Options

Vault 5 orders begin shipping today - UPDATED.

Comments

• Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,480

Upon first listen of the FLAC, I hope the vinyl sounds a lot better. :(

What's wrong with it?
    Upon second listen with headphones, it sounded better. But it sounds much more compressed compared to the Orpheum recording. The vocals are cranked up way too loud, in my opinion.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144

What's wrong with it?
    Upon second listen with headphones, it sounded better. But it sounds much more compressed compared to the Orpheum recording. The vocals are cranked up way too loud, in my opinion.
    Hmmm, well that is probably the 'mix' they are using for the vinyl but should be mastered to vinyl and well I hope.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

What's wrong with it?
    Should've used dubly.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,221

What's wrong with it?
    If the vocals are cranked higher than the instruments doesn't that suggest a lack of compression? Compression makes all the tracks in the recording the same volume level?

I won't be able to hear this until the vinyl arrives, but I don't like it when vocals are muddled with the instruments, so maybe this mix will be to my liking :)
  • Options

What's wrong with it?
    Should've used dubly.
    Sorry? What does that mean?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    My original question was did this show's mix/master get revisited or is it the version that was originally released years back? The original release of this show years back sounds fantastic to my ears, still. Even for a compressed mp3 version.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,575
    edited November 2015

What's wrong with it?
    Should've used dubly.
    I think it's a reference to someone misusing the word Dolby?... I remember something like this, but in a dream-like way... Was it TMZ?? Why do I feel like one of the TMZ hosts said dubly instead of Dolby kind of recently and got made fun of? That might actually be a real memory, but I'm not totally positive, lol!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

What's wrong with it?
    Should've used dubly.
    I think it's a reference to someone misusing the word Dolby?... I remember something like this, but in a dream-like way... Was it TMZ?? Why do I feel like one of the TMZ hosts said dubly instead of Dolby kind of recently and got made fun of? That might actually be a real memory, but I'm not totally positive, lol!
    What the hell is a TMZ?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    edited November 2015

PJ_Soul said:

What's wrong with it?
    Should've used dubly.
    What the hell is a TMZ?
    :lol: Wtf, never mind. I just remembered why I knew this. Because I happened to watch This Is Spinal Tap a couple of weeks ago! The lead singer's girlfriend (Spinal Tap's Yoko) called Dolby "dubly", and the rest of the Spinal Tap band members made fun of her, lol! I thought maybe TMZ because it seems like something one of those hosts would do. :tongue:
    Okay, so good. SLH is referencing Spinal Tap and NOT TMZ. Phew! :lol:

(TMZ on TV is pretty funny though. It's actually really satirical, hosted by a bunch of funny comedians, not just some dumb celebrity show. Most people don't know that; they just make assumptions about it without ever having seen it).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    PJ_Soul said:

What's wrong with it?
    Should've used dubly.
    It's from Spinal Tap!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    derbydave said:

PJ_Soul said:

What's wrong with it?
    Should've used dubly.
    It's from Spinal Tap!!
    Yeah, see my next post - I eventually remembered! ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    derbydave said:

PJ_Soul said:

What's wrong with it?
    Should've used dubly.
    It's from Spinal Tap!!
    I've never seen Spinal Tap or watched TMZ (thank you Google). I'm only 38, promise. Just not dialed in to the funnies today I guess! Sorry Santos dude! I fucked up your reference and funny! We ditched cable TV earlier about a year ago now and I think my pop culture skills have decreased, badly.
    Post edited by 2-feign-reluctance on
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

I've never seen Spinal Tap

• Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    None more black.
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Hello Cleveland!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    Now I will have to watch Spinal Tap.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    hinsey21hinsey21 Posts: 582
    THIS ONE GOES TO ELEVEN
  • Options

Now I will have to watch Spinal Tap.

It's so good!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

What's wrong with it?
    Should've used dubly.
    What the hell is a TMZ?
    :lol: Wtf, never mind. I just remembered why I knew this. Because I happened to watch This Is Spinal Tap a couple of weeks ago! The lead singer's girlfriend (Spinal Tap's Yoko) called Dolby "dubly", and the rest of the Spinal Tap band members made fun of her, lol! I thought maybe TMZ because it seems like something one of those hosts would do. :tongue:
    Okay, so good. SLH is referencing Spinal Tap and NOT TMZ. Phew! :lol:

(TMZ on TV is pretty funny though. It's actually really satirical, hosted by a bunch of funny comedians, not just some dumb celebrity show. Most people don't know that; they just make assumptions about it without ever having seen it).
    +1
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,982
    edited November 2015
    Went from "Warehouse" to "Shipped" today. Thanks, 10c!
    Post edited by dudeman on
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,912

Shit, Goddamn, Dave A. was so great on the 93-94 tour! Porch is unreal!

