Options

Pearl Jam 2016 Rock Hall Of Fame

joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,210
edited February 2015 in The Porch
Just wanted to hear some thoughts on who you think will induct Pearl Jam into the Rock Hall Of Fame in 2016. I have my money on Neil Young inducting them.
Post edited by joseph33 on

Comments

• Options
    Neil Young is a good choice, but my money is on Chris Cornell. I would actually be a little surprised if it wasn't Cornell. Plus, with that comes a complimentary TOTD performance!
  • Options
    I'm going with Julian from the strokes or one of the guys of KOL
    its usually someone who was inspired by..
    FUCK! if you only hear what you wanna hear...
    http://www.myspace.com/mrmojorisinca
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    Cameron Crowe will probably insist that he induct "us".
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I vote Dave A, Jack, Matt Chamberlain and Dave K do it.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,626
    We need to keep up to date on ticket info!
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,110
    You could have Pete Townsend, Neil Young, Chris Cornell, and probably a number of people do it.

I think it would be cool if Neil Young did it, after all they did record an album with him, and he seems to have been hugely influential.

Actually... aren't you supposed to be inducted by someone who you have influenced? Maybe Chris would be an ok choice on those merits. The last thing we need is a lead singer from one of the PJ clones to induct. Scott Stapp!
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Adam Moveslikejagger

jk!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I have some delicious Pear Jam in my refrigerator. Some nice Amish folks made it.

OP, you might want to add an "L" to that post title. :)
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,738
    I believe Chris Cornell should induct Pearl Jam into the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame.
  • Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636

Kanye

He might could be afraid - Ed would kick him out... :wink:
  • Options

Kanye

he'd say that beyonce deserved it.

seriously, what is his hard on for beyonce??

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Billy Corgan. Without doubt.
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Is Chris Cornell really of the "historic stature" that most inductors usually are? As famous as Cornell and Soundgarden are, they are like peers of PJ at the time they were huge, and frankly PJ was bigger. It's not a contest, I'm not saying one is better than the other, but when you look at who inducts, it's either bands really popular now who were inspired by the inductee, or historic figures that everyone knows their place in history, they induct.

So for PJ it seems to me it would either be some hot current band that is inspired by them (the way Ed inducted the Ramones and Green Day played the songs), or it's a Neil Young or Pete Townsend who are legends already inducting them.

Who was the last band inducted that still records and tours and never took a major break? U2? Elvis Costello?
  • Options
    Jim James
    Caleb Followill
    Julian Casablancas
    Josh Homme
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Bruce Springsteen
  • Options
    scott stapp.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,585
    Bruce would be cool.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    PJ will be the first major band inducted that is still touring, rocking, together and ... relevant.

U2 was already putting out crap albums and had become a show. No one else even comes close.

HoF is a silly thing in itself and technically means little for PJ. But in some ways, it's a huge deal. They're gonna be the only relevant band that's been inducted and they're gonna tear up the stage when they play.
  • Options
    Three-song set: Evolution, Rearview, Alive. :)
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412

PJ will be the first major band inducted that is still touring, rocking, together and ... relevant.

U2 was already putting out crap albums and had become a show. No one else even comes close.

GreenDay and RHCP are both recent inductees that I would say are easily as relevant as PJ. Chili Peppers have had some lineup changes, but never really missed a beat as far as popularity and pull as a live act. Rush can still bring it, though I think they're a bit of a heritage act at this point. Metallica is one of the biggest bands ever and easily out-clouts PJ in about every sense.

For awhile I wasn't sure PJ would get inducted first go 'round, but i think they're a pretty safe bet at this point. Though, there are still a few acts as deserving, if not more so, that haven't gotten the nod.
  • Options
    Green Day are fake punk.
    Chili Peppers ... yes but they don't "rock" and aren't any good live.
    Rush? Seriously? They were easily a nostalgia band by then and long have been.
    Metallica rocks but they also have sucked for years. Last good LP was in '89. At least U2 put out Achtung in '91.

Even questioning if PJ will be inducted in the first year is beyond silly. They're a no-brainer shoo-in. No wonder you mentioned Rush and Metallica. Ha ha. :)
  • Options

Green Day are fake punk.
    Metallica rocks but they also have sucked for years. Last good LP was in '89. At least U2 put out Achtung in '91.

Even questioning if PJ will be inducted in the first year is beyond silly. They're a no-brainer shoo-in. No wonder you mentioned Rush and Metallica. Ha ha. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISIFh8hBz7g
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    DewieCox said:

GreenDay and RHCP are both recent inductees that I would say are easily as relevant as PJ. Chili Peppers have had some lineup changes, but never really missed a beat as far as popularity and pull as a live act. Rush can still bring it, though I think they're a bit of a heritage act at this point. Metallica is one of the biggest bands ever and easily out-clouts PJ in about every sense.

For awhile I wasn't sure PJ would get inducted first go 'round, but i think they're a pretty safe bet at this point. Though, there are still a few acts as deserving, if not more so, that haven't gotten the nod.
    I'll give you green day. But the RHCP while deserving, was not relevant at the time of their induction. Metallica was the biggest band in the world. In 1991. They peaked with the black album and didn't make another good album after Load. Rush, well come on....

In my mind, Pearl Jam could have stopped making albums after yield and they would have been a first ballot band. This is all subjective of course.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    I'd love it to be Uncle Neil or Pete Townsend.
    If not, just to throw another name out there - why not Ben Harper?
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,440
    Bruce
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    joseph33 said:

Just wanted to hear some thoughts on who you think will induct Pearl Jam into the Rock Hall Of Fame in 2016. I have my money on Neil Young inducting them.

Your thread title says Pear Jam. Pretty sure it won't be inducted. :wink:
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412

Green Day are fake punk.

Obviously, that's all mostly a preference thing. I prefer PJ over the other acts too.

Greenday may be fake punk, but they've had a huge album almost 20 years after PJ's last album that was as successful. Still a big draw.

RHCP's more recent run with Frusciante made them one of the biggest bands on the planet. Even without him they are still pretty big.

I agree that Rush is a nostalgia act, but they have put out respectable albums, viewed pretty much the same as PJ's recent output, outside of basically one single. They can still stand toe to toe with any band far as their live show.

I agree about Metallica's modern output, but they're far more influential and had way more success than PJ has throughout their careers.

I agree that it's likely that PJ is first ballot material, but Iron Maiden and Deep Purple missing does kinda make ya wonder.

In my mind, Pearl Jam could have stopped making albums after yield and they would have been a first ballot band. This is all subjective of course.

I agree and I think that almost may have helped them. I like a lot of the material that followed, but I think their reputation really took a hit for one reason or another in the early 2000s. The 20th anniversary and Just Breathe really got them back to a level they hadn't been in awhile.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    Jack Irons?
  • Options
    TyTy Posts: 1,007
    Krusen, Abbruzzesse, Irons yes... not Chamberlain.
    Yeah, someone younger to induct. Or maybe someone we wouldn't expect like Duff or Kim Gordon.
    PJ - Sydney 1998; Sydney 2003; Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle 2006; Melbourne, Sydney 2009; Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney 2014.
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney 2011; Sydney 2014.