Options

Mansfield I - BEST SHOW OF TOUR SO FAR

joshua3800joshua3800 Posts: 46
edited June 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
The show was shorter than most during the tour, but unlike MSG I and II or Hartford, This show had everything and a tight selection of tunes that were both slow and fast and showed off there talent more and the crowd was BY FAR the best i've seen since 2006.

The noise during the 1.5 minute cheer for Betterman will be legendary.

A longer show doesn't mean a bettershow. We got a look of songs through the years last night. I heard Indifference was scratched off and i wish after Alive they would've done Indifference to close, but easily a short and to the point great show.

The I's is Manfield are historically better than the 2's but i am hopefull.

Of course nothing beats Mansfield III from 06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    Dude im guessing you weren't at both MSG's.. #1 the set lists were better, and they played almost every song that was played at Mansfield 1.

Have you ever heard a Garden cheer? You think your show is the best because you went. But if you want to be factual these MSG shows were amazing. McCready said MSG 2 has to be his favorite show EVER.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    6/24

Set 1 Hard To Imagine, Save You, Why Go, All Night, Corduroy, Faithfull, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, Down, Unemployable, Given To Fly, Who You Are, Whipping, 1/2 Full, Even Flow, Present Tense, Daughter, Do The Evolution
    Encore 1 Love Reign O'er Me, W.M.A., Leash, Spin The Black Circle, Wasted Reprise, Porch
    Encore 2 No More, Crazy Mary, Comatose, I Believe In Miracles, Alive
    Encore 3 All Along The Watchtower, Indifference

6/25

Set 1 Release, World Wide Suicide, Severed Hand, Corduroy, All Night, Cropduster, Garden, Marker In The Sand, I'm Open, Wishlist, State Of Love And Trust, Even Flow, Who You Are, Rats, Given To Fly, Do The Evolution, Go
    Encore 1 Inside Job, W.M.A., Lukin, I Believe In Miracles, Better Man(Save it for Later), Rearviewmirror
    Encore 2 No More, Last Kiss, Why Go, Black Diamond, Alive, Yellow Ledbetter

6/28

Set 1 Hard To Imagine, Why Go, Hail Hail, Comatose, Low Light, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, Corduroy, Faithfull, Off He Goes, Given To Fly, Down, I'm Open, I Got Id, Even Flow, Do The Evolution, Once, Rearviewmirror
    Encore 1 Love Reign O'er Me, Come Back, Insignificance, Black, Better Man(Save it for Later)
    Encore 2 No More, State Of Love And Trust, Alive

Mansfield was basically MSG 3.

I would put Hartford before Mansfield. Maybe even MSG 1.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    joshua3800 wrote:
    The show was shorter than most during the tour, but unlike MSG I and II or Hartford, This show had everything and a tight selection of tunes that were both slow and fast and showed off there talent more and the crowd was BY FAR the best i've seen since 2006.

A longer show doesn't mean a bettershow. We got a look of songs through the years last night. I heard Indifference was scratched off and i wish after Alive they would've done Indifference to close, but easily a short and to the point great show.

you had a great time and that is really all that matters. The over analyzing gets a bit ridiculous at times.
  • Options
    The AkkusThe Akkus Posts: 1,093
    I was at the MSG shows, so I am a little biased, but the Mansfield setlist was nice and I will get the boot for sure.
    Im glad you had a good time :)
    1998 - Noblesville * Knoxville
    2000 - Noblesville * Cincinnati * Columbus
    2003 - Lexington * East Troy * Noblesville* Columbus
    2006 - Cincinnati
    2008 - NYC night 1 * NYC night 2
    2009 - EV Solo Nashville
    2010 - Columbus * Noblesville * Cleveland
    2011 - East Troy night 1 * East Troy night 2
    2014 - Cincinnati
    2016 - Greenville * Lexington
  • Options
    Spot In The SkySpot In The Sky Posts: 1,175
    Dude im guessing you weren't at both MSG's.. #1 the set lists were better, and they played almost every song that was played at Mansfield 1.

Have you ever heard a Garden cheer? You think your show is the best because you went. But if you want to be factual these MSG shows were amazing. McCready said MSG 2 has to be his favorite show EVER.