I'm listening to the Flac copy now. Dave sure was amazing!
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903
    Listening to st petersburg 94.....man the band was on fire thAt year! Much more polished than 93
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    What is TMZ? What does that stand for? I know it's a tv show.
    What is SLH? Who or what is actually SLH? Not The Simpson's dog.
    What is Spinal Tap? What does that mean? I know is a fake band who didn't have as many drummers as PJ.

I'm actually asking, not playing jeopardy, I know what those are, but I don't know what those mean, what is the story behind those names that brought them to exist...

... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

What is Spinal Tap? What does that mean? I know is a fake band who didn't have as many drummers as PJ.

I'm actually asking, not playing jeopardy, I know what those are, but I don't know what those mean, what is the story behind those names that brought them to exist...

TMZ stands for Thirty Mile Zone, essentially the 30-mile radius of studios in LA.

SLH is Santos L. Halper, a 10c employee who often provides helpful info on this forum, and whose name is on the return address of 10c shipments.

A spinal tap is a medical procedure also known as a lumbar puncture. A needle is inserted into the spinal canal in the lumbar region to collect spinal fluid.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    jeffbr said:

TMZ stands for Thirty Mile Zone, essentially the 30-mile radius of studios in LA.

SLH is Santos L. Halper, a 10c employee who often provides helpful info on this forum, and whose name is on the return address of 10c shipments.

A spinal tap is a medical procedure also known as a lumbar puncture. A needle is inserted into the spinal canal in the lumbar region to collect spinal fluid.
    The one in the middle I knew, the other two, I didn't, thanks for your time and kindness...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,480
    Zod said:

What's wrong with it?
    If the vocals are cranked higher than the instruments doesn't that suggest a lack of compression? Compression makes all the tracks in the recording the same volume level?

I won't be able to hear this until the vinyl arrives, but I don't like it when vocals are muddled with the instruments, so maybe this mix will be to my liking :)
    No, you're right about compression. And I was an idiot for just singling out the vocals, as everything sounds too loud. Sorry to get your hopes up about the mix.

I'm actually sorry about saying anything at all because I'm having a hard time singling out whether it's the mix/mastering I don't like or just the performance itself. It's very raw. It's all a bit overblown (which is apropos with Mudhoney in the building, right?). Maybe I've been listening to too many boots from 2000 onward lately because I find myself telling Eddie to take it easy on the vocals while listening to this. I wish he could still belt out Jeremy like he once did.

It's funny, 20 years ago, I would have loved to have a soundboard bootleg like this for so little money. I would have loved listening to it. But with the whole Pono sound quality thing, it's kinda trained my brain to analyze the music and try to figure out what I really like to hear and what I don't. I listen to the Pixies albums on CD (the original pressings) and I'm amazed at the dynamic range. Those CDs sound so good! So, it is possible to have as good dynamic range on CD as there is on vinyl. However, is it realistic to have those expectations toward digital Pearl Jam recordings that history has shown haven't really had great dynamic ranges? Probably not. (Although the 2000 European Tour boots might beg to differ).

Sometimes I wish I could go back to my ignorant self before I learned about dynamic range because I'd definitely be happier with what I listen to. It's definitely not everything when it comes to a recording. But, we should be asking questions about what we're buying. Becoming better educated about the product should hopefully lead to a better product, right?

I'm just hoping upon hope that the vinyl sounds great and that people are happy, and I apologize to those digital listeners if I colored your way of thinking about this boot. Sound quality is definitely a subjective thing, and this is only my opinion.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    ^ great post! thank you
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited November 2015

I listen to the Pixies albums on CD (the original pressings) and I'm amazed at the dynamic range. Those CDs sound so good! So, it is possible to have as good dynamic range on CD as there is on vinyl.

It all comes down to the mastering. I recently have found myself much more inclined to go out and hunt used bins for original CD pressings then vinyl. Most sound spectacular compared to their "brickwalled", "compressed" remastered brothers and there is usually no comparison between a used CD and used vinyl for clean sound.

CDs with the right mastering can sound just as warm as vinyl, especially if you have the right DAC paired with the right speakers.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    Ernie VedderErnie Vedder Redlands, CA Posts: 2,226
    i hope i get mine soon.
    A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
  • Options
    wgwg Posts: 411
    Anyone have any tracking numbers yet?