Trophy Hunting

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    "Ms Kuhne Kleynhans added that the buffalo had been her brother-in-law’s favourite animal.

“He loved what he did,” she said. “He died doing what he loved.”

Good grief, what a crock!  He killed that which he loved? 

Karma!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I fully support the right to arm bears 
    my2hands said:
    I fully support the right to arm bears 
    Me too!

I also support the right to bare arms.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Is this worse than cattle or hogs in a slaughterhouse?
  • unsung said:
    Is this worse than cattle or hogs in a slaughterhouse?
    Trophy versus food. It's worse (but factory farms and slaughterhouses aren't great either).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    More humane over the lifetime?
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Anyone ever watch Life Below Zero?  I'll give the hunters on that show credit, they harvest and process their food from start to finish...they, unlike most of us know where there food comes from.

The hunting that I don't like are the hunters that bait for there prey...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • unsung said:

Maybe not.

There's something to be said for shooting an animal so you can cut its head off and mount it on a wall (or slice its tail off and pose for a macabre picture- leering like a f**king pedophile).
  • Anyone ever watch Life Below Zero?  I'll give the hunters on that show credit, they harvest and process their food from start to finish...they, unlike most of us know where there food comes from.

Like the f**kwad that dragged a dead antelope behind their jeep to lure Cecil the Lion out of the reserve so they could shoot it?

I swear I wouldn't lose an ounce of sleep if I heard of these types of pricks suffering misfortune. Truth be told, the hint of a smile might betray what I think of them and how concerned I might be. 
    Anyone ever watch Life Below Zero?  I'll give the hunters on that show credit, they harvest and process their food from start to finish...they, unlike most of us know where there food comes from.

Like the f**kwad that dragged a dead antelope behind their jeep to lure Cecil the Lion out of the reserve so they could shoot it?

I swear I wouldn't lose an ounce of sleep if I heard of these types of pricks suffering misfortune. Truth be told, the hint of a smile might betray what I think of them and how concerned I might be. 
    Yes, hunters here bait as well.  In the past I worked with hunters and they hunt bear and deer ... baiting should be illegal.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

Yes, hunters here bait as well.  In the past I worked with hunters and they hunt bear and deer ... baiting should be illegal.  
    Lol
    https://youtu.be/1sWnMDcCMQY

unsung said:

Maybe not.

There's something to be said for shooting an animal so you can cut its head off and mount it on a wall (or slice its tail off and pose for a macabre picture- leering like a f**king pedophile).
    No disagreement from me.  I don't hunt, but if I did it would be to eat, not to show off.
  • This psycho thanks the Lord for her good fortune: “Prayers for my once in a lifetime dream hunt came true today,” Ms Talley, 37, wrote. “Spotted this rare black giraffe bull and stalked him for quite awhile. I knew it was the one. He was over 18 years old, 4,000 lbs and was blessed to be able to get 2,000 lbs of meat from him.” 

She did it after posing for a selfie with the slain animal.

She also defended herself speaking to 'conservation through game management' (we can save animals by murdering them).

The 'celebrate diverse thought' (when defending poor thought) is catchy I guess: “I get that hunting is not for everyone. That’s what makes this world great is the differences. But to make threats to anyone because they don’t believe the way you do is completely unacceptable.” 

So, in other words, you don't have to like killing giraffes, but don't knock others that do.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/american-hunter-defends-black-giraffe-trophy-kill-after-images-posing-with-corpse-spark-outrage/ar-AAzwjPG?li=AAqARMz&ocid=edgsp
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,507
    This psycho thanks the Lord for her good fortune: “Prayers for my once in a lifetime dream hunt came true today,” Ms Talley, 37, wrote. “Spotted this rare black giraffe bull and stalked him for quite awhile. I knew it was the one. He was over 18 years old, 4,000 lbs and was blessed to be able to get 2,000 lbs of meat from him.” 

She did it after posing for a selfie with the slain animal.

She also defended herself speaking to 'conservation through game management' (we can save animals by murdering them).

The 'celebrate diverse thought' (when defending poor thought) is catchy I guess: “I get that hunting is not for everyone. That’s what makes this world great is the differences. But to make threats to anyone because they don’t believe the way you do is completely unacceptable.” 

