Options

The plague of neighborhood solicitors and other neighborhood observations.

Comments

• Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    It's sounding like the VIP tent is being replaced by a turtle revivalist tent. :confounded:
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527

cdysinge said:

Because we don't need a degenerate MLK and I fear that is what you would become. Degenerates make the beat to their own drum. If you took power we might all end up doing something very bad. Degenerates should not be rallied for something other than druken orgy fun. At first it would be all fun and games but over time you would become power hungry. Absolute power corrupts.

Aside from me not knowing what MLK is
    You are correct.
    Think that one out.. Derive the conclusion from the afore stated context of the post in it's whole..
  • Options
    Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    I have come up with a sayings that I use for both door to door salesman and phone calls. I do not do business at my house that I do not request and I do not do business over the phone. Thank you please do not call me again. I still get the calls but not as much anymore. The only ones I do accept at the door are the fire fighters. I wonder how lucrative the business is. How many people fall into their trap.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790

I have come up with a sayings that I use for both door to door salesman and phone calls. I do not do business at my house that I do not request and I do not do business over the phone. Thank you please do not call me again. I still get the calls but not as much anymore. The only ones I do accept at the door are the fire fighters. I wonder how lucrative the business is. How many people fall into their trap.

I have never had Fire Fighters come to my door. I didn't know they did that. Can you imagine Scott showing up at random houses? It would not be good.

Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790

cdysinge said:

Because we don't need a degenerate MLK and I fear that is what you would become. Degenerates make the beat to their own drum. If you took power we might all end up doing something very bad. Degenerates should not be rallied for something other than druken orgy fun. At first it would be all fun and games but over time you would become power hungry. Absolute power corrupts.

Aside from me not knowing what MLK is
    You are correct.
    Think that one out.. Derive the conclusion from the afore stated context of the post in it's whole..
    I didn't even put two and two together. This is the exact reason we don't need a degenerate leader. They would be assassinated quickly by the CIA, FBI, or some other group. Like I said, drunken orgy fun only.

Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    The exchanges between Halifax and cdysinge are freaking hilarious, thanks for the laughs peeps! :rofl:
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Right?? I say we just do our own degenerate thing!! Lol

I am lost, I'm no guide.. But I'm by your side.. I am right by your side.. Yeah..
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,491

Be gone Apostate!!!!!!

good mormon word, there.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited April 2015
    cdysinge said:

I have never had Fire Fighters come to my door. I didn't know they did that. Can you imagine Scott showing up at random houses? It would not be good.

Maybe it's because I live in the city and we pass (or try to pass) emergency services levies for such things. I would kind of wonder if a city service person showed up at my door requesting money. In fact, I kind of question whenever anyone comes to our door requesting money. You just never know anymore. (And no, it has nothing to do with the visual of Scott knocking on doors.)

We have people standing at the expressway ramps. They are holding up signs. They want money or food or a job. If you offer anything other than money, they decline. My husband once watched the "staff change" at the bottom of the ramp about a mile from my house. (So this does qualify as neighborhood observations!) Dude #1 was sitting in a wheelchair with a sign. Dude #2 comes up, dude #1 takes the sign he was holding, his chair and his earnings and hops into the waiting vehicle. It's a well known panhandling ring and they couldn't bust it, so now they require them to have panhandling licenses. :angry:

We donate monthly to the local homeless shelter. We know how the money is handled. We know how the place is run. We've volunteered there. Hungry? Homeless? Need a job? Go to the homeless shelter. They'll set you up. That's where we give our donations for you.
    Post edited by deadendp on
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    in the name of thread integrity....

years ago, I rented a house with two other guys and a girl....it was degenerate-palooza most of the time, but that's not the point....the point is, we had one roommate we nicknamed "slug", because he was one....never had any money, always mooching beer, food, weed, etc.

one day when only slug was at home, a girl came to the door selling magazines. slug, of course, didn't have any money for magazines but he did make a deposit....if you catch my drift.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    imalive said:

years ago, I rented a house with two other guys and a girl....it was degenerate-palooza most of the time, but that's not the point....the point is, we had one roommate we nicknamed "slug", because he was one....never had any money, always mooching beer, food, weed, etc.

one day when only slug was at home, a girl came to the door selling magazines. slug, of course, didn't have any money for magazines but he did make a deposit....if you catch my drift.

so he left a slug trail...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    RKCNDY said:

imalive said:

Funny and gross.
  • Options

RKCNDY said:

imalive said:

Funny and gross.
    need something as gross? when slug moved out, we found boogers all over the wall next to his mattress :tired_face:

Back to neighbor solicitors!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    I for one can't and don't tolerate people knocking on my door to sell me their religion - the price is outrageous.

I do though remember my parents making me go door to door selling chocolate santas, almonds, bars etc to raise money for my upcoming field trips in school.

Most of my elementary and high school trips were free for me (parents did not pay)
    It was hard work getting doors slammed in my face but the next door alleviated my frustration on those winter nights after being out for 4 hours or more hoping someone would buy that last box of almonds then I would be able to go on that field trip like everyone else.

It taught me the value of a dollar and that it does not grow on trees. Many, many hours were spent canvassing neighbourhoods peddling my wares in the name of honest work.

Fast forward 20yrs later I make my own fundraise door to door and watching them do it as I follow behind them makes me smile on the inside. All I say is "if you want to go on that trip all you have to do is sell x amount of chocolates" If they come up short a few bucks of course I give it them but the life skills learned are unfathomable - counting change, personal interaction, rejection, kindness, math, inventory tracking, processing orders, patience, cold, hot and the list goes on. I have been told that I repeat my self too often sometimes, maybe that comes from having to say "Hello my name is ------- would you like to purchase a box of chocolate almonds to support me in my goal to attend a field trip to -------", over a thousand times yearly for 9 yrs.

So it pisses me off when I see parents have their kids stand outside of stores asking for change to fundraise - get your kids out and work for it.

I always purchase from "kids" who show up peddling chocolates, cookie dough etc. It takes balls for a person that age to knock on a strangers door and initiate a conversation.

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    imalive said:

RKCNDY said:

imalive said:

Funny and gross.
    need something as gross? when slug moved out, we found boogers all over the wall next to his mattress :tired_face:

Ok sorry. Last off topic post. Too good not to share.
    When I was a teenager we let this quiet kid named C.J. stay in our flop house. He slept on a futon in a spare room. When he moved out there was a hole in the futon. My roommate for some reason stuck his finger in the hole to find a nice mixture of lotion and old "slug juice". After that, C.J. became known as Couch Jammer. Sometimes I wonder if he's still out there, forcing himself on unsuspecting furniture.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    ^^^^^^^^ thank you! edit: thank you for post ABOVE THAT! :lol:

My kids always ask me to take their fundraisers to work. I tell them every time no. They say, "but dad if I sell the most..." My reply is, I'll get you a bike. But the real reason is if I don't pawn my shit on the people I work with, then I don't have to buy what their kids are selling when they come in selling 5 gallon buckets of cookie dough.

thank you too, Scott.....even if you are an _______ most of the time.
    Post edited by Wobbie on

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options

I for one can't and don't tolerate people knocking on my door to sell me their religion - the price is outrageous.

I do though remember my parents making me go door to door selling chocolate santas, almonds, bars etc to raise money for my upcoming field trips in school.

Most of my elementary and high school trips were free for me (parents did not pay)
    It was hard work getting doors slammed in my face but the next door alleviated my frustration on those winter nights after being out for 4 hours or more hoping someone would buy that last box of almonds then I would be able to go on that field trip like everyone else.

It taught me the value of a dollar and that it does not grow on trees. Many, many hours were spent canvassing neighbourhoods peddling my wares in the name of honest work.

Fast forward 20yrs later I make my own fundraise door to door and watching them do it as I follow behind them makes me smile on the inside. All I say is "if you want to go on that trip all you have to do is sell x amount of chocolates" If they come up short a few bucks of course I give it them but the life skills learned are unfathomable - counting change, personal interaction, rejection, kindness, math, inventory tracking, processing orders, patience, cold, hot and the list goes on. I have been told that I repeat my self too often sometimes, maybe that comes from having to say "Hello my name is ------- would you like to purchase a box of chocolate almonds to support me in my goal to attend a field trip to -------", over a thousand times yearly for 9 yrs.

So it pisses me off when I see parents have their kids stand outside of stores asking for change to fundraise - get your kids out and work for it.

I always purchase from "kids" who show up peddling chocolates, cookie dough etc. It takes balls for a person that age to knock on a strangers door and initiate a conversation.

Girl scouts are no longer allowed to go door to door due to safety concerns-at least in my area. So they are now parked out at the grocery and hardware stores. I always buy the cookies because I used to be a GS going door to door and getting told 'no' because my neighborhood was saturated with Girl Scouts.

Had to sell those damned magazines and tapes door to door to for school. Fuck I hated that!

Oh...is it ironic that the letter the JW sent was under the name 'K Gibler' and all I could think of was 'Kimmie Giblets? Like from that Bob saget sitcom?'
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

Girl scouts are no longer allowed to go door to door due to safety concerns-at least in my area. So they are now parked out at the grocery and hardware stores. I always buy the cookies because I used to be a GS going door to door and getting told 'no' because my neighborhood was saturated with Girl Scouts.

That is why I follow mine door to door. I stay back just enough to make them feel I am not watching but they know I am there.

It was comforting for me to know that my parents were in a warm car down the block a few houses waiting/watching as I did my thing.

• Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    RKCNDY said:

Had to sell those damned magazines and tapes door to door to for school. Fuck I hated that!

Oh...is it ironic that the letter the JW sent was under the name 'K Gibler' and all I could think of was 'Kimmie Giblets? Like from that Bob saget sitcom?'
    I think it's the same everywhere for GS, they sit at the grocery store here too, them and Boy scouts with their popcorn...I like to buy that stuff because I was a girl scout too...

My daughter has always been told no about fundraisers because she is the laziest kid and she won't get it done, but this one was for Choir...and she swore up and down she would do it...no she ate all the chocolate bars herself so we ended up having to pay for them...and she owes us extra chores for them....
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited April 2015
    RKCNDY said:

There are particular neighbors who have told my daughter that when she is fundraising for school to PLEASE stop by their house. In my neighborhood and those around me, there is such a large concentration of children vs. the number of houses available, so I don't want K- to be that repeat of a repeat of a repeat kid. I understand that it teaches her the value of rejection, but I also don't want the neighbors to dread her visiting their doorstep.
    Post edited by deadendp on
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    deadendp said:

RKCNDY said:

I understand that it teaches her the value of rejection, but I also don't want the neighbors to dread her visiting their doorstep.
    Venture out to other neighbourhoods to avoid situations that make you feel that way. Kids don't have adult feelings and will appreciate discovering more than a square block radius growing up.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

imalive said:

RKCNDY said:

imalive said:

Funny and gross.

Ok sorry. Last off topic post. Too good not to share.
    When I was a teenager we let this quiet kid named C.J. stay in our flop house. He slept on a futon in a spare room. When he moved out there was a hole in the futon. My roommate for some reason stuck his finger in the hole to find a nice mixture of lotion and old "slug juice". After that, C.J. became known as Couch Jammer. Sometimes I wonder if he's still out there, forcing himself on unsuspecting furniture.
    Talk about funny and gross.

If we're talking solicitors, I'd ask that those who approach me in front of the local supermarkets realize that most of us who are there during the lunch hour...are on our lunch hour. Give me literature I can peruse later, but don't cuss me out because I'm not sure your D.A.R.E. campaign is actually legit.

Or that I don't want to blindly sign a petition while being rushed through the details of it.

(that felt good :relieved:)
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    RKCNDY said:

Not being allowed to go door to door because of "safety concerns" is completely ridiculous (I'm not calling you ridiculous RKCNDY, just this policy), especially when those kids would have a parent, older sibling or friend with them. Just part of the relentless drive to convince us that kids are always in danger and need to be constantly monitored and restricted.

My daughter was in Girl Guides from age 5 (Sparks) through age 13 (Pathfinders). She got a lot of value from the program and one of the things that guiding requires the girls to do is sell 2 cases of cookies twice a year (spring and fall). They are encouraged to go door to door in an appropriate fashion (with a parent, or for the older ones in a group). We ranged over a wide area in the years she sold cookies and she learned a lot about talking to strangers, presenting information clearly, dealing with money, and following through on a job, just like PJFan said. Even when she was 5 she had to do the talking and I stayed back. Sure, lots of people didn't buy, but we never encountered a single rude person. We also always respected the "no soliciting" signs. Kids and cookies are a great combination, though I agree that adults pushing religion are a different kettle of fish.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    On topic. I don't trust anyone who knocks on my door selling wares or ideas. When I was young there was more than one of my fellow little leaguers who made fake raffle tickets and threw on their two year old uniforms to peddle them. Little hustlers. That's all I can ever think of when I see door to door people.

Anybody who lives outside of town ever have a "meat guy" show up with a freezer on the back of a pickup truck? If you buy all the steak, you get the freezer free!
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,643

On topic. I don't trust anyone who knocks on my door selling wares or ideas. When I was young there was more than one of my fellow little leaguers who made fake raffle tickets and threw on their two year old uniforms to peddle them. Little hustlers. That's all I can ever think of when I see door to door people.

Anybody who lives outside of town ever have a "meat guy" show up with a freezer on the back of a pickup truck? If you buy all the steak, you get the freezer free!

That sounds like a degenerate-a-palooza tailgate to me.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

You're late to the party on "meat guy"....I already brought him up.....always has some phony reason why he has his extra steaks.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Well I can cross this door to door campaign off the list yobraisevtravel
    Monies!! Damn! ( totally kidding!)

I so remember having to go door to door selling weird crap for school. I am a terrible salesperson. Probably even more so than now, I was terrified of people I didn't know.. And they'd slam the door in my face, I'd cry. Get over it, go to the next house, cry.., and so on.. It took me forever to sell ONE thing!! Although one year we were selling these cool ceramic bells. They were Christmas Ornaments. And I of course couldn't find a sales buddy, so
    I ended up alone. I was also the ONLY kid that year to seek all 50 of my boxes!! All because i
    Made it into this hermit lady's yard to knock on her door, while her two 'vicious' Rotties licked my face! She answered the door frantic.. Saw the dogs, and her face turned to shock!! Then one of my fellow students opened the gate, and I saw why. Those dogs went from adorable pets to demonic forces!! The kid at the gate, ( Jimmy Swane) turned white as this screen!! And shut that gate really quickly!! Like REALLY quickly. That lady bought all 50 boxes of Ornaments !!! I sat and talked to her and played with her dogs for hours Til the other kids were ready and the parent chaperone picked us up. Only time I ever sold a thing going door to door as a kid.
    Post edited by whispering hands on
  • Options
    imalive said:

You're late to the party on "meat guy"....I already brought him up.....always has some phony reason why he has his extra steaks.
    Ahh yes. Didn't read the whole thread before posting. My bad. Didn't Ray Romano make a movie about being a meat guy?
  • Options
    A Day late, and a Chuck short hahahaha!!!
    Sorry, yeah.. I
    Did that...
    :giggle:
  • Options

Not being allowed to go door to door because of "safety concerns" is completely ridiculous (I'm not calling you ridiculous RKCNDY, just this policy), especially when those kids would have a parent, older sibling or friend with them. Just part of the relentless drive to convince us that kids are always in danger and need to be constantly monitored and restricted.

My daughter was in Girl Guides from age 5 (Sparks) through age 13 (Pathfinders). She got a lot of value from the program and one of the things that guiding requires the girls to do is sell 2 cases of cookies twice a year (spring and fall). They are encouraged to go door to door in an appropriate fashion (with a parent, or for the older ones in a group). We ranged over a wide area in the years she sold cookies and she learned a lot about talking to strangers, presenting information clearly, dealing with money, and following through on a job, just like PJFan said. Even when she was 5 she had to do the talking and I stayed back. Sure, lots of people didn't buy, but we never encountered a single rude person. We also always respected the "no soliciting" signs. Kids and cookies are a great combination, though I agree that adults pushing religion are a different kettle of fish.

I get it, it was hard going door to door. My parent would buy cookies from people at work then refuse to ask people to buy cookies for me at work, so I had to try harder.

The 'safety' thing applies to all door to door sales, the city wants you to have a permit. Not exactly sure what that is supposed to accomplish, maybe if you don't show a permit, people can call the cops about a 'suspicious person'...

- Christopher McCandless