Cannot believe what I saw in Seattle today

13»

Comments

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    benjs said:

The Akkus said:

The Akkus said:

Gonna get worse and worse as more jobs are phased out by robots. How many jobs do ya think have been lost due to self-checkouts at grocery stores?

Like 4 or so...
    Yeah, you are probably about right,

So heres a real life scenario for you... at my local variety store they have 8 self serve checkouts. The store is open for 12 hours so theres 2 shifts equally 16 jobs. Now we all know how much companies love to employ casual staff so lets add another 8 to that job estimate and weve got 24 jobs lost to self serve registers. I guess we can make allowances for busy v quiet times during the trading day plus the fact that they'll have 1 real life human manning the only open non self serve register(and we all know there's only the 1 cause the store hopes people will get jack of waiting. in line to be served and give up and use the self serve) and the 4 jobs you 2 think are lost due to automation looks a little weak.
    I'm not sure this argument has any place in this thread unless we can correlate a boost in homelessness with the beginning of the industrial era, at least fifty years ago. To say that the era of automation is just beginning now is just not true. The intelligence of the automation may be rapidly progressing, but that's it. Frankly it's a good thing in my books that those of us doing more than menial tasks should have to react to potentially becoming redundant the way those just following orders for a job have had to for a long time now. The smartest or most skilled people in the room have been permitted to continue their day to day lives unaffected for too long while the struggle has affected the poorest.
    I was specifically replying to the posts regarding the loss of just 4 jobs due to self serve check outs and the agreeance of that, nothing more.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    I know that in real life a number of jobs in our area have been lost to automation. The argument for automated work (and in some cases I would agree) is that it relieves people of having to do mundane jobs. The only problem is that there are people who are happy doing mundane work- maybe not a lot of people, but there are people like that and they (and we) are better off when they are working than when not. The other thing is, one of our local stores put in a half dozen automated teller machines and put some people out of work and their jobs were not always dull and routine because in that store employees are shifted around from register to customer service, to stocking shelves, etc. So a store with some good ideas made what I believe is a really bad move.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    PJ_Soul said:

There are tons of homeless people in Seattle, Vancouver... and all.down the west coast. This is because of the mild winters. It's just too cold during the winter months everywhere else in North America outside of the southern states, so the homeless tend to migrate to these cities. The west coast cities should do a better job of acknowledging this fact and do more to help these people (the majority of whom are mentally ill - about 65% of them, supposedly).

Well that's right...No Human being should go without the basic Human necessities in Health...Food and Shelter.
  • Options
    The Akkus said:

Gonna get worse and worse as more jobs are phased out by robots. How many jobs do ya think have been lost due to self-checkouts at grocery stores?

Well I can imagine quite a few...when you have like one Checkout open and fifty People lined up ready to be served then obviously People are going to use the Self serve checkouts and the stores know this...Good way to Maximise profits.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited November 2014
    I like self service checkouts. Faster and more accurate.

As to job reduction would guess overall payroll in stores didn't go down significantly. Management, stocking, merchansing, cleaning are unaffected. So some, sure but a lot, doubt it. Have managed retail shops so know bit about total labor.

As to homeless, in city almost daily and see and interact with homeless. Panhandlers and watch them with interest. Many are mentally challenged. Many are drunk and many appear to be down on their luck. So mixed bag. Are some lazy, of course but many aren't. Think just makes it palatable for some to write them off as lazy. In my state funding for mentally hill has gone down so they are now on the streets.

Had person I work with making $150k plus say she doesn't worry about homeless as God will take care of them. Completely absolved her guilt. Think those that say they are just lazy do the same.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    DischordVisionDischordVision SEAttle by way of WNY Posts: 532
    anyone who is lazy and delusional enough to think that the mindfuck mentality of a God or Gods is in it's will or takes care of anyone I say this-
    Look at history!! nothing is looking out for us regardless of who you are. anyone who says otherwise is full of shit or trying to sell something.
    U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
  • Options
    Staceb10Staceb10 Posts: 682
    Homeless in all major cities. Portland was like a homeless shelter when I went last year.
  • Options
    callen said:

I like self service checkouts. Faster and more accurate.

As to job reduction would guess overall payroll in stores didn't go down significantly. Management, stocking, merchansing, cleaning are unaffected. So some, sure but a lot, doubt it. Have managed retail shops so know bit about total labor.

As to homeless, in city almost daily and see and interact with homeless. Panhandlers and watch them with interest. Many are mentally challenged. Many are drunk and many appear to be down on their luck. So mixed bag. Are some lazy, of course but many aren't. Think just makes it palatable for some to write them off as lazy. In my state funding for mentally hill has gone down so they are now on the streets.

Had person I work with making $150k plus say she doesn't worry about homeless as God will take care of them. Completely absolved her guilt. Think those that say they are just lazy do the same.