No that I dont believe you, just curious as to where/when/to whom he said that to.
    If it was a fan, maybe he says that to fans often at the shows? I dont know, but he has played a lot of shows, and I was at MSG 1 and 2 and they were both amazing- but best show ever....thats heavy, not unjustified, but seems kinda weird. Its like when you review an employee and only comment on things that have happened in the last month instead of taking in to account the whole year that they worked. Have I said too much? Sorry.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • Options
    Harryj40Harryj40 Posts: 53
    No that I dont believe you, just curious as to where/when/to whom he said that to.
    If it was a fan, maybe he says that to fans often at the shows? I dont know, but he has played a lot of shows, and I was at MSG 1 and 2 and they were both amazing- but best show ever....thats heavy, not unjustified, but seems kinda weird. Its like when you review an employee and only comment on things that have happened in the last month instead of taking in to account the whole year that they worked. Have I said too much? Sorry.
    I'm guessing that if in fact he did say that it might be because he got to play with Ace when they did "Black Diamond"
    "I know I was born
    and I know that i'll die
    the in between is mine
    I am mine"
    E.V. Pearl Jam
  • Options
    vitodacatvitodacat Posts: 470
    Get_Right wrote:
    you had a great time and that is really all that matters. The over analyzing gets a bit ridiculous at times.
    exactly

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • Options
    Spot In The SkySpot In The Sky Posts: 1,175
    Just watched that interview that is stickied by Mike- he says it was one of his fav shows, and acknowledges that because it is fresh in his mind.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • Options
    offwegooffwego Posts: 27
    You guys were not their probably, but being at every show so far believe it or not Columbia SC has been the best. Not to say the others are bad.

I guess the guys relaxing at the Kings of Leon's house the day before helped
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    offwego wrote:
    You guys were not their probably, but being at every show so far believe it or not Columbia SC has been the best. Not to say the others are bad.

I guess the guys relaxing at the Kings of Leon's house the day before helped

I believe it, it is the best setlist IMHO
  • Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    McCready said MSG 2 has to be his favorite show EVER.
    No he didn't. He said it was one of his favorite shows, and that was because it was fresh in his mind. Don't twist the masters words to try and prove a point!
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Options
    Super_FanSuper_Fan Posts: 249
    Best shows of the tour 2008.

1. Hartford
    2. Bonnaroo
    3. MSG Night 2
    4. Virginia Beach
    5. Boston Night 1
    6. DC
    7. MSG Night 1
    8. Camden Night 1

Didn't go to W. Palm Beach, Tampa, Camden, 2 or South Carolina so thats my order of which shows were the Best. Hartford no question the best show so far. BreakerFall hasn't been played that much a few times here and there. USA hasn't heard it since 2004 VFC in Michigan.
    Tour '08
    Destroying DC Scum.
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980

You think MSG was the best because you went.

This whole "one up man ship" between Pearl Jam fans is getting ridiclious.
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    ALL of the shows have been great so far. I went to Camden 2 which had what you guys would consider an average setlist compared to others on the tour. But even that show had amazing energy, probably like what you guys experienced at Mansfield last night.

MSG were also really amazing. The setlists were great (got to hear Indifference!!). And the thing that stands out the most about MSG was the crowd. When the guys first came on stage for night 1, the wall of sound coming from the crowd was just incredible. It was chilling.

Really, after being at Camden, which is just like a Mansfield show I would assume, you can't compare Mansfield and MSG. They are very different from each other. The vibe is totally different at a place like Mansfield than in a place like MSG.

The other point I want to make is this; remember that Ed makes up the setlist every night with the vibe of the crowd and the venue that night. While it may turn out that the setlist, when compared to others, isn't that great, it may have been the PERFECT setlist for that night. He chooses the setlist to make it the best show on that specific night, the one that the crowd will react best to. Because I'll tell you right now, even on the lawn in Camden, people were belting out the words to almost every song. It was a perfect setlist for that night. So all this nonsense about setlists is ridiculous. And remember, if you guys had seen a setlist like Mansfield 1 at all during the 06 tour, you would've flipped out. Saying it's mediocre is just not appropriate.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Hooray ... another pissing contest about which show was "the best"!

Everyone likes different songs, everyone likes different venues, everyone has different experiences based on who they are with, who they are sitting around, how drunk they are, etc etc etc ....

Every damn "best show" opinion is just that, opinion ... it's YOUR favorite list, and not anyone else's ...

There is no right or wrong here folks.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    I've been to 4 shows on this tour (13 overall) and on this tour they rank like this for me of the ones I was at...

1. Hartford

2. MSG 1

3. MSG 2

4. Mansfield 1 (I thought this was the 3rd worst show I've seen) - still good but more greatest hits than anything...sort of a festival set and Eddie was pissed about something all night.

See everyone at Mansfield 2!
    "Sometimes I burn like a dot on the sun
    With no one knowing..."
  • Options
    mdg164mdg164 Posts: 206
    I've seen 4 shows this tour, Camden 2, D.C., MSG1, MSG2. The best show of the tour was W Palm Beach. There is no question. They opened with Oceans, and played Who you are for the first time. I wish I was there!
    09/02/00 09/05/00
    04/25/03 05/02/03 5/3/03 6/24/03 6/28/03 7/5/03 7/6/03 7/11/03 7/12/03 7/14/03
    09/28/04 09/29/04 10/01/04 10/02/04
    09/28/05 09/30/05 10/03/05
    5/24/06 5/25/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 5/30/06 6/01/06 6/03/06 6/23/06 6/24/06 7/22/06 7/23/06
    6/20/08 6/22/08 6/24/08 6/25/08
  • Options
    joshua3800 wrote:

The only part you got right was about Mansfield 3 years ago.

I've been to every show this tour and over 60 in my life..the show last night was near the bottom of my list for all time shows.

Set list was bellow average for this tour and it was the shortest.
    The band was not nearly as into it as the night before in Hartford.
    sorry but I was expecting a better show from Boston 1.

Betterman cheering was great..but that's not a band highlight...just a great crowd.

By the way..the next show will be just as short...strict 11pm curfew in Mansfield now.
    Its My BLOOOOOOOOOOOD!
  • Options

"factual"? really. where are said facts?
  • Options
    The only part you got right was about Mansfield 3 years ago.

I've been to every show this tour and over 60 in my life..the show last night was near the bottom of my list for all time shows.

Set list was bellow average for this tour and it was the shortest.
    The band was not nearly as into it as the night before in Hartford.
    sorry but I was expecting a better show from Boston 1.

Betterman cheering was great..but that's not a band highlight...just a great crowd.

By the way..the next show will be just as short...strict 11pm curfew in Mansfield now.

amen
    With no one knowing..."
  • Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    I dont see anything special about the mandfield setlist at all .. Pretty standard
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    I dont see anything special about the mandfield setlist at all .. Pretty standard

it was standard...anyone who was at Hartford and this show wont even compare the two. Not Close.
    With no one knowing..."
  • Options
    Your probably on a high from the show...but the "best show" of the tour can't be a show that was only a little more than 2 hours

So far the 2 MSG shows, Hartford, and DC are my top picks
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Mansfield 1's rushed set coming right after hartfords intense set that everyone did NOT expect? I guess its one of those "u had to be there" type things. Cuz i was at hartford, and that mansfield set looks like nothing compared to hartford.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    They have ALL been damn good.... who could decide :D
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    Hooray ... another pissing contest about which show was "the best"!

Everyone likes different songs, everyone likes different venues, everyone has different experiences based on who they are with, who they are sitting around, how drunk they are, etc etc etc ....

Every damn "best show" opinion is just that, opinion ... it's YOUR favorite list, and not anyone else's ...

There is no right or wrong here folks.

it's people who need to fill some void in their empty lives. they need that "thing" that makes them feel superior to others.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,894
    Have fun believing this was the best show. I can't stand comparing but making a thread saying yours was the best has forced me to.

Boston 1 ranks in the bottom 3 for me. The set (besides like 3 songs) are standard and in no way memorable compared to the other shows. Wow people cheered during Betterman, congratulations.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    grubbagrubba Posts: 44
    The first half was ok with a strong second half to save the day...However that being said # 2 has a alot of potential
    Lay down your'e arms and surrender to me...It must have been the devil
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Least favorite show I have been to, just because of the crowd. The fucking beer line was long ass hell in the middle of the set, everyone was drunk, not in their seats, trying to steal my seat, pissing on me and ignorant to anything after Vs.

It seemed like to me the only people getting into were the lucky ones in the pit area. I had friends in the lawn and they said it was completely dead. I can't stand Great Woods, play TD Banknorth please or play 3 nights in Hartford instead since it seemed like they enjoyed themselves a hell of a lot more than last night. What was Ed pissed off about? Speakers, the Marines recruiting, what was it?

I was happy to hear Come Back, but everything else was pretty standard. The Betterman thing was cool, but it was kind of overdrawn and probably cost an extra song at the end like Porch or Indifference cough cough. Here's to Monday being a hell of a lot better, maybe the boys will do something crazy like forfeit their pay and break curfew, or do another experiment, whatever they do, it will sure as hell be better than the travesty that was last nights show. Boston crowd was terrible, nothing compared to MSG.

I am really sorry about the negative post, its such a downer, and I feel really spoiled and bratty, but I just didn't have as good of time as I did at the MSGs or Hartford.

EDIT: I forgot about Once, that was cool to hear. It wasn't a bad show, just not as good as the past 3.
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    hobbes wrote:
    it's people who need to fill some void in their empty lives. they need that "thing" that makes them feel superior to others.

Blah Blah Blah...this is my vote for absurd post of the day!
    With no one knowing..."