're pulling that from.
    There's some dispute about whether the scene was cleared or not. Regardless it would be too soon for the FBI to be entirely "done" with the scene. The landlord disputes that he let the reporters in, says they 'charged' in, either way there's an issue there.
    The PRIMARY issue is that these 'journalists' took cameras into this apartment and started filming while rifling through these people's shit and published uncensored personal identity information (social security card?!?! HELLO) and not even the suspect's information. Going through kids' stuff?! I don't get how you don't see anything wrong with this. Unless you're just trolling which seems likely, in which case I shouldn't have responded. But I mean really. Common sense here, that shit is just wrong.
    Go to this picture in this article and read the caption. http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/reporters-root-through-san-bernardino-shooters-apartment-on-live-tv-1.3351259

Using words like upset and disturbing get thrown around all the time, can even describe this attack, hell it was used to describe this whole business of reporters actions.

I fail to see why these actions are upsetting people. Whose info did they publish?
    Going through kids stuff? Who cares.
    It's just shit in a house people.
    Enough with the troll shit please.
    You asked a question and I answered.

• Options
    I care. That's who cares.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Nat. Enquirer type reporting? Absolutely a problem.

Not a problem if you just dismiss it as shit.
    Nat. Enquirer sells. (Think about that)
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Ident's no troll, that's for sure.

A piece I watched earlier reminded me of Black Friday.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    hedonist said:

Your late chiming makes no sense.
    "Enough with the troll shit please" was referring to myself being called a troll.
    Contribute to the convo or chime somewhere else.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options

hedonist said:

"Enough with the troll shit please" was referring to myself being called a troll.
    and then you wonder why i suspect you might be trolling. You don't gotta talk to people like that.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760

hedonist said:

Hey, no trolling here, buddy!

Just kidding!

No, really, I don't think anyone thinks Ident is a troll. And I don't think you are a troll, PJfan. I just think you just have a rather sharp cheddar style of humor.

As for Hedo, well, not to speak for her, but I think she has been wise to avoid some of the cantankerous and contentious scrapping that has been going down here lately. When Hedo does speak, it's a good idea to listen.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

hedonist said:

Tell you what. Don't worry so much about my timing or chiming. Your post appeared to say otherwise, but fine.

Observing the vulture-like behavior I saw is contributing by my own definition.

(FYI, if you're drinking tonight and looking to be the angry drunk, please remove the Mod cape, find an outlet elsewhere or take it to PM. Don't want to sully the OP's thread).

Brian, thank you for your kind words...and now I feel like that old commercial where someone's about to give a stock tip in a restaurant and everyone hushes and listens (remember that one?). That ain't me =)
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    hedonist said:

hedonist said:

Tell you what. Don't worry so much about my timing or chiming. Your post appeared to say otherwise, but fine.

Observing the vulture-like behavior I saw is contributing by my own definition.

(FYI, if you're drinking tonight and looking to be the angry drunk, please remove the Mod cape, find an outlet elsewhere or take it to PM. Don't want to sully the OP's thread).

Brian, thank you for your kind words...and now I feel like that old commercial where someone's about to give a stock tip in a restaurant and everyone hushes and listens (remember that one?). That ain't me =)
    What is your opinion about the thread topic currently at hand?
    edit - thread