Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,478
    4 games in my hometown on thursday. I want to go, altho I see no upsets in the making.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Wobbie said:

4 games in my hometown on thursday. I want to go, altho I see no upsets in the making.

wish they were playing some games out here.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    The two schools I pull for, South Carolina and Winthrop, are both in the tournament.

I like South Carolina's 7-10 match up with Marquette. If we win, don't like the potential game with Duke.

Really don't like Winthrop's 4-13 match up with Butler. I will say that if he goes beast mode, Keon Johnson can will Winthrop to a win.

Overall, I am leaning towards picking Kansas in my bracket. Going to have to look at the match ups more closely, but that was my first impression.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Wisconsin really got fucked over by the committee. They finished 2nd in the big ten for the regular season and lose in the championship game of the conference tournament and get an 8 seed? And they made Minnesota a 5 seed?? Brutal.
  • Options

Wisconsin really got fucked over by the committee. They finished 2nd in the big ten for the regular season and lose in the championship game of the conference tournament and get an 8 seed? And they made Minnesota a 5 seed?? Brutal.

your one big white guy would have a hard time hitting water if he fell out of a boat.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891
    It's the most wonderful time of the year.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    watching CLE-HOU....damn, tnese pros can shoot 1000x better than the college kids.

of the 1000(?) kids in the tourney, how many have an impact at "the next level"?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    probably aren't too many Wisconsin fans here but I threw together a quick hype video for the tournament for us using "Why Go" if anyone wants to check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFLyrCyb964&t=5s
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985

They really undervalued the B1G, as a whole, this year. At the start of the year, they couldn't wait to call Indiana a #1 team after beating Kansas. As soon as IU lost to Fort Wayne, the story was "oh, the B1G is weak this year." The way I looked at it was, I didn't think IU was the best team in the B1G before beating KU, after beating UNC, and before losing Anunoby. So, a bottom-third team beat both KU and UNC - but the B1G is "down."

Wisconsin looked like it hit a wall at the end of league play, but an 8 seed?!! If I'm Nova, I'm pissed right now. That's an extremely tough possible second round draw. They essentially treated a Minn team like it was in the driver seat the entire year. They over-seeded Michigan St - as they should have been a 10-12 seed (lost to Arizona, smoked by UK, smoked by Baylor, lost to Dook, and lost to Northeastern for crying out loud.) Only good non-con win was Wichita St.

I like a minimum of 3 B1G teams in the sweet 16. Maybe as many as 5 or 6.
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • Options

It's the most wonderful time of the year.

And the least productive week of the year. At least for me.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options

The two schools I pull for, South Carolina and Winthrop, are both in the tournament.

I like South Carolina's 7-10 match up with Marquette. If we win, don't like the potential game with Duke.

Really don't like Winthrop's 4-13 match up with Butler. I will say that if he goes beast mode, Keon Johnson can will Winthrop to a win.

Overall, I am leaning towards picking Kansas in my bracket. Going to have to look at the match ups more closely, but that was my first impression.

I'm happy with our 7 seed in Greenville. Could've been much worse. And a possible 2nd round match up between my two favorite teams. I'm at the least going to the Sunday games. I wish the Friday games were earlier. On the fence about those.
  • Options
    I'll probably go for Villanova to repeat. Kansas always screws my brackets up.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Wobbie said:

your one big white guy would have a hard time hitting water if he fell out of a boat.
    I'm not even a Wisconsin fan. Just can't believe they got an 8 seed. And like stated above, that is a brutal possible 2nd round matchup for Villanova.
  • Options
    How can Calipari complain about his team being the most inexperienced team in the tourney when he actively recruits one and dones? I feel like he's already making excuses for why they'll lose.
  • Options

How can Calipari complain about his team being the most inexperienced team in the tourney when he actively recruits one and dones? I feel like he's already making excuses for why they'll lose.

Coach Cal is an excuse machine. Can't stand the guy. On ESPN last night crying about seeding and conference tournaments. Dude gets the cream of the crop every year talent-wise - and can't ever stop complaining.
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    Every March we're treated to Calipari bitching and moaning about something. Never fails. Unless he has a good idea to improve the game, he just needs to shut the f*** up and coach his team.
  • Options
    vitodacatvitodacat Posts: 466
    I happen to know the head coach of Kent State, who is playing UCLA in 1st round this year. He happens to be a HUGE Pearl Jam fan. I've been to a bunch of shows with him. He writes "Present Tense" on the board before their games.

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203

I actually really like Winthrop over Butler. I think Butler is highly overrated. they are 4 seed only because they beat Nova twice.

I think this is going to be a wild tournament. There are a lot of good low major teams that won their conference tournaments. A lot of the low majors the best teams in those leagues won their tournament. Teams like Bucknell, Fla Gulf Coast, Mid Tn (although then pundits love this team so I will back off from them) East Tennessee State and Nevada can definitely pull off upsets. I think at least 2 of those win their opening games.

I thought Louisville was a little over seeded. they got a 2 same as Duke.

UNC, Kentucky and UCLA in one regional is insane. those are 3 of top 7 teams in the country.

Still not sure who I am picking to win it. I loved Oregon before they lost Boucher.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

I actually really like Winthrop over Butler. I think Butler is highly overrated. they are 4 seed only because they beat Nova twice.

I think this is going to be a wild tournament. There are a lot of good low major teams that won their conference tournaments. A lot of the low majors the best teams in those leagues won their tournament. Teams like Bucknell, Fla Gulf Coast, Mid Tn (although then pundits love this team so I will back off from them) East Tennessee State and Nevada can definitely pull off upsets. I think at least 2 of those win their opening games.

I thought Louisville was a little over seeded. they got a 2 same as Duke.

UNC, Kentucky and UCLA in one regional is insane. those are 3 of top 7 teams in the country.

Still not sure who I am picking to win it. I loved Oregon before they lost Boucher.
    I'm with you on the Oregon pick (prior to losing Boucher). Especially to the Final Four in this regional. As far as I'm concerned, the Midwest bracket is a complete crap shoot. I could see any one of 7 teams come out of it.
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    pjhawks said:

Butler may be overrated, but it's a style of play problem for Winthrop. Butler is a solid defensive team and very efficient on offense. Winthrop has typically struggled with those types of teams the last couple of years. I haven't seen much of Butler this year, but it looks like they're adaptable to try and force their opponent to play against their strength. Winthrop will live and die by the 3 though, so if they're falling it could be a fun game. Of course, I'll pick Winthrop in my bracket because heart over mind...
  • Options
    Got our tickets for the Friday night session in Greenville. So excited! Really hope the Gamecocks show up. Zion Williamson is supposedly going to be there.
  • Options

pjhawks said:

Butler may be overrated, but it's a style of play problem for Winthrop. Butler is a solid defensive team and very efficient on offense. Winthrop has typically struggled with those types of teams the last couple of years. I haven't seen much of Butler this year, but it looks like they're adaptable to try and force their opponent to play against their strength. Winthrop will live and die by the 3 though, so if they're falling it could be a fun game. Of course, I'll pick Winthrop in my bracket because heart over mind...
    I love Winthrop! (i'm actually from RH) don't know that I'll pick them, though.
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Any suggestions for good places to watch the tourney in NYC? I'll be there Thursday through Tuesday. My Razorbacks play Seton Hall on Friday.
  • Options
    vitodacat said:

I happen to know the head coach of Kent State, who is playing UCLA in 1st round this year. He happens to be a HUGE Pearl Jam fan. I've been to a bunch of shows with him. He writes "Present Tense" on the board before their games.

not that I needed another reason to root against UCLA, but that's cool to know.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options

pjhawks said:

That's why I'm a Winthrop fan too. Growing up, my family was big into WU athletics. I basically learned basketball by going to all the home games.
  • Options

pjhawks said:

That's why I'm a Winthrop fan too. Growing up, my family was big into WU athletics. I basically learned basketball by going to all the home games.
    Love seeing the mid-majors do well. I usually root for Butler for that reason, and the fact that they play in Hinkle Field House - which is one of the coolest venues to see a game (and it's the setting for Hoosiers, which is cool). Butler is passed the cinderella status now, though, so I can throw a rooting interest towards Winthrop this weekend. Good luck.
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

• Options

pjhawks said:

Very cool. I went to a few basketball games after they built the new (at the time) coliseum but that's about it. I have a lot of friends who went to school there but I wanted to spread my wings so I never even applied.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891

good choice :wink::smiley:

Anyone doing a pool just for fun?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

good choice :wink::smiley:

Anyone doing a pool just for fun?
    They better not screw me over!! :lol: