Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    Wow, you're voting for him? Sorry, but that seems crazy to me, but I guess some people never learn. Isn't there some independent or green party candidate or one of those kooky random parties that end up on ballots who you could vote for? That would be better than Ford, no? lol
    I'll let you know if there are ... the election starts tomorrow.  I'm not no where near that far left as the liberals and ndp in Ontario.  I prefer something to ward the middle.  The PC's are about it right now.  I don't really vote for the leader, I vote for the candidate who will best represent me.  The NDP have this riding locked anyways.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited May 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Wow, you're voting for him? Sorry, but that seems crazy to me, but I guess some people never learn. Isn't there some independent or green party candidate or one of those kooky random parties that end up on ballots who you could vote for? That would be better than Ford, no? lol
    I'll let you know if there are ... the election starts tomorrow.  I'm not no where near that far left as the liberals and ndp in Ontario.  I prefer something to ward the middle.  The PC's are about it right now.  I don't really vote for the leader, I vote for the candidate who will best represent me.  The NDP have this riding locked anyways.
    Fair enough, it's just that it's FORD. If it was a normal PCer I wouldn't say boo, but this guy.... man. He really isn't different than his brother - that family is shady as fuck, and I would think a normal slimeball politician from the NDP would be preferable to Ford in particular even if you are in the middle.... I hear you about the person in your riding... but FORD! Plus, I find that the premier actually does have a bigger impact on people's lives than their MLAs do, all things considered.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Fair enough, it's just that it's FORD. If it was a normal PCer I wouldn't say boo, but this guy.... man. He really isn't different than his brother - that family is shady as fuck, and I would think a normal slimeball politician from the NDP would be preferable to Ford in particular even if you are in the middle.... I hear you about the person in your riding... but FORD! Plus, I find that the premier actually does have a bigger impact on people's lives than their MLAs do, all things considered.
    I wanted Christine Elliot to win the leadership race ... we really don't have great choices in Ontario.  If it all plays out with a Ford victory, I suspect the NDP will change leaders and of course Wynn will have to step down ... so I guess it's possible Ford only serves 1 term as Premier.  But I think Elliot would have been good premier...she still may someday.  I'm not set in my vote, I reserve the right to change my mind...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Tory MPs call for action against self-confessed ISIS recruit living in Toronto

https://globalnews.ca/news/4204245/canadian-islamic-state-recruit-toronto/

Trudeau will likely give hime a hug ... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

No he wouldn't. Are you willfully ignoring the actual reasons behind Trudeau's perspectives on that issue, or honestly ignorant to them?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Justin Trudeau just handed tens of millions of your tax dollars to the richest company on earth

http://brianlilley.com/justin-trudeau-just-handed-tens-of-millions-of-your-tax-dollars-to-the-richest-company-on-earth/

I guess when your a trust fund baby, we can not expect him to respect taxpayers...jeesh...what a donkey.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I truly just can't take anything you say seriously because of the ridiculous biased little tag lines you add. Are you not capable of posting something without making it look like you're one of those facebook goofs?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

No he wouldn't. Are you willfully ignoring the actual reasons behind Trudeau's perspectives on that issue, or honestly ignorant to them?
    Trudeau's perspectives on that issue are moronic. The vast majority of Canada isn't interested in harbouring ISIS operatives under the guise of rehabilitation.

And regarding the most recent link two posts above... the math doesn't add up. I'm not surprised though- he is consistently showing he's not ready. I had hopes for him, but the optimism is dimming substantially.

Just like we voted the last bum out... we'll be voting this bum out next election.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Trudeau's perspectives on that issue are moronic. The vast majority of Canada isn't interested in harbouring ISIS operatives under the guise of rehabilitation.

And regarding the most recent link two posts above... the math doesn't add up. I'm not surprised though- he is consistently showing he's not ready. I had hopes for him, but the optimism is dimming substantially.

Just like we voted the last bum out... we'll be voting this bum out next election.
    I have already said many time I don't agree with Trudeau's handling of it. But his perspectives aren't moronic. They are based on Canadian law and what is reasonably possible under those laws. I don't agree with all of his conclusions or ideas here, but just writing it off as plain old "moronic" also dismisses a whole lot of fact.
    But I am addressing Meltdown's tendency towards really silly hyperbole. It denigrates all discourse IMO, and it is a tactic that is spreading in Canada, and it disgusts me, frankly.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I have already said many time I don't agree with Trudeau's handling of it. But his perspectives aren't moronic. They are based on Canadian law and what is reasonably possible under those laws. I don't agree with all of his conclusions or ideas here, but just writing it off as plain old "moronic" also dismisses a whole lot of fact.
    But I am addressing Meltdown's tendency towards really silly hyperbole. It denigrates all discourse IMO, and it is a tactic that is spreading in Canada, and it disgusts me, frankly.
    How does Canadian law regard a citizen who has committed grievous offences in another country?

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/publications/guide-for-canadians-imprisoned-abroad says:

If you break the laws of another country, you are subject to the judicial system of that country. Being a foreigner or not knowing the local laws is not an excuse. Global Affairs Canada can neither protect you from the consequences of your actions nor override the decisions of local authorities.

The rat that wormed his way into Canada was an executioner for ISIS in Syria- confessing to shooting people in the head (Meltdown's link).

You say Trudeau's perspectives are based on Canadian law and what is reasonably possible under those laws. I say there's a bit more latitude in Canadian law to let these losers reap what they have sown than what you seem willing to accept. In his own words, Trudeau has come across as somewhat eager to assist the terror voyeurs re-enter Canada in the hopes of helping them re-establish 'normalcy'.
  • Options
    It all about PROOF that holds up in a Canadian court of law. Just just about how you think it should hold up, but how it actually holds up in real life and is at the mercy of all kinds of technicalities. That is the crux of the entire issue and what is behind Trudeau's perspective on it. It's more complicated than you seem to think.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    It all about PROOF that holds up in a Canadian court of law. Just just about how you think it should hold up, but how it actually holds up in real life and is at the mercy of all kinds of technicalities. That is the crux of the entire issue and what is behind Trudeau's perspective on it. It's more complicated than you seem to think.
    I know it's complicated, but you need to pick your fights.

This is one I'd pick as the prime minister. I wouldn't be shrugging my shoulders saying. "Meh. What are ya gonna do?" when ISIS operatives seek refuge back home from a scrap gone badly for them.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    I know it's complicated, but you need to pick your fights.

This is one I'd pick as the prime minister. I wouldn't be shrugging my shoulders saying. "Meh. What are ya gonna do?" when ISIS operatives seek refuge back home from a scrap gone badly for them.
    I don't think he's shrugging his shoulders - he's specifically chosen a road to go down (or at least wants to go down), and it's not based on moronic ideas. It's actually based on valid ideas that he didn't come up with himself. You and I and others may not agree with that path, but just writing it off as moronic or being hyperbolic about Trudeau's motivations is lazy, unhelpful, and actually does everyone a disservice because it necessarily dismisses all of the important factors that the PM actually is taking into account and that everyone should be taking into account when forming their own opinions about this. You know I don't agree with the PM. All I'm trying to say is that the discourse surrounding this issue needs to remain rational, and not fed by hysterical hyperbole of the brand that Meltdown favours (and you too, when you're feeling more emotional, lol). From what I can tell, Meltdown and so many other Canadians barely even know what they're talking about when it comes to this issue, but are ready and willing to just say "THAT'S STUPID! HE'S AN IDIOT! HE LOVES TERRORISTS!" I think this is harmful. If enough people keep pulling that shit, we're going to end up just like America, being suckered into living under a populist government.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    ISIS operatives should be arrested by military police and charged as traitors and capital punishment should apply always ifs found guilty...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    ISIS operatives should be arrested by military police and charged as traitors and capital punishment should apply always ifs found guilty...

