Will Work For Travelling Expense

Comments

• badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    edited April 2015

badbrains said:

Could you take kids to school in the morning and pick them up in the after noon ? 1 @ 2, 1 @ 4, and 1 @ 6pm. And bring them home for a week? What would that cost me?

What a fucken lazy dad.
    I do more than you by 4 am than you get done in 2 days!
    You're still a lazy ass dad. Don't be fooled. Man, I go to bed at 4am sucka. Now go save a kitty from a tree.
    Post edited by badbrains on
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    edited April 2015
    reconsidered ;)
    Post edited by hedonist on
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Heels yeah! Can't wait to meet you/ finally get this shit done!
    Holy shit. I didn't realize Scott had 3 kids. Busybusybusy boy.

Yes, I would do this because it's a great way to see the world. Some friends are travelling nurses, they made it work because the hospitals pay them a housing stipend plus more than a regular nurse. Of course they have a contract to only work for do long, but they can renew contracts.

Would I get a bit of a discount if I helped you on certain projects?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • RKCNDY said:

Holy shit. I didn't realize Scott had 3 kids. Busybusybusy boy.

Yes, I would do this because it's a great way to see the world. Some friends are travelling nurses, they made it work because the hospitals pay them a housing stipend plus more than a regular nurse. Of course they have a contract to only work for do long, but they can renew contracts.

Would I get a bit of a discount if I helped you on certain projects?

Lol sure! I plan on having a back up
    Find set up for the jnbetween. More than anything it would be an experiment designed to
    Meet new people, while seeing the world, as well as the rest of the U.S. So whatever I can do to helP YOU out in the end helps me out.
  • I just want to than everyone for this feedback. It is something I really am considering. So all ideas, and questions help.
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    I don't chase cats up trees. There are one of 2 things I do. 1) place a bowl oF food at the bottom of a tree. Or 2) get the deck gun, turn the pump up 4 about 120psi, and open up the nozzle in the precious kitties general direction. That seems to work the best.

Oddly enough, I've never seen a cat fall from a tree and land on its back. It's always lands on its feet.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,630
    I'd consider it.
    I just realized I got tagged at the start of this. Just slap me around now and then, I'll wake up, hahaha!

It's a cool idea, Whispering Hands. Due to a waning book business and being close to retiring we're actually scaling back or I'd try to find something for you. But do let us know if you get out this way- we can always put the word out.

I had a buddy back in around 1970 who suggested we do like the guys in an old TV show called Route 66 who traveled around and worked and got into mischief. We drove from CA to NY, got in a little mischief (nothing bad) and with about 40 bucks between us sat in the parking lot at JFK International and figured we could make it back to California on fumes. We did- barely. I'm sure your plans will be much more well thought out!

This also reminds me of a couple with two little kids that came in the store last week. They said they were quitting their jobs to travel around the country and home school the kids while they do it. Must be nice! They didn't look super wealthy- rather modest actually- but I'm guessing they have some income source.

I hope this works out for you, W.H. Sounds like quite the adventure!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    edited April 2015
    I hope so too Brian! Sorry for the tag, just was the first name that came to mind! Ha. But like I said before, it wouldn't even happen until after my Dad passed. So
    I have lots of time to plan..at least I pray I do..
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,630
    I'd consider it.

I hope so too Brian! Sorry for the tag, just was the first name that came to mind! Ha. But like I said before, it wouldn't even happen until after my Dad passed. So
    I have lots of time to plan..at least I pray I do..

That cool that you keep your Dad close and in mind. I get up to see mine whenever I can. He's 94 so every visit counts!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Hey WH,Instead of asking for people to put you to work,I would spin it around.Ask for sponsors for sections or portions of your trip.Make your journey route known in advance,plan a tour and post updates and pictures from the road on the site.Im sure we would all get a kick out of you and our fellow posters vamping up for some pics in cool locations.It would put faces(if they wanted) to the names.It would be cool to follow your adventure.Id get behind helping you out in some form.

It could be cool.Maybe do it during a PJ tour and piggy back into some shows.For those of us who are at the shows you could enjoy some food,drink or other with whoever decided to come on out.

Peeps could contribute 5,10,20 bucks whatever is affordable to on a certain stretch of your journey.you would be like an investigative reporter,pulling back the curtain (in a fun way)on our PJ 10c interweb friends.
    Think big!

• SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,418
    rr165892 said:

Hey WH,Instead of asking for people to put you to work,I would spin it around.Ask for sponsors for sections or portions of your trip.Make your journey route known in advance,plan a tour and post updates and pictures from the road on the site.Im sure we would all get a kick out of you and our fellow posters vamping up for some pics in cool locations.It would put faces(if they wanted) to the names.It would be cool to follow your adventure.Id get behind helping you out in some form.

It could be cool.Maybe do it during a PJ tour and piggy back into some shows.For those of us who are at the shows you could enjoy some food,drink or other with whoever decided to come on out.

Peeps could contribute 5,10,20 bucks whatever is affordable to on a certain stretch of your journey.you would be like an investigative reporter,pulling back the curtain (in a fun way)on our PJ 10c interweb friends.
    Think big!

So let me get this straight?

We are going to fund her travels across the US?
    We are all going to donate money, so she can enjoy a cross country vacation?

I preferred it, when she was working her way through her travels.

And just so everyone knows.
    I think this is the most ridiculous thread I have ever read.
    Hahahaha

Sorry.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    rr165892 said:

Think big!

See, now this I could do.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    I'd consider it.
    I believe she offered to work her way on this Speedy, and she was seeking thoughts about this if any one was game, I for one, like the creativity and am open to meeting her, she seems very nice.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,418

I believe she offered to work her way on this Speedy, and she was seeking thoughts about this if any one was game, I for one, like the creativity and am open to meeting her, she seems very nice.

Seems nice. Sure.

I still think the idea is absolutely ridiculous. Which I think was one of my options, in this poll she set up.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • rr165892 said:

Think big!

Definitely a consideration for sure!!
  • rr165892 said:

Think big!

So let me get this straight?

We are going to fund her travels across the US?
    We are all going to donate money, so she can enjoy a cross country vacation?

I preferred it, when she was working her way through her travels.

And just so everyone knows.
    I think this is the most ridiculous thread I have ever read.
    Hahahaha

Sorry.

I truly appreciate your honesty. Without it, it wouldn't work. ( though it may just not work at all anyhow).And yes I prefer to work for the money, as I feel weird someone 'funding' my trip. That just is odd to me. But I could see that being people's options too. ( I.E. I don't want to participate, but I'll pay you to go away..) lol anyhow. At least SPEEDY here is being out right honest. And the whole point of this poll was to see wether or not I could garner enough support to try to plan this out. So far it's not looking great, which I kind of expected.. As for 'covering' my adventures, I totally planned on that.. The reason I chose this forum, was because the 10c group seems to be full of a majority of decent and honest people. I know if I did the work, they'd hold up their end. That's not always true, but more do HERE than anywhere else on the planet. Thanks again for your honest answer SPEEDY. :-)
  • I believe she offered to work her way on this Speedy, and she was seeking thoughts about this if any one was game, I for one, like the creativity and am open to meeting her, she seems very nice.

Seems nice. Sure.

I still think the idea is absolutely ridiculous. Which I think was one of my options, in this poll she set up.

Yes. Understandably so. Hence the option listed. ;-)
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    Nothing wrong with working for money. I do it almost everyday. Wondering how you would uphold your other financial commitments? Would you sell your home....and other obvious belongings? Haha Uncle Sam comes to mind - sorry - would you be considered self-employed? Could you afford health insurance, maintenance on the RV, RV insurance, where would you wash your clothes, would you be reduced to just bread and water??? Lol just thinking here...

I love the RV idea. Bringing your companion is even better.

I'm not sure I'd participate. My first reaction was sure why the hell not? But I tend to lean towards I'd rather meet up and hang out.

People are weird about money. Don't mess with their family or their money.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • FoxyRedLa said:

Nothing wrong with working for money. I do it almost everyday. Wondering how you would uphold your other financial commitments? Would you sell your home....and other obvious belongings? Haha Uncle Sam comes to mind - sorry - would you be considered self-employed? Could you afford health insurance, maintenance on the RV, RV insurance, where would you wash your clothes, would you be reduced to just bread and water??? Lol just thinking here...

I love the RV idea. Bringing your companion is even better.

I'm not sure I'd participate. My first reaction was sure why the hell not? But I tend to lean towards I'd rather meet up and hang out.

People are weird about money. Don't mess with their family or their money.

Again the reason for the option to
    Opt out. As for the RV and maintenance and insurance on it etc. I plan on having a back
    Up fund for that. I would accept PayPal, as an option just so no actual money has to change hands,etcetera. And it may just end up
    That I go do this off Day Labor sortof things. Who knows.? Thanks for your opinion.o appreciate it.
  • Oh and as for possessions. I have none. Being an alcoholic, I
    Lost everything before I got sober. Nothing to tie me down. I will never own another house again. Total racket, too much stress, and I get bored in one place too easily. Range runner in me, I guess. So that part is taken care of already.
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    Appears I may have pushed a button. My apologies. I will go vote. No intention to deflate any excitement.

