Options

Australia and NZ tour rumours going around Part 3 (No Bullshit)

Comments

• Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    bazzer wrote:
    doompony wrote:
    every year we have this bdo rumour. every year. if it turns out to be true i would be so disappointed. i wouldn't be all "oh yay pj are coming!" i'd be all "fucking bdo sucks nuts. worst. clusterfuck. ever."

and then sulk.
    When was the last time you went to the resurrected BDO at Western Springs?

Come on. They couldn't keep bdo running in nz. It declined every year. Didn't they give up and give tickets away last time?
  • Options
    Princess BulldozerPrincess Bulldozer Mannheim, Germany Posts: 952
    doompony wrote:
    bazzer wrote:
    doompony wrote:
    every year we have this bdo rumour. every year. if it turns out to be true i would be so disappointed. i wouldn't be all "oh yay pj are coming!" i'd be all "fucking bdo sucks nuts. worst. clusterfuck. ever."

and then sulk.
    When was the last time you went to the resurrected BDO at Western Springs?

Come on. They couldn't keep bdo running in nz. It declined every year. Didn't they give up and give tickets away last time?

I don't know about the tickets thing, but they didn't play in NZ this year, right? Why not?
    Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    I believe it was losing money?
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Yeah, not enough people I think. I went last year(got a free ticket, went for Soundgarden) & the place was empty! Felt like about 1/4, maybe 1/3 capacity at the most.

I think Western Springs will revitalise it for sure. It's easier to get to for a start which will help. Turn out depends heaps on the line-up of course so we'll see next week. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    morello wrote:
    Yeah, not enough people I think. I went last year(got a free ticket, went for Soundgarden) & the place was empty! Felt like about 1/4, maybe 1/3 capacity at the most.

I think Western Springs will revitalise it for sure. It's easier to get to for a start which will help. Turn out depends heaps on the line-up of course so we'll see next week. :)

If it is yes for PJ at BDO, will you come this side of the ditch for a few shows?
    Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    Miss ColadaMiss Colada Posts: 167
    The Adelaide BDO is moving away from the usual show ground location, into parklands app due to the fact of an extra headline act. Possibly the only adv of BDO is last yr my cousin walked up to the front row 10mins beforehand for the killers...
    1995 • 2006 • 2009 • Adelaide
    2007 • Wembley - London
    2009 • Melbourne
    2010 • Madison Square Garden
  • Options
    morello wrote:

If it is yes for PJ at BDO, will you come this side of the ditch for a few shows?
    Really not sure. For the BDO maybe not. Cost of tickets'd be more than flights I expect! :o + festivals are pretty full on so dunno I'd have the stamina for multiple festival days. :lol:8-)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
  • Options
    morello wrote:
    morello wrote:

Really not sure. For the BDO maybe not. Cost of tickets'd be more than flights I expect! :o + festivals are pretty full on so dunno I'd have the stamina for multiple festival days. :lol:8-)

Maybe 10C can get a discount for multiple shows or something?! We can hope, or even ask!
    I won't be doing full festival days, I would go later in the day, after the summer sun has disappeared and hope for the best in terms of spot infront of the stage.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    The Adelaide BDO is moving away from the usual show ground location, into parklands app due to the fact of an extra headline act. Possibly the only adv of BDO is last yr my cousin walked up to the front row 10mins beforehand for the killers...

How? Don't they lock down the front section pretty early?
  • Options
    doompony wrote:

How? Don't they lock down the front section pretty early?

They used to do the lock of the D and then the evac of the D after certain acts, but I can't remember when that stopped.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    morello wrote:

morello wrote:

Maybe 10C can get a discount for multiple shows or something?! We can hope, or even ask!
    I won't be doing full festival days, I would go later in the day, after the summer sun has disappeared and hope for the best in terms of spot infront of the stage.
    Hmmm, yeah depends how much then., If it's NZ$195 like I'm hearing then no fucking way! I honesty dunno if i'd even go to the Auckland BDO for that much, even with the PJ guys playing.
    <hr>
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    So what makes BDO such a clusterfuck?

As someone who's got nowhere to be for the majority of the month of January, this interests me. ;)
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    duska3419 wrote:

As someone who's got nowhere to be for the majority of the month of January, this interests me. ;)

That's just the opinion of some people. Some people hate BDO cause of the crowds, young people, summer heat, shortened set ect but personally I think BDO is fun and exciting!
    Pearl Jam Pearl Jam Pearl Jam!

I'm looking to buy a single ticket to Ed's Sydney Opera House show, PM me if you've got a spare! I don't care where the seat is! :D
  • Options
    duska3419 wrote:

The general thought on the festival goers that attend Australian festivals is they go to get drunk/take pills and take FB photos with their friends.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    My experience with Bdo is they have a tendency to crumble due to terrible organisation. If you're not close you may as well not be there. The sound from anywhere other than the front is awful... Like listening to music from outside of a parked car. They lock down the area in front of the main stage. You may have a plan in place but you'll be shit outta luck if you don't plan for half an hour getting from one place to another. Plus the aforementioned douchebag hipsters on party pills.

It's just not the type of place you'd want to see your favourite band. Because there's a higher than average chance that you'll be disappointed with the experience.