Sure, in a different dimension where any of that is legal, lol. And where they have devised a way to ensure that people don't get falsely accused when there are no records on anything they supposedly did to become traitors.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Sure, in a different dimension where any of that is legal, lol. And where they have devised a way to ensure that people don't get falsely accused when there are no records on anything they supposedly did to become traitors.
    From what I have read, we have assisted ISIS operatives knowing their guilt.

He has more license within the confines of the law than he has cared to exercise.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

He has more license within the confines of the law than he has cared to exercise.
    Yes, the legal issues combine with another theory, which I think we've discussed before. It's a legit theory of course - rehabilitation, etc, largely borrowed from Scandinavian countries - and recall that I pointed out that the hyperbolic chatter made it sound like the PM wanted every single one of the accused/suspected to turn around and be rehabilitated and do some good, which, of course, isn't true at all. See, if all the lies made up about the PM's perspective on his issue were true, then yeah, he'd be a moron. But they aren't so he isn't, whether you agree with him or not.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Yes, the legal issues combine with another theory, which I think we've discussed before. It's a legit theory of course - rehabilitation, etc, largely borrowed from Scandinavian countries - and recall that I pointed out that the hyperbolic chatter made it sound like the PM wanted every single one of the accused/suspected to turn around and be rehabilitated and do some good, which, of course, isn't true at all. See, if all the lies made up about the PM's perspective on his issue were true, then yeah, he'd be a moron. But they aren't so he isn't, whether you agree with him or not.

Of the 160 'returned ISIS guys'... there might just be a few capable of being 'rehabilitated' (if that's what you want to call it- I'd call it 'converted'). That leaves at least a chunk of angry, f**ked up individuals living among us. This is not ideal by any stretch of the imagination. At best... they remain threats at large. At worst... they remain threats at large, manage to bring other idiots into the fold selling them the ideology, and act out with violence like we see in Europe.

The majority of Canadians aren't interested in 'converting' religious fanatics who have slaughtered people into average joes contributing to Canadian society like Scandinavian countries might be interested in doing. The majority of Canadians want such people to stand accountable for their crimes which are egregious (to say the least of them).

You said a mouthful when you said 'the hyperbolic chatter made it sound like the PM wanted every single one of the accused/suspected to turn around and be rehabilitated and do some good, which, of course, isn't true at all'. You are correct and what you have said- in addition to what I stated in my first passage to you- makes Trudeau a moron.

If one isn't very concerned with things like justice and security... then maybe he's not a moron.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    No, if he weren't cognizant of the legal difficulties and technicalities involved here and if he wasn't acknowledging them, and if he didn't have real life models to base his ideas on, then he'd be a moron. As it is, I think think his biggest problem is that he or his people didn't do a very good job at all in presenting their ideas and theories. They made the mistake of assuming the public would not get all hysterical, and that they would read between the lines, and that they'd be patient about finding out more details. They were wrong.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    No, if he weren't cognizant of the legal difficulties and technicalities involved here, then he'd be a moron.

So Canadian law makes it difficult to challenge returning ISIS fighters coming home after things didn't work out very well for them? Surprising (sarcasm fully intended!).

But not impossible given the spectrum of the law.

As I stated... sometimes you need to pick your fights. If I was PM... this would definitely be one I'd be picking. Not ours though. Our PM seems to be rolling up his sleeves for a fight with BC to build a pipeline. He's in the corner in front of ISIS guys and Texas oil tycoons opposing average Canadians.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    No, if he weren't cognizant of the legal difficulties and technicalities involved here, then he'd be a moron.

So Canadian law makes it difficult to challenge returning ISIS fighters coming home after things didn't work out very well for them? Surprising (sarcasm fully intended!).

As I stated... sometimes you need to pick your fights. If I was PM... this would definitely be one I'd be picking. Not ours though. Our PM seems to be rolling up his sleeves for a fight with BC to build a pipeline. He's in the corner in front of ISIS guys and Texas oil tycoons opposing average Canadians.
    Yes, that's right, it does. Sure, it's frustrating, but it certainly isn't Trudeau's fault.
    As I stated... I agree that the PM should be confronting this differently (and I wish he wasn't for the pipeline, but he never claimed otherwise, so that part isn't at all surprising to me). My only point has always been that he's not a moron for his view, doesn't want to give terrorists hugs, lol, and that hyperbolic bullshit being spewed by people on social media that completely warps reality and is just brainless propaganda is damaging and really the only moronic thing going on in this regard. It worries me because it's just so... Trumpian.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Yes, that's right, it does. Sure, it's frustrating, but it certainly isn't Trudeau's fault.
    As I stated... I agree that the PM should be confronting this differently (and I wish he wasn't for the pipeline, but he never claimed otherwise, so that part isn't at all surprising to me). My only point has always been that he's not a moron for his view, doesn't want to give terrorists hugs, lol, and that hyperbolic bullshit being spewed by people on social media that completely warps reality and is just brainless propaganda is damaging and really the only moronic thing going on in this regard. It worries me because it's just so... Trumpian.

We're really close here.

I still think Trudeau has responsibility here because it's his leadership to challenge the process and pursue the legal avenues he has to thwart the return of beheaders.

What worries me is the fact that such light and passive leadership on issues such as this damages the left position (and rightly so). Some of the stuff you are talking about is rearing its head as a result of failed leadership and responsibility to the Canadian public in these matters. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,872
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

We're really close here.

I still think Trudeau has responsibility here because it's his leadership to challenge the process and pursue the legal avenues he has to thwart the return of beheaders.

What worries me is the fact that such light and passive leadership on issues such as this damages the left position (and rightly so). Some of the stuff you are talking about is rearing its head as a result of failed leadership and responsibility to the Canadian public in these matters. 
    Again I could google this but I'll ask the two of you....if an ISIS fighter returns home to canada you can't prosecute him or her?  Is that correct?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    I'm not an expert, but it depends on what we would be prosecuting them for.

Our courts will only entertain crimes against Canada or Canadians... so... with no extradition treaties in place... the 160 returned ISIS fighters will get a pass for lopping heads off Syrians.

We did a fantastic job of allowing them to play 'terror voyeurs' and safely scurry home to a welcoming country before they needed to answer for their actions. And now that they are safe and sound... ready to regroup and plot against some more infidels... we don't feel they have done anything against our national interest that warrants charges.

Well... actually... only a few feel that way: our outrageously handsome PM is one.
  • Options

John Ivison: If self-confessed ISIL killer is not held accountable, who will be?

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/john-ivison-if-self-confessed-isil-killer-is-not-held-accountable-who-will-be

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

We're really close here.

Again I could google this but I'll ask the two of you....if an ISIS fighter returns home to canada you can't prosecute him or her?  Is that correct?
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

We're really close here.

The PM of Canada prefers hugs over accountability...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,872

Our courts will only entertain crimes against Canada or Canadians... so... with no extradition treaties in place... the 160 returned ISIS fighters will get a pass for lopping heads off Syrians.

We did a fantastic job of allowing them to play 'terror voyeurs' and safely scurry home to a welcoming country before they needed to answer for their actions. And now that they are safe and sound... ready to regroup and plot against some more infidels... we don't feel they have done anything against our national interest that warrants charges.

Well... actually... only a few feel that way: our outrageously handsome PM is one.
    wow.  I'm speechless.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

wow.  I'm speechless.

I could be wrong though, Scruffy. This is what I think the reality is. I leave myself exposed to being educated more thoroughly on this issue.
  • Options
    If there are no laws in place that allow for the prosecution of these scum ... then that's on Trudeau ... he's had 21/2 years to pass legislation allowing for the prosecution of returning ISIS fighters.  I find it hard to believe that we do not have laws in place that would allow the military to charge the scum as enemy combatants...but our military is all political anyways...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Does the law prevent Canada from killing its 'terrorist travellers'?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/killing-canadian-jihadis-death-squads-1.4429137

We should have followed the lead of the US, France and the UK on this one.
    Give Peas A Chance…