Pay pal is an excellent set up.

I don't know what off day labor means..?

Best of luck to you and hope nothing up happy and safe fun travels for you!

Make sure you have some PJ love on the outside of the RV.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • FoxyRedLa said:

Appears I may have pushed a button. My apologies. I will go vote. No intention to deflate any excitement.

Pay pal is an excellent set up.

I don't know what off day labor means..?

Best of luck to you and hope nothing up happy and safe fun travels for you!

Make sure you have some PJ love on the outside of the RV.

No offense taken. I just literally have my cat and some clothes. Two
    Pieces of furniture from my grandparents, and some PJ stuff, and one record player. I don't even own the bed I sleep in. I was just answering your question about possessions. Sorry if that came out wrong. It has been a relief not having to worry about mortgages etc.
    and Day Labor is a company in the US that hired by the job, their motto is work
    Today get paid today. Just another possibility.
  • Oh yeah, and my mother's ashes. I have her too. I guess she'd have to go too? Is it wrong to store that sorta thing? ( legitimate question)
    Totally just thought of Joe Dirt.. Where he has the dog's ashes hanging from the RVM!! Lmao!!
    I'm sure almost all of us are good people. Would you not be afraid of the occasional weirdo? How would you protect yourself?
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

Oh yeah, and my mother's ashes. I have her too. I guess she'd have to go too? Is it wrong to store that sorta thing? ( legitimate question)
    Totally just thought of Joe Dirt.. Where he has the dog's ashes hanging from the RVM!! Lmao!!

I just thought of that last scene from the Jerk - but insert urn and cat =)

• I'm sure almost all of us are good people. Would you not be afraid of the occasional weirdo? How would you protect yourself?

I've thought a lot about that Last12. ( May I call you Scott?) and I know that I don't want to go through the rigaramol of applying for an international carry permit. So the pistol will stay here. I used go be very efficient in Tae Kwon Do, ( made it to level 2 brown belt), but that was as a teenager, and my Dad's requirement, aside from completing schoolwork, when I got offered a job riding horses for show, by one of the parishioners of the church my Dad pastored for), however I haven't done anything along those lines since then. I also have go figure in the damage done by the nueropathy. But I could easily give a great dog somewhere a kick ass mobile home in exchange for it's loyalty and love; which is equal to
    Protection in a dog's world. Again, something else to continue investigating..
    hedonist said:

Oh yeah, and my mother's ashes. I have her too. I guess she'd have to go too? Is it wrong to store that sorta thing? ( legitimate question)

I just thought of that last scene from the Jerk - but insert urn and cat =)

OMG H2TM's and my long lost son!!! Where EVER did you find HIM???
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    I seem to recall another fan trying this around the time Into the Wild came out. I think he was from Florida and his username was something with "boy". Never really heard how it worked out.
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    I really don't see anything ridiculous about this thread. I think protecting yourself would be as simple as making sure you have a fully charged phone with a signal on you at all times. You definitely don't need a gun. Maybe a can of pepper spray or a brass knuckles if you feel some sort of weapon is necessary. Personally I thought you were looking at a change in lifestyle, not a "vacation". There's nothing wrong with either way though. FoxyRed may have had a point about the State Taxes though. Might get a bit complicated.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435

I'm sure almost all of us are good people. Would you not be afraid of the occasional weirdo? How would you protect yourself?

I've thought a lot about that Last12. ( May I call you Scott?)
    Yea, I've been called much worse!
  • I'd want to let others go first and go from there..
    ldent42 said:

I really don't see anything ridiculous about this thread. I think protecting yourself would be as simple as making sure you have a fully charged phone with a signal on you at all times. You definitely don't need a gun. Maybe a can of pepper spray or a brass knuckles if you feel some sort of weapon is necessary. Personally I thought you were looking at a change in lifestyle, not a "vacation". There's nothing wrong with either way though. FoxyRed may have had a point about the State Taxes though. Might get a bit complicated.

If you make it to Phoenix I can easily hook you up with the pepper spray and an overly strong (and thus illegal) taser. My brother sells that stuff all over the west coast and is always handing me things/samples. My eldest daughter has a bottle of pepper spray in her backpack as well as my wife carries one in her purse. I have a taser in my car that also is a flashlight in my car just in case. You never know when you will encounter a nut job.

Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle