Options

Pearl Jam 2016 Rock Hall Of Fame

13»

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833

Pearl Jam will be in the HOF for different reasons than Nirvana. There's not much sense in arguing about which band deserves it more, who was on a higher level, who said what about whom, etc. Their careers and places in music history are on completely different levels and both bands deserve to be in the Hall for the impact they have in music history. Nirvana may have built the house, but Pearl Jam are the ones that moved in and maintained it.

it just came up because I disagreed with people saying pj is a first year lock, and I used nirvana as an example of a band that was a first year lock without a doubt in my eyes. that was all. it kind of took on a life of its own after that!

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,405
    If it was about impact then Kiss would have been in their first year
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    edited February 2015
    I just don't see how anyone would think PJ wouldn't be a first year lock.

I know you said why Hugh, I disagree with your assessment of the bands influence.
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

kiss is a circuis act. and honestly, the reasoning behind who they induct and who they don't is really beyond me. I don't think anyone really knows what they are thinking.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I just don't see how anyone would think PJ wouldn't be a first year lock.

I know you said why Hugh, I disagree with your assessment of the bands influence.

fair enough.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    I posted this link:
    http://grantland.com/features/projecting-the-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-coldplay-adele-radiohead-pearl-jam/
    in an earlier thread. (No, I'm not trying to get anyone "excited" about Taylor Swift)

And then there's this:
    http://www.futurerocklegends.com/year.php?eligible_year=2016
    Although I'm not too sure where they get their data from.
  • Options
    if the RRHOF history of inducting bands that don't necessarily deserve it over those that do, Dave "Yawn" Matthews will probably get in before NIN.

will all of Beyonce's 16 songwriters get in with her? what a joke. it should be about artists, not performers. then again, I guess that would mean Elvis shouldn't be in there either.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

if the RRHOF history of inducting bands that don't necessarily deserve it over those that do, Dave "Yawn" Matthews will probably get in before NIN.

will all of Beyonce's 16 songwriters get in with her? what a joke. it should be about artists, not performers. then again, I guess that would mean Elvis shouldn't be in there either.

That I can agree with.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited February 2015
    rummy said:

joseph33 said:

There was an interview of Kurt a ways back where he stated Ed was a nice guy,he just didnt like their music. He also,thought they jumped the grunge band wagon. Look at his face and body language when he is speaking. He was threatened by a band he was afraid would be bigger than Nirvana,and he was right. Ed's vocal range blows away anything Kurt could ever dream of. I will credit him for being a genius at song writing. Everybody knows the seeds of grunge began with Green River. Two members of that band were not in Nirvana. Could you guess who they might be? Does Nirvana belong to the HOF,absolutely! But make no mistake,Pearl Jam will be in Los Angeles in 2016 to take their rightful place. I will retire this argument with agree to disagree.

Now we are experts on what kurt actually thought when he stated something to the contrary in an interview on tv? A pretty big stretch, i must say.

PJ never eclipsed nirvana. And never will.
    I don't agree...PJ was bigger than Nirvana in 1993... They did indeed surpass them - at least in terms over mass popularity. Don't get me wrong, Nirvana is awesome (I even preferred them back then) but Pj was still ascending during the period of Kurt's ultimate demise.

...I appreciate your statement of "that's just my take on it" as I suppose the above comments are simply my own (fading) memory of how it was over two decades ago.
    That are actually stats you could refer to in order to see who was bigger in 1993. Looking at the chart rankings from that year, it goes Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, U2, Nirvana, Pearl Jam... and Meatloaf.
    So no, Nirvana did not eclipse PJ. It was neck and neck. And a few months later Kurt was dead and Nirvana ceased to exist.
    And i guess it's clear that Nirvana and Pearl Jam weren't THAT huge. They didn't even really get close to beating the soundtrack to a Kevin Costner movie, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237

igotid88 said:

kiss is a circuis act. and honestly, the reasoning behind who they induct and who they don't is really beyond me. I don't think anyone really knows what they are thinking.

Yeah Kiss is clown-like but both Nirvana and Pearl Jam members at one point started to love rock n' roll because of Kiss
  • Options
    broloco said:

igotid88 said:

Yeah Kiss is clown-like but both Nirvana and Pearl Jam members at one point started to love rock n' roll because of Kiss
    they were a good party band back in the day. but hindsight being 20/20.....they are laughable. Hey, I saw them in concert! I liked them as a kid. AS A KID. I'd like to know how many people started liking them as an adult.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

rummy said:

joseph33 said:

There was an interview of Kurt a ways back where he stated Ed was a nice guy,he just didnt like their music. He also,thought they jumped the grunge band wagon. Look at his face and body language when he is speaking. He was threatened by a band he was afraid would be bigger than Nirvana,and he was right. Ed's vocal range blows away anything Kurt could ever dream of. I will credit him for being a genius at song writing. Everybody knows the seeds of grunge began with Green River. Two members of that band were not in Nirvana. Could you guess who they might be? Does Nirvana belong to the HOF,absolutely! But make no mistake,Pearl Jam will be in Los Angeles in 2016 to take their rightful place. I will retire this argument with agree to disagree.

Now we are experts on what kurt actually thought when he stated something to the contrary in an interview on tv? A pretty big stretch, i must say.

I don't agree...PJ was bigger than Nirvana in 1993... They did indeed surpass them - at least in terms over mass popularity. Don't get me wrong, Nirvana is awesome (I even preferred them back then) but Pj was still ascending during the period of Kurt's ultimate demise.

...I appreciate your statement of "that's just my take on it" as I suppose the above comments are simply my own (fading) memory of how it was over two decades ago.
    That are actually stats you could refer to in order to see who was bigger in 1993. Looking at the chart rankings from that year, it goes Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, U2, Nirvana, Pearl Jam... and Meatloaf.
    So no, Nirvana did not eclipse PJ. It was neck and neck. And a few months later Kurt was dead and Nirvana ceased to exist.
    And i guess it's clear that Nirvana and Pearl Jam weren't THAT huge. They didn't even really get close to beating the soundtrack to a Kevin Costner movie, lol.
    but that actually WAS a big deal back then. back then, pop music was king. for nirvana and pearl jam to be in the same company as those in terms of mass popularity was a massive achievement for music.

Meatloaf. ugh. there's a guy at work who is his biggest fan. travels to see him like we travel to see pj. I. JUST. DON'T. GET. IT.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625

PJ_Soul said:

rummy said:

joseph33 said:

but that actually WAS a big deal back then. back then, pop music was king. for nirvana and pearl jam to be in the same company as those in terms of mass popularity was a massive achievement for music.

Meatloaf. ugh. there's a guy at work who is his biggest fan. travels to see him like we travel to see pj. I. JUST. DON'T. GET. IT.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    For better or worse, we could start talking about that Time magazine cover from 1993...
  • Options
    rummy said:

For better or worse, we could start talking about that Time magazine cover from 1993...

time wanted both of them, did they not? my memory may be foggy on that story.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I have never been a kiss fan. I would say that the makeup and gene Simmons constant self promotion is a good reason why they aren't in the Hof. (At least I think they're not in the hall. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong).

They have one song that has stood the test of time. The rest of their music is very dated and quite simply not that good. I know Mike is a huge kiss fan, and he was supposedly influenced by them. I don't hear it in his guitar play. Can anyone think of an example of a shred by Mike that can said to be a kiss influenced lick?
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,405

I have never been a kiss fan. I would say that the makeup and gene Simmons constant self promotion is a good reason why they aren't in the Hof. (At least I think they're not in the hall. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong).

They have one song that has stood the test of time. The rest of their music is very dated and quite simply not that good. I know Mike is a huge kiss fan, and he was supposedly influenced by them. I don't hear it in his guitar play. Can anyone think of an example of a shred by Mike that can said to be a kiss influenced lick?

They were inducted last year. And the Alive riff was inspired by the song "She" I believe.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I think a lot of the Alive solo was lifted from She, which was lifted from The Doors' Five to One.

About any of McCready's lead playing on mid tempo rockers can be traced pretty easily to Kiss. Not to say those licks originated with Kiss, but with McCready's constant profession of his fandom, it's likely where he picked them up.

Kiss has become a joke, but they really have a lot of classic tunes and helped set the standard for big rock shows. Not really musically original in the slightest, but responsible for more people pickng up guitars that any other band.
  • Options
    I guess I'll have to listen to she. I'm not sure I've ever heard it. Rock n roll all night is the only kiss song that I can listen to the entire way through. I used to like the song beth, but really I just cringe when I hear it today. I just don't like them.

Could you imagine the smile on Mike's face if kiss inducted them?
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,210
    DewieCox said:

I think a lot of the Alive solo was lifted from She, which was lifted from The Doors' Five to One.

About any of McCready's lead playing on mid tempo rockers can be traced pretty easily to Kiss. Not to say those licks originated with Kiss, but with McCready's constant profession of his fandom, it's likely where he picked them up.

Kiss has become a joke, but they really have a lot of classic tunes and helped set the standard for big rock shows. Not really musically original in the slightest, but responsible for more people pickng up guitars that any other band.

I saw an interview awhile back where Mike said the solo in Alive was his imitation of a Stevie Ray Vaughn solo.
  • Options
    alright, I'll say it: Mike has TERRIBLE taste in music.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    joseph33 said:

I saw an interview awhile back where Mike said the solo in Alive was his imitation of a Stevie Ray Vaughn solo.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/pearl-jams-mike-mccready-talks-kiss-obsession-and-influence-20140403

About 1/3 of the way down, 2 paragraphs under the Black Diamond video. I've read similar things in a few other articles. Guitar World's 100 greatest solos and maybe his 60 minutes.

I believe his SRV imitation comes in Evenflow. At the St Lou 2010 show he rips on a few lines of some SRV tune before they play it.
  • Options

alright, I'll say it: Mike has TERRIBLE taste in music.

It's definitely a lot of miss among a few big hits.
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    Nirvana's sole claim to fame can be overtaking the #1 spot on Billboard previously occupied by Michael Jackson. That feat shocked the music industry enough to open a whole genre of music to the mainstream.
    There is no reason to compare the two bands pound for pound. Nirvana for opening eyes and Pearl Jam for longevity.
  • Options
    Haha. Sole claim to fame. Right. Will you be here all week? Lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,018
    edited May 2019
    Man, the bump made me think someone had unearthed a clip of Dave A coming out after Krusen ripping into Rearviewmirror.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"