Give Way Promo CD

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I thought the band had it mixed and mastered professionally? It sounds different than the SB version floating around forever.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321

I thought the band had it mixed and mastered professionally? It sounds different than the SB version floating around forever.

Do you mean the SV(SpacedVest) series version? That one is actually an FM source, and obviously sounds inferior to the Give Way promo.

There is a flac rip from this pre-FM source, too (complete show): http://www.pjcollectors.com/detail.asp?id=1142
    this complete version above is the original source used for the Soundboard Remaster series by JWB (has been remastered, though)
    I didn't make a direct comparison between the Give Way promo cd and the pre-FM complete source, but they both sound excellent

• ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    Many of the Melbourne boots were sources from the pre-fm but I think the Give Way CD sounds superior to all of them. I always found that off as the band is the one who kiboshed the release but Best Buy must have gotten access to the soundboards for the show. How else would they have been able to release a better version.
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    Zod said:

Many of the Melbourne boots were sources from the pre-fm but I think the Give Way CD sounds superior to all of them. I always found that off as the band is the one who kiboshed the release but Best Buy must have gotten access to the soundboards for the show. How else would they have been able to release a better version.

I'd just wish all the 98 shows were available in such quality.. Ed's "growl" that year, and all the performances, were just.. neat. the shows were shorter, but is there a less than amazing 98 show? Screw the benny reissue and such, just liberate that whole tour!

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

Zod said:

I'd just wish all the 98 shows were available in such quality.. Ed's "growl" that year, and all the performances, were just.. neat. the shows were shorter, but is there a less than amazing 98 show? Screw the benny reissue and such, just liberate that whole tour!

I couldn't agree with you more. 98 was the best.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    it's funny that we consider 27 songs a "shorter show". LOL.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ZodZod Posts: 9,941

Zod said:

At least there's a few decent boots from the '98 tour. Melbourne, Seattle II, St. Louis (I think that's the one), Mansfield, lo2l, vault #3, .... I would definitely like more. I'd love to see Missoula '98 get a soundboard release. My first real PJ show (not counting lollapalooza). I have extremely fond memories of that show. The only circulating boot is pretty rough.

• darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    edited May 2015

Zod said:

Vegas '98 was kinda subpar. It was originally supposed to be at Sam Boyd Stadium, but they didn't sell enough tickets (kinda hard to believe now), so they moved it to the Thomas and Mack Center on the UNLV campus. Which was actually really fortunate, because it was one of those 115 degree days in mid-summer Las Vegas.

The show started really late for some reason. The crowd booed both Zeke and X. Pearl Jam's set was cut short because of the late start time.

All that being said, it was my first Pearl Jam show, so I had a fuckin' blast. I would love to hear a soundboard of it.
    Post edited by darthvedder on
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    The STL 98' one is pretty fantastic. And a hometown show for me might I add! 3rd row baby! Yeah!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Zod said:

Zod said:

I'd just wish all the 98 shows were available in such quality.. Ed's "growl" that year, and all the performances, were just.. neat. the shows were shorter, but is there a less than
    Zod said:

Zod said:

At least there's a few decent boots from the '98 tour. Melbourne, Seattle II, St. Louis (I think that's the one), Mansfield, lo2l, vault #3, .... I would definitely like more. I'd love to see Missoula '98 get a soundboard release. My first real PJ show (not counting lollapalooza). I have extremely fond memories of that show. The only circulating boot is pretty rough.

msg night two is fantastic too!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • monkeewrenchmonkeewrench Posts: 946

Pure illusion…
    photo IMG_6588_zps21458fe1.jpg

Sell this to me or I'm gonna buy that 98 poster!!! :-)
  • demetrios said:
    Don't have MP3. Hopefully this Flac download is cool. Files (521 MB total) Give Way (Promo) [FLAC] [1998].zip http://we.tl/5kNa4TZEi3
    Hey demetrios - Any possibility you can post that link again? Many thanks in advance if you are able to.
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,578
    It will be a Vault in the next 5-10 years.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    DS38683 said:
    demetrios said:
    Don't have MP3. Hopefully this Flac download is cool. Files (521 MB total) Give Way (Promo) [FLAC] [1998].zip http://we.tl/5kNa4TZEi3
    Hey demetrios - Any possibility you can post that link again? Many thanks in advance if you are able to.

Sure. PM sent.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Such a great show
  • demetrios said:
    DS38683 said:
    demetrios said:

Sure. PM sent.
    demetrios said:
    DS38683 said:
    demetrios said:

Sure. PM sent.

Hi,

Please would you mind posting that link again? That would be brilliant. Such a good show. Wish Nugs would release it as part of the Vault series.

fafane45 said:
    demetrios said:
    DS38683 said:
    demetrios said:

Sure. PM sent.
    demetrios said:
    DS38683 said:
    demetrios said:

Sure. PM sent.

Hi,

Please would you mind posting that link again? That would be brilliant. Such a good show. Wish Nugs would release it as part of the Vault series.

Sure. PM sent. :)
  • CooterCooter Posts: 153
    Bump...
  • lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    I love the “beds are burning” midnight oil tease right before the opening riff to “corduroy”! 
    Best moment of the whole performance imo
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Such a cool piece of PJ history.
  • dcp3y said:
    Nice stuff.  Shocked they haven't sold.
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    CSB - I worked briefly at Best Buy Headquarters circa 2015.  One day, I ran into the CEO in the parking garage.  He made it a point to be seen around campus, parked in the regular employee garage, and seemed like a pretty down to earth guy.  As we waited for the elevator I asked if he had any extra copies of the Pearl Jam Give Way CD stashed away somewhere.  Of course, he had no idea what the hell I was talking about, but I got a kick out of it. 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Bissy77Bissy77 Minnesota Posts: 445
    I have what I think is the Promo Poster for Give Way, I got it from a guy who said he got it at Best Buy at the time.  

MLPS: 6-30-98 ; East Troy: 10-8-00 ; St. Paul: 6-16-03 ; East Troy: 6-21-03 ; Camden: 7-5-03 ; Grand Rapids: 10-3-04 ; Thunder Bay: 9-9-05 ; East Rutherford: 6-1-06; East Rutherford: 6-3-06 ; St. Paul: 6-26-06 ; St. Paul: 6-27-06, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, EV MLPS 7-2-11, PJ20 Alpine Valley 9-3-11, PJ20 Alpine Valley 9-4-11; Wrigley 7-19-13, St Paul 10-19-14; Wrigley 8-22-16; Seattle 8-8-18, Seattle 8-10-18; EV NY 2-4-22
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378
    Bissy77 said:
    I have what I think is the Promo Poster for Give Way, I got it from a guy who said he got it at Best Buy at the time.  

Now that is awesome!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• demetrios said:
    DS38683 said:
    demetrios said:

Sure. PM sent.
    Could I please get a link also?
  • pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306

Acquired these two grails of mine many years ago around this time frame.  Got a nice bonus from work and someone was selling!  
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 2,976
    When Yield was released, somehow I obtained-- I can't remember if I won it or if I just asked for it and was given it-- a huge actual Yield sign with Pearl Jam stenciled onto it from Newbury Comics. It was larger than an actual road Yield sign (I think-- it was huge, but maybe my perspective on the size of the real signs is off because I'm never standing right underneath them), but it was made of the same kind of metal as the real thing. It hung on my bedroom door where I lived in Massachusetts for the next several years. I moved to California in 2003, and I think-- again, I'm not entirely sure about this-- I gave it to a good friend and fellow Ten Club member who still lives in Mass. because it was too big to take in my car and too cumbersome to ship. Does anyone else know of the existence of such an item? I will ask my friend about it the next time I talk to him and see if I can confirm my hazy memory. The parts I'm sure of: this thing existed and I owned it for a period of time.

Note: the friend in question and I actually met at a Newbury Comics listening party for Yield in January 1998. They gave away a copy of the album on vinyl for the answer to a trivia question, and he beat me to the punch. At that time, I didn't know many people who still had a turntable-- I did-- so I introduced myself to him and asked him if he'd take $20 for the record. He said "No way!" (No pun intended.) We got to talking and ended up becoming friends, and we're still good friends 25 years later despite the geographic distance. We've seen PJ together dozens of times. Later that evening, they gave away another record for a trivia answer, and I got that one, so it was a productive night all around. Having said all that, I don't think this was where I acquired the giant Yield sign.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • TKeTKe Posts: 24
    BF25394 said:
    When Yield was released, somehow I obtained-- I can't remember if I won it or if I just asked for it and was given it-- a huge actual Yield sign with Pearl Jam stenciled onto it from Newbury Comics. It was larger than an actual road Yield sign (I think-- it was huge, but maybe my perspective on the size of the real signs is off because I'm never standing right underneath them), but it was made of the same kind of metal as the real thing. 
    Does anyone else know of the existence of such an item? I will ask my friend about it the next time I talk to him and see if I can confirm my hazy memory. The parts I'm sure of: this thing existed and I owned it for a period of time.
    Like this one? A record store in my country has had this for sale for a couple of years now (they’re asking hundreds of dollars for it). Apparently found when clearing their old storage because they had a couple of old No Code promo posters too.

on2legs said:
    Bissy77 said:

Now that is awesome!

Hell yeah it is.