Would Pearl Jam's fan base, both casual and hardcore....

edited May 2015 in The Porch
Understand if their next record was country, reggae, acoustic inspired? In other words, could you be forgiving of them if they took a big chance in the studio, and dropped, or seriously underplayed, their rock roots?

AND

They played a tour in support in which the songs played each night ONLY comprised of songs from albums, Binural on? 2000 till present..

I would love to see thm, this late in their career take chances like these two examples...that's the Pearl Jam I grew up loving.

What do you think?

Edited to change time line of songs to pull from for live shows - from Backspacer to Binural
Post edited by Ten Backspaced Riot Actors on

Comments

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Country is gross. Please, no.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    deadendp said:

Could you imagine a bluegrass album?
    ELITIST FUK
  • deadendp said:

I'm thinking less along the lines of Garth Brooks, and more along the lines of Wilco...Like alt country
  • oh god I am scared that this could happen now :skull:

What if all the songs will sound like LTRP?
  • SD48277 said:

deadendp said:

Could you imagine a bluegrass album?
    The key word being inspired.... maybe when appropriate, add some new instruments, keyboards, steel guitar, mandolin...

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
  • oh god I am scared that this could happen now :skull:

What if all the songs will sound like LTRP?

Ltrp is not a great song...it has good ideas.

Example, do you like Rem's losing my religion? Would that song be the same if not for the instruments used?

In the end, I believe, that the songs, if good, can survive any any style you play them in..
  • S

If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

I wouldn't argue that it's broken....they love Neil Young...he prolly did a bluegrass album..when you have a long career, isn't it more interesting to mix it up?
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I would not buy a country pearl jam CD.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    I would not travel to see a post-Backspacer only show and wouldn't go to multiple shows if close.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    No way in hell I d buy this type of album or go and see more than one show.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    There's taking chances, then there's being stupid. Country, bluegrass, what the fuck? Hell no!!!

That being said, I would probably support anything that comes from a genuine, passionate place. Lightning Bolt was not one of my favourite albums upon first listen, but I could sense the love and care that went into it so it grew on me.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Acoustic, yes. Anything else, no.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • edited May 2015
    Suziemay said:

There's taking chances, then there's being stupid. Country, bluegrass, what the fuck? Hell no!!!

That being said, I would probably support anything that comes from a genuine, passionate place. Lightning Bolt was not one of my favourite albums upon first listen, but I could sense the love and care that went into it so it grew on me.

I totally agree it would be awful if PJ came on stage with on harmonicas and mandolins, but as far as songwriting do you think they would be inspired to create better music if they explored new territory?

I mean PJ will always sound like themselves. Look at Springstien...he in corporates horns, and all kinds of other stuff....
    Post edited by Ten Backspaced Riot Actors on
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    I love bluegrass but I don't think PJ could pull it off. I don't think stone could pull off a banjo. Country, no thanks. Acoustic? Of course!

They take risks but I don't think they would take one this big. Maybe in 15 years or so. They're not even good enough musicians to play with a lot of the famous guys/gals out there like many other bands do nowadays. They'd get schooled by some of the bands out there. they've always said they're not that good.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Honestly, when listening to bootlegs, I get to the point where I do not want to hear State of Love and Trust, or Evenflow....I mean these songs are great, but I have heard them about as much as I can.
  • I love bluegrass but I don't think PJ could pull it off. I don't think stone could pull off a banjo. Country, no thanks. Acoustic? Of course!

They take risks but I don't think they would take one this big. Maybe in 15 years or so. They're not even good enough musicians to play with a lot of the famous guys/gals out there like many other bands do nowadays. They'd get schooled by some of the bands out there. they've always said they're not that good.

Would you be ok if they invited studio musicians in to add color to what they naturally do? Think Parting Ways..
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,376
    No.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• on2legs said:

No.

Why? PJ are not a punk band. Why should they have the ethos of one?
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136

I love bluegrass but I don't think PJ could pull it off. I don't think stone could pull off a banjo. Country, no thanks. Acoustic? Of course!

Would you be ok if they invited studio musicians in to add color to what they naturally do? Think Parting Ways..
    Yeah I'd definitely be down with that, sure. Brendan o Brian has played on several songs and the string section on just breathe they toured with obviously, so they've done it before. Honestly if just like to see them spend more time together and write together before they put out another album. I think distance, age, families, and life have changed the band into what they are now. Not that's it's bad, I freaking love it, but it's a lot different than what they were writing when they were younger and lived together and jammed together like during the first 3 or 4 or 5 albums.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • For all those saying "no way" to country inspired songs, "Drifting" sounds very country like to me...
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    I'm all with the acoustic. Chris Cornell put out that wierd album with timbalake a few years ago. I didn't really like it but I didn't abandon my enjoyment of his other music. Then that acoustic bootleg from Sweden got really popular and he launched an acoustic tour which morpohed into a live acoustic album, which is now morphing into an acoustic album (which is what I thought he'd do way back in the day when he put out his first acoustic album, as Seasons/Sunshower were his only solo work and were both awesome).

PJ could go out in left field and try something. If I don't like it there's plenty other stuff to listen to. I loved Into the Wild but didn't really dig Uke Songs, but I still buy another Eddie Vedder solo record.

I don't think you can do a tour from backspacer and lightning bolt. It would be a 75 minute show tops :) That would suck.

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,376

on2legs said:

No.

Why? PJ are not a punk band. Why should they have the ethos of one?
    Experimenting for one song is interesting. An entire album and tour is an awful idea.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164

Suziemay said:

I totally agree it would be awful if PJ came on stage with on harmonicas and mandolins, but as far as songwriting do you think they would be inspired to create better music if they explored new territory?

I mean PJ will always sound like themselves. Look at Springstien...he in corporates horns, and all kinds of other stuff....
    I think they are inspired and invigorated when collaborating with others or write songs that maybe wouldn't be suitable for Pearl Jam, which is why I whole-heartedly support their side projects or when Ed goes off solo. They don't have to explore other genres to be inspired.
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,765

For all those saying "no way" to country inspired songs, "Drifting" sounds very country like to me...

I remember thinking (way back when these songs were first released and I was younger and less openinded) that off he goes and around the bend were "too country". I'm all for pj experimenting in any way their creativity takes them. Whatever drives their heartbeat it's all good to me.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    I think we have seen all we are going to see from Pearl Jam. Be prepared for lightning bolt part 2 or Backspacer 3 depending on how you look at it. I don't say that in a negative way but I think it is tough to get 5 people to all change. We'll continue to get solid rock records and great live shows.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    if they play GHOST ,i wouldnt have pro to go even if they play backspacer in trance ambient style
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • I liked where they were No Code through Riot Act. That felt like a band searching for something. The trouble is we all have a tendency to fall into a rut if we only do what is expected. I feel like PJ is capable of another GREAT album. But they need to do something to shake up the comfortable position they have afforded themselves...
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    I really don't see it happening. I don't see them EVER going outside their comfort level to a new producer or trying to sound like anyone else. I get the impression that they do what they want. I don't get the impression they answer to record company douches.
    My opinion, PJ will continue to self produce (with BO'B) more records that sound like whatever naturally comes after Riot Act/Avacado/BackSpacer/LB.
    The band will not undertake a radical departure from their established sound, just evolve.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Just breathe is as close to country as you can get. Fortunately it's not a good country song as Willie Nelson proved.