Options

BILL COSBY IS A CONVICTED RAPIST

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I was surprised to read one of his victims said she hopes it's over and they don't retry, as cosby has been through enough. wow. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    I was surprised to read one of his victims said she hopes it's over and they don't retry, as cosby has been through enough. wow. 

Well, there's 2 sides to this.  Remember the victims go through this all again and while a couple are willing and have the more intense lift, it does bring back memories and considering health and everything else, I'm not that surprised by this. It's easy for us to sit on the sideline and say - they should nail this guy up w/o having to go through that emotional component knowing that in all likelihood will result in another hung jury (it only takes 1 and it's mostly a he said/she said which whatever we think is not an ideal case to layout ever let alone this many years after the fact).

Add to it a snippet like that is not necessarily the entirety of the thought process of the quoted person.

The fact is, this case once again shows what many want to ignore - the justice system is NOT colorblind.  Just not in the way some would like to say it isn't.  Green wins again, unfortunately.

Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options

Well, there's 2 sides to this.  Remember the victims go through this all again and while a couple are willing and have the more intense lift, it does bring back memories and considering health and everything else, I'm not that surprised by this. It's easy for us to sit on the sideline and say - they should nail this guy up w/o having to go through that emotional component knowing that in all likelihood will result in another hung jury (it only takes 1 and it's mostly a he said/she said which whatever we think is not an ideal case to layout ever let alone this many years after the fact).

Add to it a snippet like that is not necessarily the entirety of the thought process of the quoted person.

The fact is, this case once again shows what many want to ignore - the justice system is NOT colorblind.  Just not in the way some would like to say it isn't.  Green wins again, unfortunately.

yeah, I know, you just don't often hear any sympathy for the accused from one of the accusers. it's usually framed as "I don't want to go through this again", not "he's been through enough". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    This thread is oddly out of place on AET.

Should be moved to AMT.
    Harder to troll here, we know. But keep trying. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited June 2017
    dankind said:

Should be moved to AMT.
    Because everyone thinks of AET when they want to discuss rape.
    Seriously, move it.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,226
    1) Yes, he is.

2) I find it fascinating that, as far as I can tell, all of the posters on this thread, with one or maybe two exceptions, are male.

3) The burden of proof is always on the prosecution in a criminal trial, hence the saying "innocent until proven guilty." Rape is pecuiar in that, during the trial, the victim's history often gets prosecuted alongside the alleged perpetrator. Imagine that someone was on trial for running an auto theft ring, and the defense argued that those people whose cars were stolen bear part of the blame, because they should have known better than to park them on the street in this part of town or another, or to be out driving late at night.

4) "What about innocent until proven guilty?!?" Yes, what about it, indeed? If you are charged with a crime and brought to trial, again, the burden is on the prosecution to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that you are guilty. Until they do so, you are presumed innocent.
    That doesn't mean that the general public is required to withold its opinions, though -- and, given that nearly sixty women have accused Cosby of rape, I believe them (I also believe him, and his talk of Quaaludes and Spanish fly; I also believe that the pussy-grabber does indeed enjoy grabbing women by the genitals, and I believe that OJ killed Ron Brown and Nicole Simpson.)

This is similar to people screaming about the First Amendment -- a general misunderstanding of what a concept means. The First Amendment protects you from being thrown in jail for being a member of the Westboro Baptist Church or for posting disgusting, racist crap on Facebook; it does NOT protect you from losing your job for doing those things, and it doesn't protect you from having someone else alert your employer to your obnoxious behavior.

My thoughts, speaking as a woman:
    A) Tina Fey made allusions to Cosby being a rapist waaaaay back when she hosted "Weekend Update" on SNL. The rumors were around for YEARS. They did not gain any traction until Hannibal Buress called out Cosby during his performance.
    little a) What really bums me out is that there are open secrets like this about other famous, powerful men, and nobody is doing anything about it. Too many people want to believe that rich, famous, talented people somehow are above behaving badly; it's just not true. And I'm not talking about the rumors relating to our current president. Too many other people stand to lose money or prestige if the guilty person is brought down (Penn State, anyone?).