With regards to your opinion on the Self Service checkouts the Shops know this and that's why they have them...also if they're going to use Self service checkouts shouldn't they like lower the goods in store by like 10% anyway that's my opinion.

Of course there are all sorts of people who are Homeless...but no one has a right to judge those People of there background or whatever...the thing is no one should go without shelter and you state the funding of your area for mentally ill patients has gone down...see it's stuff like that which does not help the cause.
  • Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    there's alot of passing disparagement against the homeless in this thread. yet i haven't seen anyone address the fact that rents in Seattle have skyrocketed (in some cases doubled) over the past couple of years...where are all the people displaced by these greedy landlords demanding huge rental increases supposed to go?

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/fyi-guy/2014/09/18/census-seattle-saw-steepest-rent-hike-among-major-u-s-cities/

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Displaced-tenants-march-in-protest-of-skyrocketing-rents-256919301.html

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2021673014_rentincreasesxml.html

http://kuow.org/post/why-are-seattle-area-rents-skyrocketing

http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/06/real_estate/tech-worker-rents/
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    prism said:

there's alot of passing disparagement against the homeless in this thread. yet i haven't seen anyone address the fact that rents in Seattle have skyrocketed (in some cases doubled) over the past couple of years...where are all the people displaced by these greedy landlords demanding huge rental increases supposed to go?

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/fyi-guy/2014/09/18/census-seattle-saw-steepest-rent-hike-among-major-u-s-cities/

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Displaced-tenants-march-in-protest-of-skyrocketing-rents-256919301.html

A very good point, prism, and one I would not have caught as I have no idea what has been happening with rents in Seattle. I do know that I also live in a city with high average rents, although not as bad as in Vancouver, and a massive shortage of affordable housing. For instance, for an individual supported on a provincial disability pension (for a physical or mental disability), the designated "shelter" portion (rent) is more than $200 less than even the lowest rents in our city. Presumably the person needs to make up that $200 or more from the money they are supposed to spend on food, clothing, and other necessities, leaving them often with almost nothing for the month.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

prism said:

A very good point, prism, and one I would not have caught as I have no idea what has been happening with rents in Seattle. I do know that I also live in a city with high average rents, although not as bad as in Vancouver, and a massive shortage of affordable housing. For instance, for an individual supported on a provincial disability pension (for a physical or mental disability), the designated "shelter" portion (rent) is more than $200 less than even the lowest rents in our city. Presumably the person needs to make up that $200 or more from the money they are supposed to spend on food, clothing, and other necessities, leaving them often with almost nothing for the month.
    i'm not at all surprised to hear that. we used to live in Victoria back in the late 80's..so im a lil bit aware about the increasing rental cost there.

a couple i know well live in Vic are in their late 60's, they had to sell their nice 2-bd townhouse which left them with just enough to cover the first, last and security on a 1-br apt. between both their pensions they've barely enough to make rent...now instead of enjoying retirement both are working part time jobs to cover food and all other basic living expenses... :(

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    as seen in this thread unfortunately scapegoating those with the least means of preventing homeless isn't unique in much of the US (CA too.) a hundred + yrs ago it was the robber barons blaming the working poor for being lazy...those that fought for better living standards and formed unions were demonized

nothings really changed now except it's corporate downsizing and they're called CEO's and real estate barons. just take a look around ...most americans still vote to favor the 1% and think workers and/or tenants unions are the evil bad guys once again...not to mention all the homeless veterans...
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    ^^^ Great points, prism.
    The same is VERY true with San Francisco. I 1970 I shared a nice three bedroom upstairs flat with a couple of roommates in the upper Haight. We had a great view to the north the encompassed a large section of the city including the Golden Gate Bridge in the distance. Along with the flat we had sole use of the garage downstairs, use of the back yard, access to the roof and always plenty of free street parking. Our rent was $200/month plus electricity (no charge for water or sewer). In today's dollar (using an inflation calculator) that comes to $1,171.10. The median rent in San Francisco is now $3,200 per month and one-bedroom apartments go for $2,000 per month and up. Yeow! So yes, where did all the displaced people go? Very sad state of affairs.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    prism said:

as seen in this thread unfortunately scapegoating those with the least means of preventing homeless isn't unique in much of the US (CA too.) a hundred + yrs ago it was the robber barons blaming the working poor for being lazy...those that fought for better living standards and formed unions were demonized

nothings really changed now except it's corporate downsizing and they're called CEO's and real estate barons. just take a look around ...most americans still vote to favor the 1% and think workers and/or tenants unions are the evil bad guys once again...not to mention all the homeless veterans...

Your last passage and the truth of it is very frustrating. Even when gross corruption and greed is exposed... some make excuses instead of feeling outraged.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Just read a story about a 90-year-old WWII veteran in Florida who was arrested for feeding homeless people. Some screwy laws out there (well, all over, but this one floored me).