Options

Would Pearl Jam's fan base, both casual and hardcore....

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Why is everyone hung up on country? Go back and read my initial post. In addition to country I put acoustic, reggae..shoot let's add electronic, or any other style.

Is PJ suppose to just release a bunch of Backspacer's for the rest of their career?

If PJ came out with a record that sounded similar to Jack Whites "Lazaretto" would that be so bad?
    Post edited by Ten Backspaced Riot Actors on
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited May 2015

Why is everyone hung up on country?

To accentuate what Pearl Jam fans will not accept from this band.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301
    If you asked this question to dead heads in 1968 and the band listened you wouldn't have their 2 best albums
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Why is everyone hung up on country?

To accentuate what Pearl Jam fans will not accept.
    Haha, that has been made perfectly clear. I still believe, if done with taste, it could work.

Im thinking it would be neat if they used more instruments in the creative/recording process. And not be bogged down with the same formula, everytime.
  • Options
    SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736

Understand if their next record was country, reggae, acoustic inspired? In other words, could you be forgiving of them if they took a big chance in the studio, and dropped, or seriously underplayed, their rock roots?

AND

They played a tour in support in which the songs played each night ONLY comprised of songs from albums, Binural on? 2000 till present..

I would love to see thm, this late in their career take chances like these two examples...that's the Pearl Jam I grew up loving.

What do you think?

Edited to change time line of songs to pull from for live shows - from Backspacer to Binural

I think they've dropped individual songs which unto themselves have been very country or reggae or acoustically-inspired, so a whole album in a particular vein wouldn't be that tough for me to accept at all.

I am behind the times and do not own Lightning Bolt yet. Backspacer is also far from my favourite PJ record, so the tour of post-2000s songs would actually be the thing I'd be less accepting of, notwithstanding my love for Pearl Jam, Riot Act and especially Binaural.
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Hardcore fans would eat it up and say "in 10 years you'll all be hailing this album as the artistic peak". I mean....they justified Backspacer with that excuse.

I'd like to hear them do a lot more experimenting, but keeping it closer to their wheel house. No Code, Binaural and Riot Act have quite a bit, but the songs are still firmly rooted in the PJ style. The biggest issue with the last three albums, to different extents, is that they make the stew, and it's edible, but it's missing that secret ingredient that sets it off and gives it that unique flavor. I think that LB was a step in the right direction, but it still lacks much outside the major PJ sound.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888

Why is everyone hung up on country? Go back and read my initial post. In addition to country I put acoustic, reggae..shoot let's add electronic, or any other style.

Is PJ suppose to just release a bunch of Backspacer's for the rest of their career?

If PJ came out with a record that sounded similar to Jack Whites "Lazaretto" would that be so bad?

i'm assuming you haven't heard reggae woman. ed doesn't do reggae too well.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148

Stylized albums are desperate and campy. They're usually done when the artists realizes they are no longer relevant to their current market, so they reinvent their sound to appeal to audiences less familiar with them.

95% of the time it comes across as a cash grab instead of "experimental and interesting".

Not exactly true. Clapton off the top
    of my head did that album where he experimented with different laid back island styles, including reggae, and had a hit with I shot the sheriff. Don't think Clapton thought he was irrelevant, just wanted to play what he was feeling.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,841
    Wasn't Crazy Mary an outtake from the infamous country album they recorded but never released?
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    I like each one of the albums in their own way, especially Backspacer, Riot Act, No Code and LB.

However, besides Ed's Ukulele Songs, I don't see a cohesive theme in any of their records, just songs that are sequenced perfectly. Applying an alternate genre seems foolish and like something they'd almost never do as a collective.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543

Understand if their next record was country, reggae, acoustic inspired? In other words, could you be forgiving of them if they took a big chance in the studio, and dropped, or seriously underplayed, their rock roots?

AND

They played a tour in support in which the songs played each night ONLY comprised of songs from albums, Binural on? 2000 till present..

I would love to see thm, this late in their career take chances like these two examples...that's the Pearl Jam I grew up loving.

What do you think?

Edited to change time line of songs to pull from for live shows - from Backspacer to Binural

I am open minded, but would not be cool with a country or reggae album because I can't stand either of those genres. But generally, I'm open to change... It just comes down to whether I like the sound of it or not. If it happened to be a style that hurts my ears like country or raggae, I would be very disappointed, but what are you going to do? The band's going to do what they want to do. I would just not be interested in listening to the album. Not the end of the world. They already have one album I don't like, and my life has not changed because of it! ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,165
    We accepted an album of ukulele songs from Eddie, so I would say that the hardcore fans would. The touring issue would be a little more difficult to swallow. The casual fans would be upset if they went to a show and didn't get any of the old standards, and I've seen hardcore fans upset by much smaller things.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    mattcoz said:

We accepted an album of ukulele songs from Eddie, so I would say that the hardcore fans would. The touring issue would be a little more difficult to swallow. The casual fans would be upset if they went to a show and didn't get any of the old standards, and I've seen hardcore fans upset by much smaller things.

For any of their album tours, the shows usually only have maybe 7 or so of the songs from the new album, so I don't think this happening (i.e. PJ releasing an album that people can't stand and/or is way out of their genre) would have THAT big an impact on the live experience.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited May 2015

I like each one of the albums in their own way, especially Backspacer, Riot Act, No Code and LB.

However, besides Ed's Ukulele Songs, I don't see a cohesive theme in any of their records, just songs that are sequenced perfectly. Applying an alternate genre seems foolish and like something they'd almost never do as a collective.

Unless they put themselves into a position where they would have no choice but to be influenced by the music around them. For example, record a record somewhere other than Seattle (or where ever they have been recently). Perhaps it could be a town that has a vibrant music history/scene, i.e. New Orleans, Nashville, Chicago, whatever. If they immersed themselves with those local cultures, even temporarily, I can't help but think that the music would sound fresh..

And i wouldn't expect them to sound like a different band, but go listen to Neil Youngs 'Words" from Harvest. That outro is a thing of beauty and it has steel guitars which are a country influence. Could you imagine PJ doing something similar, where McCready has this new canvas to work on?
    Post edited by Ten Backspaced Riot Actors on
  • Options
    That's just one example btw..
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    hell yeah & have them play shows of Nascar Race tracks tour only i'd wear those stupid american flag head bands lol ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited May 2015
    depends on what it is....

I typically am not a huge Tom Petty fan... but he went through a big blues phase with Mojo and I really, really dig that album. But I really like Blues music

I dont really dig country, electric, pop, etc so I doubt I would like any of that.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

depends on what it is....

I typically am not a huge Tom Petty fan... but he went through a big blues phase with Mojo and I really, really dig that album. But I really like Blues music

I dont really dig country, electric, pop, etc so I doubt I would like any of that.

That's a great example. Tom Petty is one of those guys that does incorporate many different sounds from album to album. He is GREAT in the studio from a production standpoint. Great songwriter, of course. . So there is no surprise that he is a legend.

Which is kinda what I was saying earlier. We know that the band idolizes, or deeply respects, Petty. Don't you think they want to open it...just a little, and explore new sonic avenues?

How about a folk album? I'm in!
  • Options
    The Stones incorporated a horn section in part on Exile...Great F@ckin album.

Challenge me PJ! I know you have it in you.
  • Options

The Stones incorporated a horn section in part on Exile...Great F@ckin album.

Challenge me PJ! I know you have it in you.

Yeah, right?? I'd LOVE for them get experimental with their style! ... Just as long as it doesn't suck. :lol:
  • Options
    I dunno....there's a lot more space to fill in a band like the Stones or Petty when you look at PJ's output, especially the more recent stuff.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

I dunno....there's a lot more space to fill in a band like the Stones or Petty when you look at PJ's output, especially the more recent stuff.

I don't follow?
  • Options
    A lot more loud or busy guitar parts in PJ. Not really much space for auxiliary musicians in a lot of their past work. Some of their songs sorta unnecessarily have 3 guitars and when they add in keys it's sound cramped at times. Add in another instrument or 2 fighting for the same musical space and things could get messy quick.

Petty and the Stones have a lot of clean jangly guitars and a much more laid back vibe to their tunes overall. Leaves a lot more space for different instrumentation. They can have 3 guitars, keys a horn section, and a backup vocal choir and still not cramp things up.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,409
    Yes if they're good. And this band has shown the capability to do good to great songs. Elderly Woman, Of the Girl, Just Breathe, LTRP, SBM, all good songs. I liked Ukulele Songs. I liked Stone's versions of Never Gonna Give You Up and 1999. I like Drifting.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

A lot more loud or busy guitar parts in PJ. Not really much space for auxiliary musicians in a lot of their past work. Some of their songs sorta unnecessarily have 3 guitars and when they add in keys it's sound cramped at times. Add in another instrument or 2 fighting for the same musical space and things could get messy quick.

Petty and the Stones have a lot of clean jangly guitars and a much more laid back vibe to their tunes overall. Leaves a lot more space for different instrumentation. They can have 3 guitars, keys a horn section, and a backup vocal choir and still not cramp things up.

But couldn't they make some adjustments to make added instrumentation possible?

One of the things I liked about the production on Vialoghy thru Yield was that the band would do the right thing for the song. For example, If that meant that McCreadys part didn't work for the studio recording (too busy) they would remove it, or edit it to the point of where it makes the best sense in context of the recording. Not to pick on Mike. But they would do what's right for the record.

Around Binaural and beyond, you can hear all 5 members playing, almost like they recorded live. Everyone is on each track. As a result the records that they have made do not feel like much more than a glorified live album.

I know why they do this, to be fair to each member, and thats respectible, but I would argue that this is one of the reasons that there is no space for added layering. And I believe that their records have suffered as a result from a dynamics perspective.

It's a self editing, and hard conversations issue.