Options

Bernie Sanders for President

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    Free said:

She could do what Obama did with her, and give him a good position in her cabinet, but I doubt that will happen either. Obama is a much kinder competitor.

I don't think it would have anything to do with kindness and everything to do with politics.
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited May 2016
    Oops
    dignin said:

Free said:

She could do what Obama did with her, and give him a good position in her cabinet, but I doubt that will happen either. Obama is a much kinder competitor.

I don't think it would have anything to do with kindness and everything to do with politics.
    Well, we'll see if she offers Bernie anything. Bets are, no.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    The Chair Thrown 'Round the World

A Las Vegas reporter's second-hand claim Bernie Sanders supporters threw chairs at a Nevada convention was widely reproduced by other news outlets.

http://www.snopes.com/did-sanders-supporters-throw-chairs-at-nevada-democratic-convention/

• Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,649

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,102
    Yeah, they've get after him quite a bit. Fuck that site.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,739
    I'm sorry Markos (kos) is nothing but a neo-con, corporate, conservative Hillary shill. He's never voted Democrat in his life. He was a Goldwater Girl in fact (the corp. media won't report this because they're in the bag). Pathetic.

Hey, maybe I should write for Kos. He's saying what I spent all day saying...

The problem is Bernie Sanders himself, who as a leader refuses to forcefully and unambiguously reject that violence, instead rationalizing and explaining it away with a mix of grievances and outright conspiracy theory. The same guy who once said, “Mr. Trump should take responsibility for addressing his supporters’ violent actions,” now can’t be bothered to do the same when it’s a few rotten apples in his crowd acting insane.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Haha, that is a mess. There were so many good lines to quote in that article it was hard to choose, but this sums it up pretty well:
    And why would he correct something he so clearly believes? He’s been talking “revolution” for so long that it’s clear he actually believes in it … in the literal sense of the word. He didn’t forcefully condemn the violence in Nevada because revolutions are violent. He doesn’t care about the will of the Democratic electorate because revolutions aren’t democratic elections.

At this point, his entire message is “Nice party you got there, sure would be a shame if something happened to it!” So hey superdelegates, toss aside the will of the electorate because otherwise he’ll burn the place down. Viva la revolución! So screw your math and your numbers!

AUDIE CORNISH: But if he has to win 68 percent of all the delegates going forward, in all the races, and he falls short of that — you know, do you have an obligation to be honest about what his path is?

JEFF WEAVER: Well, no, but see, but that’s a media narrative from people who think that politics is just standing at a board, doing mathematics. But it’s much more than that
    (Insert stupefied silence, eyes wide in disbelief, a couple of blinks ...)

In actuality, the primary system has been rigged in Sanders’ favor—giving him far more delegates than his share of the popular vote would suggest—so perhaps that might explain their confusion about math. Heck, his entire early boost came from two of the most unrepresentative states in the country, in a party that is the most diverse.

And when even those advantages aren’t enough, they outright lie about their chances. Sanders’ campaign manager literally says he doesn’t have to be honest to his supporters. “Do you have an obligation to be honest about what his path is?” Answer: “Well, no.”

So here you have this amazing group of passionate activists, having fought for Bernie for so long, suddenly being lumped in with violent dead-enders and math ignoramuses. It’s not Bernie Sanders’ name being besmirched, it’s that of so many good people I know who are now forced to apologize for their candidate (or worse, try to rationalize it).
    Good insight from Kos, who is not exactly a Tea Party conservative type.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    How many examples of poor leadership do we need in one campaign season? Let's all remember the immature things that have happened:

1. His supporters booing Hillary's name at every rally, with him failing to stop it. Remember even McCain criticized his supporters when they disparaged Obama's character.
    2. Throwing dollars at her motorcade
    3. Marginalized/insulted the southern states as 'just as important as Guam'... remember that Tim Robbins?
    4. Bernie saying Hillary wasn't qualified then walking it back, but with the excuse "she did it first" (which she didn't)
    5. Criticizing the super delegates but then embracing them when realizing that was his only path
    6. Just about every contest they lose is 'rigged'. Everyone that doesn't support is a corporate whore
    7. His surrogate that kicked off his NYC rally called Hillary a Corporate Democratic Whore
    8. Publishing of personal information of super delegates, calling the website a "hit list"
    9. Now the Nevada threats

This is lack of leadership pure and simple. The supporters take their lead from Bernie on what he says and what he doesn't condemn. It may have been in Kos's editorial or I may have read it somewhere else. Bernie's ideas may have strong merit, but he is NOT the person to lead them.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    The bastard! And the violence caused by his supporters (all of which NEVER happened!) Let's keep hating regardless of the facts!

How much do you get paid as a Hillary bot Russell?
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,147
    Free said:

The bastard! And the violence caused by his supporters (all of which NEVER happened! Let's keep hating!

I see in addition to Bernie/trump building campaigns from hate, that their supporters both follow the same path when confronted with facts.

1) Deny
    2) Deflect
    3) Call people names

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Free said:

The bastard! And the violence caused by his supporters (all of which NEVER happened!) Let's keep hating regardless of the facts!

I really wish those 9 things didn't happen, but alas they did.
  • Options
    Free said:

I'm still waiting for your research to come back on a period when the United States had a more fully functioning, inclusive democracy. Let me know when you are able to back up your statements.
  • Options

Free said:

The bastard! And the violence caused by his supporters (all of which NEVER happened! Let's keep hating!

I see in addition to Bernie/trump building campaigns from hate, that their supporters both follow the same path when confronted with facts.

1) Deny
    2) Deflect
    3) Call people names

Yet the facts fall in Sanders favor.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    mrussel1 said:

Free said:

How much do you get paid?
    Where are ALL of your sources??

If you really wanted to know the answer to your question you would look it up.
  • Options
    Free said:

mrussel1 said:

Free said:

I get paid a lot, I'm quite comfortable, thanks for asking. But I work in private sector finance and have earned my way up. These boards are nice for when I'm sitting in my office, bored and listening to people drone on about 5 year NPVs, discount rates, six sigma life cycles, blah blah. Thanks for asking.

You believe not one of those things took place? Are you that blissfully unaware?
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,776
    The topic is:
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,389
    Kat said:

The topic is:

Hi Kat
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,147
    edited May 2016
    Kat said:

The topic is:

Fine then.

Bernie sanders would be a disaster as president of just about anything, let alone the US.

And talking about his idiot supporters is right on topic.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Free said:

mrussel1 said:

Free said:

I get paid a lot, I'm quite comfortable, thanks for asking. But I work in private sector finance and have earned my way up. These boards are nice for when I'm sitting in my office, bored and listening to people drone on about 5 year NPVs, discount rates, six sigma life cycles, blah blah. Thanks for asking.

You believe not one of those things took place? Are you that blissfully unaware?
    Waiting on those sources, The point of intelligent debate is backing up what you say with credible sources. Since you're bored at work you should have plenty of time to look them up.
  • Options
    Free said:

mrussel1 said:

Free said:

mrussel1 said:

Free said:

Waiting on those sources, The point of intelligent debate is backing up what you say with credible sources. Since you're bored at work you should have plenty of time to look them up.
    Wow.. this is hard. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-y-song-md/i-am-sorry_b_9697168.html

Now granted, this is probably the corporate Huffiington Post fabricating an apology letter...

The sad thing is that when a person only gets their news from sources that agree with their bias, they have no idea of the full picture.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,718

Kat said:

The topic is:

Fine then.

Bernie sanders would be a disaster as president of just about anything, let alone the US.

And talking about his idiot supporters is right on topic.
    What leads you to believe he'd be a disaster?
  • Options
    ^^now you back up that statement you made yesterday please about democracy.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,718
    Jason P said:

One of my favorite moments in sports history!
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    That's how you throw a goddamn chair!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,840
    mrussel1 said:

How many examples of poor leadership do we need in one campaign season? Let's all remember the immature things that have happened:

1. His supporters booing Hillary's name at every rally, with him failing to stop it. Remember even McCain criticized his supporters when they disparaged Obama's character.
    3. Marginalized/insulted the southern states as 'just as important as Guam'... remember that Tim Robbins?
    4. Bernie saying Hillary wasn't qualified then walking it back, but with the excuse "she did it first" (which she didn't)
    5. Criticizing the super delegates but then embracing them when realizing that was his only path
    6. Just about every contest they lose is 'rigged'. Everyone that doesn't support is a corporate whore
    7. His surrogate that kicked off his NYC rally called Hillary a Corporate Democratic Whore
    8. Publishing of personal information of super delegates, calling the website a "hit list"

This is lack of leadership pure and simple. The supporters take their lead from Bernie on what he says and what he doesn't condemn. It may have been in Kos's editorial or I may have read it somewhere else. Bernie's ideas may have strong merit, but he is NOT the person to lead them.

On some of the above: Again, choosing to zero in on the few loud mouths among the many millions of Bernie supporters. Sound real CNN/MSNBC/ABC/CBS/FOX to me.

But at least you got 6 an 7 correct.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

On some of the above: Again, choosing to zero in on the few loud mouths among the many millions of Bernie supporters. Sound real CNN/MSNBC/ABC/CBS/FOX to me.

Leadership is unequivocally condemning those loud few. It's what we demanded of Trump. Sadly Bernie hasn't done it.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    And on to fundraising news...

Sanders outraised Clinton in April

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/dem-primaries/280745-sanders-outraised-clinton-in-april
    ...Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders outraised front-runner Hillary Clinton by nearly $2 million in the month of April.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,840
    mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

Leadership is unequivocally condemning those loud few. It's what we demanded of Trump. Sadly Bernie hasn't done it.
    Sanders recently said,

"I don't think our supporters are inciting. What our supporters are doing is responding to a candidate who has, in fact, in many ways, encouraged violence. When he talks about ... 'I wish we were in the old days when you could punch somebody in the head.' What do you think that says to his supporters?"
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    oops
This discussion has been closed.