Options

Would Pearl Jam's fan base, both casual and hardcore....

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    I hope none of you are qualifying today's country as 'country.' Cos' it isn't anything like it.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    edited May 2015

I really don't see it happening. I don't see them EVER going outside their comfort level to a new producer or trying to sound like anyone else. I get the impression that they do what they want. I don't get the impression they answer to record company douches.
    My opinion, PJ will continue to self produce (with BO'B) more records that sound like whatever naturally comes after Riot Act/Avacado/BackSpacer/LB.
    The band will not undertake a radical departure from their established sound, just evolve.

Which is funny to me...that a band that was in part inspired to create music by artists who evolved over time would be so reluctant to change themselves.

• Options
    dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    I would suggest that they do already use aspects of other genres in the songs, and they also need to think what would work in markets outside of the USA (Country isn't big in the UK in any form lol). Whilst it is all about the music, they are not 'signed' so have to self support records/tours as far as I am aware.
    However, I do think there are ways they can shake it up..maybe use a different producer. I would love to hear how another person other than BoB works with them. I know many will not like this idea but hell, I'd love to see them work with Dave Grohl or Josh Homme.
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    If they came out with an album more than once every few years I'd be ok with them doing experimental records. To wait five years and have them drop an all country album would be devastating.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited May 2015
    ^^
    I reckon they are making the best darn country record this side of the west right now.
    No tours after SA for 3years while they focus on the country album.
    Can't wait to not buy that album!
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

^^
    I reckon they are making the best darn country record this side of the west right now.

Would you NOT pick me up a copy too!!!
    :rofl:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options

^^

Lol. Alt country, it would sound like alternative rock, but with some country influence..not a full blown Tim McGraw album.
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    acoustic would be cool actually, but the others bleh
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Imagine "of the girl" with an ominous steel guitar in the background to compliment Mccready's noodling or "Drifting" done regee.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,757
    Stylized albums are desperate and campy. They're usually done when the artists realizes they are no longer relevant to their current market, so they reinvent their sound to appeal to audiences less familiar with them.

95% of the time it comes across as a cash grab instead of "experimental and interesting".
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,841
    If it looks like duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....it's probably a duck.
    If it looks like a duck, prowls like a lion and whinnies like a horse....wtf is it?
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    jjflash said:

If it looks like duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....it's probably a duck.
    If it looks like a duck, prowls like a lion and whinnies like a horse....wtf is it?

platypus?
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options

Stylized albums are desperate and campy. They're usually done when the artists realizes they are no longer relevant to their current market, so they reinvent their sound to appeal to audiences less familiar with them.

95% of the time it comes across as a cash grab instead of "experimental and interesting".

As a PJ fan I would find it interesting if they tried different styles.

So I disagree and would look at it more as another color on the palette that is their career, imo.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Pearl Jam fans that have been with them since album one can be described as "Like sugar, the guests are so refined"

If Pearl Jam is running in the dark and come up to a which way sign and choose country a blackout will weave it's way through the fans.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

So I disagree and would look at it more as another color on the palette that is their career, imo.
    This is a nice way to state it.

Can't say if it'd be "good" - and really, that's so subjective - but I admire musicians who take themselves beyond the usual or even the expected. Look at Jack White, so many genres within his catalogue; hell, look at Blind Melon, who took a left mid-song when you thought it was going right.

To quote another band whose members have individually and collectively spread their wings - spiral out, keep going. Applies to any art and actually, to most actions, mindsets.

Music (at least to me) is more about creator vs ears. I'm just lucky to catch a ride in these badass cars.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

For all those saying "no way" to country inspired songs, "Drifting" sounds very country like to me...

And that's why it landed on Lost Dogs as opposed to a traditional studio album. My daughter happens to like it, which is why I'll play it but it just isn't my thing. I grew up with my family trying to shove country music down my throat. I didn't like it then and certainly will NOT buy it now. Country or country inspired-- no thank you.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    SD48277 said:

jjflash said:

platypus?
    Penis?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Personally, I'm not going to say no to anything until I've heard it, though I don't think I'd be delighted by a country album.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJForceofNaturePJForceofNature Posts: 3,087
    I wouldn't go with a country album, but definitely an acoustic one!
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883

For all those saying "no way" to country inspired songs, "Drifting" sounds very country like to me...

Drifting is so popular with the band they ve played it a whopping six times live.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Drifting is so popular with the band they ve played it a whopping six times live.
    Which show was that when they brought out a string band of kids for that song?
    I remember that one too.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883

mcgruff10 said:

I remember that one too.
    Maybe one of the bridge shows?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I remember that one too.
    Maybe one of the bridge shows?
    I remember again the lights going down and focusing on this one particular girl violinist that EV said "pay attention to these kids, they are onstage with us"

That was an incredible version.
    Drifting chorus with the violin live was amazing.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    I loved how Strangest Tribe was its flip-side.

Polar opposites in how I took each in.

Good memories associated with both songs, and that time.
  • Options
    pljampljam Posts: 387
    Country music is about as enjoyable as rearranging a toe nail collection
    25 MINUTES TO GO is as close as they got I think which I actually do like but hopefully it that was as far as they push it.
    As stated in a reply above "if not broken,don't fix it.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,543
    What's "regee"?

• Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,757

Maybe Pearl Jam can be the opening act on the next Darius Rucker and Aaron Lewis tour.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    edited May 2015

B

What's "regee"?

It's a typo for reggae. Thanks
    Post edited by Ten Backspaced Riot Actors on
  • Options
    All I can say is thanks to the OP, as I'm on a wonderfully serious (or seriously wonderful) PJ kick at the moment.

(out on the road and line high!)
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Ween made a country album and I thought it kind of worked. Hahaha