Options

2016 PJ25 Tour Rumors

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,572
    edited January 2016
    shep said:

shep said:

Jazz fest rumors. Where are they coming from?

I have no clue. As far as I know the rumors are coming from people who just want them to play there, and therefore are saying it's confirmed.
    hrm...

jazzfest is a tough one for me... 6 hour drive is a bit much, but somehow I still can't justify flying to new orleans from houston... Went last time they played I wentwith my wife, but the overcrowded city, overpriced hotels, over-reserved restaurants, etc made it not that great an experience other than the show itself (good setlist for a festival show)...

that being said: I am taking note of the fact that Jazzfest doesn't have a contractual clause restricting bands from playing in Houston (i.e. VoodooFest, ACL)... maybe there is some truth/glimmer or hope that a date here is possible.... :)... though I'm not going to get my hopes up
    wow this is the first time i have ever read anything negative about jazz fest and nola.
    maybe it wasn't your first time to the city...but i've been 3 times now and done jazz fest once and it's the greatest city in america. nothing even comes close...but i wouldn't travel all the way there just for pearl jam. that city has way to much going on besides any rock band playing.
    I live and work in Houston.

Half the city of Houston lives here Monday-noon Friday, and drives back to Louisiana/Alabama Friday afternoon. Come lunch time Friday, the I-10 headed east is a parking lot.

With all the money that the city of Houston pumps into the Louisiana/Alabama economies, personnally, I prefer not to give that area of the US my tourist dollars. Especially when I see the attitudes of my co-workers that travel back there every weekend (and the people who live there) towards the Texas economy.

So in short, it doesn't take much for me to have a negative view of New Orleans. That being said, I have been there many times, and have countless stories of people I know well mugged, car jacked, etc around Bourbon street and the French Quarter at respectable hours. I have also have had pleasant experiences/trips there... Jazzfest itself was fine, the festival is well run and the city is clean and respectable that weekend - that being said, I was gouged for every dollar they could bleed out of me... as I would expect to for a high-traffic weekend. No different than Austin ACL weekends or Chicago Lolla weekend... I would make the same complaints about those cities, and I had a great time every occasion i've attended...

blah blah blah.... the short of it is, I would rather fly to Florida and/or Toronto to see PJ than drive to New Orleans....

and I would definitely argue with you labelling new orleans as the "greatest city in america"... that is definitely a stretch.

The short of it for you is really "I want to see a damn show in Houston. It's been 13 years."

I get it. I live 3 hours from Chicago. It isn't difficult for me to get there, but it isn't exciting for me to drive to Chicago as I've been there/done that a hundred times. Not that I wouldn't go there again, but a festival in Chicago doesn't get me excited to make the trip.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    SteffyLouSteffyLou Posts: 369
    I'm giving it until Friday.. no announcement and I'm booking a trip to Disney World with the kids. Ha

BTW- husband, who travels with me to every show but "really cares less" actually said this time, no maybe you should wait, I want to go to Toronto.
  • Options
    Walking the milesWalking the miles Toronto Posts: 548
    The word has gotten out dammit!......Toronto is a great city
    "Feel the path of everyday....which road you taking?"

Barrie, ON '98
    Toronto, ON '00/'03/'06/'09/'11/'16(x2)
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16
  • Options
    Pearl34JamPearl34Jam TN Posts: 1,102
    I sadly don't think we're getting anything today. I got my hopes up in October, November, and December. So I'm not going to expect anything this month, or at least not this early in the month.
    "Must I keep explaining my decisions to you strangers of the Internet?" - Merch tent 8/19/16

'13: 10/27 Baltimore
    '15: 9/26 New York City
    '16: 4/16 Greenville (VS!), 4/26 Lexington, 4/28 Philly, 8/20 Wrigley
    '18: 9/02 Fenway
    '22: 9/16 Nashville
    ’24: 8/26 Noblesville, 9/12 Baltimore
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,615
    I'm still hopeful we get something Friday. While waiting for an announcement I've already booked 2 other music trips so I'm just hoping to be able to see a show or two.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    Oh you Americans, it would be a dream to be able to just hop into my car and cruise on the highway for 3 hours to go to a show.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,572
    Brisk. said:

Oh you Americans, it would be a dream to be able to just hop into my car and cruise on the highway for 3 hours to go to a show.

We are spoiled for sure. Some parts of the US moreso than others though. And I would make the 3 hour drive by the way.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490

Brisk. said:

We are spoiled for sure. Some parts of the US moreso than others though. And I would make the 3 hour drive by the way.
    Just give me a ride please :-D
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,959
    Brisk. said:

where are you from?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,652

I have lived in Toronto, and still would be if I could... I love everything about it... with the exception of the leafs!!

Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    dr122931dr122931 Posts: 456
    shep said:

shep said:

I have no clue. As far as I know the rumors are coming from people who just want them to play there, and therefore are saying it's confirmed.
    hrm...

jazzfest is a tough one for me... 6 hour drive is a bit much, but somehow I still can't justify flying to new orleans from houston... Went last time they played I wentwith my wife, but the overcrowded city, overpriced hotels, over-reserved restaurants, etc made it not that great an experience other than the show itself (good setlist for a festival show)...

that being said: I am taking note of the fact that Jazzfest doesn't have a contractual clause restricting bands from playing in Houston (i.e. VoodooFest, ACL)... maybe there is some truth/glimmer or hope that a date here is possible.... :)... though I'm not going to get my hopes up
    wow this is the first time i have ever read anything negative about jazz fest and nola.
    maybe it wasn't your first time to the city...but i've been 3 times now and done jazz fest once and it's the greatest city in america. nothing even comes close...but i wouldn't travel all the way there just for pearl jam. that city has way to much going on besides any rock band playing.

Half the city of Houston lives here Monday-noon Friday, and drives back to Louisiana/Alabama Friday afternoon. Come lunch time Friday, the I-10 headed east is a parking lot.

With all the money that the city of Houston pumps into the Louisiana/Alabama economies, personnally, I prefer not to give that area of the US my tourist dollars. Especially when I see the attitudes of my co-workers that travel back there every weekend (and the people who live there) towards the Texas economy.

So in short, it doesn't take much for me to have a negative view of New Orleans. That being said, I have been there many times, and have countless stories of people I know well mugged, car jacked, etc around Bourbon street and the French Quarter at respectable hours. I have also have had pleasant experiences/trips there... Jazzfest itself was fine, the festival is well run and the city is clean and respectable that weekend - that being said, I was gouged for every dollar they could bleed out of me... as I would expect to for a high-traffic weekend. No different than Austin ACL weekends or Chicago Lolla weekend... I would make the same complaints about those cities, and I had a great time every occasion i've attended...

blah blah blah.... the short of it is, I would rather fly to Florida and/or Toronto to see PJ than drive to New Orleans....

and I would definitely argue with you labelling new orleans as the "greatest city in america"... that is definitely a stretch.

T I

I live in Houston and am from Louisiana. Houston is a great city, but it certainly has the crime you described in your anti-Louisiana rant. One of my best friends was recently held up at gun point in the heights - which is a nice area (where I live). I've seen PJ in NOLA, but i will not be attending jazz fest If the rumors are correct because I don't enjoy festivals at this point In my life. I think the reason I-10 east is a parking lot on weekends is because Texas doesn't have gambling and Louisiana does. Also, as much as I love Houston, I think we can all agree NOLA is a much better place to spend a weekend opposed to Houston.
    All that being said, Houston needs a fucking show. Since they last played here on the riot act tour, I've had to spend thousands of dollars traveling to multiple states and countries to see my favorite band. Toyota center needs a show!
  • Options
    GP179117GP179117 Posts: 362

"Toronto's just like New York, except without all the stuff"

--Steve Martin, 30 Rock
    Tempers are wearing thin. Let's hope some robot doesn't kill everybody.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    $20 says Houston happens in 2016... any takers?
  • Options
    GP179117 said:

--Steve Martin, 30 Rock
    I went to Toronto for the first time for the two 2011 shows. I must say, I agree. It's a great city
  • Options
    GP179117 said:

--Steve Martin, 30 Rock
    I went to Toronto for the first time for the two 2011 shows. I must say, I agree. It's a great city
  • Options
    GP179117 said:

--Steve Martin, 30 Rock
  • Options
    Walking the milesWalking the miles Toronto Posts: 548
    GP179117 said:

--Steve Martin, 30 Rock
    Hahaha, come on, we got stuffs!
    "Feel the path of everyday....which road you taking?"

Barrie, ON '98
    Toronto, ON '00/'03/'06/'09/'11/'16(x2)
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420

A nice, clean city with many helpful people with great attitudes. I felt very welcomed there on my lone visit back in '02.
  • Options
    in toronto in the last 30days. in broad daylight. 2 people were stabbed to death in the downtown core. normal folk this happened to. so yeah new orleans is real scary...
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    dr122931 said:

shep said:

shep said:

hrm...

T I

I live in Houston and am from Louisiana. Houston is a great city, but it certainly has the crime you described in your anti-Louisiana rant. One of my best friends was recently held up at gun point in the heights - which is a nice area (where I live). I've seen PJ in NOLA, but i will not be attending jazz fest If the rumors are correct because I don't enjoy festivals at this point In my life. I think the reason I-10 east is a parking lot on weekends is because Texas doesn't have gambling and Louisiana does. Also, as much as I love Houston, I think we can all agree NOLA is a much better place to spend a weekend opposed to Houston.
    All that being said, Houston needs a fucking show. Since they last played here on the riot act tour, I've had to spend thousands of dollars traveling to multiple states and countries to see my favorite band. Toyota center needs a show!
    I live in the heights too.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    shep said:

<

for amazing food, for incredible Fun and incredible music with culture i can't think of any other city that would come close. NYC is great but it ain't got bourbon street. that in itself is a sight to behold.
    curious as to what cities you think are better than NOLA?

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,152
    my2hands said:

$20 says Houston happens in 2016... any takers?

Not a betting man but I certainly hope so! I'd love to head over to Houston.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,458

shep said:

<

for amazing food, for incredible Fun and incredible music with culture i can't think of any other city that would come close. NYC is great but it ain't got bourbon street. that in itself is a sight to behold.
    curious as to what cities you think are better than NOLA?

Bourbon Street DOES NOT represent NOLA.....I feel sorry for anyone who thinks that's the best part of the city. I have been many many times, one walk down Bourbon is all anyone needs. But JF is a great time to experience NO music...go to Frenchman St instead
  • Options

Bourbon Street DOES NOT represent NOLA.....I feel sorry for anyone who thinks that's the best part of the city. I have been many many times, one walk down Bourbon is all anyone needs. But JF is a great time to experience NO music...go to Frenchman St instead

you can go where ever u want in nola ! heck take the dollar street car through the garden district if you are looking for quiet times....or go to mardi gras world(absolutely worth seeing)
    i've have had some of the best nights of my life on bourbon street and yes i've been to the spotted cat as well as some others on frenchman. the club/music scene after jazzfest every day is on another level...the club shows are as good as the main headlining acts on the acura stage! imo
    any ways bourban is what it is. some people like it. other people love it but there is still no street like that in america. if you like to party and hear some live music then go to bourbon right away!!!
    dancing to cover bands can be fun
  • Options
    Alpine Valley in 2016.....I can dream!!!!
    Indianapolis, Indiana 11-24-1991 East Troy, Wisconsin 08-29-1992 West Lafayette, Indiana 03-17-1994 Milwaukee, Wisconsin 07-09-1995 Chicago, Illinois 07-11-1995 East Troy, Wisconsin 06-26-1998 Auburn Hills, Michigan 10-07-2000 Chicago, Illinois 09-23-2002 Noblesville, Indiana 06-22-2003 Toledo, Ohio 10-02-2004 Chicago, Illinois 10-05-2005 Grand Rapids, MI 05-19-2006 Chicago, Illinois 08-02-2007 Chicago, Illinois 08-23-2009 Noblesville, Indiana 05-07-2010 East Troy, Wisconsin 09-03-2011 East Troy, Wisconsin 09-04-2011 Chicago, IL 07-19-2013
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I love great food and great music so I assume New Orleans is awesome... plus it doesn't seem like a velvet rope bottle service vip uptight hell hole like most large cities

that's why I loved Memphis... great culture... great music... and the best food you will ever eat served on paper plates... nothing uptight or exclusive about Memphis at all, I assume New Orleans is the same way
  • Options
    dr122931 said:

shep said:

shep said:

hrm...

T I

To be fair: At no point did I state that there isn't any crime in Houston... there's plenty of it. I also live in the heights, so my wife probably read me the same news article that you did...

I would rather spend a weekend in Houston with a show as opposed to having to travel to jazzfest and pay the pricing associated with that weekend. that is all. Sorry - guess I should have left my statement as that.

And for the record: I would rather spend any weekend in Houston than New Orleans (regardless of event or show), but I'm also a home body and I like my haunts in Houston as opposed to those I find myself at in NOLA. but that's just me. To each their own...

moving on with my day....
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    shep said:

dr122931 said:

shep said:

shep said:

hrm...

T I

To be fair: At no point did I state that there isn't any crime in Houston... there's plenty of it. I also live in the heights, so my wife probably read me the same news article that you did...

I would rather spend a weekend in Houston with a show as opposed to having to travel to jazzfest and pay the pricing associated with that weekend. that is all. Sorry - guess I should have left my statement as that.

And for the record: I would rather spend any weekend in Houston than New Orleans (regardless of event or show), but I'm also a home body and I like my haunts in Houston as opposed to those I find myself at in NOLA. but that's just me. To each their own... If I'm going to drive somewhere out of town for a weekend, I'll take the 2 hour drive to Austin and keep my money in Texas... maybe drive 3+ to Dallas for a hockey game... but blame the canadian in me for that...

moving on with my day....
  • Options
    my2hands said:

I love great food and great music so I assume New Orleans is awesome... plus it doesn't seem like a velvet rope bottle service vip uptight hell hole like most large cities

that's why I loved Memphis... great culture... great music... and the best food you will ever eat served on paper plates... nothing uptight or exclusive about Memphis at all, I assume New Orleans is the same way

i've never been to memphis but have heard the rave about it.
    this a person i know loved beale street and i told him that bourbon street will be nothing like it..it will be bigger and better...and i was right. i kept telling him to pace himself in a city like nola cause that city will beat you. so i made a bet with him that he wouldn't make it till 10pm the first night. he tapped my shoulder and said i'm off to bed 1 minute after 10pm. we went with 8 people did preservation hall, carriage ride etc etc
    america's greatest city. everyone needs to go there so they can find out for themselves and to the people who have only been once it's almost always on their list of a "must return"

• Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,892
    Anybody reach out to their contacts to find out when the shows are being announced/on sale? So many people had sources back in November.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale