***The Official 'Did You Know??' Thread***

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    DYK that in WWI, British Intelligence used semen as invisible ink?
  • For real? That wasn't mentioned in the book I read, lol

Did you know that a Picasso painting sold for a record $179 US today???
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    Hmmm no.. Crazy!

Did you know that Gold, Copper, Lead, or nickel is used to color stained glass? And that the Flux is Copper and Nickel based..?
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243

For real? That wasn't mentioned in the book I read, lol

Did you know that a Picasso painting sold for a record $179 US today???

Yes, I just saw that. Makes getting a Benny on eBay seem almost reasonable. Almost.

Did you know that red hair with blue eyes is the rarest combination on the world?

ELITIST FUK
  • Whispering Hands - no I didn't know that!

Yes, I knew that about redheads!

Did you know that there's a UFO landing Pad in St. Paul, Alberta, Canada?
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    Lmao!! Really??? That's great!!

Did you know pigs glow in the dark.. ( for real, not making that up!)
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited May 2015
    No. That's awesome though.

Did you know that 1/4 cup of vinegar in your rinse cycle of the wash is a natural fabric softener, and makes your clothes a little brighter and non-static?, and saves a lot of money not having to buy bounce sheets.

edit - 1/4
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Posts: 12,158
    edited May 2015
    For real? I think your making that up. How can that be true!?

Edit: did not know that about vinegar? What about the smell though??

Did you know that ants never sleep and they don't have lungs?
    Post edited by The Waiting Trophy Man on
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    Well, I think ants do sleep, although who knows what they dream about? Yes, I knew they don't have lungs because none of the insects do; they respirate through tiny holes/tubes in their abdomen.

Did you know that hummingbirds have to consume half of their body weight in sugar a day?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • For real? I think your making that up. How can that be true!?

It is true.
    I have been doing this for years.
    Some of my friends think I am a vinegar nutzo.
    Beware, you are about to learn the power of vinegar
    http://vinegartips.com/categories/laundry/

Vinegar is natural and the smell dissipates quickly when using it for anything.
    In the laundry there is zero smell.

Sorry for the side track guys.

It is true.
    Don't tell me you work for the Vinegar Marketing Board....

It is true.
    Also, I can hardly wait to find out how the house smells after I've boiled dirty gym socks in vinegar overnight.

It is true.
    Also, I can hardly wait to find out how the house smells after I've boiled dirty gym socks in vinegar overnight.
    You don't boil overnight.
    Bring it to a slow boil turn off heat and then let sit overnight. (I haven't done this) but is how I read the tip
    I'm telling you, once you start using vinegar you will be addicted.
    The results are instant and tangible.

It is true.
    Bring it to a slow boil turn off heat and then let sit overnight. (I haven't done this) but is how I read the tip
    I see. It's not vinegar marketing, it's a vinegar addiction.
  • northerndragonnortherndragon Posts: 9,851

It is true.
    I see. It's not vinegar marketing, it's a vinegar addiction.
    It really is great, the best way to get a grease stain out of clothes is to rub a little white vinegar onto the spot let it sit for a couple of hours and then wash. Will have to try the vinegar as a fabric softener deal.

In other news, my grandfather, two of my nieces and my BIL all have red hair and blue eyes. We are a rare and magical family :wink:
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    DYKT you can add baking soda to the vinegar as well? Just be sure to use a big pot, vinegar + baking soda =a foamy mess.
    http://naturehacks.com/why-vinegar-and-baking-powder-and-hydrogen-peroxide-is-as-effective-as-bleach/
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY said:

DYKT you can add baking soda to the vinegar as well? Just be sure to use a big pot, vinegar + baking soda =a foamy mess.
    http://naturehacks.com/why-vinegar-and-baking-powder-and-hydrogen-peroxide-is-as-effective-as-bleach/

Chlorine bleach (sodium hypochlochloride) is no less "natural" than vinegar or hydrogen peroxide.
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani Posts: 7,790
    RKCNDY said:

Or you can be a good capitalist to help support fellow humankind and just buy new ones.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    RKCNDY said:

vinegar + baking soda = the volcano we all made in grade school

RKCNDY said:

Chlorine bleach (sodium hypochlochloride) is no less "natural" than vinegar or hydrogen peroxide.
    Some people (like me) have issues using bleach as the chlorine is very irritating to the respiratory system. It actually gives me migraines, so I have to use vinegar and baking soda.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    Oh hey were talking about vinegar!

I just bought some to clean the oven. It said to make a paste with the vinegar and baking soda? I never did a volcano. Am I gonna have a mess in my kitchen if i do this?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    No, it will fizz up, but you need larger quantities for it to be really messy. Sprinkle the baking soda in the oven, then slowly add vinegar, mix it up, add more vinegar if needed.

- Christopher McCandless
    edited May 2015
    RKCNDY said:

No, it will fizz up, but you need larger quantities for it to be really messy. Sprinkle the baking soda in the oven, then slowly add vinegar, mix it up, add more vinegar if needed.

I found the site I was looking at. The before and after pictures are what got me, plus it's cheaper than that easy off crap and it probably wont smell as bad as I seem to think that stuff smells.
    http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-clean-an-oven-cleaning-lessons-from-the-kitchn-201191
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    ldent42 said:

RKCNDY said:

I found the site I was looking at. The before and after pictures are what got me, plus it's cheaper than that easy off crap and it probably wont smell as bad as I seem to think that stuff smells.
    http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-clean-an-oven-cleaning-lessons-from-the-kitchn-201191
    I have done the baking soda paste before, it does work, probably need more elbow grease than anything! I ended up buying one of those steam cleaner thingies...super fast!

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY said:

ldent42 said:

RKCNDY said:

I have done the baking soda paste before, it does work, probably need more elbow grease than anything! I ended up buying one of those steam cleaner thingies...super fast!
    My head just went a full 90 degrees. I can use a steam cleaner? I've got one of them. I've got two of them. One older than me and I don't wanna touch it. The other is a $30 Bissell. I like this idea. Just stick it in there for a few minutes eh? I'ma try that, then do the paste after if necessary. I dont like this idea of climbing halfway into the stupid thing and scrubbing.
    ldent42 said:

RKCNDY said:

ldent42 said:

RKCNDY said:

My head just went a full 90 degrees. I can use a steam cleaner? I've got one of them. I've got two of them. One older than me and I don't wanna touch it. The other is a $30 Bissell. I like this idea. Just stick it in there for a few minutes eh? I'ma try that, then do the paste after if necessary. I dont like this idea of climbing halfway into the stupid thing d. and scrubbing.
    f
    Essentially this thing: http://mamatvshop.com/product.php?recordID=20

Not the kind for clothes...

- Christopher McCandless
  • Did you know that we jumped he shark in this thread already?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,101
    Yes.
    Did you know if you pour vinegar over open cuts that it hurts like a bastard?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    Yes!!

Did you know that Tom Brokaw did the first The More You Know PSA?