So, in other words, you don't have to like killing giraffes, but don't knock others that do.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/american-hunter-defends-black-giraffe-trophy-kill-after-images-posing-with-corpse-spark-outrage/ar-AAzwjPG?li=AAqARMz&ocid=edgsp
    This is the kind of thinking that is ruining everything.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJinILPJinIL satan's bed Posts: 431
    Sometimes I think humans should have open season to thin the herd, keep the species stronger and smarter. 

Not a hunter, but I understand there is a time and place for selective hunting. This giraffe hunt seems to fit that scenario...old bull had killed a couple younger bulls and couldn't breed anymore. The meat went to feed locals, and she paid a pretty penny for the hunt. As with anything, lots of people being pulled in polar extremes without really looking into the story. Disagree with the act of hunting, that's totally legit, but it's not some shady hunter on the loose or poaching.
    It's amazing what you hear when you take time to listen.
    edited July 2018
    PJinIL said:
    Sometimes I think humans should have open season to thin the herd, keep the species stronger and smarter. 

Not a hunter, but I understand there is a time and place for selective hunting. This giraffe hunt seems to fit that scenario...old bull had killed a couple younger bulls and couldn't breed anymore. The meat went to feed locals, and she paid a pretty penny for the hunt. As with anything, lots of people being pulled in polar extremes without really looking into the story. Disagree with the act of hunting, that's totally legit, but it's not some shady hunter on the loose or poaching.
    I don't know if any of that matters.
    Why is this woman in a photo with the giraffe she just murdered? Because she gets joy and pride out of killing. That is what's offensive. She is clearly killing for FUN. She can make all the excuses she wants to after the fact, and babble about meat and non-breeding age and everything all she wants. All we need to do is look at that photo and read her description of the hunt to know those are all just excuses being used to pad the core truth - that she is killing for entertainment and a sense of power.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Anybody that shoots a giraffe is a loser
    PJinIL said:

But if we provided adequate habitat for wildlife and corridors for their migration, we would not need to artificially "thin the herd".  Nature and its marvelous sense of balance would take care of that on its own.  By continuing to escalate our human-centered vision of and interaction with the natural world, we are screwing up natures balances and will eventually (if not already) put our own species on the endangered list. 

• PJinILPJinIL satan's bed Posts: 431
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJinIL said:

Why is this woman in a photo with the giraffe she just murdered? Because she gets joy and pride out of killing. That is what's offensive. She is clearly killing for FUN. She can make all the excuses she wants to after the fact, and babble about meat and non-breeding age and everything all she wants. All we need to do is look at that photo and read her description of the hunt to know those are all just excuses being used to pad the core truth - that she is killing for entertainment and a sense of power.
    I agree she may not have had the purest of intentions and it's of questionable taste to post pics of the kill with such pride. However, apples to apples, (let's not inject endangered status here) she's doing nothing different than the average deer hunter in the US - above board, legal, and thinks it's kinda cool to be able to shoot a gun (or bow, whatever) and kill an animal.   

There are two separate issues here:
    Disgust for her behavior, regardless of legality. If she wanted to take a thoughtful image of herself with the giraffe, fine, just be tasteful. She was not, in my opinion, and am not a fan of the pointing to god/sky pose. I'm ok with the simple kneeling pose for some reason.

Disgust for exotic hunting. There are proven methods for conservation of endangered animals. So, we have to decide if the lives of some animals are worth keeping the species alive, or are these lives all sacredly precious even if the hands-off approach ultimately hurts it?

Lux: I am with you on providing wildlife more habitat to let nature take its course. Humans are the problem, and in thinning the herd, I meant thinning the HUMAN herd :) We're usually the problem.

If she'd gone on vacation, brought her gun, and just went out and shot this giraffe, this is a very different conversation, and she should be hung out by society to dry and used a poster child for wildlife conservation reform. This was not the case, so for the angry, go grind your ax at the programs, not the individuals.
    It's amazing what you hear when you take time to listen.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,818
    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/07/05/gang-rhino-poachers-mauled-to-death-by-pride-lions-after-breaking-into-game-reserve.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+foxnews/world+(Internal+-+World+Latest+-+Text)

'Gang' of rhino poachers mauled to death by pride of lions after breaking into game reserve

At least three suspected rhino poachers have been killed by a pride of lions after they broke into a game reserve in South Africa.

Rangers discovered human remains around 4:30 p.m. local time on July 3 in the immediate vicinity of the lions’ territory at the Sibuya Game Reserve in Kenton-on-Sea in the Eastern Cape, more than 24 hours after an anti-poaching dog alerted her handler that something was amiss.

The ranger however did not examine the disturbance further because it was not unusual to hear the lions at night.

When members of the anti-poaching unit investigated, they recovered human remains, a high-powered rifle with a silencer, wire cutters, an axe and three pairs of shoes.

Nick Fox, the park’s owner, said the lions were shot with tranquilizer darts at first light so police forensic teams and the anti-poaching unit could comb the area for clues, and admitted it was not clear how many poachers may have been killed.

“The only body part we found was one skull and one bit of pelvis, everything else was completely gone,” he told Newsweek. “There is so little left that they don’t know exactly how many people were killed, we suspect three because we found three sets of shoes and three sets of gloves.”

He added: “They came heavily armed with hunting rifles and axes which we have recovered and enough food to last them for several days so we suspect they were after all of our rhinos here. But the lions are our watchers and guardians and they picked the wrong pride and became a meal.”

Police spokeswoman Captain Mali Govender said: “We do not know identities but firearms have been taken by the police and will be sent to the ballistics laboratory to see if they have been used in poaching before.”

In 2016, the reserve saw three of its rhinos shot dead by poachers who broke into the reserve to cut off their horns. All books with the reserve include an option Rhino Levy where the proceeds are donated to a fund fighting poaching.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10 said:
    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/07/05/gang-rhino-poachers-mauled-to-death-by-pride-lions-after-breaking-into-game-reserve.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+foxnews/world+(Internal+-+World+Latest+-+Text)

'Gang' of rhino poachers mauled to death by pride of lions after breaking into game reserve

At least three suspected rhino poachers have been killed by a pride of lions after they broke into a game reserve in South Africa.

Rangers discovered human remains around 4:30 p.m. local time on July 3 in the immediate vicinity of the lions’ territory at the Sibuya Game Reserve in Kenton-on-Sea in the Eastern Cape, more than 24 hours after an anti-poaching dog alerted her handler that something was amiss.

The ranger however did not examine the disturbance further because it was not unusual to hear the lions at night.

When members of the anti-poaching unit investigated, they recovered human remains, a high-powered rifle with a silencer, wire cutters, an axe and three pairs of shoes.

Nick Fox, the park’s owner, said the lions were shot with tranquilizer darts at first light so police forensic teams and the anti-poaching unit could comb the area for clues, and admitted it was not clear how many poachers may have been killed.

“The only body part we found was one skull and one bit of pelvis, everything else was completely gone,” he told Newsweek. “There is so little left that they don’t know exactly how many people were killed, we suspect three because we found three sets of shoes and three sets of gloves.”

He added: “They came heavily armed with hunting rifles and axes which we have recovered and enough food to last them for several days so we suspect they were after all of our rhinos here. But the lions are our watchers and guardians and they picked the wrong pride and became a meal.”

Police spokeswoman Captain Mali Govender said: “We do not know identities but firearms have been taken by the police and will be sent to the ballistics laboratory to see if they have been used in poaching before.”

In 2016, the reserve saw three of its rhinos shot dead by poachers who broke into the reserve to cut off their horns. All books with the reserve include an option Rhino Levy where the proceeds are donated to a fund fighting poaching.

There is a god!
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,818
    mcgruff10 said:

There is a god!
    I fucking hate poachers. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    PJinIL said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJinIL said:

I agree she may not have had the purest of intentions and it's of questionable taste to post pics of the kill with such pride. However, apples to apples, (let's not inject endangered status here) she's doing nothing different than the average deer hunter in the US - above board, legal, and thinks it's kinda cool to be able to shoot a gun (or bow, whatever) and kill an animal.   

Disgust for her behavior, regardless of legality. If she wanted to take a thoughtful image of herself with the giraffe, fine, just be tasteful. She was not, in my opinion, and am not a fan of the pointing to god/sky pose. I'm ok with the simple kneeling pose for some reason.

Disgust for exotic hunting. There are proven methods for conservation of endangered animals. So, we have to decide if the lives of some animals are worth keeping the species alive, or are these lives all sacredly precious even if the hands-off approach ultimately hurts it?

Lux: I am with you on providing wildlife more habitat to let nature take its course. Humans are the problem, and in thinning the herd, I meant thinning the HUMAN herd :) We're usually the problem.

If she'd gone on vacation, brought her gun, and just went out and shot this giraffe, this is a very different conversation, and she should be hung out by society to dry and used a poster child for wildlife conservation reform. This was not the case, so for the angry, go grind your ax at the programs, not the individuals.
    Yeah, I'm against all hunting unless the hunter truly needs to do it for food, so saying it's nothing different than deer hunting doesn't help the argument for me in the context of this story. Even if someone does kill a deer out of necessity, and then takes photos like that with the carcass afterwards, I think it's absolutely disgusting. Killing anything just for fun or sport, and to basically dishonour the animal that was just murdered, makes me sick. I don't see how pointing to the sky or kneeling or whatever else make any difference. In all cases the person is clearly proud and/or gleeful about killing something, and they want to show off their "great human feat" of pointing a machine at something and pulling the trigger, and that is not okay for me. It's gross.
    But it's not the same anyhow. The fact that it's an endangered species does in fact make a big difference. And no, I'm really not buying her excuses about conservation. That had nothing to do with her real motives in any case, so even if her excuses are really true, it's irrelevant. But I also disagree that that is the best conservation method, and yes, I do know a fair bit about the subject. That is a controversial debate among conservation experts.
  • PJinIL said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJinIL said:

Let's not compare a deer hunter hunting a deer for venison to a giraffe hunter hunting a giraffe for a macabre selfie.

People who go to Africa to kill for thrill are f**kwads. 
    Sadly all hunting is government sanctioned ... trophy hunters are despicable human beings.  Subsistence hunters are fine...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited July 2018
    Sadly all hunting is government sanctioned ... trophy hunters are despicable human beings.  Subsistence hunters are fine...
    Not all hunting. Tons of illegal hunting goes on all over the place. But yeah, all trophy hunters are rotten to the core as far as I'm concerned.
    I agree that subsistence hunters can be fine, but it still depends on their methods, and I think that it's just as sick for them glorify their act of killing and to desecrate the animal by taking happy photos with their corpses. Subsistence hunters who actually do it humanely and respectfully are okay for me.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Not all hunting. Tons of illegal hunting goes on all over the place. But yeah, all trophy hunters are rotten to the core as far as I'm concerned.
    I agree that subsistence hunters can be fine, but it still depends on their methods, and I think that it's just as sick for them glorify their act of killing and to desecrate the animal by taking happy photos with their corpses. Subsistence hunters who actually do it humanely and respectfully are okay for me.
    Subsistence hunters that hunt ethically and respect the animal and use every part of the animal for their subsistence lifestyle is ok with me.  I absolutely admire people who live the subsistence lifestyle.  They are far smarter than the rest of society.  They can easily survive on their own.  The whole problem anymore is people are becoming to dependent on help  from the government and the government is to dependent on taxpayers....
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited July 2018
    We have grown very detached from our food. I have respect for hunters that kill what they eat. I've said it before... it's a hell of a lot better than the Costco shopper buying factory farmed meats in boxes.

* On a side note... apparently the lions that ate  the poachers urinated on their rifles. THAT... is awesome.
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
    We have grown very detached from our food. I have respect for hunters that kill what they eat. I've said it before... it's a hell of a lot better than the Costco shopper buying factory farmed meats in boxes.

* On a side note... apparently the lions that ate  the poachers urinated on their rifles. THAT... is awesome.
    I agree with about the  government meat at the stores...
    Give Peas A Chance…