B) What about false accusations? Well, false accusations suck. The Duke lacrosse players were falsely accused of rape, and it did a lot of damage to their reputations. But if you think that there is a 1:1 correlation, one false claim for one legitimate accusation, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you need to go find some female friends and ask them about their experiences with sexual assault and harassment; I think it will be an eye-opening experience for you.

C) Why don't women speak up? Um, seriously? Go back and read through this thread -- that's why. Too many questions: Are you a virgin? What were you wearing? Were you drinking? Why did you agree to get in a car with him? Where were your friends? Why were you out alone? Well, if he drugged you and you can't remember anything, how do you know you were raped? Are you sure you didn't send mixed signals? Did you fight back? Did you fight back HARD? Are you sure you aren't just trying to get back at him because he wasn't interested in you? Maybe you're jealous? Maybe you're just desperate for attention? It's just your word against his, and you say that you blacked out, so really we just have his word to go on, and he says it was consensual. Oh, come on, who'd want to rape someone who looks like you?!? Does he seem like the kind of guy who has to take what he wants by force? I bet women are throwing themselves at him all the time!

Etc. etc. etc.
    Given the odds of arrest, the odds of getting to trial, the odds of a conviction, the grilling they will have to endure themselves, it's really no wonder that many women never even bother to report what happened.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    edited June 2017

dankind said:

Should be moved to AMT.
    Seriously, move it.

Post edited by Malroth on
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Malroth said:

dankind said:

Should be moved to AMT.
    Seriously, move it.

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,244
    dankind said:

Should be moved to AMT.
    Seriously, move it.

Awww....this seems to really bother you, huh?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    ^^^

No it doesn't bother me.  But since this place is not to be used as a chatroom....
    The thread titles of this place seem oddly out of place compared to this one.
    I think you would get more results if you moved it to AMT.

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,177
    1) Yes, he is.

2) I find it fascinating that, as far as I can tell, all of the posters on this thread, with one or maybe two exceptions, are male.

3) The burden of proof is always on the prosecution in a criminal trial, hence the saying "innocent until proven guilty." Rape is pecuiar in that, during the trial, the victim's history often gets prosecuted alongside the alleged perpetrator. Imagine that someone was on trial for running an auto theft ring, and the defense argued that those people whose cars were stolen bear part of the blame, because they should have known better than to park them on the street in this part of town or another, or to be out driving late at night.

4) "What about innocent until proven guilty?!?" Yes, what about it, indeed? If you are charged with a crime and brought to trial, again, the burden is on the prosecution to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that you are guilty. Until they do so, you are presumed innocent.
    That doesn't mean that the general public is required to withold its opinions, though -- and, given that nearly sixty women have accused Cosby of rape, I believe them (I also believe him, and his talk of Quaaludes and Spanish fly; I also believe that the pussy-grabber does indeed enjoy grabbing women by the genitals, and I believe that OJ killed Ron Brown and Nicole Simpson.)

This is similar to people screaming about the First Amendment -- a general misunderstanding of what a concept means. The First Amendment protects you from being thrown in jail for being a member of the Westboro Baptist Church or for posting disgusting, racist crap on Facebook; it does NOT protect you from losing your job for doing those things, and it doesn't protect you from having someone else alert your employer to your obnoxious behavior.

My thoughts, speaking as a woman:
    A) Tina Fey made allusions to Cosby being a rapist waaaaay back when she hosted "Weekend Update" on SNL. The rumors were around for YEARS. They did not gain any traction until Hannibal Buress called out Cosby during his performance.
    little a) What really bums me out is that there are open secrets like this about other famous, powerful men, and nobody is doing anything about it. Too many people want to believe that rich, famous, talented people somehow are above behaving badly; it's just not true. And I'm not talking about the rumors relating to our current president. Too many other people stand to lose money or prestige if the guilty person is brought down (Penn State, anyone?).

B) What about false accusations? Well, false accusations suck. The Duke lacrosse players were falsely accused of rape, and it did a lot of damage to their reputations. But if you think that there is a 1:1 correlation, one false claim for one legitimate accusation, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you need to go find some female friends and ask them about their experiences with sexual assault and harassment; I think it will be an eye-opening experience for you.

C) Why don't women speak up? Um, seriously? Go back and read through this thread -- that's why. Too many questions: Are you a virgin? What were you wearing? Were you drinking? Why did you agree to get in a car with him? Where were your friends? Why were you out alone? Well, if he drugged you and you can't remember anything, how do you know you were raped? Are you sure you didn't send mixed signals? Did you fight back? Did you fight back HARD? Are you sure you aren't just trying to get back at him because he wasn't interested in you? Maybe you're jealous? Maybe you're just desperate for attention? It's just your word against his, and you say that you blacked out, so really we just have his word to go on, and he says it was consensual. Oh, come on, who'd want to rape someone who looks like you?!? Does he seem like the kind of guy who has to take what he wants by force? I bet women are throwing themselves at him all the time!

Etc. etc. etc.
    Given the odds of arrest, the odds of getting to trial, the odds of a conviction, the grilling they will have to endure themselves, it's really no wonder that many women never even bother to report what happened.

well said

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Options
    ^^^

No it doesn't bother me.  But since this place is not to be used as a chatroom....

Why don't you start your own community forum and police it as you see fit?

Leave us the hell alone!

We also have threads here on vaccination and gun ownership. 

Worlds are colliding!
    https://youtu.be/uPG3YMcSvzo
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    ^^^

Seems like it's bothering you....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    ^^^

Seems like it's bothering you....

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    dankind said:

Should be moved to AMT.
    Seriously, move it.

• Options
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Bill Cosby is going to teach seminars on how to avoid sexual assault.

http://time.com/4829192/bill-cosby-teach-youth-avoid-sexual-assault/
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,191
    Jason P said:

lesson #1: don't take a drink from Bill Cosby
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    edited June 2017
    pjhawks said:
    Jason P said:

Um, if you read this it is actually about how to avoid sexual assault allegations, not sexual assault.  You cannot make this stuff up.

"The laws are changing, the statute of limitations for victims of sexual assault are being extended, so this is why people need to be educated on a brush against the shoulder," she said. "Because anything at this point can be considered sexual assault and it is a good thing to be educated about the laws."
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,191
    pjhawks said:
    Jason P said:

Um, if you read this it is actually about how to avoid sexual assault allegations, not sexual assault.  You cannot make this stuff up.

"The laws are changing, the statute of limitations for victims of sexual assault are being extended, so this is why people need to be educated on a brush against the shoulder," she said. "Because anything at this point can be considered sexual assault and it is a good thing to be educated about the laws."
    ah i did not read the article ,just the headline.

that being said how to avoid sexual assault allegations...don't drug women and then admit you give drugs to women for sex which Cosby did.

and yea Bill it was a brush against the shoulder that caused something like 65 women to accuse you of sexual assault. what an asshat.

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Jason P said:

Unreal.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    Jason P said:

Unreal.
    Surprised this isn't from The Onion
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
    Jason P said:

Is this due to a guilty conscience?  An attempt to clear his name?  A behind the scenes plea bargain?  Who knows.

On the one hand, if it prevents an unsuspecting person from falling prey to foul play, that's great, but who could sit and listen to him talk on this subject without a little hesitation or doubt or bias or downright suspicion of motivation?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    edited June 2017
    brianlux said:
    Jason P said:

Is this due to a guilty conscience?  An attempt to clear his name?  A behind the scenes plea bargain?  Who knows.

On the one hand, if it prevents an unsuspecting person from falling prey to foul play, that's great, but who could sit and listen to him talk on this subject without a little hesitation or doubt or bias or downright suspicion of motivation?
    Read the article. It is not about how to avoid being a victim. It's about how to avoid being accused. Insanity
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
    brianlux said:
    Jason P said:

Read the article. It is not about how to avoid being a victim. It's about how to avoid being accused. Insanity
    I did read it but reading it again... well hell's bells, I think you're right.  Damn.  Son of a bitch.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,226
    Jason P said:

Some suggested this might be useful for him:

https://slutwalkphoenix.wordpress.com/how-to-prevent-rape/

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

I can only imagine the protests that are going to come about wherever these seminars take place. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    chinese-happy.jpg