I've been five times. They got worse each year.
  • Options
    The barriers are different now, it's not that strict lock down they had a few years back, I'm not sure when that changed. If they are on the bill, I hope a big boiler room act is announced so the 'youngies' will head over there. I've always had fun at BDO as I hang out with friends, make new ones and check out acts I wouldn't normally. Just prepare yourself mentally for the 'short shorts' and people who can't pace themselves. You make the day however you want it to be. On a side note, OMG I am counting down to The National Saturday night :D:D:D
    2007 • Wembley - London
    2009 • Melbourne
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    duska3419 wrote:

The general thought on the festival goers that attend Australian festivals is they go to get drunk/take pills and take FB photos with their friends.
    The thing is, in my opinion, I go to a concert because I really enjoy that band. So many people that go to the BDO, mainly young people but there are some dickhead exceptions, go there purely to get wasted and have no freakin idea who the hell is playing. These people ruin it for the folks who genuinely want to see the show.
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    Just to add, I know that the above happens at every concert but BDO seems notorious for it. It's known for being a teen hangout rather than a concert for music lovers.
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
  • Options
    Loulou wrote:
    Just to add, I know that the above happens at every concert but BDO seems notorious for it. It's known for being a teen hangout rather than a concert for music lovers.

Indeed just make sure to bring your rose colored glasses! Hey if they play BDO let's be thankful they're visiting Oz again ( preference is solo shows)
    2007 • Wembley - London
    2009 • Melbourne
  • Options
    So let's say PJ IS headlining BDO. Would that mean they'd be playing all 7 of the BDO dates? Or is it the type of festival that has a new act headlining each day?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd never ever heard of this show before, and it's a looooooong trip from New York. ;)
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    They would do all 7 shows.
    If it gets announced ill make a new thread with travel tips etc for everyone.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    Loulou wrote:

Indeed just make sure to bring your rose colored glasses! Hey if they play BDO let's be thankful they're visiting Oz again ( preference is solo shows)
    I'm a little disappointed that its a festival after 4 years but beggers can't be choosers can they? I'm just going to make the most of it and try to ignore the obnoxious. ;):D

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,698
    Thanks for the info on the Big Day Out everyone .. I had no idea.

What do they have in the "Boileroom"?

I thought the two "headliners" played at different stages at the same time. eg. in 2012 Soundgarden was on at about the same time as Kanye West. I remember Cornell got pissed off at soundbleed from Kanye's stage and made a stupid comment about it sounding like retarded children which offended some people.

Anyway it hasn't been officially confirmed yet. We won't know the lineup until July 31.

There's a chance we could end up with no PJ at all next year.

:?
  • Options
    E.K wrote:
    Thanks for the info on the Big Day Out everyone .. I had no idea.

What do they have in the "Boileroom"?

I thought the two "headliners" played at different stages at the same time. eg. in 2012 Soundgarden was on at about the same time as Kanye West. I remember Cornell got pissed off at soundbleed from Kanye's stage and made a stupid comment about it sounding like retarded children which offended some people.

Anyway it hasn't been officially confirmed yet. We won't know the lineup until July 31.

There's a chance we could end up with no PJ at all next year.

:?

Boiler room tends to have acts that are more 'dance' orientated. Usually headliners are not on at the same time - last year it was The Killers & RHCP 30mins later (if i recall correctly). Kanye didn't come to Adelaide so not too sure what happened there. But there is usually a Boiler room act scheduled at roughly the same time as headliner on the main stage. Usually those stages aren't that close.

If anyone enjoys people watching, BDO provides lots of opportunities :lol:
    2007 • Wembley - London
    2009 • Melbourne
  • Options
    Remember times vary across cities. Main stages usually go on one after another at Gold Coast with acts switching between two stages that act as the main stage.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    i had a dream that they announced an aus/nz tour and when i went to buy a ticket, i couldn't find anywhere in NZ that sold them because all the advertising and hype was about Australia and someone forgot to organise the actual NZ stuff.
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    duska3419 wrote:
    So let's say PJ IS headlining BDO. Would that mean they'd be playing all 7 of the BDO dates? Or is it the type of festival that has a new act headlining each day?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd never ever heard of this show before, and it's a looooooong trip from New York. ;)

It is only a 1 day festival, not a multi day, so if they do play, then you can assume that they will be the headline act.
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    ZimzuMZimzuM Posts: 209
    A radio station reported a 'leak' in the lineup and according to them Pearl Jam will be announced as the headline act today.

What do people think the chances are of side shows? I know in Melbourne the usual venue of Rod LAver Arena will be in Tennis mode. You would think BDO organisers wouldnt let a Etihad show which would harm the BDO. So Music Bowl seems the only option. I'd really like at least one side show so we can use our 10C.
    2/3/98 Melbourne, 18/2/03 Melbourne, 19/2/03 Melbourne, 20/2/03 Melbourne, 4/9/06 Lisbon, 5/9/06 Lisbon, 7/9/06 Madrid, 9/9/06 Marsielle, 11/9/06 Paris, 7/11/06 Sydney, 8/11/06 Sydney, 10/11/06 Brisbane, 11/11/06 Brisbane, 13/11/06 Melbourne, 14/11/06 Melbourne, 16/11/06 Melbourne, 20/11/00 Melbourne
  • Options
    duska3419 wrote:

It is only a 1 day festival, not a multi day, so if they do play, then you can assume that they will be the headline act.

sorry, i know it's only one day in each place but i was asking if PJ would be headlining each time. But I think someone already answered that.

I know it's only 6 hours to go but I should be sleeping during that time and I am WAY too excited.
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,698
    duska3419 wrote:
    duska3419 wrote:

sorry, i know it's only one day in each place but i was asking if PJ would be headlining each time. But I think someone already answered that.

I know it's only 6 hours to go but I should be sleeping during that time and I am WAY too excited.

I can't believe we have someone from the US staying up for the announcement. :lol: